Youtube Support for Ark is dying out... (The end times?)

HoboNation

Over the course of one day several of the bigger Ark content creators have announced their absence from Ark until meshing is fixed... With them will go many of their Subscribers, who if even half of them follow their favorite content creators will mean a void of 10's of thousands of players. Are you ready for this Dev team? 

This is what you call a PR nightmare, when you lose the free promotional support of content creators who feel unappreciated, ignored and abused by your game, then you are in some hot water and the fire underneath is just getting warmed up. Mark my words if the Wild card dev team don't take this matter seriously then Ark will soon be nothing more than a memory. I find this sad as I enjoy this game a lot and feel there is a lot of potential here, it's sad to see a game like this suffer such neglect at hands of it's creators.

This opinion of mine is based on first hand experience, A game I played for almost 10 years now Heroes of newerth, it too suffered from an uncaring dev team who made many mistakes and by the time they realized their mistake it was way too late, by the time they started really listening to the players pretty much all big streamers and youtube names who supported the game had left, they never came back, now the game is lucky if there are more than 1000 players online at a time. The dev team for the game have even announced it has gone into maintenance mode as they no longer generate enough income off the game to make new content creation a feasibility. Pretty much no new content will ever be released for the game. I think too many dev teams dont realise how important the opinions of your player base are. It's not too late for Wild card, if they start taking this more seriously then the damage can be prepared. But that point of no return is fast approaching.

Sad thing is that the players who are meshing are kind of shooting themselves in the foot here too, and they probably dont even realize it... people like that often lack any kind of long term thought process. The more people that get meshed, the less people will play this game, eventually there will be no more bases to mesh, no more players to troll and all the meshers will have left is single player or to mesh each other, I doubt meshing your own base will be much fun. It's almost like what happens to an eco system when you have too many predators, they eat all the prey, then guess what... their is no more prey left and what happens??? all the predators die, all of them...

Lets hope the dev team wake up before it's too late. I personally am not at the point that I will stop playing yet, but If enough players leave and server pops start to drop... Ima be outta here.

Edit: Moment you cross that line in the sand of no return and realise there is no stopping the train wreck that is fast approaching you (Wild Card dev team)

I mean they need to fix meshing and lots of other things, I guess for a lot of non pvp players though it's simply a non-issue, and pvp in this game has never really been pvp.  I don't think the mass exodus you describe would really happen, and those content creators will themselves suffer if they do quit or walk out so to speak.

I find a large portion of the Ark related YouTube content is a waste of time. There's some good stuff, but most of it is geared toward entertaining rather than educating - thus a waste from my perspective. I get my Ark entertainment from PLAYING THE GAME. 

Besides, the dual edge of watching the more 'educational' Ark related videos is that you're also 'spoiling' the game somewhat for yourself. Much of the fun of the game is exploring and figuring stuff out for yourself. 

3 minutes ago, DeHammer said:

I find a large portion of the Ark related YouTube content is a waste of time. There's some good stuff, but most of it is geared toward entertaining rather than educating - thus a waste from my perspective. I get my Ark entertainment from PLAYING THE GAME. 

Wow I guess that makes you special?

Is that how sad this generation has become that they threaten to quit because a youtuber quit? 

ARK will be fine. If you quit a game because some random guy who makes videos does.. well that says all that is needed to be said about yourself and I hope you never return. 

What number is this now? Whats our grand total of 'omg ark is dying!!!+' moments people have doomsdayed? 10? 20? I bet its more. ARK will be better off without these types of people any ways

I wanted to add my thoughts on the whole 'mesh issue' and the resulting ban (now overturned?).

On the issue of discussing the 'mesh issue' in YouTube videos... I agree that people should be able to discuss the problem. It's a part of the game, and people should have access to information that lets them make an informed choice about whether to invest in the game or not. However, demonstrating how to do it does 'cross the line'. Then it looks like the YouTuber is actively promoting the 'exploit' in order to cause more issues, hoping it will force the developer's hand. But there's a better way to deal with the situation than banning someone from the game, even if they don't plan to fix the issue. 

I'm hoping that at the very least new map content will be better developed to alleviate the mesh issue. 

Well Like I stated I personaly am not going to be swayed by youtubers leaving. For me the main thing I care about are server populations as interacting with other players is what I enjoy most about ark. 

My post was more of a fair warning, I have seen another game go through a very similiar situation, one that started very much like this, with the developers not listening to the community and allowing their public image in the minds of their consumers to deform into that of an apathetic out of touch company. Even if this perception isnt true it doesnt matter, the moment you dont communicate effectively and go out of your way to show your dedication to improving the game experience, the player base will feel neglected. Once this happens it's a slippery slope.

I hope Ark does not go down that same path as I have really enjoyed my ark experience so far and wish to continue exploring what this game has to offer.

21 hours ago, SaltyMonkey said:

YouTube support is dying out? Good, less clickbait on my feed.

Yep well put. These "content creators" are anything but. Nothing but all hype and bullcrap. Most of them just film themselves attacking enemy bases when the owner is offline and yet their fanboys seem to think they are the best ARK players around. Take that HOD guy for example he has a video claiming that he sunk a Galleon in that Atlas game using a Schooner. I guess the ARK equivalent would be killing a Giga with a high end carno or a crap Rex. But anyways despite the misleading title if you watch the video its actually 8 schooners attacking a single Galleon. ?

As for ARK on Youtube in general, the game itself is dying for a number of reasons but the biggest one is simply age. It will be a 4 year old game soon and yet it is still in the top 10 on steam. That is still an impressive feat.

Archived