kibble What's The Point?

Sikaflex

What's the point in even having a wide range of dinosaurs now?

If you want a certain type of kibble all you need is one dinosaur that will produce the egg needed for it.

Maybe I don't quite understand the new logic behind this kibble rework.

It seems this is only to free up large egg farms on servers.

I kind of liked the tier based kibble forcing you to tame pretty much everything.

The old kibble made it more challenging I think.

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

In my own personal opinion I like this new kibble system, it could be better, am not a fan that each teir is essentially isolated there should be progression between the teirs but I'll take it just now. Ark is a sandbox game, and the previous system forced you to play and tame your way through the 'trees' a certain way, not very sandboxy IMO. Plus the old system while originally making kinda porgressive sense at the beginning (I actually liked this at the time) of EA turned into a mess. I mean troodon kibble for equus ? Lol. The new kibble IMO fits better into the idea that ark is a sandbox game, you can select what you want to tame for each teir.

As for the creatures that are now 'useless'. They were useless before just laying eggs, they are just as useless now.  Good time for a TLC for certain creatures. 

Whats the point of the wide range of 'useless' dinos now ? Again its a sandbox you can tame what you want. Also the wide range of wild dinos also gives a diversity of a functioning ecosystem if I can use that phrase. Its not just a world filled by 5 useful species say, its a world full of 5 useful species plus a host of more 'useless' species, which while useless adds to the world around us. Do they all have to be useful, not really but obviously its better if a creature is. 

Apologies for the brain splurge, it just sort of came out. 

1 minute ago, AngrySaltire said:

In my own personal opinion I like this new kibble system, it could be better, am not a fan that each teir is essentially isolated there should be progression between the teirs but I'll take it just now. Ark is a sandbox game, and the previous system forced you to play and tame your way through the 'trees' a certain way, not very sandboxy IMO. Plus the old system while originally making kinda porgressive sense at the beginning (I actually liked this at the time) of EA turned into a mess. I mean troodon kibble for equus ? Lol. The new kibble IMO fits better into the idea that ark is a sandbox game, you can select what you want to tame for each teir.

As for the creatures that are now 'useless'. They were useless before just laying eggs, they are just as useless now.  Good time for a TLC for certain creatures. 

Whats the point of the wide range of 'useless' dinos now ? Again its a sandbox you can tame what you want. Also the wide range of wild dinos also gives a diversity of a functioning ecosystem if I can use that phrase. Its not just a world filled by 5 useful species say, its a world full of 5 useful species plus a host of more 'useless' species, which while useless adds to the world around us. Do they all have to be useful, not really but obviously its better if a creature is. 

Apologies for the brain splurge, it just sort of came out. 

Never thought about it from that viewpoint! Awesome

This won't sound right but there is know other way to say it. (Sorry if this comes off the wrong way)

But a game with only 5 or 6 dino's would be completely boring.

Not all dino's in the game need to serve a purpose.

They could just be in there to make your life miserable.

Bugs, raptors, pego's, they can be a first class pain but I wouldn't want to remove them or any other dino's for that matter. (well I remove giga's just because)

And on that note you could start up a custom game and remove all those extra dinos (have only 5) from the game not worry about it.

Just food for thought.

57 minutes ago, Korizan said:

This won't sound right but there is know other way to say it. (Sorry if this comes off the wrong way)

But a game with only 5 or 6 dino's would be completely boring.

Not all dino's in the game need to serve a purpose.

They could just be in there to make your life miserable.

Bugs, raptors, pego's, they can be a first class pain but I wouldn't want to remove them or any other dino's for that matter. (well I remove giga's just because)

And on that note you could start up a custom game and remove all those extra dinos (have only 5) from the game not worry about it.

Just food for thought.

Someone understands world design ;)

I liked the new kibble system till I realized the new imprint system fixed everything I wanted. So I gotta agree with the OP.

Carnivores can be tamed via mutton or prime meaning the kibble isn't as critical for them with a few exceptions (Thyla). The useful herbivores could all be tamed with high efficiency using crop, just with an insanely long tame with crops (Therizinos). The only annoying bit was really the imprint kibble. If you wanted something rare, you had to work for it, but if all you wanted was something for base building, travel, or bosses, it wasn't a big deal.

Now its still not a big deal for the common stuff and all the challenge of the rarer stuff is gone.

There is no longer a kibble progression system. Getting rare stuff is boring now.

1 minute ago, Whipples said:

I liked the new kibble system till I realized the new imprint system fixed everything I wanted. So I gotta agree with the OP.

Carnivores can be tamed via mutton or prime meaning the kibble isn't as critical for them with a few exceptions (Thyla). The useful herbivores could all be tamed with high efficiency using crop, just with an insanely long tame with crops (Therizinos). The only annoying bit was really the imprint kibble. If you wanted something rare, you had to work for it, but if all you wanted was something for base building, travel, or bosses, it wasn't a big deal.

Now its still not a big deal for the common stuff and all the challenge of the rarer stuff is gone.

There is no longer a kibble progression system. Getting rare stuff is boring now.

Super weird how many people have the "not having to tame a ton of dinos I don't actually want instead of spending my time on any one of 20 million other things is boring" opinion.

