Lost Character and Tames

Fukushu

• Replies 582
  • Created
  • Last Reply
12 hours ago, Sphere said:

They can't recover your lost boss achievements, but I can recover your entire character back down to the last molecule. Per hour backup. But it would probably be a pain in the butt to recover characters the way I can on Unofficial. I take a backup save, and load it into the Backup server and get you to log into that and move your character into the main cluster. This recovers your character back.

Any moderator or GM coming to visit this thread? Take a look at this  ^

After a player invests money and time in their game, this is the least they can do. Sacrifice a few minutes to do what a GM should actually do. Until they fix their issue, it is only fair to restore the character completely. Anything else is unacceptable and just spiteful.

Our tribeleader's character got deleted and we got the cold shoulder and the internal policy crap. He just deleted the game never to return again. That was some great customer support. Took "only" 1 and a half months for the crappy answer and 3 months and multiple tickets for a tribeownership transfer. How cool is that?

7 hours ago, Fukushu said:

I would be really surprised if someone from Wildcard would answer us on why the character restore is such a big problem.

Okay, I will answer.

Now, I am assuming that each data center has a bunch of servers running on the boxes available. Thankfully, it is possible to have the files backed up to an address. I would not recommend FTP WAN, because sending off-site will consume bandwidth and thus create latency problems. One server slot would have to be kept open, with ports, to ensure that a server could be opened with the save file. Thankfully such a server will really only need to have a couple of slots open anyways. It can also be passworded. An admin would only need to give the person a direct connect link, for example steam://connect/support.wildcard.com:27015. Moving the save file over takes about 5 minutes each at most, and then you launch for about 3 or 4 more minutes. Would need to make sure that the server is using the correct map name as well. It is important that the schedule of time for people to recover is followed, as you can imagine, many people have to use this service. Some people will fail to use the service and thus waste time. The other option is to open up live service, and thus on request be able to do this per person who requires character recovery. This could work. However, it is important that the player gives which server they know they were active on at a timezone that the Admin can work with, in order to recover your character from that point in time. Also, you would not be allowed to recover any items or dinosaurs from that server, and it would be important for the Admin to make sure that nobody else logs in to that server; or if they do, to hold them accountable.

Sure it's possible. But there are problems associated with this. But, it would mean getting your entire character back. However, given the time for Wildcard to answer tickets, yeah, that might be a while, and thus I hope you have friends in your tribe.

• Volunteer Moderator
22 hours ago, Sphere said:

They can't recover your lost boss achievements, but I can recover your entire character back down to the last molecule. Per hour backup. But it would probably be a pain in the butt to recover characters the way I can on Unofficial. I take a backup save, and load it into the Backup server and get you to log into that and move your character into the main cluster. This recovers your character back.

Why so much trouble? You just have to delete the arktribute file and re-upload the arkprofile from your backup. No need to run an extra server, you can even restore characters while the server is running as long as the players is logged off at the time you restore it. You however cannot restore a profile from a map to another unless you hex edit the map name along with the length that is stored in the profile.

Just now, invincibleqc said:

Why so much trouble? You just have to delete the arktribute file and re-upload the arkprofile from your backup. No need to run an extra server, you can even restore characters while the server is running as long as the players is logged off at the time you restore it. You however cannot restore a profile from a map to another unless you hex edit the map name along with the length that is stored in the profile.

Oh? I will look at that when I get home.

@Sphere couldn't this be solved way easier? 

They would just need an option to give you the implant you had before, or the slain bosses/engrams + the levels you were missing.

I would even accept if he gave me all the artefacts/trophies so that I could do the missing bosses again but the only thing a GM is ''WILLING'' to do, is giving you a fresh lvl 105 char without engrams and nothing. Offering someone 104 levels for a lost 121 character that was only missing the dragon on island is a joke.

We all spend so many hours with  this game and all that could be gone in a moment because of a server crash in a 4+ year old game....

Pretty much the only way to make sure you are safe is to buy a second copy of the game (when it goes on steam sale) , get everything you need on you main and never leave your server with it. You use your second account to handle farming boss's and transfering servers.  Crappy way of dealing with it but it is what it is. 

This is a stupid issue. It really wouldn't take much to have servers auto backup player data on the server they upload from before any actual transfer. Store the player data for maybe a month then auto delete it. When a player loses their character, get the backup that was created on the server they uploaded from. Build a tool that queries all the servers in a cluster to make sure that player id to be restored isn't in use (players may have just forgot where they transferred to) and then restore the character on the server they initially tried to upload from. You can prevent abuse from people who over didn't lose a char, but instead overwrote or deleted a character simply by logging characters deleted in an overwrite, check the log, and if it was an overwrite no restore.

BUT, even without that kind of backup tool, WC could do a lot more to improve this issue currently without any much new code.

Currently Admins have the capability to fix tribe, level, and imprints...
Admins can force a player into a tribe: admincheat ForcePlayerToJoinTribe <Player ID> <Tribe Name>
Admins can give players exp: GiveExpToPlayer <PlayerID> <HowMuch> <FromTribeShare> <PreventSharingWithTribe>
cheat SetImprintedPlayer <NewImprinterName> <playerID>

For the rest of the issues current commands would need to be modified to include a target player (at least as far as I know these can't target a player) 

cheat UnlockEngram <BlueprintPath>  <-- Adding a target player would allow admins to give people lost engrams.
cheat playercommand Ascend1 (1,2,3) <-- Adding a target player would allow admins to give people back ascension.

So lets be realistic here. This is not really a technical issue, they don't want to because it will increase support requests and cost them more to admin official servers. Which is fine. I can't imagine how many people would try and game the system on official to and get things they never really had. That's a policy decision not a technical one.

That said, why the backup system I described above hasn't been done is beyond me. It would save them money by speeding things up a lot for support and help the player base. I can only assume there is something on the back end preventing this kind of feature...

On 4/2/2019 at 5:51 PM, Fukushu said:

Hello everyone,

I have lost my 121 character 2 days ago and today a gm showed up, gave me 104 levels and told me that he can't give me my ascensions back. 

He can't give me anything in return (I paid for the two bosses because we are only 2 people and my friend doesn't play a lot).

I lost my character while transferring from Aberration to Ragnarok. The Ragnarok server crashed minutes after the transfer and my character was erased.

The offered help is a joke and it took 15 1/2 days for a gm to show up. (due to other reasons)

Has this ever happened to anyone? How can this even be?

With the way this support system works, you could have made a new character yourself and did all the bosses multiple times before the GM even replied.

Sad to think about how long it takes for something like this to get resolved.

I think the easiest solution to implement would be whenever your character is uploaded to the ark (via transfer or direct), that a backup is made immediately after the upload. So the last upload becomes your point-in-time restore of your char.
Then it would just be a matter of support verifying that your char doesn't exist on any current server, and restoring your char to the ark from it's last backup file/row, giving you 24 hours (or so) to transfer to whichever server you want.

Yes, you would lose some progress between what you did after the last upload/transfer, but that seems a reasonable compromise compared to having to redo n-number of bosses, and losing all imprint bonuses. 

Archived