Breeding

RexEd

I've been playing ark for about a year or two already and still have lots to learn. I've recently been getting into breeding and would like you breeding Pros to give me a hint or two about breeding. Anything I should look out for taming wise, what babies should I keep, the best ways to go by breeding super dinos, I just want to learn!

I'm just learning myself.

A few tips for you...

1) Don't primarily think 'levels'. Breeding involves looking deeper at the actual stats, which ones matter, which ones don't. Remember that the Dino's 'level' is really just an accumulation of points that were 'spent' on its stats. So a Dino can be high level but all of its leveling points may have been spent on less important or useless stats. I've found myself hatching lower level dinos, that were actually better than other higher level hatches, just because of where those points went in the stats. On some servers there's a level cap I believe, so lower level dinos with their points focused on the right stats are actually more prized than higher level dinos that are that much closer to the level cap. 

2) Initially, you want to aim for a solid mating pair, where the stats that are important are close or even the same, allowing less room for inferior variations. I tried to tame the highest level dinos I could with good stats placement, but in some cases I've had to settle for a lesser mate to start off with, then breed a better mate to use as an 'upgrade'. 

3) You can quickly get overwhelmed with dinos if you aren't sure what to keep. Especially when you start getting mutation variations before you're ready for that stage of breeding, and you feel like you need to keep them. This can then lead to a flurry of dino purging once you get tired of all the dinos. I've found that I have to slow myself down and really focus on the next step. Kill what you don't immediately need, but think twice before you pull the 'e' gun trigger - check stats and don't just look at the level of the dino in question. 

4) Try to get your head around when you want 'clean' dinos and when you want to see 'mutations'. Each has a purpose but often your looking for one when the other shows up and you have to be objective about your immediate goals. 

Again... this is coming from someone else who's just learning.

I two have started breeding already bred owls, wolves, thulas and ravages on my single player world. All colour mutations not really worried bout stats. If you do want to stack muts here is a way to that I recently learners from syntac. Have to breed up creatures from same parents with same stats that U want like health meele ect ect, they must also be the same level for eg 250 and 250.  Make sure they are both opposite genders now this may sound weird but breed them until you get a mutation. How you will notice a mutation. Is the baby will be two levels higher than the parent so if both are 250 then the baby will be 252. Once you get a mutation you like. Breed it with the parent that is opposite gender to it. Again sounds weird but it works. So if your mutated baby was 252 then one with another mutation will be 254. Keep breeding until you got the colours and stat muts to like or go further and fill the mutation counter. Another thing is you may get a baby that has a mutation bit not from the parent. So say your 252 thulas has a baby that is still 252 but instead of a red stripe it has a blue stripe that is possible to gain. But don't worry it will be fine how ever in be mutation counter in the ancestral page it will still say 2/20 mutations because the game thinks the baby has the parent's mutation. Same with any 250 babies from he parent will still say it has a mutation. I hope this help cause it took an hour to type this on my crappy phone. 

One of the things I'm just coming to grasp with now is the need for solid 'clean' mating pair before I start introducing the idea of mutations. I'm the only one in my tribe doing much breeding at the moment, and I've taken on some big tasks, breeding Rexes, Gigas, and Tek Quetzals. It's a very slow process on your own, and lots of work. But after doing a recent hatch of a dozen Giga eggs, we've had our first strong color mutation. The problem is, right now I'm focused on just getting the best stat'd mating pair I can, and this guy's arrangement of stats doesn't really contribute to solving that puzzle. Even though his mutation is two-fold and includes a boost in Melee Damage, as well as the color mutation. As it happens, we have someone in the tribe who loves this green and is excited to give him a home. Maybe down the road he'll be of more significant value for breeding, but I'm sure other mutations will show up when the timing is better for them.

It is pretty exiting when you start to see some interesting results after so much effort.

Giga004_Color_Mut_and_MD_Mut_Image2.jpg

Also know that it is ok to slaughter the babies you don't need. We have a couple of kill fridges that we store these babies in and sacrifice to the ark gods from time to time.

You can also level some new dinos and characters really easy... slaughter a couple of baby gigas will raise a new character to 70 in less than a minute.

6 hours ago, LarryLafer said:

Also know that it is ok to slaughter the babies you don't need. We have a couple of kill fridges that we store these babies in and sacrifice to the ark gods from time to time.

You can also level some new dinos and characters really easy... slaughter a couple of baby gigas will raise a new character to 70 in less than a minute.

What do you mean kill fridges? Like you keep the eggs un-hatched and then hatch them to get xp or?

Breeding related question that I'll add to this thread...

I am breeding Rex's and have been working toward a mating pair that shares the same HP, Stamina, and Melee Damage. I now have that. But now I'd also like to tweak my breeding pair a bit to make the color selection and fine tune the other less important stats. For oxygen, it seems useless, so I'm aiming for the mating pair to both share the lowest possible oxygen stat. Where does 'food' stats come in terms of significance? Better off having a lower food stat, or higher? 

So try and get twins from the last set of parents that are opposite genders an breed them. They will be exactly alike in stats and colours. I would go for the higher stat meaning higher level. The higher level and better the stats are the better the imprint on all stats. So the higher the level hatchling the better the imprint I got will be. 

6 hours ago, Kodking194 said:

So try and get twins from the last set of parents that are opposite genders an breed them. They will be exactly alike in stats and colours. I would go for the higher stat meaning higher level. The higher level and better the stats are the better the imprint on all stats. So the higher the level hatchling the better the imprint I got will be. 

See. for me, I've identified three definite steps I want to move through... 1) solid mating pair to gain stats consistency (the right twins/triples just haven't appeared yet, but will as I reduce the chances of inferior stats) then 2) breeding for mutations to improve the line, and lastly 3) imprint on only those dinos that are the end result of all the breeding. As I understand it, imprinting doesn't improve the breeding line, it only impacts the base stats of the specific imprinted creature - thus not really something I want to do until I have my 'ultimate' creatures from breeding. Otherwise it just tends to  'muddy the water' for me.

On 4/19/2019 at 5:11 PM, RexEd said:

What do you mean kill fridges? Like you keep the eggs un-hatched and then hatch them to get xp or?

We have cryofridge with stored babies that are for killing only. When we hatch dinos and they don't make the cut we name them kill and throw them in the kill fridge. If you need to level a dino or character pull them out and slaughter them...

Pro tip.... Throw them out with cryo sickness and it way easier to kill.

1 hour ago, LarryLafer said:

We have cryofridge with stored babies that are for killing only. When we hatch dinos and they don't make the cut we name them kill and throw them in the kill fridge. If you need to level a dino or character pull them out and slaughter them...

Pro tip.... Throw them out with cryo sickness and it way easier to kill.

Good thing there's not an ARK PETA. lol

Archived