Community Crunch 173: What's Happening & Artist Feature!

Jen

43 minutes ago, Caerbannog said:

Uhh, iirc you were the one fixating on the elitest notion that it is now too easy to get gigas. My point is that if you know what you are doing, gigas (insert almost any dino here) really aren't that hard to tame, and never were, kibble or not.

People who have more similar dinos out don't outstand how the egg laying system works: only 15 eggs total (and of those only 6 can be from the same species) can be on the ground at the same time within render distance of each other. This is not their fault, this is the fault of a game that hides basic gameplay mechanics and over-relies on a wiki. I get more eggs if the types I want now than I ever did before simply by the fact that I have fewer dinos out.

Additionally, this game was literally made with the idea that the maps would coexist with each other, not in a vacuum. If you don't like hespirornis eggs, go farm rock drakes or wyverns. If you choose to play on one map only, you're basically handicaping yourself--but that is YOUR choice. 

I recognize that we will have to agree to disagree--just don't say that the new system is too hard while simultaneously saying that it is too simple.

What I am saying is that it’s out of balance. Some things are easier, some things are harder. It’s funny that you only see it in absolute terms. I think you’re struggling to understand because it’s more nuanced than that. It’s like telling a paraplegic they shouldn’t have a problem finding a seat in a theater because they’re already sitting in a wheelchair. 

To enlighten you to the context, the giga mention was in response to a player complaining they couldn’t tame an argy with the stego kibble they already had. I jested that because of the kibble rework it makes more sense to start with a giga and work their way backwards to weaker tames. It was a callback to my early solo PvP days when I would make my way North of the redwoods and pick bronto eggs off the beach to kibble tame a sabertooth. You decided to jump in and start talking about mutton taming, which ignores and/or proves you unaware of the fact that many players on official servers have never seen a wild Ovis, or may have only seen one in months of gameplay. Sure it’s easy to mutton tame if you are lucky enough to find the RAREST creature on the island and tame or kill it near the giga you are going to then tame. It reminds me of other posts where players complained of not ever finding an ovis or wasting a lot of cakes with the decay looking for them. A common response was to tell them to “just pick it up” with an argy and take it back to their base. Like your response, that solution ignores game types outside your own, because for example, on PvE official you cannot pick up wild dinos. I can complain that it’s unreasonable to tame a thyla in comparison to how easy it is to now tame a giga and there is nothing contradictory about that, just your refusal to view things out of a black and white standpoint. 

In conclusion, your best ‘advice’ is to BUY a DLC (pay to win) or enter a CHEAT command in single player to go to Ragnarok. In case you were unaware, unless you enter a CHEAT you cannot access the Center or Ragnarok. It requires a player to first ascend. Next you’ll be telling me that athletes should just take performance enhancing drugs to compete. 

• Facepalm 1

1 hour ago, Caerbannog said:

Uhh, iirc you were the one fixating on the elitest notion that it is now too easy to get gigas. My point is that if you know what you are doing, gigas (insert almost any dino here) really aren't that hard to tame, and never were, kibble or not.

People who have more similar dinos out don't outstand how the egg laying system works: only 15 eggs total (and of those only 6 can be from the same species) can be on the ground at the same time within render distance of each other. This is not their fault, this is the fault of a game that hides basic gameplay mechanics and over-relies on a wiki. I get more eggs if the types I want now than I ever did before simply by the fact that I have fewer dinos out.

Additionally, this game was literally made with the idea that the maps would coexist with each other, not in a vacuum. If you don't like hespirornis eggs, go farm rock drakes or wyverns. If you choose to play on one map only, you're basically handicaping yourself--but that is YOUR choice. 

I recognize that we will have to agree to disagree--just don't say that the new system is too hard while simultaneously saying that it is too simple.

Bravo ??

14 hours ago, SaltyMonkey said:

Bravo ??

Naturally you would applaud a weak argument with poor points.

