Weigh In: Options for the future of Primitive+

Cedric

@Cedric I was so excited to see attention to the Official Prim Plus Clusters. Since this thread went live things have become very frustrating. The combination of lost characters and uncertainty has about taken the life out of a very dedicated group of players on Prim Plus. Some tribes were so weakened by the lost characters then the intrusion of opportunistic players and no way to defend themselves or their bases they find thenselves questioning both waiting for their characters but more importantly should they even waste the time if their time will be wasted with a wipe.

Can we have some direction/clarity before all is lost?

Help, Prim Plus CrossCluster 3 The Island has been going down numerous times in the last week for up to 11 hours at a time. At this point in time its unplayable. Did we get moved already? This server was one of the most stable servers in Ark up to a week ago now its crap. What changed? It also contains the Center. So when one goes down they both go down. 

Speaking as a Developer,

Integrate it into the main game

• Positives: It's no longer a separate DLC and enhances the existing primitive content
  • Negatives: It loses the specific mode

You can drop the Negative. Integrate the CODE into the main game, move some elements into base game(such as decorative items, unless you want to keep it as a drive for playing it), but keep the support for an alternate "mode" but now with the code as a first class citizen in the code base, primitive plus is default 'maintained' and 'considered' when updates to the code is made.

We can't tolerate loss of data. If I lost all my progress I'd probably just stop playing. I really hate having to redo something i've already done.

It's worth it's own separate mode, but nothing should stop that mode being maintained as part of the games core code base.

Edited by Aikar

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

We have a clustered normal servers and started 2 new primitive plus servers on ps4, for what it's worth I would add the primitive engrams to the main game. 

For pve players it gives so much more content with the extended farming, cooking and building items,  the arguement that in the main game it would be ignored is a mute point in my opinion, just because you have tek troughs and things doesn't mean you wouldn't have a smoke house or fruit press and the like as they look great and give you other things to harvest and farm. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
On 6/14/2019 at 9:04 PM, R3markable said:

Primitive plus' strength comes from it being separate from the Tek content. It is a game mode / role playing option for those who feel that the futuristic stuff breaks the immersion in a dinosaur game. What ever route will be chosen, I hope it can still be played as a separate mode. 

This, right here. Please don't integrate P+ into the main game. I and a lot of people play the mode specifically to avoid the Tek and Modern content and all the pitfalls that come with it. The aesthetic of prehistoric animals and low-tech lifestyle also fits so much better, imo. Not to mention that Primitive + would be smothered under ARK's normal content. It'd be a cute distraction on PvE before players left it behind again for the convenience of air conditioners, generators and Tek Rifles or whatever. 

Let's put it like this: People who play Primitive + for the sake of Primitive + and the immersion are the only ones at risk in this situation. Whereas people who would play the content before forgetting it exists save for the cute little 'look what I made' shenanigans stand to lose nothing except for novelty. 

The only way I'd be behind integrating it into the main game is if there was a dedicated server type that capped at P+. No Assault Rifles, Tek Saddles, or mechs. Just people with a focus on their tames and not their toys. 

This thread is designed for people with a technical background to respond to. I see numerous people responding with comments that do not make sense / show they do not understand what the options mean.

Merging into the base game does not mean removal of what we have. As I responded above, it's actually the best option we have.

I would like for it to become a base part of the game personally, that way we could have access to the main engrams and the primitive ones as well. It would be more coding for those of us Server owners but locking engrams isn't terribly hard if you're aware of what you are doing. Love Prim+ hate the bugginess of it sometimes, love how it adds more variety into the game and as stated would love to see it alongside Tek and modern items as well.

• 2 weeks later...

I would like to start off by saying I haven't been playing prim+ for very long, however,  it is by far my favorite part of ark.  I understand that adding it to the main game would change a huge aspect of it. Everyone on my server (after a lot of persuading) tried it and loved it. The total immersion and complex crafting, not to mention the actual design of the craftables (crafting tables, ceiling lanterns, the storage containers like the mining box and wood shed) all bring a fantastic feel to the game. It feels like your building a home vs a defensive base used to produce weapons and a dino factory. The different buildings materials make everything immersive, personal, and look great.  The different harvestables (different meats and crops) make hunting and cooking much more fun. Given the chance we would use all of these over tek. That's not saying we don't love our tek and miss it sometimes. What im trying to say is i think it should be integrated into the main game and would in no way take away from, but would add to the over all enjoyment. 

