My ark experience.

Worstgameever

Hello I'm here to tell you about my ark journey. I started on my own pve server and after doing many things and learning a lot I decided I wanted to try pvp as I saw this as the true way the game was meant to be played. I didn't like the game before and realized it only got worse with pvp. I started on a very populated server. Not knowing much about it i went day by day trying to get established and day by day everything got destroyed. I kept rebuilding and retaming each day only to be wiped again by people with the best dinosaurs the game had to offer. Well I finally had enough, got smart and moved server. From there me and my small tribe went to a ragnarok server. When we got there it seemed cool but was very laggy. Tried to play but again day by day would have everything killed by the alpha tribes. It was seeming like there was no chance at success in this game. Well we ended up moving to a different server and surprisingly flourished there. I even got further than I had on my own pve server there. We tamed many dinosaurs and a huge variety of them. We had all sorts of things like rex, gigas, wyverns, tusoteuthis, you name it we were taming it. We were friends with multiple tribes and doing very well. Well one day one guy from a mega tribe decided he wanted to break into my stuff. Got some of their good dinos killed and blamed me for their deaths. I had always been cool with this tribe and did nothing offensive towards them. Well after the guy got his stuff killed says I messed up and comes and kills whatever he wants and proceeds to loot NOTHING. He didn't need my items he was just way overpowered and bored I guess. At this point i think i can say I'm truly done with this game and so very happy of it. The game, in my opinion, is poorly made and not well thought through. It was fun at first and was quite exciting running around surviving. Once you realize how evident bugs and glitches are it really makes you wonder how this game got released, yet still made me want to see what the game had to offer. The more you played and the more dinosaurs you tame the smaller the world seem to become. The game loses incredible value once you tame all the dinosaurs and there's seemingly nothing left to do. That's where I thought pvp would come into play. Nope. Nothing but overpowered tribes with overpowered dinosaurs. Every battle takes place on like the top 3 dinosaurs and whoever bred theres the longest wins. It was a huge shame that people didn't just battle on raptor vs raptor or rex vs rex. That doesnt, or at least rarely, exists. It was only 2 or 3 dinosaurs that have practical pvp use. Everything else is just too weak. So this game is pretty much get the best dinos and the best base possible then just pvp from there I guess. And its WAY more time consuming than it seems. Spend 1 hours on a killing spree spend the other 23 hours collecting resources, feeding pets, constructing, etc. This game QUICKLY went from free fun to a huge chore. Most days you'll probably feel like it was a wate of time unless you're out and about able to explore, kill, and pvp. But so much wasted time goes into preparing for being able to do that. I am beyond disappointed with what seemed like could be such a cool game. The developers just keep releasing better things that outmatch your old stuff and cannot get balance. It went from a primitive game with basic dinos, to a futuristic scifi game with lasers and teleportation.  If I could sum up my experience it was constant bs with more bs, killing stuff very little and waiting waiting and waiting for rocks to be mined, things to be crafted, dinos to be tamed, to be bred. The amount of effort you have to put into this game just to spend a little time pvping or on your dinosaurs, just to have everything wiped by people who you could never compete with is just not worth it. Buy this game if you want a little dinosaur fun but a HUGE amount of time wasted. Surviving and exploring were fun to me, getting a new dinosaur was cool and fun for a short time, moving up in the ark world felt good. But this game comes down to joining a mega tribe and get the best dinosaur. Any lesser dinosaurs you get are worthless(except for utility) and you'll spend a whole lot of time doing all these chores just for a small amount of "fun time" and more than likely get wiped by people who buy dinosaurs or can never be competed with. Oh last thing I forgot to mention is this game is pay to win. Buy the DLCs get the new best dino and gear, wait for the next doc and repeat. If you've read this play it if you dont mind these things buy you've been warned. *edit* I forgot to mention how poorly things are made, like rafts, I expected to see some awesome raft fights. Heck no more like rafts driving through each other and right through your bases walls. They can put turrets on them and just drive them through walls and shoot what's on the other side. Hella lame reminds me why I'm glad to be done such a poorly made game.

