Community Crunch 176: Character Restoration, Mod Updates, and Creator Feature

StudioWildcard

Hey Survivors! Welcome to the latest edition of the Community Crunch! :Jerbhi:

Lost Character Concerns...

We'd like to give an update regarding the current situation with our customer support restoring lost characters caused by a network-wide rollback last week. A change we made caused some vaults to be destroyed, and thus the decision was made to roll back the network. In doing so, some players lost their characters caused by transferring between the previous save and the rollback period. Since then our customer support has been hard at work with restoring these lost characters.

If you have not already done so we urge you to reach out to our customer support to have your lost character restored. We would, however, like to make a note that our support is understandably working through a large volume of tickets, and may not be able to respond promptly. Keep in mind, each one of these tickets is an in-person meeting and is not something that can currently be done without player to player interaction. They are making their way through the queue in order of received, and will eventually get through the tickets over the coming days/weeks.

Our apologies for those who were affected by the unfortunate event.

Mod Community Updates!

Sponsorship applications closed on Friday, but have no fear, they will be opening again on May 1st! At that time we will also announce the new projects that will be joining the program. 

Additionally, there isn't a modding tutorial ready today. I am trying to put together some of the visual elements, but this particular aspect of design (3d modeling, textures, etc) is not in my wheelhouse. When I started our current VSS tutorial project, I decided that I would not rely on assistance from the artists and engineers that I work with to do any of these things for me. I wanted this project to be a realistic representation of what a single mod author or small team can accomplish, I want to show that it possible to push out of your personal knowledge sets and that modding gives you the freedom to experiment and learn some new skills. This does mean though that it takes me a bit longer to handle these particular areas of our tutorial project, but rest assured that I am still working on it. :P 

Creator Feature - BubblyLeaf!

This week we're excited to be featuring a very talented artist named BubblyLeaf! BubblyLeaf is a mixed media artist who specializes in creating beautiful life-like plushes. From dragons and dinosaurs to mammals and insects, she's done it all. Here is a video tutorial on how she made the Managarmr from ARK: Extinction!

While not explicitly dedicated to ARK, she has made many adorable and beautiful dinosaur art dolls.

large.Stego.jpg

large.Archaeopteryx.jpg

large.Carno.jpg

On top of that, she is also a skilled painter! Here is her oil painting series on ARK: Extinction creatures featuring the Ice Titan, Snow Owl, and Gasbags.

large.painting.jpg

If you're interested in seeing more of her amazing work, you can check out her YouTube channel or her Etsy shop!

Evolution Event!

large.large.EvoEvent.png.eeb58694dd9d4cb

Survivors on all platforms will be receiving a special Evolution Event perk this weekend! It will be active from Friday the 12th of April at 1 PM EST until Monday the 15th of April at 3 PM EST. All Official Servers across each platform will be undergoing this evolutionary change which includes:

• 2x Harvesting Rates
    • 2x Taming Rates
    • 2x EXP Rates

That's it for this post!

As always if you’ve got anything to share you can find us at:

Twitter: twitter.com/survivetheark
    Facebook: facebook.com/survivetheark
    Reddit: reddit.com/r/playark
    Instagram: instagram.com/survivetheark
    Twitch: twitch.tv/survivetheark
    Steam: steamcommunity.com/app/346110
    Youtube: youtube.com/survivetheark

All the best,
    Studio Wildcard

View full article

I really support you and defend you in the forums Wildcard, but you still haven't announced any new content since the Homestead update. When you are a console player who doesn't have access to mods, the devs are your only hope. Unfortunately, recent community crunches are recycled from previous ones. So please implement new content for the game. At least for consoles since we don't have access to mods. 

PS: Apologies if this sounds harsh.

• Like 1
    • Thanks 1

How does a player to player interaction repair the damage done to peoples bases and dinos when a meeting won't take place for weeks?  There is an article on survive the ark saying when a character is deleted you should not even make a new character on the same server because it will over write the old character and not be retrievable.  The information being put out is still lacking on basic instruction on how the community should act in the mean time.  It lacks true compassion for the people who have thousands of hours of work into this game.   A normal person works roughly 2000 hours in a year some of us have that into this game some of us have more then that.   Have you taken any actions to stop the bleeding.  Turn off dino and base decay timers on the servers as so many others have suggested.  What about food consumption.  Sure you're going to restore our levels, tek engrams, and maybe re-imprint a hand full of dinos.  But what of the people who no longer have any dinos or bases.   Are you doing any thing to address these problems in the weeks its going to take to get a meeting.  For those of us about to loose a year of our lives do you offer any thing for our hard work that you squandered.   Perhaps this is part of a grander plan, a plan to force more servers to close after all extinction is the final step in your journey where it begins and ends.  No more plans to earn cash so time to kill the game.  Kill the player base.  Kill the servers cut the over head cost. All along fronting like you are trying to "improve" the game with patches.  Yet what effort is being made to preserve the player base.  Official servers lag so bad they are almost unplayable. This patch and roll back should be referred to as the great extinction. Note there was no apology in the updated statement only asking us to be understanding of their situation.  No mention of our situation.  So much more left to say but what is the point its already been proven it will fall on blind eyes and deaf ears. 

