Any advice on finding lost birds?

BeaverTitan1

On 09/03/2016 at 8:09 PM, Novarae said:

My unofficial JP gaming community server lost 2 gigas and a quetzal parked at two different bases this week. They just vanished into thin air.  Not much can be done at this point and we've decided to stop taming/breeding more (except for lower/less important dino's)until ARK becomes more stable as its just not worth the frustration.

Lol so no taming or breeding ever then 

11 hours ago, BAGGINS said:

I need help with a similar issue.

I was playing on my non-dedicated P+ server with 1 friend. I was on my argie and he was on pete the quetzal. I heard his chat go silent, then I got a notification that he left. I couldn't find pete. my friend came back a little later and said that he had to eat (It would have been nice id he'd told me before). He went to the spot where he said he'd gone offline, which was where I was looking. None of us can find Pete, and it didn't die according to the tribe log. By the time I got the notification that my friend had left, Pete was nowhere in sight. (I was scouting ahead when his chat went silent). I flew upwards on my best argie, but I couldn't find pete. (maybe I didn't go high enough, idk) Any tips on where to look for him? Unless the tribe log lied, he isn't dead. I'll delete this if I find him.

If you can't manage to find him in-game, and have access to the saved ARK then you could try Larkator, a Windows app.

Make sure when you're searching, you're constantly whistling for anything in the radius to follow you.  I've had a few birds that got lost or landed in weird spots that were hard to see.  Fly a circular search pattern and constantly whistle for everything in that area to follow you.  If you get close enough, it will take off and follow you.

19 hours ago, HoganRyan01 said:

Its mentioned to search your problems and when you do find a similar post to post on instead of making a new one youre punished for it?

My initial, recent, response was in regards to SmokeyB commenting on my post's situation 2+ years ago, now in the present.  That was, to me, a bit inane.

2+ years ago though my comment reflected the status of bugs and issues that were resolved in later update iterations.

Almost a year after that, an update also ensued that introduced an anti exploit change to delete any dinos that would attempt to be hidden by respawning rocks or similar. In that later case, the devs intentionally thus deleted such dinos.

Therefore all in all bringing back up extremely old threads can have a tendency to reflect out of date or incorrect information(especially from those early days) for resolving issues etc. (For example there are many mods that now similar to the pet finder one that do an even better job(and since Fennec Fox who made the mod will never update that mod due to being banned from the dev it, its also wiser to consider those other options).

In general here,   there isn't necessarily that much chastisement(if any) for those who post a fresh thread that concerns an issue for them.  With so many different variables that can be so commonly relative to the specific nature of players' rigs or circumstances, its just more apt to approach such from the stand point of one making one's own thread to focus responses to address those individual needs.

• 2 months later...
On ‎2‎/‎17‎/‎2018 at 7:11 PM, Insomniak said:

Fly around on the tree line around where the quetz was and whistle follow all every 2 seconds. expand search area as needed.. happy hunting 

I tried (and went way up too) However, it was a P+ and now EVERYTHING is gone except my character.:Jerbcry:  RIP beautiful raptor pack, pitch-black rex, spinos, and thylas.

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/8/2016 at 9:36 AM, Jerryn said:

They can also land.  So, you need to check around your base, either doing a an expanding spiral or a grid search; and yeah, it sucks.

If you have the engrams or BPs for it, in the future, put a transponder node on them and you will be thankful you did; the igits will sometimes fly off if you accidently fall off of them, like touching water while holding the W key.

You know what I wish WC would do? The radio that no one ever makes.... Make it so that if you make two. One on the bird, one on you, and where ever you are if you whistle, the bird will fly in a straight line for you. 

On 2/18/2018 at 9:22 AM, BAGGINS said:

I need help with a similar issue.

I was playing on my non-dedicated P+ server with 1 friend. I was on my argie and he was on pete the quetzal. I heard his chat go silent, then I got a notification that he left. I couldn't find pete. my friend came back a little later and said that he had to eat (It would have been nice id he'd told me before). He went to the spot where he said he'd gone offline, which was where I was looking. None of us can find Pete, and it didn't die according to the tribe log. By the time I got the notification that my friend had left, Pete was nowhere in sight. (I was scouting ahead when his chat went silent). I flew upwards on my best argie, but I couldn't find pete. (maybe I didn't go high enough, idk) Any tips on where to look for him? Unless the tribe log lied, he isn't dead. I'll delete this if I find him.

id say get rid of that tribe mate... who logs off away from base on a quetz to eat food? thats crazy..

I had same problem with my wyvern. He was on netrual and I stoled a cp and beavers killed me and wyvern start attacking and my wyvern flew away from beaver loc(near canyon) to a snow  biom and stuck on spikes flying. I preffer you to fly with another bird and hold H to see all info and spam J to choose all follow me if you dont have node. In future use node cause It is 100x easier to find. And if it was on netrual he will probably fly and they can go anywhere. If you did a passive flee they will land at safe loc if something attacked him/her.

Archived