Oviraptor

CMitch24

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, Martyn said:

Nope.  Dodo is a preferred egg.  Carno, Bronto.. are not.

Goto Crumplecorns calc and see for yourself.

http://ark.crumplecorn.com/taming/

well im sorry for doubting you! i guess i rely too much on wiki and never second guess it. My apologies and thanks for steering me in the right direction

First off, Dodo eggs is almost like feeding a kibble tameable creature a kibble it does not prefer when it comes to taming an Oviraptor.

My tribe tamed Rexes, as they're not too hard to tame, you just need Scorpions. Then we gathered those eggs and tamed Oviraptors with them.

The Wiki is correct, the heavier the egg, the more the Oviraptor prefers it. Dodo, Kairuku, and Compy eggs are it's least favored eggs. Giga eggs are it's most preferred with Quetzal and Rex right behind it. I do not know where you're receiving your info from, but Dodo eggs are awful at taming Oviraptors. It takes a bunch of Dodo eggs which could be put to better use in taming Pteranodons or Ichthyosaurs, and it also takes hours.

EDIT: Also, do not skip Parasaurs, best to not skip anything on the way up. The kibble will be mighty helpful once you start to aim for high leveled tames. Taming a 100 raptor on raw meat takes 2 hours when taming it, with kibble it takes a mere 23 minutes. Plus, Parasaurs are quite the effective caravan mounts. They are faster than Trikes and Stegos, and can actually carry a good amount of items.

Just now, Martyn said:

This is absolute rubbish.  Feeding an oviraptor dodo eggs is almost the same amount of time as feeding it with rex eggs.  And it actually takes longer to tame it using carno or bronto eggs which are heavier than dodo.  So there's no doubt that your info is plain wrong.

Not at all. My question is this-- are you playing on a solo/dedicated with modified taming speed and food drain? If that's the case, then it's very possible that taming an Oviraptor with dodo eggs would be faster than with Rex.

Official servers on the other hand, a level 10 Oviraptor can take well over a 100 dodo eggs and hours just to tame. Whereas using Rex eggs would only take 14 eggs and 46 minutes. It is shorter using Carno and Bronto eggs, but not substantially shorter like it is with Rex/Quetzal/Giga eggs.

5 minutes ago, Martyn said:

Clearly a 120 Ovi takes 667 Dodo eggs and tames in 3 hrs 42 mins.  Or 200 Carno "heavier eggs" and tames in 7 hours and 38 mins.  I know which I'll be doing.  Enjoy collecting your carno eggs.

I recommend you read the Wiki page again.

" The Oviraptor will eat the first egg in its inventory unless there's a Giganotosaurus, Quetzal, Bronto, Spino, Rex or Carno egg." That means that those eggs are preferred over any of the other eggs. Preferred food will take shorter time to tame than food that it does not prefer.

Just now, Martyn said:

Forget mammoths, tame a beaver.  Using mejo.  They can hold wood at 100/10 weight unlike mammoth that holds it at 100/50 weight.  They swim fast, attack fast and don't live in a place where you freeze to death.

totally forgot those are supposed to be added today to xbox!!! i love the way they look. cant wait.

I'd ignore the argument. Doesn't matter. You can always get dozens of dodo eggs per day. And the taming time isn't that much longer than say a Rex. I have like 150 Rex eggs now but it takes 108 to tame a 120 quetz so I'll save those. On the other hand I have like 250 dodo eggs and it only takes like 27 to tame a 120 pteranodon. And a small amount as well for icthy. 

Rex takes a lot less and saves a little time, but are far more valuable. Besides it sounds like the OP doesn't have any rexes. 

31 minutes ago, CMitch24 said:

why so many ovis? does the effect stack?

Thanks everyone for trying to help me figure this out

I'll explain basics and such of Oviraptors to you.

1: Taming it is easy. Aim for a lower leveled one unless you're in PvP. They don't serve much of a purpose outside of egg production, so level doesn't matter unless in PvP (Where you'd want an Oviraptor with plentiful health in the case of a raid, many tribes like to take out Oviraptors because they mean more eggs which in turn means more tames at higher levels) I suggest using high tier eggs. Once you get the Oviraptor you will easily get the eggs used back. Dodo eggs may come in bulk, but you'll be using a bunch of them, you'll get the high tier eggs back quicker than the Dodo eggs, as each dino only lays 6 eggs each time you leave/re-enter it's radius. (Is explained in depth somewhere else, I currently do not have the link unfortunately)

2: I suggest taming 4 Oviraptors. That's all you need. 1 for your birds (Argies, Quetzals, Pteranodons), 1 for your meat eaters, 1 for your herbivores, and 1 for Dimetrodons/Sarcos. (Dimetrodons lay eggs normally in water, unlike other creatures, and angling a sarco just right in water will make it's eggs roll down far enough for you to see them.) Also, do note that Pulmonoscorpius do NOT receive the boost.

3: There's two ways you can get the Oviraptor effect to work efficiently. Lock the Oviraptor up in a small pen and set it to wander, or encumber it and set it to wander. Many do the latter as it is easier and cheaper to do. Setting it to wander without any of these is a bad idea, it spreads the boost around randomly and you'll more than likely experience a decrease in egg laying. Make sure to level them up in Health. Everything else is too pointless to level it up in.

• Volunteer Moderator

@CMitch24  For your starter egg farm, find the lowest level Ovi you can.  I would target between lvl 1 and lvl 20.

