Wyvern & Wyvern Eggs Spawn Connection

DeHammer

Whenever you look at a wyvern's egg, it tells you that its parents are both a specific level, and you can expect the newly hatches wyvern baby to be the same level. I've also noticed that if you happen to catch sight of the 'mother' guarding the nest, you've also gotten a glimpse of what the baby wyvern hatched from the egg will likely look like. I have yet to actually see two wyvern parents of the same level that match to an egg. 

Our tribe spends a fair amount of time raiding the wyvern's nests in Ragnarok. We've often discussed strategies in promoting better egg spawning. For instance... Some of our members think that if you see a high level wyvern, you shouldn't kill it as having it around will lead to having higher level eggs. Conversely, they feel that killing off lower level wyvern will promote spawning of new wyvern, possibly higher level wyvern, and thus also promote spawning of higher level eggs. The same with killing/preserving wyvern of certain types. Example: the idea that if you kill off all the poison or fire wyverns you'll get more lightning wyvern eggs. All of this is speculation based on what seems logical. However, the game mechanics may not be logical in that sense. I tend to hink the game mechanics may not follow that logic as far as some people might expect.

Does anyone know the details of how wyvern and wyvern egg spawning works? For instance...

If you kill off all the wyvern in an area, do the wyvern need to spawn back in first before eggs will spawn? In other words is egg spawning the direct result of the presence of wyvern? 

Are there really two existing wyvern parents of the same level for every egg that spawns? 

If you see a wyvern with colors you like and leave it alive, will that possibly later result in an egg and baby wyvern of the same colors that you can add to your stable? 

Just how are wyvern spawns & wyvern egg spawns related? 

9 minutes ago, DeHammer said:

Are there really two existing wyvern parents of the same level for every egg that spawns

No, one parent, and it can be male or female. If you see a 185 poison close to a nest and there's a 185 wild poison wyvern around, the baby will probably look like it. You can even tranq the parent and check the stats.

If you leave a wyvern you like in the area, there's a possibility it will lay an egg at some point. Works pretty good with ice wyvern, you can pull them close to the nest spawns to get their egg. the other ones tend to despawn if you aggro them. It can take a VERY long time until an existing wyverns will lay an egg though.

On ragnarok it's super easy to get high lvl eggs. I'd just grab all the eggs you can find, use the bad ones for kibble and keep the high lvl ones.

The same applies to rock drakes.

1 minute ago, Weiss said:

No, one parent, and it can be male or female. If you see a 185 poison close to a nest and there's a 185 wild poison wyvern around, the baby will probably look like it. You can even tranq the parent and check the stats.

If you leave a wyvern you like in the area, there's a possibility it will lay an egg at some point. Works pretty good with ice wyvern, you can pull them close to the nest spawns to get their egg. the other ones tend to despawn if you aggro them. It can take a VERY long time until an existing wyverns will lay an egg though.

On ragnarok it's super easy to get high lvl eggs. I'd just grab all the eggs you can find, use the bad ones for kibble and keep the high lvl ones.

The same applies to rock drakes.

Thanks! A question on this... "I'd just grab all the eggs you can find, use the bad ones for kibble"... 

Saving the wyverns eggs for extraordinary kibble makes sense, and its something I'm going to push for. Up until now the other members of our tribe have taken to eating the wyverns eggs as they think that will encourage re-spawns, possibly at higher levels, and/or discourage lower level wyvern spawns and thus more higher level egg spawns. Does keeping the eggs in play (stored in refrigerator) to be used in kibble impact new wyvern egg spawns in any ways?  Or does the game consider any taken eggs to be 'as good as gone (destroyed)'?

9 minutes ago, DeHammer said:

Thanks! A question on this... "I'd just grab all the eggs you can find, use the bad ones for kibble"... 