I agree with you that the pvp is sort of lackluster these days. The most enjoyable pvp for me was early game, when your building up a stone base and fending off primitive raiders with bolas, clubs, spears, bows etc...in these early stages those starter tames are actually very effective and fun. The issue now is that nobody attacks in the early stage of ark anymore, unless its an endgame tribe wrecking a tribe that is far less advanced than they are. 

The Solution: Don't feel like you need to be an endgame player in order to raid. 

14 minutes ago, Countrydude89 said:

You will have literally have none of these issues playing on SP. Maybe that would be more your style? It certainly is for me. 

No point suggesting anything other than official for certain people. Many choose only to play a certain mode for validation because they believe that their way is the “proper” and only way to play this game. They get annoyed, they rant and rave about an experience they limit themselves to.

We, the unofficial community, many of which have played hundreds/thousands of hours on official ourselves do not limit our experiences. We carve our own through choice and freedom because we are not phased by validation. We play the game the Ark devs emphasise on, a fully customised experience.

2 minutes ago, SaltyMonkey said:

No point suggesting anything other than official for certain people. Many choose only to play a certain mode for validation because they believe that their way is the “proper” and only way to play this game. They get annoyed, they rant and rave about an experience they limit themselves to.

We, the unofficial community, many of which have played hundreds/thousands of hours on official ourselves do not limit our experiences. We carve our own through choice and freedom because we are not phased by validation. We play the game the Ark devs emphasise on, a fully customised experience.

I must admit, I used to think like that. Way back in early Early Access ( ;) ) I was playing with a larger group of people, aquaintances from real life. About half of them wanted to increase the rates but I felt that the vanilla rates were the "proper" way of playing and wanted to keep doing that so we ended up parting ways. And I've regretted it more than once since... I was really close to realising my dream of building a huge pen where everybody in the tribe had their own house, effectively making a village, but never got there and haven't since.

These days I'm playing on increased rates myself and even turn the server off (as it is my private one) when I'm not playing so I don't have to feel I need to log on for maintenance. I've come a long way :P and no longer feel that vanilla is the "proper" way of playing... If only I had realised that sooner...

We've all been through the frustration of ARK. But the reality is it's just a reflection of life. Things are not going to go in your favor all of the time. So you need to adapt. Don't let something that frustrates you get you down. Try and laugh at the bullpoop. I have 8,000 hours in ARK and 7.5k of those hours have been solo on official PVP

Something goes wrong in life- you can't expect the world to change. You have to adapt to new situations. 

Also i barely glanced over your giant mongoloid paragraph. So what I said might not even apply :) 

4 hours ago, SaltyMonkey said:

I’m assuming you’re on PC, because i’m on Xbox and unofficial is dead there. The only servers with any people are the x50 boosted ones that last a day. There are some good servers but they have 5 people or less. But at that point you might as well play SP.

Speaking of lasting, i’m tired of building up just for the server owner to decide he’s not paying anymore and shuts the server down.

7 hours ago, MackTheKnife said:

I’m assuming you’re on PC, because i’m on Xbox and unofficial is dead there. The only servers with any people are the x50 boosted ones that last a day. There are some good servers but they have 5 people or less. But at that point you might as well play SP.

Speaking of lasting, i’m tired of building up just for the server owner to decide he’s not paying anymore and shuts the server down.

So I should just quit hosting to my Xbox community because you say so? I’ve been hosting for almost 3 year but you think I’ll just bail on my community at any given point because that’s what all hosts do. Also, you’re clueless if you think all hosts care about server population - imagine playing Ark with your friends was just enough?

5 minutes ago, SaltyMonkey said:

So I should just quit hosting to my Xbox community because you say so? I’ve been hosting for almost 3 years but @MackTheKnife thinks I’ll just bail on my community at any given point and assumes I have a high boost server cluster.

Well how many people do you have playing and how boosted? If you really have hosted for 3 years then that’s great. 

I guess some people like having their own world to play in with friends if you have the money, but i’m not paying it unless i have a steady stream of 50+ people :P then again people don’t really matter if you are admin. You could just respawn a glitch-killed dino

• Volunteer Moderator
3 minutes ago, MackTheKnife said:

I wonder if people even bother to raise gigas :P 

I'm sure they do, gigas only takes 4 days to mature on that cluster, but they obviously cannot get the 500+% melee at birth that are on the main cluster; which is great for the balance. ^^

Archived