True Classics Mode

ForzaProiettile

I read the announcement today of the introduction of a "Classic" ARK mode which was meant to return the game to the feel that it when it first came out in 2015. Unfortunately looking through the notes of it, the details seem pretty vague at this point and in particular there was no mention of the removal of flyers which weren't really a thing back when the game launched in 2015.

So anyways I propose a different mode I'll call it "Classic Warfare".

Features:

• Map: The Island
  • No flyers
  • Largest tameable carnivore: Carno
  • Largest tameable herbivore: Stego
  • Removal of all hit scan weapons (pistols, rifles, shotguns)
  • New variants of bow and Xbow added instead
  • New variants of melee weapons added with strengths/weaknesses
  • New siege weapons added
  • Bolas trap time reduced to 2 seconds
  • No Tek Tier
  • Caves can't be built in
  • Mountains can't be built on
  • Player Movement speed locked at 100%
  • Raptor pounce reduced to 2 seconds
  • Turrets do higher damage to players/Armor effectiveness vs turrets reduced

Possible other settings:

• Max player level: 30
  • Max dino level: 30
  • Maybe some stats like health, damage, weight are broken down into more specific things to add variety.

6 minutes ago, ForzaProiettile said:

I read the announcement today of the introduction of a "Classic" ARK mode which was meant to return the game to the feel that it when it first came out in 2015. Unfortunately looking through the notes of it, the details seem pretty vague at this point and in particular there was no mention of the removal of flyers which weren't really a thing back when the game launched in 2015.

Features:

• No flyers
  • No Tek Tier

Possible other settings:

• Maybe some stats like health, damage, weight are broken down into more specific things to add variety.

Back in 2015 Flyers were a thing. They were always there. On June 12 2015 I was grabbed by tamed arge and dropped to death.

Back in 2015, there was no bola, raptors didn't know how to pounce.

26 minutes ago, WaightZer said:

Back in 2015 Flyers were a thing. They were always there. On June 12 2015 I was grabbed by tamed arge and dropped to death.

Back in 2015, there was no bola, raptors didn't know how to pounce.

Flyers were weak because the max dino level was 30. You didn't need to shoot 30 shots into it and then see it fly away. Anyways the aim of the mode I proposed to create a fresh experienced that is more focused on teamwork, skill and strategy. Flyers have dumbed down the game, this new mode would change that. Terrain would now actually be a factor and by limiting the dinos to small/medium ones it creates variety.

56 minutes ago, Oldster said:

Wouldn't a low level cap obviate the Kibble mechanic? 

Meaning taming a level 30 Theri with kibble versus veggies grants 1 extra level. Taming a level 150 Theri with kibble verus veggies grants 16 extra levels.

Did my own research for a change. 

Reducing level cap to 30 renders the difference between kibble and preferred food (mutton veggies etc) almost entirely irrelevant.

For a Theri you get 1 more level using Kibble

For a Rex you get 1.

For a Ptera you get no extra level.

For an Anky you get 2 extra levels.

2 hours ago, ForzaProiettile said:

Flyers were weak because the max dino level was 30. You didn't need to shoot 30 shots into it and then see it fly away. Anyways the aim of the mode I proposed to create a fresh experienced that is more focused on teamwork, skill and strategy. Flyers have dumbed down the game, this new mode would change that. Terrain would now actually be a factor and by limiting the dinos to small/medium ones it creates variety.

It was never 30. Original maximum dino level was 120 on the OG settings. Before they increased the global difficulty modifier to 5 which caused it to be 150.

6 minutes ago, Orion said:

Maybe during the Beta days and stuff, because when it released for Xbox and Steam in Early Access it was 120.

No it wasnt lol. 

