Ichthyornis problem

GoofyG

So I am playing singleplayer and running around looking for a raptor to tame, when suddenly a bird just snatches all my narcotics. These birds are really annoying. I am not sure what should I do? I want to build my base in a flat area near the beach, so I can be safe and surround my house and tames with walls.  Is there places where they dont spawn? Can I remove them from the game? Can I scare them away? Also can these birds steal from dinos?

(I might sound like a noob but I started this game not long ago)

The birds cant steal from tames that I am aware of. Your best bet is to place down large crop plots and plant plant species X in them and set the plant X to target wild creatures, my plants kill them all of the time, as well as any other flier that decides to visit (ptera, pelagornis, event an argent once.) As for where they wont spawn, that is the winter biome which is the hard area.

You and I are one of the same, these "ichy's" I call them, are annoying and irritating pests. The best defense is to carry a bow or crossbow on your character, and learn their flight circle pattern and shoot ahead of it. Usually takes 1-3 arrows every time. Typically they drop more hide or meat than dodo's. So to a beginner it is worth the time to kill (take vengeance) upon these pests. That, or run away and have them fly towards you in a straight line, then aim, fire. Good luck.

They are annoying, once stole a stack of kibbles on my taming way. Worst part is you can't even get back what they steal since they eat it immediately.

Best defense apart from shooting them is to completely split a stack of useless items such as berries, they will steal from one random slot in your inventory so if most of your slots have just one berry chance is you won't lose anything of value.

Okay thanks everyone, I will split my inventory and shoot them all!

5 hours ago, dodogal said:

They are annoying, once stole a stack of kibbles on my taming way. Worst part is you can't even get back what they steal since they eat it immediately.

Best defense apart from shooting them is to completely split a stack of useless items such as berries, they will steal from one random slot in your inventory so if most of your slots have just one berry chance is you won't lose anything of value.

Yes indeed it does, Set it to hunt and retrieve and it will kill an animal and bring it to you, the useful part is if you harvest what it brings you with a metal pickaxe it will give you a increased prime meat spawn. The awesome part is it can retrieve smaller dinos like dodo's or compy's and then you can actually get prime meat off of them, thats right prime meat off a dodo, They will also do the same with fish and you will get prime fish meat. Happy farming :).

12 hours ago, HoboNation said:

Tame one and see what it can do. They are annoying as hell wild I agree, but as soon as you tame one and try out its ability you will understand it's place in the game and why they can actually be pretty darn useful.

I was surprised how fun it suddenly became to tame a Hesperornis after I had an Ichy.  They are the primo fetch and retrieve, especially for prime fish.

1 hour ago, GoofyG said:

If they are on wander, they come back after a while?

No you have to find them, they can end up wandering to the other side of the map if given enough time. Usually when setting dinos to wander try make sure they have an area that has some natural or self made barrier to prevent them from just wandering off into the wilderness never to be seen again, and yes it will happen. imagine trying to find something as small as a pego after it's been left to wander around on a randomized path for lets say 1 day. You can test it out though. set it to wander and just observer it for a little, you will quickly see how easily the dino would be unfindable after about an hour of wander, either that or dead after wandering into a pack of hungry sabertooths.

5 hours ago, GoofyG said:

If they are on wander, they come back after a while?

The best place to do this is on an island or a peninsula. On the island map there is a cool islet on the south coast that works perfectly for this. I release Sarcos on wander in the large harbor area and they do fine as well, although they occasionally wander into the wooded area and get stuck on a rock or tree.  The Pegos do fine, however.  They keep the area free of Dilos and wild Sarcos and rarely stray off of the peninsula.

This is a problem in 2019? Seriously? Use a slingshot, bow, pistol, ANYTHING and just shoot them. When they were new they did get the jump on me because I was not looking for them. If you are aware of your surroundings (situational awareness) and you know they are there, simply kill them. Hell, if you are super low-level, simply back away from them and when they scream and dive at you, stab with a pike. Gets them every single time.

Archived