pve Question for Veteran PVE players.

Wesmanee

What's up guys been playing ark Single player PVE off and on for about 9 months. A month ago I decided I was gonna see it through and complete the Island and ascend so I could carry on and play the whole Saga. I was having trouble finding high level Rex's on the island and I read that you could jump to other maps where higher levels are more common, so I went to the center to find my Rex's. And it got me questioning how I should play the game. So my question is what do you all think would be the better overall PVE ark experience, knocking each map out 1 by 1 starting from scratch each time minus my engrams or bouncing back and forth between all the maps transferring dinos resources etc while beating them? Thanks in advance.

I think cross ark would be so much fun i love the dynamic it adds but I also feel too easy, the boss rexes I'm mutating right now will be so OP when I'm finished I'm afraid it will make the game a cake walk! That's my whole dilemma and why I wanted to know what you veterans thought would be the better experience. I also like the idea of setting up the little rules for bringing over dinos to add a bit of challenge. So far 2 points for cross ark! Thanks for the replies. 

4 minutes ago, Aylana314159 said:

Starting from scratch each time in regards to breeding takes forever.

I like to set myself a quest when i move to the next map.  Tame a version of the creature before bringing over one from previous map. But this is personal preference, and i don't have tons of time to play.

Thats a good idea, I love self-imposed limits and ive been thinking how to have a fresh start experience after being on the same cluster for a year. Ill try this :) 

@Wesmanee All the ARKs do work together as one. If you're worried about keeping the other ARKS fresh when you want to play them - keep this single other ARK as your high level taming map (Center) and make a thing out of it.. Play both while completing your bosses. Use the non-story ARKs (center rag) as your farming maps and do a fresh start (transfer all tames to center after island is done) and set a limit.. say: Cant start taking dinos over to the next play until you make a full base with electricity, for example.

2 minutes ago, Wesmanee said:

I think cross ark would be so much fun i love the dynamic it adds but I also feel too easy, the boss rexes I'm mutating right now will be so OP when I'm finished I'm afraid it will make the game a cake walk! That's my whole dilemma and why I wanted to know what you veterans thought would be the better experience. I also like the idea of setting up the little rules for bringing over dinos to add a bit of challenge. So far 2 points for cross ark! Thanks for the replies. 

Thats very noble and i can appreciate that. In this case ONLY use these rexs for bosses exclusivley. When you transfer dont bring them until you are boss ready

Those are great ideas I think I'm gonna set up all my dinos on ragnorak (heard it was the most beautiful of all the maps) to build my Main base after the island and set the rule that I can only bring one Dino and one shoulder mount from my previous playthrough over to my next excluding boss dinos they go into retirement. The only transfers I can make are to rag not from. But freedom to transfer resources freely. And yes the struggle is what makes games like ark fun it's boring when it's too easy!

I've also just begun wrestling with this issue. So far my conclusion is that cross Ark eliminates far too much gameplay. I love the early game and transferring to a new map with anything at all simply removes gameplay for me.

But my counterpoint to myself is that I'll never have grappling hooks on Aberration or cliff platforms on The Island. I would hate to miss riding my basilisk on the desert sands dressed like Mad Max.

13 minutes ago, Oldster said:

I've also just begun wrestling with this issue. So far my conclusion is that cross Ark eliminates far too much gameplay. I love the early game and transferring to a new map with anything at all simply removes gameplay for me.

But my counterpoint to myself is that I'll never have grappling hooks on Aberration or cliff platforms on The Island. I would hate to miss riding my basilisk on the desert sands dressed like Mad Max.

Yea cross arking totally eliminates any early game survival at all if you bring dinos. I still have a few more weeks on the island to come to a decision. I'm thinking maybe taming and imprinting one dino to come along with me on all my journeys and leaving all other dinos behind. Something not super OP but not completely useless. Maybe a direwolf or raptor. Would be kind of cool to have that one dino that goes with you to every map plus he has utility since you can ride him.

17 minutes ago, Wesmanee said:

Yea cross arking totally eliminates any early game survival at all if you bring dinos. I still have a few more weeks on the island to come to a decision. I'm thinking maybe taming and imprinting one dino to come along with me on all my journeys and leaving all other dinos behind. Something not super OP but not completely useless. Maybe a direwolf or raptor. Would be kind of cool to have that one dino that goes with you to every map plus he has utility since you can ride him.

How's this for a challenge.

The only 2 dinos you can take with you traveling to a new map 

UNICORN (rideable mount) (and no, a regular horse doesn't count)

OTTER (shoulder mount)

So you are stuck on a desert island and can only bring one dino with you....which do you bring? The one that is the most fun of course! For me that is easy I would bring the humble rock drake. it can get you anywhere you need to go....and with style! It can handle all but the most deadly dinos, has a decent weight stat so you can use it for meat runs and resource collection. Really it is just a good all around dino with no major drawbacks and one very sweet advantage.....it's fun. Seriously it is the only dino I take out and fly around with just for the heck of it. best of all unlike most flyers it doesn't turn most the map into flyover country. You can move quick and stay close to the ground which allows me to experience the environment a bit more. A rockdrake as your main mount with  a lightpet and you are ready to build a new outpost on any map.

Personal play style is so variable, that's what makes it so fun even after thousands of hours.

Given the amount of time and effort that goes into breeding for bosses, I also support the crossArk idea.

On SP, I decided to set up on The Island as my main base and use all other maps as outposts, mainly because I've never fully played through the endgame content due to getting bottlenecked on breeding with TI's spawn levels. I haven't really set any rules about transferring though, mainly because I only transfer in one direction so far, funneling resources and animals back to the main map.

One self imposed rule could be that you can tame it from the wild, but you can't transfer an animal over until you can learn its saddle. That's a pretty decent limit on how fast you can advance. Keeping your exp multiplier low or even at default would basically control how fast you progress on each map. Assuming you start fresh each time, kind of a pseudo-hardcore mode.

Archived