Any advice on finding lost birds?

BeaverTitan1

So I recently switch to playing on my own server with boosted stats to finally tame the elusive Quetz.. Well, I found and tamed 2 yesterday! You could imagine how sad I was to log in and see that they had vanished. I spent 3 hours looking for them in the sky before I gave up. Even check the very top of the game. Any advice on finding lost birds? Maybe there is something I don't know? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

• Volunteer Moderator
8 minutes ago, BeaverTitan1 said:

So I recently switch to playing on my own server with boosted stats to finally tame the elusive Quetz.. Well, I found and tamed 2 yesterday! You could imagine how sad I was to log in and see that they had vanished. I spent 3 hours looking for them in the sky before I gave up. Even check the very top of the game. Any advice on finding lost birds? Maybe there is something I don't know? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

They can also land.  So, you need to check around your base, either doing a an expanding spiral or a grid search; and yeah, it sucks.

If you have the engrams or BPs for it, in the future, put a transponder node on them and you will be thankful you did; the igits will sometimes fly off if you accidently fall off of them, like touching water while holding the W key.

I've lost a tamed Quetz this way, but in a different way; I had landed my Pteranodon and Quetz while I was checking out a drop, and then I quickly ran off for a moment to kill two Alpha Raptors. When I came back, the Pteranodon was moved a little ways but the Quetz was gone. No death message, nothing. I'm assuming it either got chased off into the jungles or was attacked by bugs and..I don't know.

a few patches ago i lost my only female quetz in my SP world to a bug attack as it flew off into the jungle, searched for days around using argents, petras, my other quetz, even a bronto-giga combo to clear the treeline in hopes of finding it but nothing...    then about 5 days after it disappeared i was on foot wandering along the same waterway it disappeared along searching for a spino (having given up looking for it) when i caught a glimpse of something flying low across the opposing shore, i went running to see what it was and it was my missing quetz, Pretzel.

after all that searching i only found it after i stopped looking for it, heh, i guess that proves the best way to find something is to not be intentionally looking for it :P

13 hours ago, DiloFodder said:

a few patches ago i lost my only female quetz in my SP world to a bug attack as it flew off into the jungle, searched for days around using argents, petras, my other quetz, even a bronto-giga combo to clear the treeline in hopes of finding it but nothing...    then about 5 days after it disappeared i was on foot wandering along the same waterway it disappeared along searching for a spino (having given up looking for it) when i caught a glimpse of something flying low across the opposing shore, i went running to see what it was and it was my missing quetz, Pretzel.

after all that searching i only found it after i stopped looking for it, heh, i guess that proves the best way to find something is to not be intentionally looking for it :P

that's how I found the giga I was trying to knockout, or more precisely it found me while I was killing an alpha raptor, first I knew of it was a giant foot in front of my face and 5 hp left

My unofficial JP gaming community server lost 2 gigas and a quetzal parked at two different bases this week. They just vanished into thin air.  Not much can be done at this point and we've decided to stop taming/breeding more (except for lower/less important dino's)until ARK becomes more stable as its just not worth the frustration.

On 3/8/2016 at 0:37 AM, Sentoki said:

If they glitched into the world, then I'm afraid they may be lost forever.. 

But - I do know of this great mod that really helped me when I lost my Pteranodon, Piwi - 
This is it on Steam: Joan's Pet Finder

Wish my unofficial servers that I play on would use this mod but they swear off mods else it'd be perfect.

One thing I do, is if I'm hopping off my birds or leaving them, I make sure they are on passive.  Since the flee mechanic was introduced, if your bird does get into a fight, there's really no telling where it could go.  I lost several dinos by keeping them on neutral when they made this change, found a few, couldn't find a few of them though.  

1 hour ago, D4u2s0t said:

One thing I do, is if I'm hopping off my birds or leaving them, I make sure they are on passive.  Since the flee mechanic was introduced, if your bird does get into a fight, there's really no telling where it could go.  I lost several dinos by keeping them on neutral when they made this change, found a few, couldn't find a few of them though.  

