Can’t build anywhere

DaveTheDodo

Yeah, it's pretty bad. I've been playing singleplayer since pre-release but decided to play the game legit from level 1, so i decided to play a live server for the full experience. Took me 4 tries to find a server where i could so much as place a campfire because of all the buildings and pillars. Even then, the server i found has so many massive gates and walls thst i'm forced to go in the water or deep inland to just get back to my body, where i die due to having nothing and getting attacked by dinos, and i don't even leave the easy spawn areas. Hosting a non-dedicated session is pointless because it just uses my singleplayer data, and i don't want to delete my singleplayer data cause i still want to play with all my stuff.

I'm sure every server is like this because every server is on day 8k-11k. This game is NOT set up to be new player friendly.

There are often more experienced players on who can direct you to build sites on pve if you ask. Some will even help you get there. If you haven't played with others before, I don't recommend pvp.

I almost never use a campfire; I eat berries or eggs from tame dodos to start, and use [tab] "gamma 4" to make it light enough to see. The campfires seem only to attract raptors, even indoors, so when I have a wood house I put them on the second floor (as well as my bed).

1 hour ago, iHartOvi8 said:

Pillars are placed to protect spawns and to keep people from building right on your door step.  I've never seen a server that doesn't have plenty of space to build.

I used to think every server was filled with spammed structures but i’ve found several that had plenty of great spots.

Then i was introduced to tame cap. No point in building a base if you can’t tame any dinos. So i’m practically forced to play on pvp. It’s not my style at all but i cannot go anywhere else. I’ve had the usual “go somewhere else then you noob” as well. Maybe ya should get rid of your 100 brontos and stop being a selfish raptor.

Single player is pointless because 1. It’s a multiplayer game. and 2. I’d probably give in to using cheats. I like official to limit myself so i don’t grow very bored in a few hours. 

41 minutes ago, MackTheKnife said:

I used to think every server was filled with spammed structures but i’ve found several that had plenty of great spots.

Then i was introduced to tame cap. No point in building a base if you can’t tame any dinos. So i’m practically forced to play on pvp. It’s not my style at all but i cannot go anywhere else. I’ve had the usual “go somewhere else then you noob” as well. Maybe ya should get rid of your 100 brontos and stop being a selfish raptor.

Single player is pointless because 1. It’s a multiplayer game. and 2. I’d probably give in to using cheats. I like official to limit myself so i don’t grow very bored in a few hours. 

I agree on single player for sure.  Even if I didn't use cheats, just knowing it's there as an option would make it a lot less fun to me.  Either I use them, which isn't fun, or I sit there and grind things knowing I could just type a few words and have it.  Sucks all the fun out of a grinding but rewarding game in my mind lol.

Anyway, have you tried PVE since they added cryopods?  I don't think there are many capped servers anymore.  I've only been on one that was capped since cryos and everyone I talk to seems to consider tame cap a non-issue now as well.  PVP is fun, but I enjoy playing solo so I've played PVE for a while now.

Player spawn points and beaches in general will often be pillared. There are plenty of places to build, you just need to go inland and away from spawn points. The pillars are there so a troll doesn't build a base on top of or around the spawn points, and also so the beaches aren't littered with noob thatch huts everywhere. Outside of those areas, pillars are often used to protect resources, rare animal spawn points, and because an outer perimeter is necessary to prevent people from building too close to other bases. It is possible to prevent someone from being able to place structures by building too close to them and of course there are those out there who do it intentionally.

Don't expect to build up much or at all as a low level player, just keep moving and leveling up. You'll probably die a lot so don't get too attached to anything, and don't bother taming until you have a base, assuming your server isn't tame capped anyway. When you do find somewhere to build, make sure you set up your pillar perimeter first unless you'd like to find out the hard way why people do that.

If your server is tamed capped, you can still get animals, just don't expect any handouts. It won't be easy but gathering some higher level resources even in small amounts should be enough to buy yourself a low level utility animal, although be prepared to pay extra for delivery so you don't risk dying and losing your trade goods. I'd go with an argent first since they can carry basically everything else you'll need and make it easier to get more resources. Rinse and repeat until you're up and running.

