Is it a bad idea to bring a giga to a boss?

cyrax76

I'm planing to kill the first boss with my friends. There is only 3 of us, so i decided that we should tame a giga to help us against the boss. Is this a bad idea? I read somewhere that if the giga takes too much damage once it goes into rage and attack us, and i think the boss sure does a lot of damage. Should we use an army of rexes instead?

25 minutes ago, Campi said:

You cannot take a giga into the boss arena - it will remain outside even if placed on the platform for the teleport. Have a look at this for a list of dinos that can go in or not: https://ark.gamepedia.com/Boss_Arenas

Unsure if he meant extinction arena since the boss he mentioned is very vague (boss arena in extinction has no limitation since its done inside the map rather than a seperate section.)

Most bosses can be done with decent bred rexes, not just some random tamed rexes. If the boss you are fighting is in scorched earth, island, center or raganrok then as this quoted person says, you cant even bring a giga inside the arena due to its drag weight over the permitted requirement.

3 hours ago, BlueberryJackal said:

You cant take a Giga to a boss fight outside of Extinction. But if you are planning to do the boss fights on extinction, you should not ride the Giga. I think its rage meter is not increasing, when not ridden. But if you want to take the Giga to the Boss fights, do some breeding first. 

but can you bring a cryoed giga to a boss fight outside of extinction?

6 hours ago, Xenithar said:

You can breed rexes to be as powerful as gigas. Actually, mine are currently doing over 2k damage per bite (3,212.6% dam) and have over 68k HP. Gigas are mainly a thing to show off to other tribes, in my opinion. My rexes regularly eat gigas and titanosaurs.

And if you breed gigas similar way they will do much more damage than those Rexes. :)

15 hours ago, Luewen said:

And if you breed gigas similar way they will do much more damage than those Rexes. :)

True, but rexes can hide in normal sized trees. They can turn much sharper. They are way more powerful in packs and easier to manage in packs than gigas. Go ahead and breed a super-giga. I have taken them down before. Moving eight rexes is cake. Moving eight gigas is not. Oh, and stats scale much better on a rex than on a giga, so it would take more mutations on a giga to get the same percentage of increase. Think about how many hundreds of mutations it would take just to get their health up to 80k like a level 1 wild giga! Then there's damage. Wild level 1 gigas do 1200 per bite and tamed ones only do 480. You'd need almost 300% just to be on par with a level 1 wild giga there!

Did I mention I did this once? Never again. Takes WAY too long and isn't worth it in the end since you only wind up with a level 400 giga that is simply on par with a wild one, so no, you would not breed gigas in any similar way as it would take two or three times longer and even then only wind up with the stats of a wild giga. I just said I was taking down 150's in the wild, so you're going to spend a year plus breeding them only to have one steamrolled because it has wild level 150 stats? Nope, not me!

8 hours ago, Xenithar said:

True, but rexes can hide in normal sized trees. They can turn much sharper. They are way more powerful in packs and easier to manage in packs than gigas. Go ahead and breed a super-giga. I have taken them down before. Moving eight rexes is cake. Moving eight gigas is not. Oh, and stats scale much better on a rex than on a giga, so it would take more mutations on a giga to get the same percentage of increase. Think about how many hundreds of mutations it would take just to get their health up to 80k like a level 1 wild giga! Then there's damage. Wild level 1 gigas do 1200 per bite and tamed ones only do 480. You'd need almost 300% just to be on par with a level 1 wild giga there!

Did I mention I did this once? Never again. Takes WAY too long and isn't worth it in the end since you only wind up with a level 400 giga that is simply on par with a wild one, so no, you would not breed gigas in any similar way as it would take two or three times longer and even then only wind up with the stats of a wild giga. I just said I was taking down 150's in the wild, so you're going to spend a year plus breeding them only to have one steamrolled because it has wild level 150 stats? Nope, not me!

