How do you teach yourself how to tame?

Kharneth

So I've been playing this game for a week and have made many characters and have gotten so far as to reach level 70, but have hardly scratched the surface of what the island or ragnarok has to offer. 

I have also never tamed any dinos because I don't really care and I don't know how. I don't want you guys to tell me how to tame them, I believe I understand the jist. What I'm wondering is, how exactly do you figure out how to tame dinosaurs other than by other people explaining it (in game, forums, wiki, etc).

I noticed some dinos tell you what food to put in their inventory, but many more don't. Should I just start experimenting because it's a trial and error thing? Or is it written somewhere on the items or something? 

I don't want a check list or a table showing all the food and items to use to tame each dino. I just want to know where I should look in-game to start to figure this out on my own. 

If the game just does a piss poor job of providing this and it truly is trial and error than what dino would you recommend I try to figure out first? Personally, I want a raptor because they are cool, but I don't want that to be my first because I know it's going to be lethal. Should I start with the dog-sized lizards that eat berries? I use a lot of wood and it's awfully heavy, is there a dino I should look for either as a packmule or a wood-specific harvester? Or are these/is this dino not a smart move for a beginner? 

99% of everything about this game is not revealed to the player, and I think that may be a pretty significant downside for new players.  Taming however has two main types, passive taming, and Knockout taming.  the first is like you've seen with Mosschops or Lystrosaurus, you walk up to them and you get a prompt to feed them something, do this enough times and they become yours!

Knockout taming involves using weapons that induce Torpor on the target, such weapons include your fists, clubs, slingshots and Tranquilizer arrows.  Once you fill the target's torpor, it will fall unconcious and you can then fill its inventory with certain types of food which it will eat on its own as it gets hungry.  Every time it eats, its progress fills and will eventually become tame.  Better food means higher effectiveness for more bonus levels, with special kibbles being the best foods but these vary between creatures.

I will recommend you use the Ark wiki though, there is so much information about this game that only the combined efforts of hundreds of people have been able to figure out, and you won't be able to truly dive into the game's more interesting features without that help.  Especially since 90% of it is only told to you after you stumble upon the answer yourself =/

6 minutes ago, Kharneth said:

So I've been playing this game for a week and have made many characters and have gotten so far as to reach level 70, but have hardly scratched the surface of what the island or ragnarok has to offer. 

I have also never tamed any dinos because I don't really care and I don't know how. I don't want you guys to tell me how to tame them, I believe I understand the jist. What I'm wondering is, how exactly do you figure out how to tame dinosaurs other than by other people explaining it (in game, forums, wiki, etc).

I noticed some dinos tell you what food to put in their inventory, but many more don't. Should I just start experimenting because it's a trial and error thing? Or is it written somewhere on the items or something? 

I don't want a check list or a table showing all the food and items to use to tame each dino. I just want to know where I should look in-game to start to figure this out on my own. 

If the game just does a piss poor job of providing this and it truly is trial and error than what dino would you recommend I try to figure out first? Personally, I want a raptor because they are cool, but I don't want that to be my first because I know it's going to be lethal. Should I start with the dog-sized lizards that eat berries? I use a lot of wood and it's awfully heavy, is there a dino I should look for either as a packmule or a wood-specific harvester? Or are these/is this dino not a smart move for a beginner? 

The short answer is no, there is no way in game to find this information. If you really enjoy finding things out on your own, you can try that, but it's really hard work as you won't know what's the best food until you've tried them all (or got a perfect tame so that food is "good enough" either way). I wouldn't recommend it as in my opinion (and most here, I suspect), ARK isn't that kind of game. As for a dino... if you like a raptor, then try for that. They're a decent starter mount.

I'm almost at 2k hours in game and I look things up constantly when playing, still. Just to give some perspective...

Okay cool :)

I'm gunna tame one of those lizard guys or kill it in the process! haha. I absolutely want to figure it out on my own. I just didn't want to be an idiot and start trying random things if there was some trick in the game. Like the lizards tell you to feed them, the club and tran arrows allude to the fact that they might be helpful. I wasn't sure if I'd find food that was like "raptors love eating this." 

I think I interpreted something from your response - that the food has a lasting effect on the quality of the dino. That's cool. I know they level up and can perform functions. I understand that everyone else is enjoying the game the way it was meant to be played. But I am enjoying the game in my own way. I am not playing effectively or efficiently and that's the point.

