The complaint levels on this site are kinda ridiculous

ElGorrion

I've been recurring to this site time and time again for a little insight and more often than not I just end up running into people saying that this or that animal is way too op and it'll come for you at night and eat your children or it is pathetic and will get butt****ed mid combat and enjoy it and it'll turn on you. Because of this, I avoided way too many mounts for too long. Recently, I noticed that atleast one person in this site thinks that this animal is way too powerful or way too underpowered, so I decided to go for the mounts I had been avoiding, and as it turns out, it's not that bad. The Managarmr as an example: A month ago I decided I wanted to get one and came here for some advice and the top forum was a 4 page long collective complaint from the community. I ignored that and proceeded to tame one and got it a partner, and it died  in a fight agaisn't a middle sized tribe. It got shot a bunch of times and then someone grapple hooked it and then it was over. I managed to kill off the rest with my other managarmr and her hp was at half when I was done. I realized it's not overpowered.

The giga is another demonified dino on this site.  It is patheticaly slow and sluggish, so you can simply outrun it to the nearest herbivore pack if you upgraded your speed and stamina enough (which everyone should do). Or the microraptor. Really? The Stun Chicken is op? If you got jumped by one of these and then you got killed by something else then you probably didn't bring a fast and reliable combat mount, which, spoiler alert, you should always do if you're heading into a forrest. Also, keep your mounts on neutral. I even saw someone complaining about how the dilo is op.

The f***ing dilo. All it does is literally slow you down and chomp at you while you stumble around. I once took on a pack of 5 level 60s with flak armor on my own. The troodon is another great example of this because people don't understand it. It's a balancing animal, like the kapro, titanoboa, manta or microraptor. It's there to keep you on your toes and make the game a survival experience instead of a walk in the park. It is nearly useless if you tame it PvE and I see no point in breeding them. Same with all other examples I named. And you know, it's actually quite good in PvP but it's main fuction is to keep the game challenging. If you don't like that, you can always delete them from your server with cheats. F*** it, you can just delete all animals you don't like on every map with cheats. Why not just give the dinos zero damage and the player infinite health. Just GodMode if you've gotten this far.

The game is the way it is, every animal has a function, and it just works nicely. If you don't like it don't play the game or use cheats until it's the way you like, but please stop complaining about every nook and cranny, you're misleading the new players. Also, the raptor's pounce IS NOT THE END OF THE WORLD.

10 minutes ago, ElGorrion said:

It's there to keep you on your toes and make the game a survival experience instead of a walk in the park. It is nearly useless if you tame it and I see no point in breeding them. 

The game is the way it is, every animal has a function, and it just works nicely. If you don't like it don't play the game or use cheats until it's the way you like, but please stop complaining about every nook and cranny, you're misleading the new players. Also, the raptor's pounce IS NOT THE END OF THE WORLD.

You're exactly right. I've been playing for over a week and am absolutely loving this game. 

One of the first things that happened to me was I'd get killed by a raptor and my body would be camped by them. It really made exploration terrifying. The dilos were a challenge, but the raptors were auto-death. Even seeing one meant death as they were faster than me. Once I learned that some movement speed would allow me to out run them it was really, really cool. The ability to out run some fast prey animals was really cool, too. 

The dilos, raptors, and titanaboas harassing me in the beginning made the fight for survival really tense. When I switched to play Conan Exiles with my buddy I was incredibly bored because surviving was not  threatening, it was just a matter of doing a, b, and c.

In Ark I need to watch my back 100% of the time and I'm constantly on edge. It feels like I'm living in Jurassic Park, I'm terrified to go outside because I know I better be ready before I meet something. Just last night I got eaten by a Rex because I was crafting in the dark and it stumbled on me and I couldn't run. 

Every animal's purpose should not be domestication, that'd be silly. 

Nothing felt over powered to me. Not the raptors stun-locking me and outrunning me, not the titanaboas biting me once and making me pass out, not the piranha making swimming a pain, or the birds that steal your stuff and harass you. These are all the reasons I'm enjoying the game because when they're removed it no longer feels like a fight for survival and instead it makes the building and crafting feel like a chore.

