Update Regarding Recent Lost Characters

StudioWildcard

Survivors,

We wanted to give everyone an update regarding the lost character situation on our official servers. A change we made last week resulted in some players vaults to be destroyed and items to be lost. Once we realized the extent of the issue, the decision was made to rollback the Official Server Network. Widespread rollbacks are something we actively try to avoid due to the complications and unpredictable results that can arise from doing so (duping, lost characters, lost progress, etc). It’s not a common practice or occurrence that you as a player should expect. However we realize in extreme circumstances, like last week, there will be times when a rollback of this magnitude is inevitable and the best course of action for us to take. While our goal is to prevent rollbacks from being a necessity, the recent events have highlighted opportunities we have to improve on our rollback processes in the event that it’s needed in the future.

Whenever there are in-game issues like rollbacks that have affected your character or items, our Customer Service support team is there to help. After submitting a ticket, a GM receives the request and reaches out to schedule an appointment. Tickets are addressed on a first come, first serve basis. Under normal workload, a GM is able to respond to a ticket within a couple of days. Due to the influx of new tickets related to this recent issue, the wait time has significantly increased. For this, we apologize. We realize this is not an ideal situation and will look at ways to improve that experience for you. It is important to note that currently GM’s must make in-person appointments to address a large portion of the tickets and coordinating with many different players can be a monumental task. Going forward we’re looking at additional ways for Customer Service to be able to address some tickets without needing to meet in-person which will allow for faster turnaround times and a more efficient process overall. The Customer Service team has made this incident a priority and are responding tremendously to the influx of tickets. We all realize how important your characters and items are to you.

In light of the increase in tickets due to the rollback we implemented, we will be disabling the auto-decay timer for PC and XBOX on the official network temporarily to allow more time for Customer Service to address the ticket influx. As this affects server performance, this is a one-time exception that is being made considering the circumstances. Once auto-decay is re-enabled in a months time the timers will resume and you’ll need to log on to prevent your structures and tames from auto-decaying. We will give a weeks notice before turning back on auto-decay.

We know our community invests a lot of time into their characters, dinos, and items. We apologize for this inconvenience and will work diligently at improving our processes going forward.

- The Studio Wildcard Team

View full article

• Like 2

Hmm... anyone remember the two day rollback during early access where they nerfed all the blueprints as well as fishing and said it was done because of duping and that fishing was too OP? I don't recall there being any issues with character loss when that happened. What i'm saying is how could one network wide rollback not have this problem but this one would? Seems to me that some safeguards or redundant data protection is no longer being used for whatever reason.

edit\

Oh wait... weren't the official servers back then hosted and managed on Amazon AWS gaming servers?  And now its largely nitrado? So this is all the result of cheap servers... *sigh*

• Volunteer Moderator

Let's try to keep this thread on-topic. If you guys want to make suggestions that are unrelated to the main topic then please post them in the appropriate section. I've moved all the posts discussing imprints and you can continue the discussion over there:

11 minutes ago, CBud said:

can someone please just confirm are the servers rolling back a week ?

No, the servers are not rolling back. What they did is disabling auto-decay (you know, the timer on your creatures and structures) so that players that lost their characters during the rollback have a chance to get their character replaced before losing everything they own.

• Thanks 1

• Volunteer Moderator
1 minute ago, AndrewLB said:

Hmm... anyone remember the two day rollback during early access where they nerfed all the blueprints as well as fishing and said it was done because of duping and that fishing was too OP? I don't recall there being any issues with character loss when that happened. What i'm saying is how could one network wide rollback not have this problem but this one would? Seems to me that some safeguards or redundant data protection is no longer being used for whatever reason.

The characters being lost has been caused by their anti-duping technology, which was not implemented at the time of legacy.

15 minutes ago, CBud said:

can someone please just confirm are the servers rolling back a week ?

They are not.  Nothing in that announcement says anything about an upcoming rollback of 7 days, so that is hearsay.  At this point, even 7 days wouldn't restore my decayed Ab server, but it might help some people I guess.

• Volunteer Moderator
5 minutes ago, AWSPRAGUE said:

Imprinted Dinos is 100% relevant to losing your character.  I can level up a new character and get added to my tribe no problem.  All my imprinted dinos which took weeks of time are now useless.  What are you even talking about invincibleqc

If you submit a ticket, GMs will transfer your imprints to your new character so making suggestions and discussing the imprinter mechanism is irrelevant to the main topic and should be done in the appropriate section.

• Thanks 1

i lost my char last week and he dont come back.i send 15 ticket to you but nobody looked at tickets. i lost my char and bases i dont need your apologize, i need my items and char. you say a lot of reason but anything cant give me my lost time, maybe you can give me some items but i dont think you cant give my 600 hour back

Edited by nurionuraskeroglu