I am a huge idiot and need help.

Slvr

EDIT: I've since gotten back to Ragnarok and my tames. I was tired and irritated, not thinking straight during this ordeal, which is probably what made me not realize a lot of things, but also I was being impatient, afraid taming a pteranodon and then making its saddle would take hours. I now know I can transfer using drops, a lower level pteranodon isn't awful to tame, and I can bow and arrow trikes and carbonemys. I won't be forgetting beds anymore. The original problem is solved and I know what to do for the future so if you're here to offer "advice" in the form of being a jerk about it, I've got no interest. 

Original post:

I was moving. We're fairly new to the server, but we were moving, I found the location, I was fed up from moving and having lost a couple animals... logged off forgetting to place bed. It's ORP and nobody's remotely close to where we are so I figure oh, I'm fine, and I log back in... For some reason I'm at the top of a cliff despite where I fell asleep being way below, and when I jump into the water below to try to get back to my animals that are loaded with the mats I need... I die.

This was in the desert on Ragnarok.

I am tired. I have been struggling to get back to them for well over 3 hours now. Every time I do, I die without fail. I have tried taming parasaurs and raptors - somehow or another, they end up dying, too. Nobody's online. Tribemate's asleep. I feel like the biggest raptoring idiot to walk the planet because I could have saved myself a huge headache by just remembering to place a raptoring bed or hell, even a sleeping bag. But no, I was annoyed because I lost a couple little replaceable animals, and after hours of trying to run back there and even switching to the Island to try to grab an iguanodon.... Still nothing.

Am I really going to have to start over? Just to be able to run over there and get them? More than that, my dumbass got myself stuck on the Island. Can't get to the red obelisk as it has turrets all around and they shoot me down every time I get near. Can't go near the green obelisk, because it's surrounded by swamp. Can't get to the blue obelisk, because it's surrounded by god-knows-what and I'd freeze to death. I'd make a new character, but then I wouldn't be able to interact with my animals, would I?

raptor, I hate myself. All because I didn't place a motherraptoring bed. I have no clue what the reason behind this post was. Thanks for coming to my ted talk. ?

Ark can be brutal about punishing mistakes. A little time and distance helps a lot. I find it's really easy to panic in the heat of the moment, but once you step back it's easier to assess the situation. A small mental checklist I've started doing any time I get myself into a tough situation:

Am I in immediate danger? If yes, then move to the safest possible location for the current situation.

Is my base in immediate danger? If yes, can I actually get back to my base? If no, it's frustrating but if I can't get back to it easily then there's more pressing concerns.

If the base is not in danger or I can't get back to it, then mentally I prepare myself for essentially a salvage operation. If I have a tame with me it's usually not so bad, but being naked and alone and far from base is always stressful. First thing I do is get some gear, even if it's just noob cloth armor and stone tools, it's better than nothing. Then I'll kill dodos/dilos/whatever, make a few bolas and find the nearest ptera to tame. While it's taming collect saddle mats.

By the time I'm back in the air I'm usually calm enough to make a gameplan. Being on a different map certainly complicates things, but you can use supply beacons to upload yourself and your ptera. Spawn in, get to the closest beacon/obelisk, download the ptera and you should be good to go. Just don't rush, take your time and pay attention to your surroundings so you don't die halfway back and have to repeat the process all over again.

Honestly I've gotten to the point where with very few exceptions, when it comes down to it I'd rather sacrifice a tame in most situations like that and would probably not even bother moving most of them unless they were critical needs like utility animals. It's also a good idea to set up close enough near a beacon that you can use it for easy animal transport until you get access to a transmitter.

1 hour ago, Cymas said:

Snip 

Yeah, having slept at least a little now and looking back on it... I should have been more patient. I was tired and irritated and just wanted to go to bed so I wanted this over as quickly as possible. Impatience is what probably killed me again and again, and then tired frustration on top of that devolved my brain to the intelligence of a 6-year-old throwing a tantrum in the local Walmart. ? The rexes and our beaver were of primary concern since they had taken the longest to tame so far. 

