Natehawk

14 minutes ago, TheDonn said:

I really would like to know how this actually works.  How is this guy distinguishing between a meshed player and a non-meshed player in the code of the Parasaur?  I get that it works but howwww????  It's a cool mod for sure, KOs em and ganks their inventory.

Yeah the mod cannot be found on the workshop. I guess they never finished it or it had major problems that would affect normal game play.

• Replies 467
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 hours ago, ArkP1 said:

Gotta admit WC let meshing go unaddressed and relatively unmentioned for a long time. Even if this guy did it for his own personal gain, it was something a lot of players have been hoping for and there’s no arguing that WC took notice. 

I think the lesson of the day is WC realizing they should do a better job communicating with the community and show they are actually working on solutions.  Otherwise, some self-righteous Youtuber is going to take matters into their own hands and force their hand.

?

2 hours ago, SaltyMonkey said:

Meshing has been addressed in the past with an announcement from the lead developer in diary log. I’ll dig it out, it’s somewhere in the announcements.

There may not have been any further announcements but they have been working on fixes which can be seen as “fixed hole” in the patch notes.

“should do a BETTER job”

Thanks again for contributing NOTHING, but kudos for making it through an entire post without bragging about how privileged you are. I’m sure it was difficult.

4 minutes ago, ArkP1 said:

?

“should do a BETTER job”

Thanks again for contributing NOTHING, but kudos for making it through an entire post without bragging about how privileged you are. I’m sure it was difficult.

I provided you the evidence but because it goes against your agenda you claim I haven’t contributed. By the way I felt very privileged passing on this information to you!

57 minutes ago, ArkP1 said:

?

“should do a BETTER job”

Are you going to go off about how thers 72 different genders too?! Jesus christ man you are sensitive.

1 hour ago, SaltyMonkey said:

I provided you the evidence but because it goes against your agenda you claim I haven’t contributed. By the way I felt very privileged passing on this information to you!

You repeated something you already posted in a context that ignored what I said. In other words, you contributed NOTHING new. It doesn’t go against my “agenda” because it is NOT evidence that they were trying to do better. In fact, it proves my point they have not been addressing it more directly especially given your comment about having to “dig” it up.

6 minutes ago, ArkP1 said:

You repeated something you already posted in a context that ignored what I said. In other words, uou contributed NOTHING new. It doesn’t go against my “agenda” because it is NOT evidence that they were trying to do a better. In fact, it proves my point they have not been addressing it more directly especially given your comment about having to “dig” it up.

Almost every patch “fixes holes” but you’re saying they need to communicate this more. How so? Do we need them to state that they are aware of this issue over and over even though they are actively fixing holes? I’ll keep repeating this to you because you clearly can’t comprehend the evidence bestowed upon you because it goes against your agenda.

1 hour ago, ArkP1 said:

?

“should do a BETTER job”

I am outside your discussion with @SaltyMonkey, but from what I see, adding that community crunch with quite a verbose response from Chris himself was a fairly good contribution.  Chris speaks at length about volume complexity and killzone limitations in modern games, and as I said earlier, I cut WildCard less slack than I probably should on most things...  But the scope of what they are trying to provide is pretty massive.

No one forces people's hands to cheat at the damn game, but due to the nature of competition it happens.  When you cheat or dupe or mesh, even if you are making a video with the aim of shedding light on a topic but especially if you are doing it maliciously, it has to cross your mind that you might face repercussions.  Luckily in this case for HOD, WildCard reviewed the judgment after an appeal (they didn't outright say an appeal was made but the post seemed to indicate this) and decided to reverse the decision.

It is true that they SHOULD be more clear in communication about what they are trying to do about the meshing problem...  But other than straight-up mesh-holes, there are far too many ways for people to mesh themselves.  I watched "the video" and was totally blown away that people had, instead of playing the game, spent the time trying crap to get themselves meshed so they could cheat, because you aren't gonna tell me that these methods arose by pure happenstance!  I just can't believe that.

WildCard has a responsibility to provide support and fix problems if they want to maintain a clean and competitive environment.  But at SOME POINT, blame/responsibility falls to the damn cheaters too, getting as creative as possible to be unraidable and circumvent game design.

13 minutes ago, TheDonn said:

I am outside your discussion with @SaltyMonkey, but from what I see, adding that community crunch with quite a verbose response from Chris himself was a fairly good contribution.  Chris speaks at length about volume complexity and killzone limitations in modern games, and as I said earlier, I cut WildCard less slack than I probably should on most things...  But the scope of what they are trying to provide is pretty massive.

No one forces people's hands to cheat at the damn game, but due to the nature of competition it happens.  When you cheat or dupe or mesh, even if you are making a video with the aim of shedding light on a topic but especially if you are doing it maliciously, it has to cross your mind that you might face repercussions.  Luckily in this case for HOD, WildCard reviewed the judgment after an appeal (they didn't outright say an appeal was made but the post seemed to indicate this) and decided to reverse the decision.