Ark isn't what kinda game? If everything was spelled out for me there'd be no point :P The wikis are useful once I've reached endgame and am experienced and want direction and efficiency. Right now I'm enjoying the mystery and that's not something you can hold on to so I'm trying not to rush through it. 

Thank you for your answer. I can go home and start figuring it out without thinking like I'm doing something wrong by being in the dark. 

57 minutes ago, Kharneth said:

But I am enjoying the game in my own way. I am not playing effectively or efficiently and that's the point.

Ark isn't what kinda game? If everything was spelled out for me there'd be no point :P The wikis are useful once I've reached endgame and am experienced and want direction and efficiency. Right now I'm enjoying the mystery and that's not something you can hold on to so I'm trying not to rush through it. 

That's perfectly fine. It is a sandbox game after all, which means you create your own goals.

"That kind of game" = where you get any clues whatsoever as to how it works. I did use the words "my opinion" as that is what it is: Since the game doesn't give the player any tools to find out the game mechanics, I don't think it means for players to find it out by themselves. Still my opinion. Then, if you want to play the game differently, luckily, that's very possible too! :)

A player community created and maintained Wiki happens because game studios have enough trouble with creating (and fixing) the content, physics, mechanics, etc. leaving almost no time for creating documentation. This lack of studio documentation does not, IMO, mean that the game was intended to be learned from just playing it.

Players also spend a lot of time outside of the game on forums, chats, etc. much of which is helping other players. Have a go at figuring things out on your own, but when that becomes more frustrating than fun, you can bring the fun back by using the resources available outside the game.

I think you will discover that knowing how to do something and actually doing it successfully will provide all the "fun factor" you'll need.

15 hours ago, bsmorgan said:

Have a go at figuring things out on your own, but when that becomes more frustrating than fun, you can bring the fun back by using the resources available outside the game.

I think you will discover that knowing how to do something and actually doing it successfully will provide all the "fun factor" you'll need.

I'm not new to gaming, I know how to enjoy myself. That's exactly my plan.

For starters, I'm not playing this game for the dinosaurs, they're just a part of it so I could live without tames. I also learned yesterday from some local tribes that if I don't want to be a target I can just avoid having tames. Not sure if it works, but I can see the sense.

I disagree with you in regards to the wikis. Demons' Souls was a very confusing game that did not explain itself to you and what I enjoyed most about my experiences with the series was playing it on launch when no one in the world knew what to do. I remember spending all night losing to a boss because I had missed a key event clearing the ground from its poisonous effect. It was so eventful and enjoyable because not even the wikis had information on this, yet. 

Discovering the tricks and ways to overcome the mechanics is a lot of fun. I watched a video on youtube where a guy made a cage for a raptor so he could put it to sleep in a safe environment. These are things that are boring to copy from youtube but extremely fun to figure out yourself. I've already been doing this, and other things, in order to get an advantage over the dinos by using the fact that they're AI against them. 

I know at the end of the day when I'm ready to move on the wiki and metagame will be there. But I played WoW for over a decade and still to this day the best experiences I had in that game were levels 20-30 on my first character who spent months inefficiently leveling up and dying to enemies that I'd later kill like I was folding laundry. I'm in no rush to metaplay Ark, but it will come because that's the kind of player I am. 

I will have a raptor by sunday. I would like the one that has been roaming around my area. Anyone know what the glowing red mist is surrounding the dinos sometimes? I've seen it on the raptor and also triceritops when they're provoked. 

3 minutes ago, Bruvas78 said:

Explorer notes and getting recipes from fallen dinos

See, there's so much I'm missing from the game it'd be stupid to jump on the wikis already! Truth be told, I've done a little researching, but doing my best to avoid it because there's still much in the game that I haven't given a chance. 

I think it was a couple days ago I discovered dangerous dinos drop equipment, sometimes of quality. 

Two different kinds of mist there.  The one on the raptor shows that it is an Alpha Raptor, a massively more powerful dino that cannot be tamed and exists solely to make the life of every dino and player nearby an absolute living hell.  You can find similar alpha creatures in certain other species and unless you are properly equipped to fight such a beast you would do well to stay far away from them.  On the plus side, they drop higher tier equipment if you can kill them.