The main reason I enjoy harvesting and building is because of how much of an impact it has on my ability to stay safe from the dinosaurs. If the only thing to worry about was weather, hunger, and thirst, it'd be pretty easy to survive and pretty boring to play unless you really enjoyed building, but there are better ways to satisfy that itch. 

Honestly, my only complaints are the glitches with these dinos. 

Pick up a raptor for taming with my wyvern and..the raptor somehow claws its way up to my wyvern’s back and pounces me off 6000 ft in the air? Kapros do the same thing. 

Troodons are just a pain because of stupid server lag. I have 160% movement speed and am running back to base, I CLOSED THE GATE BEHIND ME. 10 seconds later i rubberband back to that initial spot and get tranqd by a lvl 10 troodon. In full ascendant flak. I must have been there an hour.

I leave all my tames on passive because they always fly halfway across the map on neutral aggro. There should be a “fly straight up and don’t move” flee rather than a “fly 200 miles away” flee.

5 minutes ago, Kharneth said:

You're exactly right. I've been playing for over a week and am absolutely loving this game. 

One of the first things that happened to me was I'd get killed by a raptor and my body would be camped by them. It really made exploration terrifying. The dilos were a challenge, but the raptors were auto-death. Even seeing one meant death as they were faster than me. Once I learned that some movement speed would allow me to out run them it was really, really cool. The ability to out run some fast prey animals was really cool, too. 

The dilos, raptors, and titanaboas harassing me in the beginning made the fight for survival really tense. When I switched to play Conan Exiles with my buddy I was incredibly bored because surviving was not  threatening, it was just a matter of doing a, b, and c.

In Ark I need to watch my back 100% of the time and I'm constantly on edge. It feels like I'm living in Jurassic Park, I'm terrified to go outside because I know I better be ready before I meet something. Just last night I got eaten by a Rex because I was crafting in the dark and it stumbled on me and I couldn't run. 

Every animal's purpose should not be domestication, that'd be silly. 

Nothing felt over powered to me. Not the raptors stun-locking me and outrunning me, not the titanaboas biting me once and making me pass out, not the piranha making swimming a pain, or the birds that steal your stuff and harass you. These are all the reasons I'm enjoying the game because when they're removed it no longer feels like a fight for survival and instead it makes the building and crafting feel like a chore.

The main reason I enjoy harvesting and building is because of how much of an impact it has on my ability to stay safe from the dinosaurs. If the only thing to worry about was weather, hunger, and thirst, it'd be pretty easy to survive and pretty boring to play unless you really enjoyed building, but there are better ways to satisfy that itch. 

You're so right!  I especially remember as a new player getting lost in the middle of the night and accidently wandering near the swamp.  I finally remembered to light up  a torch and immediately found myself staring into the face of a T Rex, who seemed almost as stunned as I was.  I panicked and started running and quickly was destroyed by a Titanboa.  I honestly can't remember any other game that provides that level of enjoyable terror  :P

16 minutes ago, choroni said:

You're so right!  I especially remember as a new player getting lost in the middle of the night and accidently wandering near the swamp.  I finally remembered to light up  a torch and immediately found myself staring into the face of a T Rex, who seemed almost as stunned as I was.  I panicked and started running and quickly was destroyed by a Titanboa.  I honestly can't remember any other game that provides that level of enjoyable terror  :P

It makes me feel like I'm playing Demons' Souls for the first time again and I honestly thought that feeling was gone forever, especially with the end of the series. I have had so many different types of experiences of terror in Ark. 

I remember after having played for a few days I had this realization. I'd seen in horror movies where idiots would turn around while running, trip, and get killed but always thought I'd never do that if I was in that situation. Never being in the situation myself, it was easy to think. But I have been killed by dinosaurs so many times because after running away I'd turn around to see if they were still chasing me and they'd catch up and kill me. Finally I realized "You'll know it's catching up to you because it'll kill you, you don't need to turn around!" Now it doesn't happen anymore. 

