game wipe?

WG Mavo

• Replies 606
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well, unfortunately for those on official servers, a wipe will likely happen imo. Due to the fact that a bunch of new people starting after release would be like fish out of water. They'd join servers that were already dominated by alpha tribes, and already packed with structures. It would ruin the experience for that big a wave of new people. Though losing all that stuff would suck, it's pretty much standard when a game gets released. It's what's fair honestly

6 hours ago, Jet Jaguar said:

Why in the hell would you want them to wipe official servers when people have spent hundreds and thousands of hours building, etc? Just because your private little server is special to YOU doesnt mean the officials arent just as important or special. jesus..

The problem is that upon full release, the game will need to be in a playable state.

Tyrannical mega tribes controlling the majority of Official Servers does not make for good gameplay.

Unofficial servers would be left untouched, but official servers need a clean slate.

Plenty of alpha games went live without wipes.

Name one.

Heya Leonhardt.

Age Of Wushu (NA version) for example, opted to release the game without a wipe, and instead added additional servers to accommodate the influx of new players.

With that, they were catering to their existing player base, who had made substantial progress up to that point, while still giving new players the option to either start on a new/fresh server, or if they preferred, join established guilds on existing servers.

Back on topic:
The initial question was in regards to unofficial servers, and I am sure Jen's answer above, made quite a few, who play on private servers, happy. :)

10 hours ago, GamerPerfection said:

He wasn't saying he wanted them to wipe official servers, he was saying he doesn't have an issue with that if they did, he was trying to make it clear that he was talking about unofficial servers.

yup. some people struggle to read i guess. I could understand why they would want to wipe the official servers because that's where most the action is at and where a lot of the game is aimed towards.

15 hours ago, Jen said:

We have no control as to what you do with your non-official servers, so there is nothing to worry about there.

What does this mean? And why does it say in the info on Xbox it's a work in progress and may not even get finished yet everyone is talking about the final release? Is it going to be finished for sure?

10 minutes ago, BlackRiderRazil said:

They could tag the current servers as "Legacy" leave them with their current load, and launch new servers for the new people. Keep both crowds happy.

Yeah this is my thinking. Obviously they are going to have to add a ton more servers anyways. They could put a message up on the lobby screen at launch letting new players know the situation. "Servers 1-400 are already heavy populated. New users please join servers 400+ for the best experience" something like that. I'm  fine starting over. To me that's the best part of the game but they should at least try to keep the people sticking through the game development happy. 

A wipe Will happen... maybe you keep your character.   BUT you're  all crazy if you think this game can go full release without a wipe..  They haven't even optimized the game yet..   When they do it will corrupt some data as unreadable. This shouldn't be a surprise.. no one said The game is released therefore you shouldn't get attached to stuff yet..  This is like pre beta and I've never seen a pre beta game at least wipe once before release just to optimize  operations.   

SO..  IN CONCLUSION KEEP YOU REAL LIFE TILL JUNE.  YOU are just testing the game right now, not truly playing it.. 

17 hours ago, DmpTrkDrvr said:

A wipe Will happen... maybe you keep your character.   BUT you're  all crazy if you think this game can go full release without a wipe..  They haven't even optimized the game yet..   When they do it will corrupt some data as unreadable. This shouldn't be a surprise.. no one said The game is released therefore you shouldn't get attached to stuff yet..  This is like pre beta and I've never seen a pre beta game at least wipe once before release just to optimize  operations.   

SO..  IN CONCLUSION KEEP YOU REAL LIFE TILL JUNE.  YOU are just testing the game right now, not truly playing it.. 

Maybe it is useful on a PVP server.

On PVE it isn't.

I see new ppl start every week and in a matter of a few weeks they have giganos, maxed quetz etc. veterans leave out of boredom. If you take a break on my server and come back after 2-3 months half of the island is changed. New bases, new players, old ones demolished.

Also: this is not about survival anymore, or taming, just trading.

On my server there are players that just claim dinos in order to sell them. They have set up a tribe with ppl ready to alarmclock and they start spamming claim on every dino asap. It is really a race. They got tens of dinos of each race, and start spamming the chat as soon as they log in.

You got a level 5-10 player, that mines some metal and makes ingots on a small hill.

chat: "Anyone wants a max tamed ptera with saddle? 150 ingots, anyone want a free mammoth?" etc etc etc.

The first thing newbs ask on chat is "which tribe can I join so I can get free dinos?"

Everyone is taking shortcuts ingame.

Before they wipe they should focus on destroying abandoned floating structures and stop the ingame trading. It skyrockets ppl to "endgame" and burnouts much faster.

And create a bigger island. With 70 ppl at Prime there is literally no good place to settle with all the mega bases around and abandoned floating structures which can not be destroyed.

On 2/1/2016 at 6:43 PM, ciabattaroll said:

This is an exact quote from Jat from waaaaaaay back in the digest with the snow biome :

The thing to note here is the last bit where  it says "up until release". So a wipe of the game is to be expected, but if they do not then it can be taken by the current player base as a pleasant surprise.

