game wipe?

WG Mavo

8 minutes ago, Smash said:

Indeed. 

I hate to break it to everyone, but the established player base are detrimental to the games future.  You don't provide the devs with income (and this includes me although I mainly play unofficial at this point) and your servers with crap all over them (PVE) or with 1 zerg alpha tribe (PVE) will just turn the new players off.  The reviews will pan the game because of the legacy mess and new players will stop buying the game.

Your 10000 hours building your village on that PVE server do nothing for the game.  If you quit on server wipers it will just encourage new players in or old player back who were turned off by the mess that's been there since about last August................

Indeed. As Official PvP alpha myself I am not going to be happy with a wipe but I would understand why. Personally I like the early game PvP (without rockets, giga's, quetzals, etc.) more so I will most likely enjoy it more then being semi inactive like now.

• Replies 606
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Volunteer Moderator

This is the most current official statement on server wipes at launch:  http://steamcommunity.com/app/346110/discussions/0/351660338688949368/

PSA: Official Servers will NOT Wipe on game release!

Alright then, I've thought a lot about this, read a lot of commentary on the subject, and understand the time players have been putting into the game. Here is the final word on the matter: we will **not** be wiping the Official Servers on ARK's release (and as mentioned, we will do everything in our power to ever avoid wiping -- we all felt the sting from the launch duping bug all too well). We will keep existing active Official Servers as they are post-ship -- no wipe -- though at ship we may at our discretion re-purpose certain empty or near-empty Official Servers with 1 month prior warning (we'll provide archives to data of such servers if anyone wishes to re-host).. New Servers will be ADDED to help accommodate new players at that time; we can afford it ;)

We take the time players put into the game seriously, and we want to reward them for that. The reward is having a *permanent* impact on your ARK, simple as that.

Thanks everyone for your support, as we surely do need it. Please spread the word! 

Regards,

Jeremy Stieglitz

ARK Lead Designer, Lead Programmer, Development Director, Co-Creative Director, Co-Founder

25 minutes ago, Smash said:

Indeed. 

I hate to break it to everyone, but the established player base are detrimental to the games future.  You don't provide the devs with income (and this includes me although I mainly play unofficial at this point) and your servers with crap all over them (PVE) or with 1 zerg alpha tribe (PVE) will just turn the new players off.  The reviews will pan the game because of the legacy mess and new players will stop buying the game.

Your 10000 hours building your village on that PVE server do nothing for the game.  If you quit on server wipers it will just encourage new players in or old player back who were turned off by the mess that's been there since about last August................

Let's be honest here: the established player base will be the only ones around after Ark loses its flavor of the week status after launch.  I was there for it on xbox- every official server was 100% full 100% of the time.  Now, not so much.  And I don't think most of those players are coming back.  They've moved on.  The players who are here now are the ones who are going to be here after the release hype dies down.  I understand that there's money to be made, but can't you just launch more servers and wipe very inactive ones?  I don't think that alienating your current loyal players is a good strategy, and you do make a good point with legacy players, but if people didn't hop on the bus when it was new and are complaining about the state of it, that sounds like their fault to me. 

I know that if all servers get wiped, I won't be coming back.  I spent too much time on mine, and the thought of rebuilding it from scratch sounds like death.  I don't even think I could if I tried...too much effort wasted.

Official statement regardless...

The game's serialization bugs are piling up with every change they make to the code base. Everything in world is remembering it's code and properties from when it was built, not whatever the newest version of it's code is supposed to be. The result is lots of things breaking or not working the way they should. Dinos deleting, getting odd structure mechanics, blueprints acting up, even characters producing the wrong item because their engram is pointing to the wrong thing...

Eventually... they are going to need to figure out how to bring everything up to date... or wipe the servers so everything can start off on the same page.  Further, it would help make this 'early access' period be an actual testing period where they could fine tune the settings to see where everything should be. Archive the current servers to somewhere we can download them for single player or a private server, and begin wiping on a regular basis. 

Yes, some people would quit. A few might take a break. Some would just start up their own server or fire up single player with the archived save file. But you've got enough addicts who will stick around and be thankful for the fresh start you give us, and very happy to see far less bugs. You'll also be able to sort out some of the engine trouble that seems to revolve around it dealing with things in an alphabetic manner as I reported in the Allosaurus threads in my post history. If the engine is actually doing that, they will need to rename every single class in game so it all will load in the desired order. But the performance and bug resistance after such a change would be far worth it.

25 minutes ago, Mystalias said:

Official statement regardless...

The game's serialization bugs are piling up with every change they make to the code base. Everything in world is remembering it's code and properties from when it was built, not whatever the newest version of it's code is supposed to be. The result is lots of things breaking or not working the way they should. Dinos deleting, getting odd structure mechanics, blueprints acting up, even characters producing the wrong item because their engram is pointing to the wrong thing...

Eventually... they are going to need to figure out how to bring everything up to date... or wipe the servers so everything can start off on the same page.  Further, it would help make this 'early access' period be an actual testing period where they could fine tune the settings to see where everything should be. Archive the current servers to somewhere we can download them for single player or a private server, and begin wiping on a regular basis. 

Yes, some people would quit. A few might take a break. Some would just start up their own server or fire up single player with the archived save file. But you've got enough addicts who will stick around and be thankful for the fresh start you give us, and very happy to see far less bugs. You'll also be able to sort out some of the engine trouble that seems to revolve around it dealing with things in an alphabetic manner as I reported in the Allosaurus threads in my post history. If the engine is actually doing that, they will need to rename every single class in game so it all will load in the desired order. But the performance and bug resistance after such a change would be far worth it.

I would be moderately okay with a server wipe if this were possible, but do you think it would work correctly with Xbox players and servers?

2 hours ago, CTMalum said:

I would be moderately okay with a server wipe if this were possible, but do you think it would work correctly with Xbox players and servers?

You're running mostly the same code as the pc, it's just 'ported' to your platform. So the same problems are going to build up there until they get the code base stable. (Or figure out reserialization)  I've already seen lots of private servers have to wipe because something gets out of control (Spawns, old structures, etc...) so I'm surprised that the officials have last so long as they have. Though we are seeing some of them crashing more and more regularly now and I'm willing to bet that it's really old object instances causing the crashes.

It's one reason why it was so easy to just kill and demolish everything I had on my longest duration official server, and why I don't mind jumping between them and starting over again and again. I notice each new character has far less problems than my oldest one. (Every mindwipe seems to help that oldest one, but only for so long)

On 12/16/2015 at 5:30 AM, Carnage said:

Just a heads-up: there isn't a general Official Server wipe, and there won't be a wipe unless we think it's absolutely critically necessary. The only wipe is on these temporary new "Extinction Event" Servers for this Weekend, since we wanted to put more Officials for new trial players to try the game out. It also lets us test an eventual process for how we could handle a wipe in-game

All the best,
Drake

Last time I check only having 3 players on avg per hour on xbox pvp servers is why its ABSOLUTELY CRITICALLY NECESSARY. to wipe all dead pvp servers. Or should wildcard just keep paying for 10 man servers?

Archived