Edited by Iriamachina
  • Thanks 3

• 3 weeks later...
On 7/5/2019 at 2:38 AM, Iriamachina said:

I would like to start off by saying I haven't been playing prim+ for very long, however,  it is by far my favorite part of ark.  I understand that adding it to the main game would change a huge aspect of it. Everyone on my server (after a lot of persuading) tried it and loved it. The total immersion and complex crafting, not to mention the actual design of the craftables (crafting tables, ceiling lanterns, the storage containers like the mining box and wood shed) all bring a fantastic feel to the game. It feels like your building a home vs a defensive base used to produce weapons and a dino factory. The different buildings materials make everything immersive, personal, and look great.  The different harvestables (different meats and crops) make hunting and cooking much more fun. Given the chance we would use all of these over tek. That's not saying we don't love our tek and miss it sometimes. What im trying to say is i think it should be integrated into the main game and would in no way take away from, but would add to the over all enjoyment. 

I would also like to add that adding it into the main game would be more beneficial as a whole to the community. If you change it to a mod, that means console players would no longer get to play it. You would lose a huge player base. As you did with vanilla servers, you could host prim+ servers that would pander to the players that don't want access to the electricity and tek tiers. However, you would enhance the largest player base you have by adding it all into the main game.  It has to be maintained, work with the rest of the game, and patches won't keep breaking it.  This is the best option. Add the collectables, the ore, coal, crops etc. As well as the crafting benches and recipes. You'll add more stuff to do in the game and honestly having a cosmetic option to some things is something this game is missing. (We would pay extra for cosmetic options) The kibble is fantastic but if you add the crops to the main game is adds yet another option to taming and cooking (i love the baking and farming lol) if we're being honest lumber and brick look fantastic and combining them with wood and stone makes the aesthetic building much more fun and the glass just looks amazing. 

Sorry for the long run on post but ive talked to my server and this is the combined feedback. There is no drawback to adding prim+ in full into the main game. 

I know it would require a great deal of coding and testing but it would be worth it and it's something that a great deal of your players have been asking for.  More options, decorations and diversity. 

@Floatgoat, I would have to agree. It would be nice to hear something or have a comment made. I was so excited when this post came out because I love the primitive plus version of the game, but it has been so long since we have heard anything. 

In fact, because of the issues, we have temporarily closed down the primitive plus server my friends and I had on our cluster. As much as we liked it, many things were broken. We hope that it is addressed some day so that we may open it up again. Or if the items are later made an optional inclusion into the main game, we would love that too. Fingers crossed we hear something before too long. ??

• 3 weeks later...

I don't see how you can integrate this into the main game since the game uses it as a total conversion mod, disabling many of the core features of the game. 

I do think this should be made into an official mod, take as example Survival Plus, it works really well, or used to work really well until Val launched. Though its not sponsored, it works better than P+ 1000 TIMES !

I hate the fact that a game like ARK, which is supposed to be ancient/primordial/prehistoric or in prehistory, has guns, AR rifles, aliens, ufo's, tek gear and other things like that. I understand that its something cool for some players, but there's a lot of people like me, craving for a primitive way of playing the game...being man vs beast or man vs nature, trying to evolve, grow, learn etc.

For months actually, for years now, we have to put up with constant struggles when using P+, it never got a stable update, there's no help for it, there's no forums, there's nothing, just empty promises.

I know this is going to sound harsh Mr. Ced. but how about you first FIX  your own DLC and make it a bit more stable, before making such posts, and making us vote where we see P+ in the future. This DLC was forgotten and abandoned since 2017, I think we prefer it to work as it is now, than giving us false hope to make it a mod or include in the main game or so on. 

We don't want this thread to be opened in 2025, I mean why start more work ? when you have a ton of unfinished work already. 

This is the single fact I never liked about Wild Card, other than that hats down.

All in all I think everyone will be happy if you fix P+ as it is today, and make it functional over all maps and type of servers.

On 8/2/2019 at 8:38 PM, SapphireSam7 said:

@Floatgoat, I would have to agree. It would be nice to hear something or have a comment made. I was so excited when this post came out because I love the primitive plus version of the game, but it has been so long since we have heard anything. 

In fact, because of the issues, we have temporarily closed down the primitive plus server my friends and I had on our cluster. As much as we liked it, many things were broken. We hope that it is addressed some day so that we may open it up again. Or if the items are later made an optional inclusion into the main game, we would love that too. Fingers crossed we hear something before too long. ??

Yep, just like Ced did the DLC when he launced, it came out and that was it, nobody every touched, fixed or anything. Now this thread is from March, who wants to bet we won't get any news until xmas or next year ?