The thing is that you don’t level up the hp of gigas. It’s waste of time and points. Giga with 445 melee already does more damage than Rex with 3200 melee. And good luck getting to 3200 melee Rex on officials. 

You don't know the math. 3,212.6% is over 2,000 damage per bite, so please explain how 445 damage is more? Let's show some math!

Base rex damage is 62 per bite. Base giga damage is 480 per bite. A rex with 3,212.6% is 62 x 32.126 which comes out to 1,991.82 damage per bite. More than a wild or tamed giga and almost as much as TWO titanosaurs. Now assume you got a decent giga. 150, tamed to 224, and 250% melee off the bat. That is 1,200 damager per bite. The thing is, you might get to around 350% once done. That means roughly 1,680 damage per bite. The thing is, the best tamed gigas, assuming they point 50~60 levels into health, would only be at around 18,000hp. Far less then 68,000. So breed a giga so it does have 3k damage per bite. With imprinting bonus and what-not you will likely have a hair less than 40k hp. I got gigas around 38k once. Still, far less than 68k.

As for the comment on official, it is VERY clear that you know nothing about cleaning tames so you can jack up stats. 3,212.6% damage is cake. Clean oxygen, weight, stamina, and food by using a low level (5 if the max is 150 or 4 if it is 120) and suddenly you have no points anywhere but health and damage. You mutate only into health and damage, continually mating with the cleaner. To attain my 3,212.6% damage you need 182 levels in damage, plus the 73 you can put into it. That comes out to 255. That leaves 195 levels you can get health to by mutations. 195 in health plus 182 in damage plus 73 levels the player adds to damage and holy crap, we have a monster rex on official which will NOT get wiped because it caps at 450 AND all levels are under 255. Got anything else to rebuke?

If you're wondering, I have levelled health to something like 254 or 255 using mutations, damage to 182 plus the ones I put in, somewhere around 100 levels in stamina, and around 40 in weight. I forget what is in food. Why? Because unofficial does not wipe dinos above 450. Why? Because some servers use difficulty 10, which is level 300 dinos. Perfect-tame one and it is level 349. Starting to get the picture? Officials, unless I am mistaken, are ALL capped at difficulty 5, meaning level 150 max, and 224 when perfect-tamed.

1 hour ago, Xenithar said:

You don't know the math. 3,212.6% is over 2,000 damage per bite, so please explain how 445 damage is more? Let's show some math!

Base rex damage is 62 per bite. Base giga damage is 480 per bite. A rex with 3,212.6% is 62 x 32.126 which comes out to 1,991.82 damage per bite. More than a wild or tamed giga and almost as much as TWO titanosaurs. Now assume you got a decent giga. 150, tamed to 224, and 250% melee off the bat. That is 1,200 damager per bite. The thing is, you might get to around 350% once done. That means roughly 1,680 damage per bite. The thing is, the best tamed gigas, assuming they point 50~60 levels into health, would only be at around 18,000hp. Far less then 68,000. So breed a giga so it does have 3k damage per bite. With imprinting bonus and what-not you will likely have a hair less than 40k hp. I got gigas around 38k once. Still, far less than 68k.

As for the comment on official, it is VERY clear that you know nothing about cleaning tames so you can jack up stats. 3,212.6% damage is cake. Clean oxygen, weight, stamina, and food by using a low level (5 if the max is 150 or 4 if it is 120) and suddenly you have no points anywhere but health and damage. You mutate only into health and damage, continually mating with the cleaner. To attain my 3,212.6% damage you need 182 levels in damage, plus the 73 you can put into it. That comes out to 255. That leaves 195 levels you can get health to by mutations. 195 in health plus 182 in damage plus 73 levels the player adds to damage and holy crap, we have a monster rex on official which will NOT get wiped because it caps at 450 AND all levels are under 255. Got anything else to rebuke?