To be honest as an interesting experiment I've always wondered if it would be possible to play on an official PVE successfully without ever taming anything because of the tame cap issues. Just keep buying animals that already exist on the server until you have what you need. Could be a fun economy test if nothing else.

6 hours ago, Cymas said:

To be honest as an interesting experiment I've always wondered if it would be possible to play on an official PVE successfully without ever taming anything because of the tame cap issues. Just keep buying animals that already exist on the server until you have what you need. Could be a fun economy test if nothing else.

I usually buy animals instead of taming them. Yes, you don't need to tame anything yourself. Setting up bases for my kids, I tame 2 dodos and leave it at that, but really it isn't necessary. Then I've bought them a meat gathering carnivore (rex or argent in a starting area is just fine), and they move on from there.

I really don't get this - just moving from legacy PvE to the new servers, every server I've looked at had plenty of free space to build (OK, couple of the island ones didn't have any really good spots, but they were super laggy anyway), and none were at cap (one of the 1st things I do to check is knock out a dodo...).

Almost like it's a different game - I'm on PC, maybe those who can't find spots or non-capped servers are xbox?

On my main pve server some guy pillared all of south tropic then after 8 months his pillars finally decayed.   Then the guy who had pillared all of jungles north swooped in and pillared the north half of south tropics.     While another guy has pillared all of north tropic island as well as the little islands leading to jungles north, and various other places around the map.

then the other problem is the people warehousing dinosaurs instead of cryoing them.   Not enough incentive to cryo dinos even with the kibble changes.  Trophy's.

Pretty much redwoods, lava island, half-burn island, or along the edge of the world near the snow is the only build able places unless you want a 3x3 to live in.

4 hours ago, Zincht said:

I usually buy animals instead of taming them. Yes, you don't need to tame anything yourself. Setting up bases for my kids, I tame 2 dodos and leave it at that, but really it isn't necessary. Then I've bought them a meat gathering carnivore (rex or argent in a starting area is just fine), and they move on from there.

Good to know! I mean, aside from the difficulty of gathering the resources for that first buy, it makes so much more sense to me to just buy out someone's old utility tames. I've never met anyone who plays this game who doesn't have at least a few random animals sitting around. Animals one doesn't really need but can't be bothered to cull and that probably aren't worth the effort of cryoing. I mean, I'm currently playing on SP, have less than a dozen tames and already have at least 3 off the top of my head I don't actually need for anything, they're outdated but I have no reason to get rid of them. If I were on a server and someone wanted to buy one for even a token amount I'd be all for it.

I just think it would be kind of neat to play entirely as a "dino dealer", taming nothing oneself and see how far you can get on a single server. I know some people might not like the idea because it's not "their" animals but realistically how many animals do you really need to breed yourself as active mounts? I don't know about anyone else but no matter how many tames I have available I go for the same ones every time, sometimes even when there's better animals available.

Anyway I'm drifting pretty far off topic here.

I think a lot of newer players exaggerate just how many pillars are around on the map. Yes, you probably can't put your campfire down on the beach right next to your spawn point. But travel even slightly inland or away from the player spawn areas and unless you're on a server with particularly vindictive serial pillarers like Tattare mentions, there's space. Just practice good newbie courtesy and demo your temporary structures when you're done using them, is all.

Honestly a lot of times I don't even bother trying to build when freshly spawn on a server anymore. I just grind up until I can make a raft and live on that until I find somewhere to set up. I like to keep it minimal before I have access to at least stone tier anyway so aside from keeping the raft updated it's basically wasted effort. At least in my opinion. I like to build big so converting one of my builds into another tier of material would suck, lol.

I can go pretty much anywhere on the official servers I play on and find places to build.  As was mentioned some of the veteran players on the servers will often direct you to areas where you can build.  Sometimes if you are lucky and you find a place to build that doesnt have a specific resource node there you can get the player to remove their pillars you just have to ask.  If not tame a pteradon and fly the map to see if you can find a place or just build a raft and live on that until you can find a place to establish.