No hate here, but prove me wrong ? I am tired of abandoned projects and false hope, especially when I enjoy something like P+ so much.

On 6/20/2019 at 7:16 PM, Aikar said:

This thread is designed for people with a technical background to respond to. I see numerous people responding with comments that do not make sense / show they do not understand what the options mean.

Merging into the base game does not mean removal of what we have. As I responded above, it's actually the best option we have.

IF you get the right to an opinion anyone should :)

The best option "we" have right now, is to leave primitive plus where IT IS, and FIX IT ! Instead of creating more work , that will be left unfinished(as P+) how about you people start where you left off in 2017 ? Fix the damn DLC, and make it a bit more stable on all platforms, over all servers, is that really harder than changing the whole setup of the DLC ? or the word FIX, is something nobody related to WC knows ?

On 6/19/2019 at 4:40 AM, OnePotatoChip said:

This, right here. Please don't integrate P+ into the main game. I and a lot of people play the mode specifically to avoid the Tek and Modern content and all the pitfalls that come with it. The aesthetic of prehistoric animals and low-tech lifestyle also fits so much better, imo. Not to mention that Primitive + would be smothered under ARK's normal content. It'd be a cute distraction on PvE before players left it behind again for the convenience of air conditioners, generators and Tek Rifles or whatever. 

Let's put it like this: People who play Primitive + for the sake of Primitive + and the immersion are the only ones at risk in this situation. Whereas people who would play the content before forgetting it exists save for the cute little 'look what I made' shenanigans stand to lose nothing except for novelty. 

The only way I'd be behind integrating it into the main game is if there was a dedicated server type that capped at P+. No Assault Rifles, Tek Saddles, or mechs. Just people with a focus on their tames and not their toys. 

Damn right, this is the most accurate post in the whole thread, only people that are struggling with this DLC will be affected, I am struggling now for 2 years with this mod, just because in my opinion, that's how ark should be, primitive and prehistoric.

On 4/24/2019 at 6:31 PM, Aikar said:

Speaking as a Developer,

Integrate it into the main game

• Positives: It's no longer a separate DLC and enhances the existing primitive content
  • Negatives: It loses the specific mode

You can drop the Negative. Integrate the CODE into the main game, move some elements into base game(such as decorative items, unless you want to keep it as a drive for playing it), but keep the support for an alternate "mode" but now with the code as a first class citizen in the code base, primitive plus is default 'maintained' and 'considered' when updates to the code is made.

We can't tolerate loss of data. If I lost all my progress I'd probably just stop playing. I really hate having to redo something i've already done.

It's worth it's own separate mode, but nothing should stop that mode being maintained as part of the games core code base.

You hate having to redo something you've already done ? Try playing P+ for 3 years, and if you still stay in the game, thumbs UP ! 

15 hours ago, Mithedhel said:

Only one of these seems appropriate and it's integrate it into the main game. Primitive plus is GORGEOUS and it should be the main way to play ARK

I dunno

Steel and other replacements for things that exist in main ARK are not really needed.
However, the "normal" prim mode should be prim+

Ced left this thread to die, exactly like his mod, don't expect anything, and use other mods supported and made by people that actually care about this game. 

That's the closest way you will get to a primitive point of game-play. 

WC is busy making the next DLC to suck more from the milking cows they dare to call "our players".

SHAME !

On 8/22/2019 at 10:21 AM, RegisInferorum said:

IF you get the right to an opinion anyone should :)

The best option "we" have right now, is to leave primitive plus where IT IS, and FIX IT ! Instead of creating more work , that will be left unfinished(as P+) how about you people start where you left off in 2017 ? Fix the damn DLC, and make it a bit more stable on all platforms, over all servers, is that really harder than changing the whole setup of the DLC ? or the word FIX, is something nobody related to WC knows ?

You just proved my point. You do not have the experience to understand what this thread is asking and just made a very uninformed response.

Integrating it into the main game is HOW they fix it. Integrating it DOES NOT remove P+. It DOES NOT force you to have TEK back.

If they integrate it back to the main game, you can have everything you know about P+ today just like it is, but less bugs, with it actually working more correctly (To the same standards as main ARK).

Keeping P+ "as is and fixing it" is a TEMPORARY solution, only for it to break AGAIN the next update. 

If you don't understand what I'm saying, then you are not experienced enough on a technical level to argue this and need to stop.

But whatever at this point. I'm done with P+ as there's no hopes of it ever getting this work done and it's limited in gameplay content and WC has said they are "done" with new content for it, so no point in it anymore for me.