1. Mutton is a product of the RAREST creature on the Island and most players only see or encounter a wild ovis on official servers on rare occasions, often spanning over months of play, or at best, weeks. Mutton is a lottery resource that can only be obtained on the island based on luck, it takes significantly longer to use it to tame a creature than kibble, and it reduces the additional bonus levels that kibble affords. It is not applicable as a solution to a poorly conceived kibble system. 

2. Having more dinos out has NOTHING to do with eggs. Most tribes that have several dinos out (in the hundreds) don’t even need eggs. It’s a weak and irrelevant point that only so many eggs can be rendered in a certain distance at a given time, because the point is that regardless, very few tribes are reducing the number of dinos they have out. Most tribes are just leaving more of a different type of dino out. The issue being the new kibble system does virtually nothing to reduce the number of tamed dinos on a server and therefore fails to help reduce server lag.

3. The game was “literally made” with only one map to start. Each expansion and add-on has been designed as a stand-alone map. Not at any point has WC stated the intention for players to purchase DLC, enter CHEAT commands, or transfer to other maps in order to experience fair play. Indicating a player needs to do one of the former actions in order to advance in the game is proof positive of a poorly developed aspect or system. 

Work arounds are not solutions, and the necessity of them are clear evidence of faulty mechanics or game rules.

Sorry you got the clap. I would recommend seeing a physician immediately.

• Like 1
  • Facepalm 1

On 3/20/2019 at 2:20 AM, SaltyMonkey said:

How do you know other games haven’t had bugs that have existed before the games launched and still aren’t fixed?

Ark was designed to keep you grinding for hours on end, and it’s the only reason the bugs are as noticeable in comparison to other games. Not to mention that Ark was designed by indie developers, because bigger developers were smart enough to not make a game like this.

Your sentiment towards Wildcard sounds genuine, but not all of us make excuses for others when we're not obligated to. It also sounds like you might be the disagreeable type. That's fine, not everyone can distance themselves emotionally from a discussion.

The appropriate action by Wildcard is to acknowledge existing bugs and work with the community to eliminate them, or to explain why they can't be fixed.

In the end what is worse? Pretending that various bugs from small to game-breaking don't exist (like they've done for years), or be proactive with the community? 

I get what you're saying, and I'm not discrediting how much effort has gone into the game or how good it is, I'm getting close to 4k hours played so I'm obviously a fan. But, I know that while you and me might play ark in spite of the bugs, new players run the other way when these bugs are encountered, and because ARK doesn't have a subscription model or an item store, once a player has purchased the game then wildcard doesn't have any motivation to keep them playing. In fact, it's financially counterproductive for Wildcard to keep new players, as that ultimately increases hosting costs to maintain an adequate number of servers. ARK's business model (in theory) is to sell as many copies of ARK as possible, while retaining the least number of players, especially at this point in the development cycle. ARK will never be more than a niche game, and part of that has to do with Wildcard being an indie developer that struggles to keep their game even functioning 100% of the time.

• Facepalm 1

23 hours ago, Caerbannog said:

Oh, I only heard about this very recently, but not the particulars. Thank you for clearing it up for me. That is indeed very useful knowledge! ❤️ ?

23 hours ago, Caerbannog said:

I don't agree with this at all. I consider the kibble system to be a very core mechanic and I am adamant that any chore mechanic should work on any combination of maps, including isolated maps. Coincidentally, it working on individual maps is also a good way of making sure it'll work on any combination of maps, so that's good at least. On the subject, I would also like to say that I definitely don't approve of needing a paid map (DLC), however, there is the free map Ragnarok so I know that's not what you're trying to say.

On 3/19/2019 at 10:57 AM, TravisMichael said:

You guys plan on ever fixing the console glitch that deletes characters when a player beats Overseer, Rockwell and King Titan?

That bugged was fixed months ago, actually i think its been a year.  I got hit by that bug twice but it was patched a year ago and iv killed overseer since that patch safely.

11 hours ago, ArkP1 said:

1. Mutton is a product of the RAREST creature on the Island and most players only see or encounter a wild ovis on official servers on rare occasions, often spanning over months of play, or at best, weeks. Mutton is a lottery resource that can only be obtained on the island based on luck, it takes significantly longer to use it to tame a creature than kibble, and it reduces the additional bonus levels that kibble affords. It is not applicable as a solution to a poorly conceived kibble system. 