From steam forums:

Just a heads-up: there isn't a general Official Server wipe, and there won't be a wipe unless we think it's absolutely critically necessary. The only wipe is on these temporary new "Extinction Event" Servers for this Weekend, since we wanted to put more Officials for new trial players to try the game out. It also lets us test an eventual process for how we could handle a wipe in-game

;)

All the best,
Drake

From these forums...

On 26/12/2015 at 9:41 AM, Jen said:

There are no wipes planned at this time.

It's pretty clear that no wipe, now or at released is planned, I know many ppl are holding out hope it will happen, but it will accomplish nothing but give a huge portion of the population a reason to leave the game, Current patch aside, the devs are not idiots, they are not going to jeopardise a massive player portion for the sake of a few weeks where everyone is equal.. because in the end everything will return to how it is now...

They will simply add more servers on release, there is no reason to think they would wipe current servers and discourage current players.

tbh in the end wiping would make no sense at this point. this isnt an mmo with thousands of people on a server, we have like 70 at a time atm. Wiping would hurt most of the people who have tested things for months just so a bunch of new ppl can have a chance on a server they'd likely have no chance at logging into regardless. new players would more then likely want to join a new server so they are playing with a bunch of new ppl as well (being experienced with months in your belt give you just as much of an advantage as having a pre built base with 100 dinos) that way they dont get steamrolled by the expd Vets.

ive had the game for maybe 2-3 weeks now and i wouldnt really lose alot with a wipe but even then id far less encouraged too play on an official server post release. (do note i expect a wipe regardless i just think that after ive seen what people have done in game its not really worth it. alot of ppl who play an alpha or beta of a game with progression like this rarely come back because they dont feel the need to startover despite the fact they knew it was going to happen and were 100% ok with it.)

So this game has not been officially released yet, but still you are able to buy* it. And have to say I love this game so much, spend already a lot of time and afford to make a nice base and gathering rares.

But for me personally that is NOT something I want to do twice. So is there any official word what will happen when the game is official released? Will there be a complete server wipe, both PVE / PVP and private servers? Or will be there new servers only for new players be released on release day of the game?

I understand that the game is still in testing phase, and that the people who buy the game not are supporting the finance to complete the game. But it would be fair to the fanbase that there will be an official statement about this matter.

It's in early acces, dev have already said they will try to avoid wipe before release but it might happen, yes before release. If starting over is something you really do not want, you should not play early acces. You have the game at discount price during early acces, so if the game really do interest you, hold still for about 6month. They will add some ruin later this month, and some zone with be wiped.

As for release, from what I remember there will be a full wipe on official server.

15 minutes ago, Desty said:

As far as I know, one of the last Dev statements was, that all officials get wiped with official release.

(Was at least about 3 months ago...)

But this could have changed.

Can you find this statement?

Devs have been very closed mouthed about server wipes and the only things i have seen them say is that they will avoid wiping unless they absolutely have to. However this rumour that they will wipe on release seems to  persist because a portion of the community thinks 'its just common sense'. I have looked for an official statement and have found no official statement backing this up.

Nothing planned but maybe - was the last I heard.

plus certain sections of maps will get reset as they add new things.

i understand you not wanting to lose stuff, but I think it's best to work on the assumption that you will get wiped before or on release, and if you don't like that then hold off playing until then.

Speaking from the perspective of someone who works in software I think it is extremely unlikely they'd be able to do any kind of large scale updates or changes to the game without needing to wipe the worlds used in early access. But who knows.

i think it would also be unfair on new players if a large chunk of the servers available were already full of dominant max level players/tribes and their bases.

2 minutes ago, DonThommo said:

Nothing planned but maybe - was the last I heard.

plus certain sections of maps will get reset as they add new things.

i understand you not wanting to lose stuff, but I think it's best to work on the assumption that you will get wiped before or on release, and if you don't like that then hold off playing until then.

Speaking from the perspective of someone who works in software I think it is extremely unlikely they'd be able to do any kind of large scale updates or changes to the game without needing to wipe the worlds used in early access. But who knows.

i think it would also be unfair on new players if a large chunk of the servers available were already full of dominant max level players/tribes and their bases.

I am in my servers alpha tribe and i would welcome a wipe. You are the one assuming they will wipe when they have stated that they will avoid wiping unless totally necessary. Of the two of us you are making the greater assumption. They didnt wipe servers for the last set of biome changes and they have already stated that this time they will mark the areas of the map to be wiped more clearly which to me says they aren't planning on wiping this time either. 

Your last statement assumes that on release there will be loads of new players logging on to existing servers, its both extrapolating far into the future and I would argue overly optimistic. The game has been one of the highest selling games on steam for half a year now. It has had several promotional campaigns to get new players in and just came out of the steam winter sale.

IMO its unlikely that they will be a flood of new players when the game is released, sure there will be a few who bookmarked it to buy when it comes out of early access but there are currently 30,000 people playing and I doubt the number of people waiting to buy the game is a significant number compared to that

Archived