If you're wondering, I have levelled health to something like 254 or 255 using mutations, damage to 182 plus the ones I put in, somewhere around 100 levels in stamina, and around 40 in weight. I forget what is in food. Why? Because unofficial does not wipe dinos above 450. Why? Because some servers use difficulty 10, which is level 300 dinos. Perfect-tame one and it is level 349. Starting to get the picture? Officials, unless I am mistaken, are ALL capped at difficulty 5, meaning level 150 max, and 224 when perfect-tamed.

Theyre talking about base 455 melee gigas which can be easily leveled to 800% melee. Which only requires 18 mutations onto melee.

23 hours ago, Xenithar said:

Oh yes I know about clean stats Dino breeding. But gigas on official are already more than 500 base melee and already doing more damage per bite than 3200 melee rexes.

And now get Giga with 182 levels on damage and we are miles above Rex 3200% melee damage per bite. You only need 420 melee Giga to do more damage than 3200 Rex. And less mutas needed to get there.

Gigas do 480 per bite when tamed, period. Official or unofficial does not matter. Base damage is the same. They would literally need to write code to determine if the server is official or not and if so, change the internal blueprint for the giga. You are dead wrong here. Let's do your math.

480 x 4.20 = 2016, barely more than the rexes. Now the part of the equation you seem to keep forgetting, health. Let's assume you have a god-mode 40k giga. You run across three of my rexes. My rexes do right at 6k damage per bite, which would take six or seven hits to down your 40k hp giga. On the reverse side, you do a hair over 2k damage per hit to ALL my rexes. However, that would take about 34 hits to down one (or all) of them. In other words, the rexes still win, unless officials also have turbo-bite mode where they attack ten times per second. In which case I need to enable this on our cluster.

Look, it's clear you do not know even the pure basics of the stats with statements about base damage of tamed gigas being 445 or over 500. With that much of a lack of knowledge nothing can show you the truth. This is why the younger generations need better math classes. Here is all the proof you need to understand the 480 base damage. In case you don't understand this, it means that a tamed giga, with 100% melee, will do 480 damage to an unsaddled dino. Try it in single player and see.

Tamed giga base damage discussion on Reddit

Another Reddit discussion

Info right here on these forums

Steam Community discussion which mentions the base damage

If you want hundreds more threads, all mentioning the base stat of 480 (fun fact: it was nerfed to 600 initially, then to something like 500, and finally to 480), then please learn to use Google. You may also test this VERY BASIC stat by spawning and taming a giga in single player, turning on damage text, and biting dinos without saddles while leaving the giga at 100% melee. You'll see a LOT of 480 text...

22 hours ago, Xenithar said:

Gigas do 480 per bite when tamed, period. Official or unofficial does not matter. Base damage is the same. They would literally need to write code to determine if the server is official or not and if so, change the internal blueprint for the giga. You are dead wrong here. Let's do your math.

480 x 4.20 = 2016, barely more than the rexes. Now the part of the equation you seem to keep forgetting, health. Let's assume you have a god-mode 40k giga. You run across three of my rexes. My rexes do right at 6k damage per bite, which would take six or seven hits to down your 40k hp giga. On the reverse side, you do a hair over 2k damage per hit to ALL my rexes. However, that would take about 34 hits to down one (or all) of them. In other words, the rexes still win, unless officials also have turbo-bite mode where they attack ten times per second. In which case I need to enable this on our cluster.

Look, it's clear you do not know even the pure basics of the stats with statements about base damage of tamed gigas being 445 or over 500. With that much of a lack of knowledge nothing can show you the truth. This is why the younger generations need better math classes. Here is all the proof you need to understand the 480 base damage. In case you don't understand this, it means that a tamed giga, with 100% melee, will do 480 damage to an unsaddled dino. Try it in single player and see.