2. Having more dinos out has NOTHING to do with eggs. Most tribes that have several dinos out (in the hundreds) don’t even need eggs. It’s a weak and irrelevant point that only so many eggs can be rendered in a certain distance at a given time, because the point is that regardless, very few tribes are reducing the number of dinos they have out. Most tribes are just leaving more of a different type of dino out. The issue being the new kibble system does virtually nothing to reduce the number of tamed dinos on a server and therefore fails to help reduce server lag.

3. The game was “literally made” with only one map to start. Each expansion and add-on has been designed as a stand-alone map. Not at any point has WC stated the intention for players to purchase DLC, enter CHEAT commands, or transfer to other maps in order to experience fair play. Indicating a player needs to do one of the former actions in order to advance in the game is proof positive of a poorly developed aspect or system. 

Work arounds are not solutions, and the necessity of them are clear evidence of faulty mechanics or game rules.

Ummm Bravo lol

11 hours ago, ArkP1 said:

In reference to your point number 2.... Being that the new kibble system has been out for only 2 weeks, it may be too soon to say for sure what tribes are doing with their extra creatures.

On point number 3.... Allowing map transfers enables everyone to share same experience. If you choose not to pay for the extra DLCs, that's your prerogative but there is balance in that everyone has that opportunity.

11 hours ago, Truckerjenkins said:

In reference to your point number 2.... Being that the new kibble system has been out for only 2 weeks, it may be too soon to say for sure what tribes are doing with their extra creatures.

On point number 3.... Allowing map transfers enables everyone to share same experience. If you choose not to pay for the extra DLCs, that's your prerogative but there is balance in that everyone has that opportunity.

2. On point two, people are defending the system based on the premise that they are reducing the number of dinos they have out. There is no such evidence that this is taking place regularly and having observed player reactions across several servers, in combination with having witnessed numerous tribes go into great lengths to explain why they “refuse” to cryo their dinos, wecan safely conclude the new kibble system does nothing to reduce the number of dinos on a server. The fact is the only thing it does for sure is free up extra slots for dinos that are more desirable. So, either you’re claiming tribes would still leave out the old dinos they no longer need, or you can accept the more logical result of them using the new available slots to have more of another preferred type of dino. Either way, in no stretch of logic does it equal fewer dinos.

Moreover, cryo has undoubtedly and undeniably increased breeding, which undoubtedly and undeniably increases the number of dinos.

3. It may come as a surprise, but people do not have equal incomes or wealth and therefore do not have equal access to DLC in order to “pay to win.” 

• Facepalm 1

2 hours ago, ArkP1 said:

3. It may come as a surprise, but people do not have equal incomes or wealth and therefore do not have equal access to DLC in order to “pay to win.” 

I don't understand your "pay to win" mentality. Extra DLCs were made available to expand the game. Do you honestly believe they should have been included with the base game, or do you think they should each be a separate game?

Edited by Truckerjenkins

19 hours ago, Onimusha759 said:

That bugged was fixed months ago, actually i think its been a year.  I got hit by that bug twice but it was patched a year ago and iv killed overseer since that patch safely.

No it hasn't been patched. Not for console anyway. Just scroll through the Bug and Error reports section on here and you see players still reporting losing characters after fighting either Overseer, Rockwell and King Titan.

6 minutes ago, TravisMichael said:

No it hasn't been patched. Not for console anyway. Just scroll through the Bug and Error reports section on here and you see players still reporting losing characters after fighting either Overseer, Rockwell and King Titan.

Im on ps4 and it was safe to beta ascend about a year ago.  Mayb they broke it again.

4 hours ago, Truckerjenkins said:

I don't understand your "pay to win" mentality. Extra DLCs were made available to expand the game. Do you honestly believe they should have been included with the base game, or do you think they should each be a separate game?