Saving the wyverns eggs for extraordinary kibble makes sense, and its something I'm going to push for. Up until now the other members of our tribe have taken to eating the wyverns eggs as they think that will encourage re-spawns, possibly at higher levels, and/or discourage lower level wyvern spawns and thus more higher level egg spawns. Does keeping the eggs in play (stored in refrigerator) to be used in kibble impact new wyvern egg spawns in any ways?  Or does the game consider any taken eggs to be 'as good as gone (destroyed)'?

Id say it makes no difference either way, eat or storing it. Ive definatly noticed killing off low levels and keeping the high levels works. My old tribemates used to do it on SE but even doing this they noticed random eggs spawning in. Dont know exactly how wyvern eggs spawn but it doesnt seem to be directly tied with which wyverns, though it does promote said wyverns to more likely lay an egg though. We kept a 190 lightning around and killed everything (dilligantly too) and would still have random eggs spawn

The rumours people say about the wyvern has to be female is false 100% though

44 minutes ago, d1nk said:

My old tribemates used to do it on SE but even doing this they noticed random eggs spawning in. Dont know exactly how wyvern eggs spawn but it doesnt seem to be directly tied with which wyverns, though it does promote said wyverns to more likely lay an egg though. We kept a 190 lightning around and killed everything (dilligantly too) and would still have random eggs spawn

In SE wild wyverns get stuck in the world at both sides of the trench. You can see them using the orbit camera K key. Probably they are laying that eggs.

Btw I've used this a lot in the past to kill alphas for milk that may have been there stuck for hours/days.

Yeah people have covered this pretty well but figured I might as well throw in the things that I know for sure and the things that I think i have a decent idea of lol

Eggs will always spawn only in the presence of a wild wyvern.  If there's a 190 lightning wyvern egg, there is/was a 190 lightning wyvern nearby.  It doesn't have to be a certain gender.  If you leave that wyvern alive and take the egg, if the wyvern is still near the nests then the egg will eventually respawn.  This is one more reason it's good to build traps to fly through instead of letting them chase you very far away from the nests.  Also a reason it's good to kill the lower level wyverns and remove the eggs whether you keep them, eat them, whatever.  Just don't drop them because if they're near the nests that can still keep new ones from respawning.

That's what I know for sure.  The colors I'm not 100% sure on but I don't think they're passed on from the wild wyverns you see.  I've heard different things on that, but in my experience any time I've ever paid attention it didn't end up matching.  There was even a time where I took a 160 lightning egg then came back later and took another with the same 160 lightning still alive.  The two babies were completely different colors with completely different stats.  Now obviously it's possible that there was another one around I didn't see every time I've paid attention to the colors and they actually were passed down...  But that seems very unlikely.  I have seen people selling rock drake and wyvern eggs and guaranteeing them to be the same colors and claiming that's their method of doing so... However, I suspect they're just duping the eggs, especially since they always have a seemingly endless supply.

Here's an example I've observed of the baby looking like its parent. I'm not sure how rare Red Ice Wyverns are, but these are the only ones I've seen. Seems kind of coincidental if there's no relationship between parent & baby colors. 

In fact... I stole two eggs from this wyvern and still have one unhatched. Maybe I should hatch it just to see if its also red. 

momma.thumb.jpg.0100af8b83954b5be53bdd615ec69405.jpgbaby.thumb.jpg.17877e0887537018354f146dc7a11e82.jpg

3 hours ago, DeHammer said:

Here's an example I've observed of the baby looking like its parent. I'm not sure how rare Red Ice Wyverns are, but these are the only ones I've seen. Seems kind of coincidental if there's no relationship between parent & baby colors. 

In fact... I stole two eggs from this wyvern and still have one unhatched. Maybe I should hatch it just to see if its also red. 

Red Ice wyverns are extremely rare. They are do not normally naturally spawn in red colours, this will be an event wyvern from maybe the Christmas or Valentine event.

4 hours ago, DeHammer said:

momma.thumb.jpg.0100af8b83954b5be53bdd615ec69405.jpgbaby.thumb.jpg.17877e0887537018354f146dc7a11e82.jpg

Nice find!