It is true that they SHOULD be more clear in communication about what they are trying to do about the meshing problem...  But other than straight-up mesh-holes, there are far too many ways for people to mesh themselves.  I watched "the video" and was totally blown away that people had, instead of playing the game, spent the time trying crap to get themselves meshed so they could cheat, because you aren't gonna tell me that these methods arose by pure happenstance!  I just can't believe that.

WildCard has a responsibility to provide support and fix problems if they want to maintain a clean and competitive environment.  But at SOME POINT, blame/responsibility falls to the damn cheaters too, getting as creative as possible to be unraidable and circumvent game design.

I think the overarching problem is that WC is taking a reactive approach rather than proactive. Certainly, they have addressed the issue—even in greater length than some may acknowledge-xbut it tends to be downplayed and ignored outside their responses to backlash. 

As for HOD, I think he should have remained banned. He did violate the rules, regardless of alterior motives. Just going by WC’s statements on the reversal of the ban, they were taking the opportunity to again avoid an ongoing dialogue about meshing issues, and focused almost purely on HOD. 

I think the problem with the optics of the situation is that WC seems to neglect (or avoid) acknowledging that meshing is something a large part of the Ark community views as the top priority, not something to have occasional and coded mentions. From a PR standpoint, it would be in their interest to acknowledge it at some level in every announcement and showcase any and all progress they are making. Otherwise, the community will continue to feel ignored for an issue they find more important than some new novelty game types and servers.

38 minutes ago, SaltyMonkey said:

1. Almost every patch “fixes holes” but you’re saying they need to communicate this more. 2. How so? 3. Do we need them to state that they are aware of this issue over and over even though they are actively fixing holes? 4. I’ll keep repeating this to you because you clearly can’t comprehend the evidence bestowed upon you because it goes against your agenda.

1. Yes.

2. More details, more mentions of “meshing” specifically, as opposed to occasional generic references.

3. Yes. Obviously.

4. You’re just trolling and willfully ignoring the literal texts and meanings of my posts. This is also evident by your stalkish insistence on going through my posts to attach a handslap emoji, which can only be interpreted as a slight acknowledgment that you feel foolish.

4 hours ago, ArkP1 said:

I think the overarching problem is that WC is taking a reactive approach rather than proactive. Certainly, they have addressed the issue—even in greater length than some may acknowledge-xbut it tends to be downplayed and ignored outside their responses to backlash. 

As for HOD, I think he should have remained banned. He did violate the rules, regardless of alterior motives. Just going by WC’s statements on the reversal of the ban, they were taking the opportunity to again avoid an ongoing dialogue about meshing issues, and focused almost purely on HOD. 

I think the problem with the optics of the situation is that WC seems to neglect (or avoid) acknowledging that meshing is something a large part of the Ark community views as the top priority, not something to have occasional and coded mentions. From a PR standpoint, it would be in their interest to acknowledge it at some level in every announcement and showcase any and all progress they are making. Otherwise, the community will continue to feel ignored for an issue they find more important than some new novelty game types and servers.

In regards to communication, I agree.  Being clearer about what they are doing when they say "patched holes" or whatever would be awesome.  But I think the -REAL- overarching problem here (bear in mind, the following is my opinion) is that the people that play the game can't stop raptoring cheating.  Because of this, it is an unattainable goal to fix meshing, duping, and exploiting once and for all. 

If it was as easy as Jerry-rigging an undermesh kill-zone, I have to believe (a risky stance) they would've done that.  But I have to assume (again, risky) that WildCard has internally tried that out and found that it creates even more problems than meshing, and most of those problems would probably be immediately exploited to ruin thousands of hours of people's progress with absolutely zero challenge.  That is what Official PvP is in this game:  It's either ruining people's hours of progress with exploit methods, OR killing beach-bobs and constantly raiding 2x1s as if this is raptoring Call of Duty.  Any new feature they introduce is immediately and rigorously tested to see if an exploit can be gained.  And why?  Because they are concerned with the integrity of the game?  Absolutely not.  Because the silent majority of the ARK playerbase (remember, many many people don't give a damn about the forums and just play the game) wants to be the troller/griefer/exploiter on Day 1 of the bugs, and stand there in someone's base covered in Tek Turret fire as they slowly and calmly god-mode-C4 all the base defenses and walk off laughing at the "salty" people they "raided" carrying a bundle of loot.

We The Community would skewer the ever-loving hell out of them for releasing a broken thing to fix a broken thing...  As we already do when they introduce things that are broken at first and require polish and fitment after introduction to the live servers.