But, all is well now, that is over and the lesson here is: use. More. Sleeping bags. And never forget to immediately put down beds!! And once again I am reminded that my impatience will cause way more problems than it solves. It might have been a rough way to learn, but I rise stronger, ready for the next lesson. Sure I might have kicked my feet and screamed, but I really do love how harsh this game is with its lessons. I sure don't forget them. ?

7 hours ago, Slvr said:

I feel like the biggest raptoring idiot to walk the planet because I could have saved myself a huge headache by just remembering to place a raptoring bed or hell, even a sleeping bag.

Just to let you know, your not alone. We have all done this, I did this just last week.

10 minutes ago, Slvr said:

By this do you mean the beacons of items that float down or? 

Yeah you can use the drop beacons. 

1 minute ago, AngrySaltire said:

Just to let you know, your not alone. We have all done this, I did this just last week.

Yeah you can use the drop beacons. 

This.... I did not realize this. Wow. Okay. That's extremely useful info for next time I get into a huge conundrum like this. Although I'd like to believe this is my last time I think I'd be lying to myself if I said it was for certain ?

If im struggling to get somewhere than I makes sleeping bags and run to where i need to be. Keep placing sleeping bags as u get closer to where u need to go. Gather hide and fiber while getting closer and dropping bags. 

The horse works very well too. If you time your jumps on a horse that you jump right when your horse lands you build momentum and travel even faster.

@Slvrthe green ob(Obelisk) is almost on the eastern north/south river, i believe south3 would spawn you on or near this river.  Halfway up it the jungle recedes back on the obs side of the river, so you have a few small trees on a grassland where raptors and carnos can spawn but because it isnt dense you should be able to see and avoid them on your way to the green ob.  When the river meets the swamp you can just climb the slope and boom your at the green obelisk, you never have to go into the swamp and its relatively safe.

My last bit was if you were on a cliff above your tames why wouldnt you just tame a pteradon, which is everywhere and craft a saddle for it to get to your tames.  A lot of people mentioned this, this is a very simple solution to your original problem.  Its so simple that everything else you tried was completely pointless, especially transferring to the island.  Ill walk you through it, punch tree for thatch and wood, gather plant for fiber, pick up a stone, make pickaxe, pickaxe a tree, pickaxe a rock, make hatchet, gather a lil more if needed to make spears, kill small creatures for hide, make bola, kill turtles/insects for chitin/keratin, make saddle for ptera, bola ptera, knock it out, feed it, saddle it, ride it to your tames.  This all is assuming you find a low lvl ptera.  Does your old base have a bed?  If so you could spawn there or even craft a mortar and pestal in the wilds and make a bow and narcos for tranq arrows to tame any ptera you find.  Max 30mins from a wilds spawn to have a ptera and get back to your tames.  Wild spawn meaning no base for you to operate from, your in the wilds.

Now are you still confused? XD

4 hours ago, Onimusha759 said:

@Slvrthe green ob(Obelisk) is almost on the eastern north/south river, i believe south3 would spawn you on or near this river.  Halfway up it the jungle recedes back on the obs side of the river, so you have a few small trees on a grassland where raptors and carnos can spawn but because it isnt dense you should be able to see and avoid them on your way to the green ob.  When the river meets the swamp you can just climb the slope and boom your at the green obelisk, you never have to go into the swamp and its relatively safe.

My last bit was if you were on a cliff above your tames why wouldnt you just tame a pteradon, which is everywhere and craft a saddle for it to get to your tames.  A lot of people mentioned this, this is a very simple solution to your original problem.  Its so simple that everything else you tried was completely pointless, especially transferring to the island.  Ill walk you through it, punch tree for thatch and wood, gather plant for fiber, pick up a stone, make pickaxe, pickaxe a tree, pickaxe a rock, make hatchet, gather a lil more if needed to make spears, kill small creatures for hide, make bola, kill turtles/insects for chitin/keratin, make saddle for ptera, bola ptera, knock it out, feed it, saddle it, ride it to your tames.  This all is assuming you find a low lvl ptera.  Does your old base have a bed?  If so you could spawn there or even craft a mortar and pestal in the wilds and make a bow and narcos for tranq arrows to tame any ptera you find.  Max 30mins from a wilds spawn to have a ptera and get back to your tames.  Wild spawn meaning no base for you to operate from, your in the wilds.

