Rollback effect: Character still here, but not linked to the steam account

smlarf

Please, don't merge this topic with the one about lost characters after the rollback of the official servers. Mine isn't lost.

My toon is sleeping on the floor of my base, still belonging to the tribe. Unfortunately, when I try to log into the server, Ark just asks me to create a new character, as if I had no toon on the server.

In other words, somehow, the link between my toon and my steam id is broken since the rollback.

A patch may be found, rather than asking people to create a new character and wait for weeks only to gain 105 levels, but lose every tek engrams they have, and with no way to have back the imprint on the many dinos on cryo.

I know that i am not the only one. WC, please, patch this.

Alf

characters exist in server architecture as a file with your steam ID and as an entity saved within the map save as well, they both have to be there for you to utilize the character.  I accidentally erased the character files once on a server i was running and this exact same thing happened to everyone.  I hope wildcard has access to some super secret admin abilites to fix it because i had to make everyone make new characters, destroy the old characters, and change every dino everyone owned to the imprint ID of their new characters.

I do not envy their predicament.

1 minute ago, invincibleqc said:

Your character is lost. What you are seeing is an empty shell because your character profile has been deleted.

All our toons are empty shells, or bits on the screen. 

But if you're true, what a bad architecture! I won't hire any WC programmer in my team.

And, as for support, they could at least express that they are sorry. But not a word about it.

A unique database with all the toon attributes and their server location would have solved this. But I don't want to bother you with that. It's too late to change the architecture of the current version of the game.

I play Ark since the 1st month. It was a nice adventure, even if I've lost a few characters on my way. Ark is a very nice idea and concept, badly implemented.

In the end, what makes me sad is that I've almost ever seen any empathy from WC about all the gamers that have played thousand of hours but are still victims of so many bugs.

I'd like, for once, to have a WC person on this forum that answers the questions we have, tries at least to find a solution (and, no, creating a new character and only level it up is not a good solution) and shows some regret about the current situation.

1 hour ago, invincibleqc said:

While it seems to be a bad architecture, this is unfortunately a side effect of their anti-duping technology.

How can this problem be explained as a side effect of the anti-duping tech if the characters were laying on the server and did not move from there.

I mean, I think what you say is taken from the explanation that Chris gave some hours ago on reddit, but I think he though the characters were lost because as he explained they were transferred between patch and rollback (that is when the anti duping may take place).

• Volunteer Moderator
56 minutes ago, arkark said:

How can this problem be explained as a side effect of the anti-duping tech if the characters were laying on the server and did not move from there.

I mean, I think what you say is taken from the explanation that Chris gave some hours ago on reddit, but I think he though the characters were lost because as he explained they were transferred between patch and rollback (that is when the anti duping may take place).

Uploaded items and characters are not brought back when a server crash and rollback. Which is to prevent duping these items, characters and items contained in the characters inventory. Ideally they should implement something similar on the other end where character profiles and items are kept when they were downloaded after the save a server is rolling back to but that is unfortunately not the case and everything that were downloaded is simply deleted. So when you uploaded your character from server A to server B, and that since both servers rolled back, server A didn't restore it because their anti-duping technology kicked in and considered that your character was uploaded somewhere else and server B forgot you downloaded it there which caused it to be lost.

38 minutes ago, Oli4 said:

What anti duping technology? Duping is still as easy as ever. All their 'technology' does is make things harder for the players

It is pretty efficient from what I know. When was the last time you heard about duping exploits related to transfers and server crashes? Except everyone complaining about "dupers" whenever there is lags, I didn't see nor heard about duping since they implemented that.

Just now, invincibleqc said:

Uploaded items and characters are not brought back when a server crash and rollback. Which is to prevent duping these items, characters and items contained in the characters inventory. Ideally they should implement something similar on the other end where character profiles and items are kept when they were downloaded after the save a server is rolling back to but that is unfortunately not the case and everything that were downloaded is simply deleted. So when you uploaded your character from server A to server B, and that since both servers rolled back, server A didn't restore it because their anti-duping technology kicked in and considered that your character was uploaded somewhere else and server B forgot you downloaded it there which caused it to be lost.

It is pretty efficient from what I know. When was the last time you heard about duping exploits related to transfers and server crashes? Except everyone complaining about "dupers" whenever there is lags, I didn't see nor heard about duping since they implemented that.

Just last week I accidently duped my character after server crash, including what I had in my inventory

4 minutes ago, invincibleqc said:

Yes I know that, but im referring more to a cases similar to this, in which there is not transferring involved:

She said 2 chars not used during a week are lost after the rollback. And its not the only post about this, I've seen some other ppl triggered by this same problem.

Archived