22 minutes ago, TheDonn said:

In regards to communication, I agree.  Being clearer about what they are doing when they say "patched holes" or whatever would be awesome.  But I think the -REAL- overarching problem here (bear in mind, the following is my opinion) is that the people that play the game can't stop raptoring cheating.  Because of this, it is an unattainable goal to fix meshing, duping, and exploiting once and for all. 

If it was as easy as Jerry-rigging an undermesh kill-zone, I have to believe (a risky stance) they would've done that.  But I have to assume (again, risky) that WildCard has internally tried that out and found that it creates even more problems than meshing, and most of those problems would probably be immediately exploited to ruin thousands of hours of people's progress with absolutely zero challenge.  That is what Official PvP is in this game:  It's either ruining people's hours of progress with exploit methods, OR killing beach-bobs and constantly raiding 2x1s as if this is raptoring Call of Duty.  Any new feature they introduce is immediately and rigorously tested to see if an exploit can be gained.  And why?  Because they are concerned with the integrity of the game?  Absolutely not.  Because the silent majority of the ARK playerbase (remember, many many people don't give a damn about the forums and just play the game) wants to be the troller/griefer/exploiter on Day 1 of the bugs, and stand there in someone's base covered in Tek Turret fire as they slowly and calmly god-mode-C4 all the base defenses and walk off laughing at the "salty" people they "raided" carrying a bundle of loot.

We The Community would skewer the ever-loving hell out of them for releasing a broken thing to fix a broken thing...  As we already do when they introduce things that are broken at first and require polish and fitment after introduction to the live servers.

Indeed, and well said. 

Personally, I’m not overly bothered by the meshing issue, but I understand why players are. I was in a tribe that kept getting meshed and after reporting it several times without any response, one of my tribe mates under meshed some turrets. 

Well, the tribe that had been meshing us reported it and we got a response from an Admin warning us to remove the structures or get banned, wiped, what have you. I could give a few other similar examples as well, but I think that story illustrates exactly how it came to this point. 

Communication can do a lot, and what I have witnessed is frustrated players trying to clap back at meshing and getting themselves into trouble in the process. I’d almost be willing to bet that most people know of more players being banned for pulling a rebellious stunt to expose or criticize it than players banned for exploiting it. That’s kind of how I arrived at the opinion they should just allow it and say it’s part of the game. Where I see an imbalance is that it’s easier to catch a person doing it to expose it than to get the players that are secretly exploiting it. 

I would recommend it for experimental servers, but what’s the harm if we all acknowledge that it’s going to exist and never be fully resolved? Structure limits and game physics still apply (aside from the obvious phasing), why not just let players run with it? Instead of hiding it and being vague about the problem, put it completely out there and give people a playground to do it. 

What this thread lacks in constructive criticism makes up for with impulsive and emotional responses.  We're all aware meshing is an issue and did not need a yt video about it.  While I admire the individual who posted said video for getting the companies attention on the issue, I fear it will have a streisand effect that will influence more pvpers to take advantage of these exploits.  Exploits like these cannot simply be patched over night or even within a week.  These things take time, months, sometimes even years to correct.  In the mean time it's up to us to police ourselves and play responsibly.  Again, I admire the individual who got the devs' attention on the issue but I also understand and agree with any punishments the company hands out to those who do not play responsibly.

We should also be thankful the mods/devs are allowing us to have an open discussion about this.  Please keep it constructive, being nice goes a lot further than aggression.  Please don't mesh me either, raid me with respect!

holy crap 16 pages and still going strong... and it seems we are now openly talking about meshing .. adding meshing ALLOWED servers for real??? . ... nope one of the reasons i prefer PvE - i have never been a fan of any PvP tbh not in games like this where u spend hours build something awesome then log off and in the morning its flattened .. waste of my time - and my time is precious to me.

However hod has been unbanned /yaaay the masses leaned hard enough and WC gave in .. or hey reviewed the vid properly and thought .. hmm knee jerk reaction .. either way i dont care too much, BUT as people have already said they do need to TRY and be more proactive in stopping the REAL meshers and/or FIXXING the holes / abilitites that allow people to mesh, granted after this there will be another 'exploit' that us humans will find to grief / cheat etc etc but that is human crappy nature

58 minutes ago, Duffmek said:

holy crap 16 pages and still going strong... and it seems we are now openly talking about meshing .. adding meshing ALLOWED servers for real??? . ... nope one of the reasons i prefer PvE - i have never been a fan of any PvP tbh not in games like this where u spend hours build something awesome then log off and in the morning its flattened .. waste of my time - and my time is precious to me.

However hod has been unbanned /yaaay the masses leaned hard enough and WC gave in .. or hey reviewed the vid properly and thought .. hmm knee jerk reaction .. either way i dont care too much, BUT as people have already said they do need to TRY and be more proactive in stopping the REAL meshers and/or FIXXING the holes / abilitites that allow people to mesh, granted after this there will be another 'exploit' that us humans will find to grief / cheat etc etc but that is human crappy nature

He still lost his entire base and everything he has ever owned. And now he has that disgusting taste in his mouth from the whole ordeal.