Yeah I used to leave them on Passive until I was away for too long farming and a lvl 4 Raptor ate my 108 Argy.. Damned if you do, damned if you don't.

18 minutes ago, BeaverTitan1 said:

Yeah I used to leave them on Passive until I was away for too long farming and a lvl 4 Raptor ate my 108 Argy.. Damned if you do, damned if you don't.

I don't leave my birds on the ground, they have perches above the buildings :-)  I don't trust the AI to do the job for me, unless I'm there to supervise.  

I had a similar thing happen to me, except I dced and fell to my death upon logging back on. I searched for it for hours, I finally gave up, and 2 days later I was flying on one of my other quetzs and I saw it and brought it back. Also don't park it on the ground. I have a high up platform that I keep all my birds on. They are all set to passive, as nothing is large enough to get to them, maybe another bird but my base is in a low danger area, so I have never had a bird attack animals at my base. If you are in a high danger area and think your bird might be attacked on an open platform, try instead building a base of stone or metal that has high walls, a roof, and a behemoth gate to get your birds out.

14 hours ago, Novarae said:

Wish my unofficial servers that I play on would use this mod but they swear off mods else it'd be perfect.

I am usually the same with games and mods - however I've tried a few on ARK and they are genuinely really solid. It's so easy to add-on and take-off mods as well, Wildcard and the community have done a really good job

For base defence you can always leave something on neutral following another animal that's on passive, for example at my metal mine I leave a lvl 169 argy following my hauler quetz (which is on passive) I've changed the targeting range to lowest on the argy and leave it on neutral so if anything attacks my quetz or any of the other dinos around there the argy will take care of it but wont chase it down when it flees.

Just to keep on topic, from what I've read if your bird landed somewhere a resource would respawn, eg. it lands in a spot where a rock has been harvested. when the rock respawns it will delete the bird.

5 hours ago, Sentoki said:

I am usually the same with games and mods - however I've tried a few on ARK and they are genuinely really solid. It's so easy to add-on and take-off mods as well, Wildcard and the community have done a really good job

I can agree. Its just the site owner's current policy on it. Perhaps time will erode the resistance(and my persuasive mentionings) :P

• 1 year later...
30 minutes ago, Jusola said:

One way I found my lost Pteranodon (I'm not at the late game yet) was basically spamming Z where you see the green arrows which point at your dinos.

sadly you require DIRECT sight of it though. I have landed a bird more than once, not in direct sight and not seen it in "help" (you can hold H as well by the way)

• 9 months later...

I need help with a similar issue.

I was playing on my non-dedicated P+ server with 1 friend. I was on my argie and he was on pete the quetzal. I heard his chat go silent, then I got a notification that he left. I couldn't find pete. my friend came back a little later and said that he had to eat (It would have been nice id he'd told me before). He went to the spot where he said he'd gone offline, which was where I was looking. None of us can find Pete, and it didn't die according to the tribe log. By the time I got the notification that my friend had left, Pete was nowhere in sight. (I was scouting ahead when his chat went silent). I flew upwards on my best argie, but I couldn't find pete. (maybe I didn't go high enough, idk) Any tips on where to look for him? Unless the tribe log lied, he isn't dead. I'll delete this if I find him.

47 minutes ago, BAGGINS said:

I need help with a similar issue.

I was playing on my non-dedicated P+ server with 1 friend. I was on my argie and he was on pete the quetzal. I heard his chat go silent, then I got a notification that he left. I couldn't find pete. my friend came back a little later and said that he had to eat (It would have been nice id he'd told me before). He went to the spot where he said he'd gone offline, which was where I was looking. None of us can find Pete, and it didn't die according to the tribe log. By the time I got the notification that my friend had left, Pete was nowhere in sight. (I was scouting ahead when his chat went silent). I flew upwards on my best argie, but I couldn't find pete. (maybe I didn't go high enough, idk) Any tips on where to look for him? Unless the tribe log lied, he isn't dead. I'll delete this if I find him.

Fly around on the tree line around where the quetz was and whistle follow all every 2 seconds. expand search area as needed.. happy hunting 

Archived