Dungeon Preparations!

docredduke10

My tribe has already begun preparing for the dungeons.  I thought I would throw out there what we are doing and see if anyone had any other ideas.  From what I understand, the dungeons will be very big and take a long time to complete.  Bosses will be introduced and there will be rooms that lock behind you and only unlock once enemies are taken care of.  Players only, no tames, and PvE rules.  Players will also not be able to regenerate health automatically.  The spoils include special Tek engrams, eerie creature implants, and a new creature to tame.  We are on a PvX server, so we only have 6 tribe member slots available, so we may need to work with another tribe depending on how hard the dungeons are.  Here is what we are doing and planning:

• 1. Get best flak armor blue prints from the small ice cave.  So far we have 4 of the 5 pieces with over 1000 armor rating.
  • 2.  Get very good shotgun blue print.  Have one with 476 damage and 4400 durability.  I think I got it from the lava cave artifact tribute.
  • 3. Get very good assault rifle blue print.  Have one with 329 damage and 418 durability.  I think I got it from the yeti cave artifact tribute.
  • 4. Get plenty of riot shields from yeti cave.  We already have a bunch.
  • 5. Make a ton of shotgun shells and advanced rifle bullets.  How many per player?
  • 6. Make a ton of medical brews.  How many per player?
  • 7.  Make some shadow steak saute.  How many?
  • 8.  Possible narcotics and stimulants.
  • 9.  Extra set of light weight armor.

Our plan is to have one of our players up front with a riot shield and sword acting as a tank.  The rest mainly using shotguns, assault rifles, pistols, or longneck rifles.  We have given thought to one of the players maxing out his weight stat and acting as a pack mule of sorts in order to carry a lot of healing supplies.  We have 4 of our 6 tribe members that will be able to contribute in this endeavor, so more than likely we will try to enter cave and work with another tribe to complete.

Possible strategies:

• Remove any arthropleuras first.  They damage armor durability, so removing them before they wipe your armor is important.
  • Divide and conquer?  If dungeons are very big, will it be better to split up and search for boss transport first?
  • Player roles?  Will it benefit the team to have a "tank" or "pack mule"?
  • Maping?  How important will it be to keep a map.  Maps change every week, and you can run once a day for free, so how valuable is keeping a map of the dungeon.  Could you make amber for being a dungeon guide?

Please give your 2 cents or more.  Dungeons are only 2 months away.

• GroveStreet

Dinos: You'll have no idea what to expect in the dungeons on the first run ?
Divide & Conquer: This is a good strategy except if part of your split party encounters a very difficult room and needs help quickly. I'd recommend splitting up, but staying somewhat close together
Player Roles: Absolutely, especially have players that can carry ammo and have a good speed stat to evade creatures while their tribemates fight for them
Mapping: I imagine our Youtube partners will have dungeon series where they map out each dungeon efficiently, for those players who don't like surprises

As per the rest of your strategy, this is a good start. I wouldn't discount the usefulness of compound bow and bola either. Retrievable ammo will be a very efficient way to keep weight down.

I'm probably the only one in my tribe who will be running dungeons regularly, so unless other server players group up (which is possible), I'll be running dungeons solo for the most part.

I'm taking a different approach from most other players. I'm not crafting insanely high level armor and weapons due to the cost and risk of losing them. I've crafted quite a few sets of mid-level (and expendable) flak and riot, relying more on my skills. I will also be using a riot shield.

As far as weapons, I have a high-end apprentice compound bow blueprint that I can easily craft from killing penguins, a good pike blueprint, and a good sword blueprint. I've crafted a supply of these weapons and metal arrows. I'll be carrying an iron skillet, both for quick defense against things like wolves, dilos, and sabers as well as for obtaining small creature implants efficiently. I also have the eerie pistol for backup. It doesn't do much damage, but it's cheap to craft and doesn't require ammo or reloading. I don't plan to use other firearms because of the reduced damage they deal to creatures and the cost/weight of ammo. 

I've tested my equipment on the island creatures, and I can easily take down high level theris and rexes with this setup, often before they can even reach me by head shots with the bow. Plus, the bow can one-shot many small creatures, so I can pick off weak targets at range without aggroing a mob. For anything that does reach me, the pike or sword/shield make short work of them.