30 minutes ago, Sphere said:

He still lost his entire base and everything he has ever owned. And now he has that disgusting taste in his mouth from the whole ordeal.

imo he broke the EULA a ban would have been the same as ANY other player would have got if WC got hold of a video and 170k+ followers watched it ....... it was kinda asking to be hit with it BUT atleast all his followers should be happy now .....  if it happened to me i would be crap outa luck .... although i have more common sense than to do something as silly as that in the first place .... :D

57 minutes ago, Duffmek said:

imo he broke the EULA a ban would have been the same as ANY other player would have got if WC got hold of a video and 170k+ followers watched it ....... it was kinda asking to be hit with it BUT atleast all his followers should be happy now .....  if it happened to me i would be crap outa luck .... although i have more common sense than to do something as silly as that in the first place .... :D

Sure. And that is exactly what I was saying in this thread. But he lost his base to meshing, not banning. The prompt to put up that video was a direct result of the cheaters in this game, who sadly, are left to their own methods to destroy the game through unfair advantages.

1 hour ago, ForzaProiettile said:

Giving into obnoxious fanboys is a bad move from Wild Card. They are effectively saying to people do anything you want we'll unban you If you get your fans to shout the loudest!

Actually, it looked like HOD was trying to give good ideas on how to fix the game. I'm glad they unbanned him.

On 3/26/2019 at 5:20 AM, LE4SoDeadly said:

I struggle to understand the logic, the devs team refuse to  acknowledge the damage being done by meshing. And when some one who cares about the game try to bring attention to it your answer is to ban them? We the community would like to know 

WHY are items and tames that aid meshing still in the game?

WHY three to four years in are there still gaps in the mesh?

WHY are the resources under the mesh on abberation? Right next to a hole big enough to walk through? 

WHY the radio silence?  Surely you must care about the state of the game.

WHY do you do nothing to kill people who are in the mesh? Hell slap perma dev turrets in the mesh with custom ranges protecting key mesh spots there for they only shoot you if your IN THE MESH

we the community have put thousands and thousands into this game, yet it saddens me to see where it’s at now. 

Stop adding new games types and fix the ones you haves.

time for ark 1.5? Fresh wipe with new mesh guards in place because this game is so beyond broken at the minute. I can spawn on ab run about 100 feet crouch and walk into the mesh. And under mesh ever base in the map. But I don’t, Because im not a gorm.  

Actually the game has made 170 million dollars. So I guess that supports you even more, lol.

On ‎3‎/‎28‎/‎2019 at 4:29 PM, SaltyMonkey said:

YouTuber’s think they are above the law. Their ego grows just as big as their followers.

Well unfortunately with Wild Cards decision to unban him that is the message they are putting out there - too big to ban.

Maybe I should buy an aimbot and do an "expose" video as well. I'll give really thoughtful insights into how to fix the problem like Wild Card why don't you remove cheat websites from the internet and Wild Card why don't you ban all cheaters. Obviously I care deeply for the community and so don't forget to hit that like button and subscribe. I need a million subs because otherwise the game will die as no can expose this stuff as good as I.

1 hour ago, Z0mbie said:

Actually, it looked like HOD was trying to give good ideas on how to fix the game. I'm glad they unbanned him.

Surely you are not serious ?

Such "good" ideas like remove all sleeping bags, remove climbing picks, remove chairs, stop players going unconscious. Yes I agree HOD is a gaming genius.

He needs to be working for a major studio his ideas are revolutionary.

1 hour ago, ForzaProiettile said:

Well unfortunately with Wild Cards decision to unban him that is the message they are putting out there - too big to ban.

Maybe I should buy an aimbot and do an "expose" video as well. I'll give really thoughtful insights into how to fix the problem like Wild Card why don't you remove cheat websites from the internet and Wild Card why don't you ban all cheaters. Obviously I care deeply for the community and so don't forget to hit that like button and subscribe. I need a million subs because otherwise the game will die as no can expose this stuff as good as I.

I agree that his ideas on how to address the issue were pretty bad, But I believe the reason he was unbanned was not because of his youtube presence, It seems that the appeal was that he wasnt actually meshing himself, he was showing clips of other people using meshing methods, He himself was more just narrating and providing his opnions on the issue while compiling clips of players meshing to help with conveying his points.

I suspect this is likely why he was unbanned. It wasnt his name but instead the fact that he wasnt the one meshing in his video and that the intention behind it was to create awareness. Whether you agree or not about the decision to either ban or unban him I am not on either side of the agrument, I am just providing clarity to the situation and likely reasoning behind decisions made by Wild Card.

Archived