@StudioWildcard Rather than turning the conquest servers (That people love), in classic PvP (That we basically have already had which was CrossArk Servers in legacy) why did you's not remove some of the PvE servers or take down the whole Legacy side of the game as it is dead as raptor. All together there are 410 legacy pvp and PvE servers on the whole game, PvE Is full of little kids that spam poop all over the map making it basically a 1 tribe server and they do nothing but ride a stupid ass raptorin dinosaur all day defending their base from a stupid as level 5 dodo. What is the point of PvE and why do we need official PvE servers if there is Unofficial PvE servers that are basically the same. And legacy is completely useless with like 1 tribe across all their servers with a max of like 5 players a day in total.

Hey Wildcard, i have an Off-topic idea, i hope you would consider: Conan Exiles have just been this months PS+ offer, so i checked it out and i found a genius little detail i hope you would consider implementing in ark. 

When you go to the online part of the game, you Can Choose what kind of community you want to be a part of. It is only for dedicated servers, but if you could implement in on all official servers i would really want to be part of “Ark Online” again.  

Why should that be implementet: 

Because it is a little bit frustating to not be a hardcore player, i love the game and i have completed it, but i still dont have the same blood Lust as some of the other players do. Im not saying that it is wrong to be blood thirsty, but if i wanted to kill people Every second i could just play a Rockstar Game instead. 

I have never had the oppotunity to move around in some of the many Pve servers, i have wanted to join. The only kind of Pve servers i have joined, where filled with buildings i wouldnt even Build in creative, so where would the place for my Home be ? 

I used to play on the “offlineraidprotection” servers and i really loved the community because the chat was active and you wouldnt just beat every person running around in Their underpants. A mega Tribe changed the playing rules at some point, and started scamming good hearted players, So my interest quickly fainted. My friends then told me about the “smalltribeservers” and i tried joining.

I have never seen so much chaos, when we joined i couldnt even leave viking Bay without getting beat to death the first 5 times and that is Allright, but it is NOT for me. 

My love for Ark came because of the oppotunities, there were when the game still was new. 

I loved the thought about teaming up with others, to try and survive and maybe building a cool community. I still want pvp, but since im neither paranoid or want to watch the World burn, i just only want to fight people “i dont agree with”.

i Think it would be kinda hard to implement an “declare war” option, where you need to wait, lets say 12 Hours to whipe another tribe, or something.  Thats why i Think it would be cool to choose between communities online, because then there would be something for every one. 

I know this community is know  for their “Git Gut” mentality, but it is kinda hard to “git gut” when people are so paranoid that they fear your Thatch hut so much they need to raid it ?

i miss the old days of ark, where you would look at other People’s tribe and tame names and just laugh because you Saw other People’s creativity. I Also miss the days, where you could see special bases, all the alphas Allmost use the same formula for setting up a base, because some youtuber told Them, that this is the Best construction.

i know a lot of hardcores dont agree, but it Will never be easy to make every one happy so lets just have a lot to choose between. 

• Facepalm 1

6 hours ago, gushwa80 said:

How does a player to player interaction repair the damage done to peoples bases and dinos when a meeting won't take place for weeks?  There is an article on survive the ark saying when a character is deleted you should not even make a new character on the same server because it will over write the old character and not be retrievable.  The information being put out is still lacking on basic instruction on how the community should act in the mean time.  It lacks true compassion for the people who have thousands of hours of work into this game.   A normal person works roughly 2000 hours in a year some of us have that into this game some of us have more then that.   Have you taken any actions to stop the bleeding.  Turn off dino and base decay timers on the servers as so many others have suggested.  What about food consumption.  Sure you're going to restore our levels, tek engrams, and maybe re-imprint a hand full of dinos.  But what of the people who no longer have any dinos or bases.   Are you doing any thing to address these problems in the weeks its going to take to get a meeting.  For those of us about to loose a year of our lives do you offer any thing for our hard work that you squandered.   Perhaps this is part of a grander plan, a plan to force more servers to close after all extinction is the final step in your journey where it begins and ends.  No more plans to earn cash so time to kill the game.  Kill the player base.  Kill the servers cut the over head cost. All along fronting like you are trying to "improve" the game with patches.  Yet what effort is being made to preserve the player base.  Official servers lag so bad they are almost unplayable. This patch and roll back should be referred to as the great extinction. Note there was no apology in the updated statement only asking us to be understanding of their situation.  No mention of our situation.  So much more left to say but what is the point its already been proven it will fall on blind eyes and deaf ears. 

yes, exactly. no actual hint what we should do... just write a ticket and wait... somewhere they wrote in case of lost char one should not create a new one as then the original char will be lost.

my friend an me are playing ark for many years now in the same tribe (no other members) and on ragnarok since it's release, we both have thousands of hours spend ingame (me 5500).

we both have a job now so we cant play every day so when i noticed on friday morning that i cannot logg in we were already 4 days offline and i wrote a ticket immediately, and my friend in the evening for his char... so our dino's timer will run out today in about 12 hours from now. my friend and me have no answer from wildcard so far. we managed to contact our ingame neigbours on steamchat and they could feed our dinos caus there are PINs on doors and troughs. but the timer will wear off. they really should stop that timer... this is a less than frustrating scenario and many players will leave that game after loosing all.

Edited by Udju