Classic PVP

acat

In Community Crunch 174, wildcard announced a new pvp game mode for pc, called classic pvp. The initative came from Snail games, with the intention "to shake up the current pvp meta" and "to bring back the best memories of ARK in its early PvP days". I wanted to collect the known information about that game mode here in one post, and try to keep it up to date as we learn more. Be aware that these servers may undergo change and seasonal wipes as the mode matures and the devs collect more feedback. The new game mode is replacing the conquest mode, and starts on april 2nd.

• Experience gain, taming, gathering, breeding, hatching, and raising rates have been doubled compared to the standard Official Servers (2x)
  • Tribes are set to 25 players max
  • Tribe alliances are disabled, though informal alliances are allowed
  • Servers have a maximum player count of 100
  • Originally there were 28 clusters. Each cluster had The Island, Scorched Earth, The Center and Ragnarok. Server transfers were only enabled between the 4 servers on each cluster 
  • The single clusters were merged together on April 24
  • Classic PvP servers are unaffected by Evolution Events
  • No Tek dinos (Tek Parasaur, Tek Quetzal, Tek Rex, Tek Raptor, Tek Stego)
  • Giga, Paracer, Quetzal, Tapejara, and the Titanosaur are not available for taming
  • Scaling of weapon damage has been reduced
  • Weapon damage is capped at 200% (clubs at 150%), armor is capped at 300
  • All Aberration and Extinction content is unavailable on Classic PvP (but parts of it might be reintroduced later on)
  • Valguero is included, the aberration engrams are locked tho
  • No TEK Engrams
  • No engrams for chair, bench, cage, the saddles of the untameable creatures

Apparently there will also be some events, but wildcard didnt specify what that means: " The Classic PvP game mode will also serve as a test for new experiences to come, and we’re excited for all the possibilities it can lead to. To start, we'll be working with the community to actively seek out tribes and tribe leaders to be representatives in a new type of broadcasted competitive Classic PvP event. These representatives may be sponsored; therefore they must ensure that they’re upholding fundamental values within their tribe which promote clean and fair play. By doing so, they'll be playing a significant role in expanding ARK’s competitive PvP gameplay and helping us shape the future of large group PvP."

In Community Crunch nr 189 Wildcard announced a classic pvp season 2, but there was no further information given yet.

As wildcard didnt make an official feedback/suggestions thread to collect the feedback they talk about, feel free to leave your opinions here :)

I hope when the clusters get connected some day, that it wont just be an open transfer as we know it. I think it would be cool if it was somehow limited, be it characters only, or just a limited amount per day or whatever. Something that would connect the clusters but still make it a hurdle you have to take. It would be nice if the single clusters stay a bit seperate with each one keeping its own eco system. 

I normally play on xbox becuase my laptop is a potato but I had to try this new mode out. Surprisingly Ark runs pretty decent on cheap laptops and I'm loving the experience so far.

One gripe I have with classic servers is the inclusion of Ragnarok. I feel this is when the game started getting unbalanced. Not even the Griffins really but just the map itself. There's a reason Ragnarok is still one of the most played maps.

Resources are insanely abundent on Ragnarok. Dino levels are more frequently higher. Aquirring difficult to attain dinos is made easy on Ragnarok. Tons of ovis which are supposed to be a rare commodity. 

It would have been better if WC has Island, SE and Center and worked either nerfing Ragnarok to not be such a good map or improving the other maps. Even just boosting dino levels for the Island/SE would be OK. 

But ya, Ragnarok is where the unbalance started. 

1 hour ago, mitchellkrever said:

I normally play on xbox becuase my laptop is a potato but I had to try this new mode out. Surprisingly Ark runs pretty decent on cheap laptops and I'm loving the experience so far.

One gripe I have with classic servers is the inclusion of Ragnarok. I feel this is when the game started getting unbalanced. Not even the Griffins really but just the map itself. There's a reason Ragnarok is still one of the most played maps.

Resources are insanely abundent on Ragnarok. Dino levels are more frequently higher. Aquirring difficult to attain dinos is made easy on Ragnarok. Tons of ovis which are supposed to be a rare commodity. 

It would have been better if WC has Island, SE and Center and worked either nerfing Ragnarok to not be such a good map or improving the other maps. Even just boosting dino levels for the Island/SE would be OK. 

I don't think so. It's a free map, like the Center which has the same higher dino level spawn rate, so there's no reason someone can't go over and partake in the hunting and resource harvesting, same as anybody else.

It's not like having to buy a DLC to get a Reaper, Drake, Crab, Owl, Velo, or Mana (imprinted). It actually evened the field for getting Golem's and Wyv's as well as Griffins plus flame arrows and plant y and easy desert loot.

2 hours ago, yekrucifixion187 said:

I don't think so. It's a free map, like the Center which has the same higher dino level spawn rate, so there's no reason someone can't go over and partake in the hunting and resource harvesting, same as anybody else.

It's not like having to buy a DLC to get a Reaper, Drake, Crab, Owl, Velo, or Mana (imprinted). It actually evened the field for getting Golem's and Wyv's as well as Griffins plus flame arrows and plant y and easy desert loot.

Huh? My issue isnt with whether it is a free map or not. My issue is that this map is unbalanced when compared to the other maps that it gives a huge advantage to people living on Ragnrok compared to any other map. In a server vs server environment, being on Ragnarok gives you an advantage.

