Weigh In: Options for the future of Primitive+

Cedric

Also Wildcard develops games to earn money with it - obviously you cannot earn money with Prim+ ... so you do not invest in Prim+.

Maybe we have to be honest and ask ourselves - are we ready to spend money for an ARK Prim+ again?

I say - YES - I would also spend money for it!

A new paid DLC - ARK Primitive Plus - 
- clean and coherent content
- sensibly supplied with updates
- maintained by WC

if I am not the last / only one who mourns his beloved primitive Ark, you could bring this idea to WC.

• 1 month later...
On 10/8/2020 at 4:12 AM, MrsKimmy said:

Also Wildcard develops games to earn money with it - obviously you cannot earn money with Prim+ ... so you do not invest in Prim+.

Maybe we have to be honest and ask ourselves - are we ready to spend money for an ARK Prim+ again?

I say - YES - I would also spend money for it!

A new paid DLC - ARK Primitive Plus - 
- clean and coherent content
- sensibly supplied with updates
- maintained by WC

if I am not the last / only one who mourns his beloved primitive Ark, you could bring this idea to WC.

Personally I don't see why we would need to invest at all in Primitive Plus financially. Wildcard made the decision to add it and therefore by default, should maintain it. 

However, that said, as they are not doing anything for it at that point. Cutting out events, new creatures, new maps, and items such as the TLC and letting it run as is.... Something needs to be done. 

I am personally am still of the mind that they should add it to the main game and have a few official server's thrown up that remove the Industrial and Tek Engrams so it would act as though it were a primitive map. The checkbox that remove those Industrial and Tek Engrams could then also be added to unofficial so they could set it up the same way. 

I have spoken with quiet a few who would love to play a Primitive Game that includes the Primitive Plus items and Industrial even - removing only Tek from the equation since between the standard early game and the Primitive early game you would could really get creative with the items. 

At the end, the idea is that the mode isn't completely removed, but set up so it is easier to maintain and utilize the best aspects that come with it without all the problems it currently has. 

On 11/12/2020 at 12:25 PM, Zarn said:

Do something , anything at this point .

Technically, though not cleanly stated through this site, they did mention in the discord at one point that due to the low numbers that the servers have that it is not a priority at this point. And that while they realize that it is not functioning and that could be a reason why the numbers are so low, they don't feel the manpower and funds needed to get it back up to speed are a priority. 

It is a messed up cycle.

Personally I had hoped that when they released the so-called "mode" questionnaire, that being a "mode" itself - and the only alternative mode for console - it would have been mentioned and that they may have been able to better gauge the interest in the mode through it.  However they refused to acknowledge it instead and focused mainly on modes for PC players and didn't even mention it. 

At this point it seems they simply don't care.

So while I agree 100% that they do something. Or even get a clear statement as to the future of the mode - whether that be that they work on it or not, they seem to prefer to leave things open ended just in case they want to do something with them at some point... 

@Cedric

Greeting cedric, i dont get it. This whole situation with prim plus and the excuses the big guys use of "not enough people play with our broken toy, so we dont do anything to it" seems kinda stupid. When plenty of people would play it. I would. Hell even broken i prefer prim plus over vanilla it just makes more sense and more features.

That being said wheres the updates? Its been a year with a single update and no more news as to its fate. Whats going on? Whats the progress? Decisions? Even if its been canned i wanna know. Just like every other person and dozens of others that have said fix it. Anything would be nice. Quit being a ghost and tell us

17 hours ago, mindlesstime said:

Making it part of the core game would suggest that single players like me would not have access to it. Making it a mod would suggest that only PC players would have access to it. 

Another option to think about is making it a spin off, its own separate game like pixark.  

Not really. Making it part of the main game would actually be to incorporate it as standard items to the series. 

So really it would be accessible by everyone because the game wouldn't exist without the items unless you specifically set it up as such. 

And as a single player, you too could have the setting to add and/or remove Tek and/or Industrial items through check box or individual engram removal selections.

Everyone, regardless of game mode or play style would have access to both Primitive and Standard game engrams if it were incorporated. 

Honestly I am not sure how you came to the conclusion that single player would be left out. The Single Player version of the game is based off the Official/Standard version of the game and that is where we are suggesting they go. 

On 11/18/2020 at 8:46 AM, SapphireSam7 said:

Not really. Making it part of the main game would actually be to incorporate it as standard items to the series. 

So really it would be accessible by everyone because the game wouldn't exist without the items unless you specifically set it up as such. 

And as a single player, you too could have the setting to add and/or remove Tek and/or Industrial items through check box or individual engram removal selections.