Now are you still confused? XD

If everyone else has commented this, why do you feel the need to be a jerk and reiterate? I've already said I was tired and not thinking straight. I've also already said everything got taken care of. There are no pteranodons in the desert on Ragnarok also, and as it's official, I feared downing any ptera would take an hour or more to tame. Which, as I've also already said, it was very late and I wanted to sleep soon. ALSO, their saddle takes chitin and keratin. Do you know how you get those? For a person with nothing? Turtles and trikes. I guess I could have made a bow and arrow and gone to town, but I also created that'd also take forever. (Again, impatience being the fault here.)

I've learned my mistakes. I really don't need people to keep commenting on this thread to tell me what an idiot I was. I now know that I can use drops to transfer, I won't be forgetting beds or sleeping bags any time soon, and the best remedy for such a situation in the future is to probably give it time and tackle the issue a little later once the initial frustration has subsided. 

4 hours ago, Slvr said:

If everyone else has commented this, why do you feel the need to be a jerk and reiterate? I've already said I was tired and not thinking straight. I've also already said everything got taken care of. There are no pteranodons in the desert on Ragnarok also, and as it's official, I feared downing any ptera would take an hour or more to tame. Which, as I've also already said, it was very late and I wanted to sleep soon. ALSO, their saddle takes chitin and keratin. Do you know how you get those? For a person with nothing? Turtles and trikes. I guess I could have made a bow and arrow and gone to town, but I also created that'd also take forever. (Again, impatience being the fault here.)

I've learned my mistakes. I really don't need people to keep commenting on this thread to tell me what an idiot I was. I now know that I can use drops to transfer, I won't be forgetting beds or sleeping bags any time soon, and the best remedy for such a situation in the future is to probably give it time and tackle the issue a little later once the initial frustration has subsided. 

U misunderstand me, im not trying to be a jerk, you "said" i confused you, though i was rather straight forward, so i went into much more blunt detail to eliminate such confusion.  U thought green ob is dominated by the swamp, i just gave u a lot of geography info that could help u plus now you know the area better.  I really didnt kno which part you wer confused about so i went into great blunt detail to cover everything.

24 minutes ago, Onimusha759 said:

U misunderstand me, im not trying to be a jerk, you "said" i confused you, though i was rather straight forward, so i went into much more blunt detail to eliminate such confusion.  U thought green ob is dominated by the swamp, i just gave u a lot of geography info that could help u plus now you know the area better.  I really didnt kno which part you wer confused about so i went into great blunt detail to cover everything.

Oooh. 

This be where text tone is subjective. ? 

I reacted that way because I was thinking too myself oh... Yeah, you can get to green from south zone 3 without ever touching swamp... Why didn't I think of that?? 

I probably should have left it be and typed in that response, was at school and just didn't think to add more than that. My bad, lol. I need a Xanax or something. ?

6 hours ago, Slvr said:

Oooh. 

This be where text tone is subjective. ? 

I reacted that way because I was thinking too myself oh... Yeah, you can get to green from south zone 3 without ever touching swamp... Why didn't I think of that?? 

I probably should have left it be and typed in that response, was at school and just didn't think to add more than that. My bad, lol. I need a Xanax or something. ?

Eh, no worries, ive flipped on a friend on here before too so i know what you mean about text tone.  So where exactly were you going to move to that required going through the desert.

4 hours ago, Onimusha759 said:

Eh, no worries, ive flipped on a friend on here before too so i know what you mean about text tone.  So where exactly were you going to move to that required going through the desert.

Not sure I feel super comfortable discussing where exactly we moved on here, but it was somewhere in the desert that we moved, so yeah...had to go through desert to get there. Needless to say, sleeping bags are my new best friend, lol.

32 minutes ago, Slvr said:

Not sure I feel super comfortable discussing where exactly we moved on here, but it was somewhere in the desert that we moved, so yeah...had to go through desert to get there. Needless to say, sleeping bags are my new best friend, lol.

Ah sorry, forgot the pvp aspect where im a pve person.  I understand and that answer will suffice lol.

Archived