Ark Optimization

lzihl

Something has to be wrong with the steam version. Maybe the way Steam handles updates is making it hard for them to push out proper optimization.

Reason I'm saying this is that, on the windows store version with an undervolted Vega 64 and Ryzen 1700, I can keep a steady 60 FPS on max until mega bases tank it.

On the Steam version, max settings net about 45 FPS on the same hardware.

Too bad the Windows store version is full of UI bugs.

1 hour ago, Scheneighnay said:

I just wish there was such a thing as "no mega-base" servers, either through admin enforcement or tigher structure limits.

Would improve multiplayer a lot, both with better performance, and avoiding having massive swathes of a map being taken up by the damn things.

With Cryopods and the kibble revamp, this should be less of an issue now.

• 6 months later...

Performance takes a hit near large bases and near large collections of dinos.
There are momentary lag spikes when the world is being saved.
You'll also find that every survivor that is online will take a small amount of CPU and RAM.  This builds up and can swamp the CPU and/or RAM when a large number of people are online.
I've also seen CPU use increase when someone goes into a boss fight.

Ark is also dependent on network performance at the server side.  

As for it being optimised or not...  The difficulty is that Ark uses the Unreal engine.   None of us really know what goes on inside that engine (unless you work for Unreal).  I would hope that Unreal is optimised - BUT it is a general purpose library in that it has to cope with lots of different platforms.  So there may be compromises that hit performance in particular cases.

The other issue is that the newbies in WC may not really know the code that was written by the original crew.  Ark must have a HUGE code base.

17 minutes ago, Larkfields said:

Performance takes a hit near large bases and near large collections of dinos.
There are momentary lag spikes when the world is being saved.
You'll also find that every survivor that is online will take a small amount of CPU and RAM.  This builds up and can swamp the CPU and/or RAM when a large number of people are online.
I've also seen CPU use increase when someone goes into a boss fight.

Ark is also dependent on network performance at the server side.  

As for it being optimised or not...  The difficulty is that Ark uses the Unreal engine.   None of us really know what goes on inside that engine (unless you work for Unreal).  I would hope that Unreal is optimised - BUT it is a general purpose library in that it has to cope with lots of different platforms.  So there may be compromises that hit performance in particular cases.

The other issue is that the newbies in WC may not really know the code that was written by the original crew.  Ark must have a HUGE code base.

I just need to say they do not use the unreal engine they use a heavily modified version this was stated by multiple devs

• Joebl0w13 changed the title to Ark Optimization

Archived