9 hours ago, FeyGriffin said:

I really don't get this - just moving from legacy PvE to the new servers, every server I've looked at had plenty of free space to build (OK, couple of the island ones didn't have any really good spots, but they were super laggy anyway), and none were at cap (one of the 1st things I do to check is knock out a dodo...).

Almost like it's a different game - I'm on PC, maybe those who can't find spots or non-capped servers are xbox?

I suspect that the people who complain about nowhere to build are wanting to build in places they shouldn't and/or aren't looking hard enough.  There's so much space and so many areas you can make work, even on servers with crazy high days I never have any trouble finding somewhere I'd like to build if I were to play that server.

The tame cap comments do make me wonder if they're on console or something though because yeah, it's been a while since tame cap has been an issue much of anywhere on PC.  I know of one Ragnarok server that's often capped but that's it.  I'm guessing it's mostly comments from people that haven't tried official PVE in a while or maybe even haven't played Ark in a while, but maybe it is still an issue on console.

It's possible there's a big difference for xbox (which is what i'm playing on). The pillar issue is quite bad. I travelled nearly halfway across the entire map on the southern coast without being able to build anything. Going inland is too dangerous at such a low level, the massive bases aren't making things any easier.

No idea about the tame cap, i only progressed enough to attempt to tame once, the turtle got away because i spent half the time trying not to hit the nearby structures and potentially piss off the nearby tames.

I think the real problem is the low activity on xbox. Everytime i checked, the servers all only had 1-4 players on. Meaning every structure is protected (pve).

I think the tame cap gets discussed almost every time pillaring is because it's such a common double argument made by newer players who complain that they can't build and can't tame anything. Usually they just have to go a short distance inland to be able to build or stop trying to build right on a metal mountain or something. I mean, I started on an unofficial last night and even there I found an expired thatch hut right next to the spawn point and another one a little distance beyond that. So it's not that there isn't anywhere to build, it's that everyone wants to put their little thatch huts right next to where they spawn because being new players, they're probably going to die a lot before they can make a bed.

I do think tame cap might still be an issue mainly on weekends when everyone is around to raise whatever babies they're working on. I wouldn't be surprised if that still causes some cap issues from time to time. I've actually been on an unofficial server that managed to tame cap a couple times lol, but that was mostly the result of a couple of hoarders before tribe limits were a thing.

11 hours ago, Onyxx said:

It's possible there's a big difference for xbox (which is what i'm playing on). The pillar issue is quite bad. I travelled nearly halfway across the entire map on the southern coast without being able to build anything. Going inland is too dangerous at such a low level, the massive bases aren't making things any easier.

No idea about the tame cap, i only progressed enough to attempt to tame once, the turtle got away because i spent half the time trying not to hit the nearby structures and potentially piss off the nearby tames.

I think the real problem is the low activity on xbox. Everytime i checked, the servers all only had 1-4 players on. Meaning every structure is protected (pve).

Maybe, but I was on XBox until a little over a year ago and I would constantly see people complain about pillars when they were never a real problem then so I'd suspect the same now.  You don't need to worry about finding somewhere to actually build that early on, if anything I'd just make a raft and live out of that until you get to a decent level with the ability to tame at least a ptera, argy, and doedic to find a good location and build.

2 hours ago, iHartOvi8 said:

Maybe, but I was on XBox until a little over a year ago and I would constantly see people complain about pillars when they were never a real problem then so I'd suspect the same now.  You don't need to worry about finding somewhere to actually build that early on, if anything I'd just make a raft and live out of that until you get to a decent level with the ability to tame at least a ptera, argy, and doedic to find a good location and build.

The people who complain about pillars are the same ones who watch " TOP 10 PLACES TO BUILD ON _______"  then just check one or two of those places and complain when theyre taken.

Some of my favorite base spots have been out of neccesity rather than choice. I used to be the 'outpost builder' for my Tribe. Sure, some servers could be pretty pillared.. but ive always been able to find a spot eventually. 

Yeah, the biggest problem with playing a multiplayer player game is most people kinda suck. 

You’ll have to jump around from Server to Server until you can find one with people on it that aren’t complete garbage. 

Private Servers are usually not too bad. Typically they’re low population and full of nice people that are also fed up with official servers and the bullpoop official players pull. 

Archived