I had an experience where a guy riding a dragon raided my base. I had a pistol in hand but knew that I was going to die. No idea what to do, I was stunned. I just sat there, heart racing, waiting to shoot the raider when he entered. It was like my brain froze. There were a million things I could've done during the 60 seconds he was beating down my door, but instead I did nothing at all and just waited. This was what crippling fear feels like - panic. 

Then, there's the dread feeling of inevitable doom when you've died in pursuit of a drop pod in a dangerous area and know that you're going to struggle to reclaim your precious items. Running back to your body knowing it's surrounded by titanaboas and sarcos (I mean multiple sarcos and boas) but also knowing that you cannot give up the lost items AND that you need to find a solution within the next 30min. I thought corpse running was dreadful in Dark Souls when all I was doing was reclaiming unspent experience points. Instead I'm here trying to reclaim my equipment while running naked in the darkness. 

As dreadful as these experiences are, none of them are without solution and all of them were a result of my own decisions. Even the dragon rider who raided me did so because of the extravagance of my base. The satisfaction involved in solving these problems far, far, far outweighed the frustration and dissatisfaction of those circumstances. 

On 3/21/2019 at 9:54 AM, MackTheKnife said:

Honestly, my only complaints are the glitches with these dinos. 

Pick up a raptor for taming with my wyvern and..the raptor somehow claws its way up to my wyvern’s back and pounces me off 6000 ft in the air? Kapros do the same thing.

Good point, but if you've played the game for anything more than a month you should know the raptor pounce is not to be meddled with, and all you had needed to do to avoid this situation was to bola and trank the raptor first. Then again, if you don't like raptors you can delete them and if that's not the case there's this fun thing called "ForceTame" on the cheat list. Btw, you activate the cheat bar by pausing your game and pressing RB, LB and X and Y at the same time on xbox and R1, L1 Triangle and Square on PS4. And also, you need to put "admincheat" before any command for it to work. Three simple solutions to a simple problem that really only required a little thought to it

11 minutes ago, johnm81 said:

Ironic no?

But the truth is WC/SG's past and recent actions put it on par with unofficials in terms of unknown reliability.

I have no unknown reliability. I know my admin wont close the server (its been up longer than non legacy..) and IF he did he would advocate to let one of us take over the rent and continue it if we so chose.

Yes it is ironic. Thats the only reason I posted it :P Still sorry to hear about your server man. It really helped our cause as unofficial players, though! 

On 3/21/2019 at 9:54 AM, MackTheKnife said:

Troodons are just a pain because of stupid server lag. I have 160% movement speed and am running back to base, I CLOSED THE GATE BEHIND ME. 10 seconds later i rubberband back to that initial spot and get tranqd by a lvl 10 troodon. In full ascendant flak. I must have been there an hour.

I leave all my tames on passive because they always fly halfway across the map on neutral aggro. There should be a “fly straight up and don’t move” flee rather than a “fly 200 miles away” flee.

About the troodons, don't like em'? "Admincheat Destroy Troodon_Character_BP_C" on the bar

And trust me, don't leave the tames on passive. I know that chasing after them or tracking them down is a pain but I would rather do that than get my armor chomped to tiny shreds, be killed, have my tame die and waking up in the nearest bed to marathon my way to my corpse full of goodies

3 minutes ago, OtterlyRidiculous said:

i would react but alas i hit my limit.

Same :( Every day :Jerbcry:

I was bored the other day, I tallied up my reactions given vs received and it was something like 1300 vs 1200 (given vs received) - Keep in mind half my rep was gotten before the forums switched to the new system so they dont show up

2 minutes ago, AngrySaltire said:

Ah that old chestnut.... Its annoying isnt it :(

Soooo much this lol. Plus food consumption multiplier and fuel conaumption multiplier too.

1 minute ago, OtterlyRidiculous said:

yes yes it is.

I would say its pretty fair to let us whom contribute a lot give more reactions.. say after 1000 rep or something we get 10x instead of 5x (I believe its 5 per 24h??)

Archived