Also yes Center does have higher level spawn but the thing with Ragnarok that is different than any other map is it has it all and then some. EVERYTHING is great about Ragnarok with no disadvantages which kinda forces you to play on one single map if you want to be the bigger server alpha... Ragnarok.

2 hours ago, mitchellkrever said:

Huh? My issue isnt with whether it is a free map or not. My issue is that this map is unbalanced when compared to the other maps that it gives a huge advantage to people living on Ragnrok compared to any other map. In a server vs server environment, being on Ragnarok gives you an advantage.

Also yes Center does have higher level spawn but the thing with Ragnarok that is different than any other map is it has it all and then some. EVERYTHING is great about Ragnarok with no disadvantages which kinda forces you to play on one single map if you want to be the bigger server alpha... Ragnarok.

What the other guy was getting at, is that if anyone wanted to go over to rag even just to do a resource run and then transfere back over to the center and such, they can. Nothing is stopping them, where as the other maps which were disabled, yes they are also unbalanced but they are worse because they are paid DLC's which means even if I wanted to just go over and grab a mana, I cant unless I buy the dlc, so there is a barrier, not everyone can just go over to those maps, unlike rag which althou may also be a little unbalanced atleast anyone can go over there and reap the same advantages, even if it's just for transferring back over to the island. That is why rag is different, sure some unbalance but nothing is stopping you from going over to gain that advantage besides your own personal choices. The maps which were removed are unbalanced but you cant just go over there if you wanted to, you would have to buy the DLC first. Make sense?

It seems strange to me that they reduce weapon damage but leave dinosaurs as they are. That strikes of unbalance, players on dinos already have a huge advantage over some poor guy on foot. Even the lesser of the combat dinos can still easily dispatch a player on foot especially if its a high level that has been bred and imprinted.

I also find I odd that they've left Wyverns in the game even though its meant to be "classic". If you ask me they should be bold and try a mode that has no flyers (including those rocket powered gliders ie Rock Drakes).

A no flyers mode on Official PVP servers would be something ground breaking and fresh, a new dawn for the ARK. I am certain a great many players would appreciate it as well.

Im not sure if wildcard forgot to mention it in the original cc174 or if they have decided on it later, but there is no tek on classic pvp. I really appreciate that! There is just one thing i will miss from tek tier. And thats the tek turrets, they are very important because their splash damage kills riders of soaker dinos. A new ammo or a whole new automated defense that serves the same purpose would be welcome.

4 hours ago, ForzaProiettile said:

It seems strange to me that they reduce weapon damage but leave dinosaurs as they are. That strikes of unbalance, players on dinos already have a huge advantage of some poor guy on foot. Even the lesser of the combat dinos can still easily dispatch a player on foot especially if its a high level that has been bred and imprinted.

Agree, it would be good to at least get some more info about how the damage scaling has been reduced. 

4 hours ago, acat said:

So that the mega tribes take over? No thanks. 

The release notes mention that Classic PVP servers are being designed as a competitive PVP enviroment. They also that they may sponsor tribes and broadcast gameplay akin to esports. There are tons of different kinds of ARK servers catering to players of different tastes, if you are a casual player, classic PVP is not for you as its specifically being built for competitive players.

10 hours ago, covenantgrunt said:

The release notes mention that Classic PVP servers are being designed as a competitive PVP enviroment. They also that they may sponsor tribes and broadcast gameplay akin to esports. There are tons of different kinds of ARK servers catering to players of different tastes, if you are a casual player, classic PVP is not for you as its specifically being built for competitive players.

Competitive does not equal mega tribe. The small tribe servers are competitive as well...

There were no mega tribes at the time that they try to bring back with classic and the majority of players, not only the casual ones, dislike those huge tribes. 

On 4/3/2019 at 8:04 PM, mitchellkrever said:

I agree. 

15 hours ago, covenantgrunt said:

Bla bla bla... omg.

Man, go to play normal servers pvp. No limit players in tribes, no limit transfer in the servers, no limit in nothing.

Classic have a objetive and this no incluse to be equal other normal servers.

On 4/5/2019 at 9:29 AM, acat said:

Competitive does not equal mega tribe. The small tribe servers are competitive as well...

There were no mega tribes at the time that they try to bring back with classic and the majority of players, not only the casual ones, dislike those huge tribes. 

Creating and sustaining a mega tribe is a highly  competitive skill. I dont get the hate for megatribes, when that is like the highest level of skill based ARK gameplay.

On 4/5/2019 at 1:08 PM, arrojado1200 said:

Bla bla bla... omg.

Man, go to play normal servers pvp. No limit players in tribes, no limit transfer in the servers, no limit in nothing.

Classic have a objetive and this no incluse to be equal other normal servers.

Actually you should go play 6 man servers, as that was specifically created to address what you want. Classics aint 6man, its official gameplay for big tribes that prefer it to be even more hardcore, with no tek, no easy farming, no cryos etc.

On 4/5/2019 at 3:14 AM, covenantgrunt said:

I am a casual player and I love playing on official PVP not just that but even though I get raided hard me and my small tribe still hold their own, this even with a full time job and only getting to play now and then and mostly only on weekends. Yet I will still throw myself at the PvP wall full force despite my casual non commitment based approach and I enjoy every moment of it, Please do not tell me or anyone else what is or isnt for us, we can decide that for ourselves thank you. None of this if you arent a super competitive ark player with tons of time on your hands then official pvp isnt for you bull:poop:. I will decide if I dont want to play PvP anymore for myself thank you very much, and that is not going to happen anytime soon.

Archived