Everyone, regardless of game mode or play style would have access to both Primitive and Standard game engrams if it were incorporated. 

Honestly I am not sure how you came to the conclusion that single player would be left out. The Single Player version of the game is based off the Official/Standard version of the game and that is where we are suggesting they go. 

Thank you for clearing that up. My concern was based on the first thought that popped into my mind and that was Ark taking the easy route and making it a dedicated server. 

I suppose my main concern would be how it is incorporated into the game. I don't think I would like having to choose between tek and primitive engrams in settings. But choosing to build a tek or lumber house in game, that I would like.

Also eating pizza while sitting next to a tek replicator would be fun too.

Edited by mindlesstime

On 11/20/2020 at 10:25 AM, mindlesstime said:

Thank you for clearing that up. My concern was based on the first thought that popped into my mind and that was Ark taking the easy route and making it a dedicated server. 

I suppose my main concern would be how it is incorporated into the game. I don't think I would like having to choose between tek and primitive engrams in settings. But choosing to build a tek or lumber house in game, that I would like.

Also eating pizza while sitting next to a tek replicator would be fun too.

Not saying that this is 100% how it would be done, but how I see it happening. For example;

If you started up a game using official engram settings, then all items from both Primitive Plus and Official Game would be learnable by default. There may be some restructuring or reorganizing of some in the engram list to make them all fit progressionally together, but they would all exist for the player to learn. The few that would not be would be those that are maps specific. 

However, not all players may be interested in using all the items from both modes. After all, some of those that play Primitive Plus as it is do so because it doesn't have some advanced Industrial or Tek items because they prefer to play without those engrams. 

So for the sake of customizing for those players it has been suggested that there be a checkbox for Tek Engrams and Industrial Engrams that could be turned off and on. The other suggestion would be to simply have a checkbox for each engram that you could manually turn on and off as you wish. Which is something you can already do through the game.ini file for hosted and PC maps. However grouping them together as Tek Engrams and Industrial Engrams could simplify that process for those that simply wanted the original Primitive Plus feel to the game. 

The group I play with would probably go for a mix. We would select for the Industrial Items to be checked on, but tek to be checked off. We feel that the industrial/electrical items fit progressionally and that the Tek Items change the feel of the game and prefer to play without them. 

Essentially you would be able to choose between Tek and/or Lumber while eating pizza if you chose to set it up as such. 

In the end, adding the Primitive Plus items to the main game would assist with a few things. 

• Since they would be part of the main game, several of the items that are "broken" in Primitive Plus would be fixed by default as they are working in the main game. (kibble, events, creature TLC, etc...)
  • It would allow the main game the use of the Primitive Plus gardening items to be incorporated into the taming method officially which could give herbivores more options for taming. As it is the carnivores have several and the herbivores have few.
  • It would expand and blow up the Farming/Gardening and Cooking aspect of the game, which could be a hefty win for those that would love to use it. 
  • It would add new decorative tiers which have been asked for since players began to realize that they haven't added anything since Scorched Earth and we are now several maps overdue. 
  • Structure Tiers specific to Primitive Plus could get an updated which could include the Large Walls, Triangle Pieces, and the Stairs/Ramp items. Which were skipped when those items were initially added. 
  • If Dino's or Drops went missing, the would do so for all so Wild Card may be in a bit more of a rush to actually get them up and running again. 
  • Adding the engrams would add several progressional steps to the items you can build if arranged properly (I created an excel spreadsheet to organize them all and it really does fit well with a few name changes and such here and there)
  • It would give player's more options for customizable gameplay. Such as choosing between the hammer and the longneck for taming. Or to upgrade to higher level bows vs guns and ammo. 
  • Allows those who have been playing Primitive Plus the chance to expand to other maps and actually use them and explore them fully without losing out with each. To which I am referring the use of the items dedicated to the new maps as well as the saddles for the creatures on the. 
    • This note could also earn them some funds and not all Primitive Plus players have purchased the newer maps as they would be able to utilize the items above listed. 

And those are just a few of the reason I can think of on short time. 

• 2 weeks later...

All those are def good things. But we gotta remember the biggest game changer. Dodos will no longer be able to produce meat. They would have to produce paultry if we added prim plus to the actual game which i think would improve the game tbh. Cuz enough mechanics in prim plus rely on them producing paultry. Which would chage the dynamics quite a bit and force people to stop relying on dodos to tame prime eating dinos. Those kinda things are what make prim plus better in my eyes.

• 5 months later...

From reading about P plus, and also the known issues. I would vote to include it in the main game, as this seems to be the only way I am going to be able to experience it. 