The mist on the trike is a personal buff they gain from being near a carnivore and I believe they are the only dino to have that kind of a mist on them.

1 minute ago, TheBlastMage said:

Two different kinds of mist there.  The one on the raptor shows that it is an Alpha Raptor, a massively more powerful dino that cannot be tamed and exists solely to make the life of every dino and player nearby an absolute living hell.  You can find similar alpha creatures in certain other species and unless you are properly equipped to fight such a beast you would do well to stay far away from them.  On the plus side, they drop higher tier equipment if you can kill them.

The mist on the trike is a personal buff they gain from being near a carnivore and I believe they are the only dino to have that kind of a mist on them.

That's hilarious, because it was dangerously close to me yesterday and I ran because it was a raptor... not even knowing... 

I will probably try to kill it given the chance. I've gotten really good at trapping dinosaurs (cuz its easy af). I still make stupid mistakes, like not having enough arrows or making the trap and my base the same thing lol. But I'll figure it out! 

7 minutes ago, Kharneth said:

That's hilarious, because it was dangerously close to me yesterday and I ran because it was a raptor... not even knowing... 

I will probably try to kill it given the chance. I've gotten really good at trapping dinosaurs (cuz its easy af). I still make stupid mistakes, like not having enough arrows or making the trap and my base the same thing lol. But I'll figure it out! 

Good luck and may the force be with you then!  Just uh....make the trap somewhere faaar away from your base, just to be safe.  you'll find out why soon enough XD

TBH when the game first came out in early access we were all beach Bobs running around doing stupid crap because none of us knew what we were doing. Taming calculators and all that weren't around in the early days, so everything was trial and error plus sharing in general chat, though these days if you ask you'll probably get "check the wiki/dododex/youtube" for all of those kinds of questions. Plus we had a lot fewer tools available so we really had to get creative sometimes.

Basically yeah just scout around until you see something you want to tame. Not everything is tamed the same way, but for the most part you just need to shoot it with tranq arrows until it falls over, then put food and narcotics in its inventory. If you're not sure what an animal eats just throw everything in there and watch to see what it eats first, that's its favorite food out of the options you gave it. Keep giving it that food and force feeding it narcotics until it either tames, wakes up or gets killed by something. For the full beach Bob experience run out of narcotics halfway through and alternate between hand gathering narcoberries and feeding it said narcoberries to keep it down lol. Or make a realllly old school "taming foundation", a single thatch foundation with a mortar, sleeping bag and sometimes a campfire. Man have we come a long way since then, hah. 

I will say one thing that will help you is to just practice using some of your tools on harmless/low level animals to get used to them. For example bolaing paras so you have an idea of how to aim them, they can be a little finicky at a distance. And you know, test what it actually works on from a safe distance in case it doesn't. XD

2 minutes ago, Cowgirl said:

You are so lucky they just redid the kibble system, otherwise you would have like 100 different kibbles to test if you don't want to be told what tames what.

I'm also lucky that when I started playing we already had triangle walls and ceilings because boxes are lame and I'm loving making castles and didn't realize this was a new feature lul. 

19 hours ago, bsmorgan said:

A player community created and maintained Wiki happens because game studios have enough trouble with creating (and fixing) the content, physics, mechanics, etc. leaving almost no time for creating documentation. This lack of studio documentation does not, IMO, mean that the game was intended to be learned from just playing it.

Yeah, when I am feeling magnanimous, I think "maybe they wanted players to explore the island and use trial and error to figure out: what kinds of food different creatures like, all the kibble recipes, medicine recipes, etc...."

The rest of the time I mourn the days when devs didn't rely on the gaming community to make transient online manuals, on ad-riddled sites, that will probably disappear a year or two after a game loses popularity.

33 minutes ago, Uueerdo said:

Yeah, when I am feeling magnanimous, I think "maybe they wanted players to explore the island and use trial and error to figure out: what kinds of food different creatures like, all the kibble recipes, medicine recipes, etc...."

The rest of the time I mourn the days when devs didn't rely on the gaming community to make transient online manuals, on ad-riddled sites, that will probably disappear a year or two after a game loses popularity.

it's a catch 22 for the devs, either they reveal to much or too little, very rarely will any large enough group be happy with the amount they do release.

Archived