The DLCs are expansions of the game which, should be independent of other maps. That is to say you shouldn’t have to purchase a DLC or travel to another map to obtain anything necessary to advance in another. If you disagree with this concept, take it up with WC. They have already changed the recipes for the kibble rework because initially they required ingredients only available on Extinction. Avoiding a “pay to win” scenario where players would be forced to purchase a DLC to make the new kibbles  is the primary reason this recipe change took place. 

There are a lot of things wrong with the new kibble system (like redundant time-sinking stews being included), but the biggest problem is with balancing. For example, it takes wyvern eggs to kibble tame a Griffin, but if a player has access to wyvern eggs they don’t need a Griffin , or at the very least, it is made obsolete. Additionally, a Giga should not be easier to obtain kibble for than a much weaker thyla or megalania. 

As far as golden eggs vs. wyvern/drake eggs goes, there is a significant imbalance due to time.

Imagine, for instance, you could purchase something that reduces breeding times. Since breeding is mainly based on a time scale, players with the ability to make the purchase would have an unfair advantage over players without that purchasing power. This is relevant to golden eggs because they pose a massive time-sink in comparison to wyvern/drake eggs. While they are not difficult to obtain, doing so requires a ridiculous amount of time where nothing else can be accomplished. There is also a lack of a secondary use equal or greater than the kibble. Whereas obtaining wyvern and drake eggs are a part of normal gameplay, golden eggs are not used for anything other than kibble. 

P.S. Golden eggs do offer a secondary use of a very slight and limited XP buff when fed to tamed creatures, but it in no way whatsoever is comparable to the primary benefit of wyvern and drake eggs that offer a chance to raise a powerful creature such as a wyvern or drake. 

My response to any person that thinks wyvern and drake eggs are a viable alternative to golden eggs, is that those eggs should be removed from the extraordinary kibble list. Let’s see how many of these people defend the new recipe when the have to swim hesperornis to make them. 

• Facepalm 2

5 hours ago, ArkP1 said:

The DLCs are expansions of the game which, should be independent of other maps. That is to say you shouldn’t have to purchase a DLC or travel to another map to obtain anything necessary to advance in another. If you disagree with this concept, take it up with WC. They have already changed the recipes for the kibble rework because initially they required ingredients only available on Extinction. Avoiding a “pay to win” scenario where players would be forced to purchase a DLC to make the new kibbles  is the primary reason this recipe change took place. 

There are a lot of things wrong with the new kibble system (like redundant time-sinking stews being included), but the biggest problem is with balancing. For example, it takes wyvern eggs to kibble tame a Griffin, but if a player has access to wyvern eggs they don’t need a Griffin , or at the very least, it is made obsolete. Additionally, a Giga should not be easier to obtain kibble for than a much weaker thyla or megalania. 

As far as golden eggs vs. wyvern/drake eggs goes, there is a significant imbalance due to time.

Imagine, for instance, you could purchase something that reduces breeding times. Since breeding is mainly based on a time scale, players with the ability to make the purchase would have an unfair advantage over players without that purchasing power. This is relevant to golden eggs because they pose a massive time-sink in comparison to wyvern/drake eggs. While they are not difficult to obtain, doing so requires a ridiculous amount of time where nothing else can be accomplished. There is also a lack of a secondary use equal or greater than the kibble. Whereas obtaining wyvern and drake eggs are a part of normal gameplay, golden eggs are not used for anything other than kibble. 

P.S. Golden eggs do offer a secondary use of a very slight and limited XP buff when fed to tamed creatures, but it in no way whatsoever is comparable to the primary benefit of wyvern and drake eggs that offer a chance to raise a powerful creature such as a wyvern or drake. 

My response to any person that thinks wyvern and drake eggs are a viable alternative to golden eggs, is that those eggs should be removed from the extraordinary kibble list. Let’s see how many of these people defend the new recipe when the have to swim hesperornis to make them. 

I see your point now (about the independent maps) and agree that would definitely balance things. If enough people were on board with your point of view, maybe WC would implement map specific servers in the future.