I'll be using implant grafts for light (thought I may carry night goggles for exploring non-combat areas), so I will only need to carry my equipment, arrows, a spyglass, a stack or two of rare flowers for food, a canteen, med brews, and probably some stimulants. At first, I may take a cheap crossbow and some grapples to see if it's possible to use them in the dungeons/boss room. That should keep my weight down and leave plenty of room to carry loot. And it will minimize losses in the event that I am killed.

I'll also be doing a mindwipe to rebuild my character for optimizations with speed, hp, melee, and weight.

Of course, this is just a preliminary plan of attack. I'm sure that I'll have a better idea of what I'll need to carry/use after I actually start running them. I'm much more concerned about what I'll need to take down bosses than fighting the dungeons. We don't have any idea what to expect with bosses or what strengths/weaknesses they will have. Even for the known PC bosses, there is literally nothing online about fighting them unmounted. 

6 minutes ago, docredduke10 said:

Which implant grafts are you using?

Molten. It's expensive, but I lost my streak for Ultimacy at day 43, so I haven't tried for it again yet. From what I've seen online, Ultimacy is almost too bright anyway. Like the miner's helmet, it's blinding when something is next to you. Molten is a good light level for caving, so I assume it'll be just as good for dungeons.

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/29/2019 at 11:12 AM, docredduke10 said:

My tribe has already begun preparing for the dungeons.  I thought I would throw out there what we are doing and see if anyone had any other ideas.  From what I understand, the dungeons will be very big and take a long time to complete.  Bosses will be introduced and there will be rooms that lock behind you and only unlock once enemies are taken care of.  Players only, no tames, and PvE rules.  Players will also not be able to regenerate health automatically.  The spoils include special Tek engrams, eerie creature implants, and a new creature to tame.  We are on a PvX server, so we only have 6 tribe member slots available, so we may need to work with another tribe depending on how hard the dungeons are.  Here is what we are doing and planning:

• 1. Get best flak armor blue prints from the small ice cave.  So far we have 4 of the 5 pieces with over 1000 armor rating.
  • 2.  Get very good shotgun blue print.  Have one with 476 damage and 4400 durability.  I think I got it from the lava cave artifact tribute.
  • 3. Get very good assault rifle blue print.  Have one with 329 damage and 418 durability.  I think I got it from the yeti cave artifact tribute.
  • 4. Get plenty of riot shields from yeti cave.  We already have a bunch.
  • 5. Make a ton of shotgun shells and advanced rifle bullets.  How many per player?
  • 6. Make a ton of medical brews.  How many per player?
  • 7.  Make some shadow steak saute.  How many?
  • 8.  Possible narcotics and stimulants.
  • 9.  Extra set of light weight armor.

Our plan is to have one of our players up front with a riot shield and sword acting as a tank.  The rest mainly using shotguns, assault rifles, pistols, or longneck rifles.  We have given thought to one of the players maxing out his weight stat and acting as a pack mule of sorts in order to carry a lot of healing supplies.  We have 4 of our 6 tribe members that will be able to contribute in this endeavor, so more than likely we will try to enter cave and work with another tribe to complete.

Possible strategies:

• Remove any arthropleuras first.  They damage armor durability, so removing them before they wipe your armor is important.
  • Divide and conquer?  If dungeons are very big, will it be better to split up and search for boss transport first?
  • Player roles?  Will it benefit the team to have a "tank" or "pack mule"?
  • Maping?  How important will it be to keep a map.  Maps change every week, and you can run once a day for free, so how valuable is keeping a map of the dungeon.  Could you make amber for being a dungeon guide?

Please give your 2 cents or more.  Dungeons are only 2 months away.

I just wrote a very long paragraph and my iPad died and it deleted. Not happy.

15 hours ago, Rocketraptor said:

I have 675 weight and a shoty with897 dm and 2400 dura

Wow that shotgun is best I have seen!

15 hours ago, Rocketraptor said:

Another thing to get is canteens for the stimulant and I have a question wardrum will admins be allowed to use god console because that seems op that an admin arcane just run a dungeon without risk

I forgot those, good idea.

Archived