game wipe?

WG Mavo

• Replies 606
  • Created
  • Last Reply

At first it was my belief that it was impossible to NOT wipe the servers before Full release.. I've since concluded the best action might be the establishment  of LEGACY servers that can only be accessed through a pre existing bookmark.. This would allow the players who wanted to stay, to Stay and those that want a wipe to Just start somewhere new.. in the long run if people continue to say the servers should be wiped I start to think maybe they just need to start a new server. I am of this bunch, seeing the time some players have spent on builds  it would be selfish of me to suggest this should be deleted for my "Level playing field" upon release. when I can much easier just start new somewhere else and not erode those players efforts. 

SO in conclusion my mind has changed and I'm convinced a server wipe on release is impossible..

But they may change the biomes again, and that may require  some things to be deleted..

server wipe on release= No 

Server cleaning to reorganize biomes = Highly probable

The official response has always been "There are no plans for server resets at launch". This has been linked to in every thread that starts about server wipes. There is at least 1 topic about this on the first 2 pages of the forum every day. Peoples personal opinions aside, there are no plans for a wipe at launch at this time period.

Are the Xbox servers being wiped in two weeks because there's a tribe on our server saying that they are as the full game is being released, but I seen that the game isn't being released until sometime in summer, so I highly doubt this is true, but alot of my tribe members and allie tribe members seem to believe it is true, so just want to make sure.

i hope this game goes good.. i also hope the single player is good because thats the only way people who dont have 24 hours a day to play to protect all the time wasted into building and taming. But it is impossible because of these tribes that feel like these public servers belong to them... Its going to ruin your game if it hasnt already we were a tribe of 8 four servers ago...If its impossible to level the playing fields then is it possible to rent servers so we dont have to set up two xboxs

7 hours ago, Jord said:

Are the Xbox servers being wiped in two weeks because there's a tribe on our server saying that they are as the full game is being released, but I seen that the game isn't being released until sometime in summer, so I highly doubt this is true, but alot of my tribe members and allie tribe members seem to believe it is true, so just want to make sure.

Full game does not release till june, if there is a wipe it wont be until then most likely.

On 2/24/2016 at 5:33 AM, ninjaridz said:

I've not heard anything official on server wipes yet but I'm all for it! The server I Play on is littered with giant redundant bases as no one seams to demo them when possible!! 

Pls pls wipe the server's Wild card :ph34r:

Then maybe you should find a new server.. 

Months of work shouldn't be completely erased for no reason. 

On 24/02/2016 at 1:38 PM, clmorning said:

I have mixed feelings on the wipe.  On one hand you are 100% correct.  It's a darn mess out there.  On the other hand, we've accomplished so much that starting over is not a good feeling.  I do wonder what happens with a server wipe?  Do our character stats go back to Zero?  Is the map just wiped clean? Do tribes get reset an we have to create a new tribe?  These are good questions to ask.  Maybe someone can find some answers from Wildcard.  It's just good info to know. 

Took us 4 days to hit 1 to 80 on pvp 578 on our restart so a reset doesn't bother me

either way someone is going to get upset if u do a reset or not... for them to do a reset would make hundreds of new upset people complaining.. why did u do it we put so much work blah blah blah.... so they will not do it because right now the only ones complaining are the people that cant get into full servers or have been whipped out of the maps. complaining and crying and saying everything that is wrong with the game isnt the answer...the problem with this world is that everyone is more then happy to tell you 100 different ways of how you did it wrong but not 1 person will tell you one way of how to do it..... im no tec person so i dont know how hard it would be to rent out servers like they do in battlefield but that would solve a lot of problems. i know i would pay a monthly fee to be able to play with friends again... the only thing i could see happening if they do listen to complaints is putting limits on what you can do and how many you can do it with

2 hours ago, TylerTheDoctor said:

Then maybe you should find a new server.. 

Months of work shouldn't be completely erased for no reason. 

It's not no reason, it's to make sure that all the new customers who buy the game at launch (likely at a higher price than us) will be able to enjoy the game. I don't think anyone here would be happy to start a new game only to find the maps littered with uber bases and everything good locked down because the people there had a couple of months head start.

This is one of these conversations that can go on forever. Do you destroy months of work so everyone starts on equal footing or do you hope the new guys can eek out a living among the established tribes on months old servers?

It looks like the best choice is to release new servers and keep "legacy servers" as mentioned before but we'll just need to wait and see. If they can't use that option regardless the choice one group is going to be unhappy. I'm not too bothered one way or the other, but if people who play on servers don't want to have them wiped maybe they should put out topics in the game suggestions forum. Simply saying "I don't want them wiped and I'll be angry if you do" doesn't help anyone.