With most of the following, I am relying on crumplecorns taming calculator, which has not steered me wrong; but as with any source material, take it with a grain of salt and learn from your own experience.  Also, I have not tamed an Ovi with dodo eggs myself(I had plenty of Giga eggs in reserve), but below is how I would do it.

First, as has been suggested, tame a ton of dodos, again lower levels are just fine; they are egg layers and not guards(though I have had dodos kill a raptor once, but that is another story).  Organize them so that you can get behind them easily or put them on ramps so that the eggs roll down to the ground.  Sometimes, to move a dodo into the right position, you need to punch it(yeah, it is sad mechanic of the game); just be careful not to kill or knock out the really low level ones.

Now, collect a little over 200 eggs; you want a few in reserve in case of spoilage.  That will allow you to tame up to a level 20 Ovi in about 1 hour.  You will get 0 TE, but that is okay.  You will also need about 30 narcotics(probably less, but it pays to be prepared).

If you have a bird, find a low level Ovi, grab it, drop it anywhere that is walled off, then tranq(or club) and tame.  If you do not, take thatch walls, door, and doorway with you, find a low level, tranq, wall it off, and tame it.  Because of he number of eggs you will need, you will need a mount to carry them for you. 

The Ovi will eat the Dodo eggs quicker, eating a dodo egg every 50 points of food drop.

After that, watch the topor, and give narcotics when it gets low; each narcotic is worth 40 topor.

Crumplecorn says just under 1 hour and 7 minutes to tame a level 20.  However, if you have it walled off, and if the time goes longer, you will be prepared for a longer tame, just in case.

(I just checked another taming calc, and they come up with the same number of eggs and time on a level 20).  Again, a level 4 or 8 will require less eggs, narcs, and time.

Good luck.

7 minutes ago, Jerryn said:

@CMitch24  For your starter egg farm, find the lowest level Ovi you can.  I would target between lvl 1 and lvl 20.

With most of the following, I am relying on crumplecorns taming calculator, which has not steered me wrong; but as with any source material, take it with a grain of salt and learn from your own experience.  Also, I have not tamed an Ovi with dodo eggs myself(I had plenty of Giga eggs in reserve), but below is how I would do it.

First, as has been suggested, tame a ton of dodos, again lower levels are just fine; they are egg layers and not guards(though I have had dodos kill a raptor once, but that is another story).  Organize them so that you can get behind them easily or put them on ramps so that the eggs roll down to the ground.  Sometimes, to move a dodo into the right position, you need to punch it(yeah, it is sad mechanic of the game); just be careful not to kill or knock out the really low level ones.

Now, collect a little over 200 eggs; you want a few in reserve in case of spoilage.  That will allow you to tame up to a level 20 Ovi in about 1 hour.  You will get 0 TE, but that is okay.  You will also need about 30 narcotics(probably less, but it pays to be prepared).

If you have a bird, find a low level Ovi, grab it, drop it anywhere that is walled off, then tranq(or club) and tame.  If you do not, take thatch walls, door, and doorway with you, find a low level, tranq, wall it off, and tame it.  Because of he number of eggs you will need, you will need a mount to carry them for you. 

The Ovi will eat the Dodo eggs quicker, eating a dodo egg every 50 points of food drop.

After that, watch the topor, and give narcotics when it gets low; each narcotic is worth 40 topor.

Crumplecorn says just under 1 hour and 7 minutes to tame a level 20.  However, if you have it walled off, and if the time goes longer, you will be prepared for a longer tame, just in case.

(I just checked another taming calc, and they come up with the same number of eggs and time on a level 20).  Again, a level 4 or 8 will require less eggs, narcs, and time.

Good luck.

Thank you very much. I leave work in 30 minutes and ill be trying to really focus on this and get it out of the way. because at the rate im going ill be wiped from server before i have any good dinos to protect me. I need to climb tame ladder and get some decent ones.

• Volunteer Moderator

The number of Ovis you need will be based on the number of dinos you have, where they are located, and the layout of your base.  At my base, I have 11(plus a few extra) to get full coverage.  The Ovi boost is about 9 squares distance horizontally, and there is also a vertical limit(not sure if it is 9 or not), but I have 3 in my main building to cover most of the floors and the egg tower.

Also, based on both calculators, unless you have Quetzal, Rex, or Spino eggs, the next fastest time is Dodo egg(or other eggs).

• Volunteer Moderator
6 minutes ago, CMitch24 said:

Update: I got a ovi! After searching for a bit I found a lvl 16. Used almost all the eggs I had saved to tame it. But I can already see a difference in egg laying 

Congrats!

Nice thing with dodos, it usually does not take them long to make you more eggs, so it sounds like an investment well spent.

Tame low level ovis with dodo eggs.  You don't need a high level ovi, it's basically a novelty.  Ovis improve your egg laying abilities, and I'm pretty sure this is not level dependent.   Best use of an ovi is to weigh him down with rocks so he can't move, set him to wander near your dinos so they lay more eggs.  For about anything else, they are fairly worthless.

• Volunteer Moderator
4 minutes ago, D4u2s0t said:

Tame low level ovis with dodo eggs.  You don't need a high level ovi, it's basically a novelty.  Ovis improve your egg laying abilities, and I'm pretty sure this is not level dependent.   Best use of an ovi is to weigh him down with rocks so he can't move, set him to wander near your dinos so they lay more eggs.  For about anything else, they are fairly worthless.

They can be useful for stealing boa eggs, as you can stay safely on your bird, scope the egg, and whistle attack my target on the egg, and it will grab the egg.  Scoop up the Ovi, land, take the egg, rinse and repeat.

Also useful for stealing eggs from more dangerous animals.

Archived