I am playing on PC, and have mods installed for other maps, and can't get P plus to load at all. Or rather, it does load, but gets all the way to the end of the loading, then exits before I can play. 

I think perhaps, if it is part of the main game, it will be more compatible with other things, and therefore actually playable. I have been recommended P plus by a few people, as it enhances the parts of Ark that are my fav bits, and so am sad that I can't get it to run.

• 3 months later...

We need it to be made into a mode and maintenance done by the devs thousands of us play prim plus and love it Cedric. We're just tired of getting hosed.  Yes I own an unofficial cluster for prim plus. It would be awesome not to have to find all the work around to keep player happy when issues arise. 

Edited by Luckythelepruchaun

• 2 weeks later...

I would love to see prim+ become part o the main game, hell I'd pay for it as a dlc as well if I had to. I loved the fact that prim+ actually brought more to the farming and cooking aspect of ark. That's mostly the reason I play prim+, because I have all those different seeds and recipes. 

I play on PS4 so I have no way to get mods to add new things like that so the fact that prim+ had that, I instantly fell in love.  The fact that it's pretty well been abandoned though sucks, it's a great change from the race to Tek that Ark has pretty much become now.

17 hours ago, Tigerlilly said:

I would love to see prim+ become part o the main game, hell I'd pay for it as a dlc as well if I had to. I loved the fact that prim+ actually brought more to the farming and cooking aspect of ark. That's mostly the reason I play prim+, because I have all those different seeds and recipes. 

I play on PS4 so I have no way to get mods to add new things like that so the fact that prim+ had that, I instantly fell in love.  The fact that it's pretty well been abandoned though sucks, it's a great change from the race to Tek that Ark has pretty much become now.

Honestly, as someone who spent a few years on Xbox running a server before moving to the PC/Steam to do so - even with all the mods out there, there isn't a single one that does everything that Prim+ does.  You can create a similar feel for it, but they just aren't the same. Some have tried, but a lot of what makes Prim+ great just doesn't come through all the way. Honestly I was surprised when I moved to steam that someone hadn't already started creating a Prim+ 2.0 where all original items were included and new items were added. Instead it almost seems as though most authors are choose not to out of care for the original, even though it isn't available as a mod anymore. 

My group LOVED Prim+ on Xbox. Even with all its faults we often ran a map with it. For all the reasons you list and more. We always felt that the tek aspect was fun, but it took a lot away from the survival experience. I know not all feel the same, but that is how it was for us. 

And if paying for it to get added was an option we would all do so in a heart beat. Ever since this post and another with the new suggestion voting method came out way back when, I crossed my fingers and hoped something would be said or done. I would have even voted for a fund drive if that is what was holding them back. A weekend drive to earn some funds to bring Prime+ back up to par? I would be 100% all over that. 

But instead nothing. If I recall correctly they have basically stated on Twitter that is is a loss cause due to lack of interest. Not that it seemed they considered the fact that the lack of interest may have had less to do with the mode and more to do with it being broken for so long. It isn't really fair to judge a semi-working mode that still has its own glitches against another mode that hasn't received any true updates or fixes in years. But that could be just my own opinion. 

At this point, they should, at the very least, get it up to fully functional as a mode before transitioning all attention to Ark 2 and/or open up the mod again so that those that wish to take it on could. And perhaps if those that took it on as a mod again do well enough, it could be added back as a Prim+ 2.0 for all to play. Since a mode and mod are two different things, there is no reason why they couldn't do both. 

• Thanks 1

• 5 months later...

I still love prim plus even if it's a buggy mess, don't know how often anyone gives a poop about prim plus over at wildcard. 

But this is asking opinions on prim plus. 

Bug fixes - literally the biggest single issue is all of the bugs crawling in and on and over this game mode.

Saddles - starting with Deins. Custom idea for tropes in CI that just drop grenades like a bomber-run. Andrewsarchus could have a heavy crossbow that could deal higher damage instead of a gattling, etc. All awesome. 

Gas masks or equivalent - plague masks anyone? Or else remove the toxic gas from some places so we can still run some of the caves

Plant Z - because they add utility to combat 

Paint on structures - because it would make for some stellar possibilities for builds

Triangle bases and structures - so I can build my towers in lumber and brick

Add all the "primitive" items from all DLCs to all maps in prim plus - adding canoes, loadout mannequins, pressure plates, etc. Would add so much depth and fun and all the interesting placeables 

Argentavis - allow them to retain the ability to lift wild dinos as they used to

The Mailbox - can we have this in the base game please? Or just have it work in prim plus? Leaving notes can be fun.

Blunderbuss - because a shotgun of some kind is kind of useful

• 3 months later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 5 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...