Tamed giga base damage discussion on Reddit

Another Reddit discussion

Info right here on these forums

Steam Community discussion which mentions the base damage

If you want hundreds more threads, all mentioning the base stat of 480 (fun fact: it was nerfed to 600 initially, then to something like 500, and finally to 480), then please learn to use Google. You may also test this VERY BASIC stat by spawning and taming a giga in single player, turning on damage text, and biting dinos without saddles while leaving the giga at 100% melee. You'll see a LOT of 480 text...

I have no idea what are you trying to argue here. Gigas do 480 damage per bite at 100% melee. And i have never said anything else.

With less mutations gigas do more damage than rexes. In the end same amount of melee mutations, gigas do way more damage.

And with 6k per bite you need over 9000 on melee for rexes. So good luck on officials to get there.

You do NOT need over 9000. What is this, DBZ? Dude, do the math. A rex has 62 base damage, correct? Check the wiki. It is 62. At 3,212.6% damage, you multiply 62 by 32.126 (to convert a percentage to a real number, move the decimal two places to the left) and that comes out to 1991.812. How the heck are you getting 9000? Your math skills are your problem. If you are saying 9000% damage, let's do that. 62 multiplied by 90.00 is 5,580. To get what you'd need, you can divide 6,000 by 62 which comes out to 96.77 and that, converted back to a percentage, would be 9,677.4%.

Did you not read my post? I am assuming you missed the important part where I stated that you could take a theoretical giga and come across three of my rexes which would be a combined total of about 6k damage. I never said I had a single dino with THAT type of damage. You're skimming the posts and looking bad when responding.

On 3/29/2019 at 8:38 PM, Luewen said:

Oh yes I know about clean stats Dino breeding. But gigas on official are already more than 500 base melee and already doing more damage per bite than 3200 melee rexes.

And now get Giga with 182 levels on damage and we are miles above Rex 3200% melee damage per bite. You only need 420 melee Giga to do more damage than 3200 Rex. And less mutas needed to get there.

So if you "know" gigas are 480 base, how come you're claiming in your literal previous post that they are over 500 base melee. Dude, you need to stop. You're beginning to look ignorant. You're also only taking into account (once again) damage. the dinos I reference have nearly DOUBLE the health of a well bred giga. To be on par with a single one of these rexes you would need a giga with 68.6k health. Then, and ONLY THEN, would a giga with 2k damage be able to hold a candle to a single one of these rexes. It's common sense. If it takes me half as many hits to kill you, I win. You have 38k and do 2k damage. I have 68k and do 2k damage. Who wins?

Reading comprehension is really your thing i see. I have never said that giga base damage at 100% is 500 or anything else than 480. I have discussed about giga damage per bite at 500% base on birth or 420 base.

DILO are you on. To get 6k damage per bite on rex you need 9677% melee like you just said. And if that is not over 9000 i dont know what to tell anymore. And that is 598 points on melee stat plus domesticated levels. And 182 points and 73 dom points comes up as 3163.8% not 3212.6%.

Max melee you can get rex on officials are 4285.1%. And thats 254 points on melee + 73 domesticated lvls +100% imprint. And thats 2656.7 damage per bite. And that leaves the rex at 33.5k hp. And giga with 1000% melee munches that rex on 7 bites. And you only need 98 points melee + dome levels on giga to reach that. And if get a giga with 254 points on melee like the rex. It will munch that rex in 3 bites with more than 12k damage per bite. So yeah, there goes that.

So my point stands. Giga with same amount of points invested in melee than rex will do much more damage.

So seems its your maths that need some checking.

• 11 months later...

I found this post interesting. Gigas are better than rexes. The current hatch stats of a giga on official is 615. I currently have a giga with over 1000 melee after being leveled. That’s over 4,800 damage per bite. The rex your speaking of is only doing 1900 damage per bit like you said. Even if you fought a weaker giga, you’d still lose because the gigas bite range is much further than a rexes so if a person riding the giga backed up while biting, you wouldn’t be able to get a bite on it anyway.

Archived