I played since Xbox Release. It was 60 for a month or so on Xbox then raised to 120. After the center was released for over a month did they bump to 150. The center was the only way to get 150 dinos prior to 150 bump

it had a delayed console release this i do know and if i remember right we where a few patches ahead until a few months after it got a full console release .. but i could be totally wrong - im a PC player bought it back in EA along with the season pass so never looked at the console and tbh i never would ark is not a game i could do on the console - in fact i hardly play on the PS3 we have anyway so meh 

On topic though no thanks that low lvl again would not work for any end game content - full breeding wasnt a thing back then either afair ... again it was a long time ago and my memory is crap :)

I like the dino level cap idea, they could also remove breeding...

The old pvp days were characterized by the lower rates tho (0.5 of what we have now) and key resources being harder to get. Pearls were only obtainable in the deep sea, paste had to be crafted and there was no organic poly for example. Griefing was just a lot less common due to that. Not sure if that is better than the higher rates they introduce now, but everybody seems to forget this fact. 

Tbh I believe they should add the cryo station and cryopods craftable at level 100 this will reduce server lag and maintain stability on the new mode and craftable on any map, although its an Extinction based engram! 

Also allow Quetz but no hatchframes can be built on it and make it so only a small amount of structures can be placed on it. 

1 hour ago, DeadStatix said:

Tbh I believe they should add the cryo station and cryopods craftable at level 100 this will reduce server lag and maintain stability on the new mode and craftable on any map, although its an Extinction based engram! 

Also allow Quetz but no hatchframes can be built on it and make it so only a small amount of structures can be placed on it. 

I have had the same thought about cryopods. I will miss them for sure, but i think it is good to leave them out for now. And it is not like the amount of creatures causes a lot of server lag on pvp.

Putting the quetz back in with platform saddle is a big game changer, i would prefer to try it without them first. What would you need them for other than easily attacking an elevated base?

8 hours ago, DomiDarko said:

If this includes the very first version of the map (without snow, swamp, redwoods) I'm totally into it! But I can't remember that you couldn't tame Rexes?! o.O I also hope that this only includes the original creatures, so no Microraptor, Ichthyornis, Pegomastax, etc. :D

You could tame Rexes in the original version. True Classics was my suggestion for a more competitive version that did away with the normal dino hierarchies and encouraged greater variety in dino usage as well as shaking up player weapons.

Things/mechanics not in a classic version of Ark

• Fab snipers
  • industrial forge
  • chem bench
  • compound bows
  • grapple hooks
  • bola's
  • Breeding

The list can go on but i am pretty sure if they made a true classic mode no one would play because who wants to play with out a chem bench and industrial forge? i guess solo/duo players might. 

I see nothing wrong with what they are doing but it is just not classic that is all.

On 3/26/2019 at 7:51 AM, ForzaProiettile said:

Features:

• No flyers
  • No Tek Tier

Possible other settings:

Honestly, after being jaded because I am on conquest and losing my server to this, I am of the opinion WC/SG just needs to stop with these specialty servers if they are just going to delete them later on. WC should just take the game they have right now on official servers and work on bugs, performance, exploits, and perfecting projectile/server accuracy.

Leave the specialty servers to unofficial imo...

but then again maybe im just jaded and if so ignore me.....

8 minutes ago, johnm81 said:

Honestly, after being jaded because I am on conquest and losing my server to this, I am of the opinion WC/SG just needs to stop with these specialty servers if they are just going to delete them later on. WC should just take the game they have right now on official servers and work on bugs, performance, exploits, and perfecting projectile/server accuracy.

Leave the specialty servers to unofficial imo...

but then again maybe im just jaded and if so ignore me.....

You have a valid opinion on that, where you see a waste of time others like the fresh starts. Matter of opinion I guess. 

I think this Classic server idea would be a good start to test a true pvp mode different from PVE, like the one we discussed in another thread @ForzaProiettile

2 hours ago, Kaprosuchus said:

all of those settings are easy to do. you guys could whip a server together in an hour or two exactly like that.  Also i don't really understand how people get attatched to their things in this game when the game part of the game is acquiring and struggling for said things.

But the game part is also maintaining, feeding, birthing and building. Its natural for people to get attached

Archived