13 minutes ago, Redmont said:

This is one of these conversations that can go on forever.

This is definitely the most true statement ever, we can never tell what will happen, probably the Devs don't even know themselves since, for example a complete change to the map/coding might be required to fix the dinos falling through the floor once they know the cause.

I know Wildcard have always said that they want to avoid wiping out months of work for anyone, the certainly have no plans for it right now - but there may be no choice for them once bug busting begins.

Latest quote was on Steam, I finally have a new copy paste!

Jat  [developer] 24 Feb @ 10:46am 
Right now, no. Ask me next week, 99.999999% be a no, a week after that, hopefully the same? Too soon to talk about it or decide. Just assume no until we say otherwise :)

On January 7, 2016 at 8:30 AM, Ceranai said:

It doesn't scare me, Im bored of endgame content so would either welcome more endgame content or a wipe to keep things interesting. However i think its wrong to assume there will be a wipe just because... what? what will happen on release that will require a wipe? they have already peaked as far as player count is concerned (peaked at 88,00, now 30,00 playing), they havnt wiped with major content overhauls like biome changes. I mean they have 30,00 people who are currently playing and will have invested time into building a base, taming dinos etc, i think its a little silly to wipe those 30,000 people's progress to clear room for what? maybe 10,000 new players?

If your base was in the area where the snow or swamp was added then you were wiped on biome release - I think adding new servers just for new players on release is impractical and expensive.  Not saying impossible but a wipe of officials seems a better option financially.  I don't see this going any other way than 1 of these 2 options.

32 minutes ago, Wax said:

If your base was in the area where the snow or swamp was added then you were wiped on biome release - I think adding new servers just for new players on release is impractical and expensive.  Not saying impossible but a wipe of officials seems a better option financially.  I don't see this going any other way than 1 of these 2 options.

There's a post literally right above yours from Jat that says they're 99.999% sure they're not going to do a wipe and have no plans to do so in the future. Even he says that it's too soon to talk about it. The games not even being released until June, there's tons more content to be added and we're here in February trying to decide what will happen. 

Let's all cool our jets, sit back, enjoy the game and see what happens.

3 minutes ago, Redmont said:

There's a post literally right above yours from Jat that says they're 99.999% sure they're not going to do a wipe and have no plans to do so in the future. Even he says that it's too soon to talk about it. The games not even being released in June, there's tons more content to be added and we're here in February trying to decide what will happen. 

Let's all cool our jets, sit back, enjoy the game and see what happens.

Jet are cool bro - I am indifferent to a wipe.  I was simply saying I can only see it going one of two ways - your right it's too early to know anything for sure 

-also I was trying to debunk people from saying "There was no wipe with the biome update so there should be one in the future" because although it was small and specific area that got wiped there was still some wiping. (That whole thing was handled super well by the Dev's btw)

me and my friends cant build people cant build in caves or mountains they kill newspawns randomly just because they want to and we cant get anywhere close to there base without their nine or ten gigas attacking then just because they want to they bring over their stuff and single me and my friends out and come kill us the last raid and wipe of our new clan(which was today/ last night when we were all offline) said they will give us 3 days to rebuild and then come and kill us again. so if you could find some way to help/fix this that would make me want to play the game more knowing that people like this have stopped for the moment.

I was wondering if the dev's were going to wipe all the official servers.  The game just isn't as fun compared to when it first released(xbox one early access), everybody was on an equal playing field and you didn't have mega tribes kicking other tribes down before they could even get on their feet.  I think that it would be a good idea, full release, new start.

Well I don't really think a wipe would accomplish much, I mean sure everyone would have to rebuild and retame everything, but the end result would be pretty similar, with the status quo of one tribe ending up getting bored as they are too far ahead- have no competition. If there is no wipe the gap will only widen since, high end resources are in limited locations on the map and those would always be controlled or gated off by larger tribes.

It's difficult to say what a solution that would appease both vets and newers players would be, but I doubt that wiping would really accomplish very much in terms of causing a rebalance of power over the island. The most active players or largest tribes would still rise to the top and those outside would be trying to keep up, but never truly challenge them.

Perhaps the island is just too small? There should be more land mass or maybe separate islands that you teleport too? So it's harder for tribes to keep a foothold on all the important resources (late game stuff), right now I don't think it's too difficult to gate off certain areas to have a large resource advantage, or keep the best defensible locations. Of course there will still be extreme examples where one tribe has a monopoly over the land, but it would make it harder for them to accomplish it.

Archived