We've got two red/white ice wyverns, same color, same stats, from two different eggs. I took a screenshot of the wild one and the color matches. I dragged that wyvern along the nest spawns, left it there and checked back several times. It took forever, but it spawned a second egg.

We had a 160 red rock drake stuck on a rock one time. It wouldn't move at all when we aggroed it. We took about 10 lvl 160 eggs out of the same nest (under the drake), all hatched with the same stats and color. A few other eggs spawned in that nest too, probably from the other drakes around.

We also found a 175 egg spawning in the same nest several times. Not event color, but same stats and color from different eggs, we still keep the eggs as backup boss drakes in a folder in our fridge.

It's way easier to find drake eggs than wyverns, because drakes tend to get stuck on each other and stay in the trench when you lose aggro. I always have problems keeping wild wyverns around, I didn't try to trap them near a nest yet though. I guess I need to build a trap before easter :)

34 minutes ago, Weiss said:

We had a 160 red rock drake stuck on a rock one time. It wouldn't move at all when we aggroed it. We took about 10 lvl 160 eggs out of the same nest (under the drake), all hatched with the same stats and color. A few other eggs spawned in that nest too, probably from the other drakes around.

We also found a 175 egg spawning in the same nest several times. Not event color, but same stats and color from different eggs, we still keep the eggs as backup boss drakes in a folder in our fridge.

I have had this happen too. I found a drake nest in the trench which just kept spawning 175 eggs over and over again, occasionaly with a different level egg, same as you all hatching the same colour and stats. Must have got about a half to a full fridge worth of 175s out of it. I assumed it was just like your experience of your 160, the drake must have been phased into the cliffs nearby. Had similiar experiences with the nests opposite this one but spawning much lower level 25s and 55s.

16 hours ago, DeHammer said:

I did some accidental testing on this. Up by the scar on Rag, we laid down a hut, some turrets, gates for holding our Gigas in and preceeded to steal some eggs. 

As you all know, as soon as you take an egg, most (not always) Wyverns will start their 'bombing' run and come after you. I just fly back to my turrets/Gigas and allow them to take out said Wyverns. I then placed a storage box as I use a Ptera for stealing eggs, and the weight isnt great when you have 5 eggs on you. I stored them in the box and off I went. 

The idea is that I will keep the lower level ones for kibble and take them all back down with me after I have done stealing enough eggs.

Eating the eggs allowed for respawns as did storing them in the box... there didnt seem to make any difference in time for egg respawn. 

What I did notice was even after an hr (when all the eggs I had stored; their parents obviously killed) if I took all eggs out of storage to take back to base, all Wyverns in the immediate area would again come to hunt me down... this took me by surprise as I really wasnt expecting it.

But in essence, you can either eat the egg, store them - it makes no difference to respawning of the eggs.

On 3/25/2019 at 11:28 PM, DeHammer said:

For the record... I hatched that second egg I found from the red 'momma'... and I'm pretty sure there's a definite connection between parent's colors and babies colors. 

RedSky01.jpg

2 hours ago, DeHammer said:

For the record... I hatched that second egg I found from the red 'momma'... and I'm pretty sure there's a definite connection between parent's colors and babies colors. 

RedSky01.jpg

It will be identical both stat wise and colour, gender etc. Ive done this with Ice Wyverns a few times, farmed one wyvern. Had 4 of the exact same babies.

Maybe I am lazy (Play on Rag) but I tend to kill all the wyverns off and then go egg hunting. (Volcano Side)

Land at a nest and wait, they will fly in and get stuck and you just melee them to death with your wyvern.

Pick up egg, wait kill some more rinse and repeat.

Great XP and at least for me I seem to get more high levels that way.

One thing I have noticed is Ice wyverns on Rag will spawn near the Red tower portion of the killer snow and fly to where they will lay there eggs then move to a nearby location.

Archived