Future of ARK/Studio Wildcard: Will it survive?

Beargawn

For starters, ARK is amazing in so many ways yet due to on going issues with it, how long does Studio Wildcard expect it to be around or in business?   Currently there are several AAA gaming companies that are doing massive layoffs and others shuttering their door forever and others soon to follow.   As much as I enjoy ARK,  I wonder how they will push past where other AAA companies have failed.  I the player only paid for the season pass to access all the maps and have no monthy payments or any virtual land tarrif fees for the amount of land I have occupied.   For example, Linden Labs created a virtual world called Second Life which has a monthly fee, along with monthly land tarrif fees for virtual land I occupy.  These fees pay for the real world data storage and server expenses on their side.  I bring them up as an example since ARK has virtual land which takes up real world data storage and requires server expenses by them to keep it going.  If Studio Wildcard adopted a business model simular to Linden Labs (more than mentioned here) they may find it would resolve having no available land to build on along with having a steady income to resolve current/future gaming issues.  ARK could allow one FREE plot of land for personal use and/or one Larger plot for Tribe use.  Any additional land claimed by the placement of one ore more object would start a real world land tarrif chage based on land size  each object is claming.  The more land claimed, the  higher the land tarrif montly cost. In the case of ARK, if a person or Tribe wish/needed to execced the alloted free land size given to them, they would need to pay in advance to aquire the 1st tier level and with each larger tier costing  a larger amount thus increasing the monthy real world charge.   

ARK is an excellent open world experiance and should open to all those new and old. My idea is only among the hundreds that have been recommened over the past  years ( per my recent research) to ongoing issues that in my experiance in the gaming/I.T industry, should have been addressed some time ago.   

Keep up the great work and may your solutions arrive before the cash flow is shut off due to issues gaming companies experiance.

$1 a month. If 200,000 people played per month, bills are paid. Any purchases of the game will cover employer expenses and profits. Would be assuming that Unofficial would be exempt from this. But then again, do we even know the financials of WIldcard Studios?

By the way, the problem with AAA is somewhat a problem with Investors. Because when you make a contract with the devil, you may have to give up your soul.

That model sounds a lot like pay to win. 

That being said, I prefer a subscription based game. It makes for a more stable gaming environment from my experience.

Any response you're going to get from anyone that works for Wildcard is going to be a "toe the line" generic response. They'll never admit they are going out of business until they pull people into the office to hand them their last check. Or pull the group into the parking lot like Vanguard did.

56 minutes ago, Nuggie said:

That model sounds a lot like pay to win. 

That being said, I prefer a subscription based game. It makes for a more stable gaming environment from my experience.

Any response you're going to get from anyone that works for Wildcard is going to be a "toe the line" generic response. They'll never admit they are going out of business until they pull people into the office to hand them their last check. Or pull the group into the parking lot like Vanguard did.

They survived that lawsuit in their early days of development.

Mismanagement is usually what brings companies down,and this company is managed very poorly (it's done). Their not reliable at all and don't listen to the community (until it's to late). They've milked this game for all it's worth and it's losing players fast. The lastest flop (Atlas) dropped like a rock.They basically ignored SOTF when that type of game started to go big (popular) because they had NO clue what to do with it (and just threw money at it) in hopes it would take off. The servers for this game don't pay for themselves, so how long do you think Wildcard will foot the bill for them? (official) So,basically this game is done with...... 

3 minutes ago, Jim1 said:

I would have gladly paid $5-10 a month for a game that worked. A game like this needs some sort of monthly income to stay alive...instead this is what we get. A broken game with broken support. They never knew how to handle this game....its a shame

SO do you think people will gladly fork over $10 a month to play a broken game?  What if the game doesn't get fixed to everyone's satisfaction?  You think they are losing players now, what happens when they start charging?

I also think this topic is a reason why ARK has seemed to phased out their own official servers. They would rather have the players foot the server costs via Nitrado, etc.

I think ARK would move to eliminate official servers entirely, before they start charging a subscription fee.

You would have to hope that with the monthly subscription they would now be able to put in time to fix the game and hire a decent support staff. You would obviously loose a certain amount of players due to the subscription as well. In turn however, you would have a solid fanbase being easier to manage and support, along with having a new source of income for the company. It would at-least give them a chance, and if implemented correctly, I would see no reason to as why it wouldn't work, again, think WoW. However, it may already be to late and this part I cannot speak on, as I don't know about the subject well enough. 

They would also loose players if they went to all unofficial, well I know they would at-least loose me. I don't feel those such servers are regulated properly, there is no oversight minus a sole person. 

Archived