12 minutes ago, iHartOvi8 said:

Super weird how many people have the "not having to tame a ton of dinos I don't actually want instead of spending my time on any one of 20 million other things is boring" opinion.

Yup!

Believe it or not, some of us actually like the thing that makes rare dino's rare. I loved showing off high level hard to tame dinos!!!! It is what made my tribe unique. We had high level Gigantopithicus, Pelegornis's (back when they were compy kibble), and Procoptodons (not a kibble dino, but whatever). Basically, if it was hard to get and not very useful, we loved it!!! Mostly because it gave us a niche to fill, I wanted them because they were rare and hard to get at high levels.

That's all gone now. You want a Giganto or Pelegornis.... Now you just whip out the rex eggs and get one. It feels like all the things that made us special are gone. You don't have to agree with me, but don't throw me in with a crowd that this change means nothing to. This change and the new lack of progression means something to me.

1 hour ago, Whipples said:

Yup!

Believe it or not, some of us actually like the thing that makes rare dino's rare. I loved showing off high level hard to tame dinos!!!! It is what made my tribe unique. We had high level Gigantopithicus, Pelegornis's (back when they were compy kibble), and Procoptodons (not a kibble dino, but whatever). Basically, if it was hard to get and not very useful, we loved it!!! Mostly because it gave us a niche to fill, I wanted them because they were rare and hard to get at high levels.

That's all gone now. You want a Giganto or Pelegornis.... Now you just whip out the rex eggs and get one. It feels like all the things that made us special are gone. You don't have to agree with me, but don't throw me in with a crowd that this change means nothing to. This change and the new lack of progression means something to me.

I get that to some extent, but I don't think any of those were ever that hard to get.  I have high levels of all of those as well(well I did, I lost all my tames at one point due to crashing issues and the gigantopithecus is the only one I bothered retaming), and it was much more of a "meh might as well, I just feel like it" thing than something I really worked towards.  What you really have to work towards, and that you can always keep trying to improve on, is breeding the best you can of actual useful dinos.  Of course you can buy them, but it's fun to do a mix of buying the ones you don't want to wait for and work towards some others yourself.  And even the ones you buy, you can work towards improving them or breeding the colors you want in to them.

I also don't think that's the case with most people that have that mindset.  I suspect it's mostly people who don't know how to go about working towards the really good stuff or don't want to go to the trouble and are happy with a stone base and no tek stuff, no boss fights, and don't really realize how nice it is to not have to worry about feeding so many different dinos while also trying to get those things done if you're still wanting to be able to tame things.

6 hours ago, Sikaflex said:

If you want a certain type of kibble all you need is one dinosaur that will produce the egg needed for it.

I kind of liked the tier based kibble forcing you to tame pretty much everything.

• There has never been a point in owning a wide range of dinos
  • yes that is correct
  • The logic is to lessen the amount of dinosaurs people leave out in the open
  • yes this is correct
  • I don't like to be forced to tame a dinos that has no purpose other than eggs, nobody is stopping anyone from still taming these dinos.
  • not challenging but definately tedious. taming a bunch of level 10 dinos and staring at their butts did not provide sufficient challenge to me.

7 hours ago, Sikaflex said:

This was brought up by many players before, especially offline players who warned that most dinos will become less useful than rocks.

We asked for a OPTION to keep old kibble system and we were simply ignored by the devs.

If no mod is available to restore old kibble system I think I will give up this game and find another one more fun to play and more consistent.

3 hours ago, dodogal said:

This was brought up by many players before, especially offline players who warned that most dinos will become less useful than rocks.

We asked for a OPTION to keep old kibble system and we were simply ignored by the devs.

If no mod is available to restore old kibble system I think I will give up this game and find another one more fun to play and more consistent.

What kind of narcissistic person needs to tell the community of their departure, just because they had a temper tantrum when a game developer chose to ignore that persons wishes?

5 hours ago, dodogal said:

But you were not ignored, they just said that they would not include an option to include the classic kibble system for what ever reason.

41 minutes ago, dodogal said:

Thanks for the effort, appreciated.

So basically they rely on the community to do their job?

You'd think with all the money they made from ark across numerous platforms, they could hire a couple of extra devs to do their job, right? ?

There is NO MOD to fix this mess so do it yourself WC ?

No worries, I do normally like to back up my statements with links but couldnt be bothered at the time...:)

Personally I would rather they did their jobs and sort out and refine the new system while focusing on more pressing issues like other bug fixes and other optimizations than trying to accomodate two kibble systems. I would assume that this option would require a lot of work and constant upkeep in the future. They  are doing their job, they dont need to do a server option for 'classic kibble', that would be a bonus but not nessesary. Such an option would be best in an ideal world but that looks like not the case. 

3 hours ago, dodogal said:

Thanks for the effort, appreciated.

So basically they rely on the community to do their job?

You'd think with all the money they made from ark across numerous platforms, they could hire a couple of extra devs to do their job, right? ?

There is NO MOD to fix this mess so do it yourself WC ?

They also explained why not keeping the 2 kibble trees on the last stream.

If you choose not to search for the info don't blame others for your ignorance.

Archived