Kibble Pyramid

P8triot04

I would like to ask for help in figuring out the new kibble "rework" from a supposed "broken" system. I would argue it is harder, unless I am missing something. Before you could tame something, that something's egg could be used to tame something bigger, and that thing's egg could be used to tame something even bigger. Instead, now a dinosaur's egg can only tame dinosaurs of equal level, therefore forcing us all at one point, to have to tame something at full length. For example a dodo egg for other dodos, dilos, etc. This is the current system, before a dodo's egg could be used to tame a pteradon, then pteradon's egg for something even higher /stronger etc. Is there a pyramid method like the old way that works with the new kibble rework that I am missing? Thanks guys.

I can't see any such method, no.

I think they intended for the new system to work in tiers like this. That is, you HAVE to tame at least one creature (even a low-level one) in a given tier, in order to get the eggs to make the kibble. But once you do that, you can use the kibble on any creature in that tier, even another of the same species (hopefully of a higher level).

So, if you wanted to tame, say, a Raptor, you'd either have to (a) first tame something else in the same tier (maybe a low-level Trike) to get the kibble, OR, (b) just go for a low-level Raptor and use its eggs to get higher-level ones.

In a way, the new system IS kind of a pyramid, only each level isn't directly dependent on the one below it. (Except, inasmuch as you'll probably still be taming easier creatures before you do harder ones.)

In contrast, the old kibble system was more of a pile of spaghetti noodles. ?

I'm with you on this one. The old system was far better and had a nice progression to it. There was nothing wrong with it it made sense...small dinos --> bigger dinos.

This new system is exactly how you put it. To tame an animal in its kibble "group", you have to tame an animal...in its own group. Pretty dumb really and yes, you have to do it the hard way. Hate it!

I tamed 9 low level anklyos to get enough eggs and kibble to tame...ONE higher level anklyo. Why anklyos? Well, as a re-starting player on an ORP server (I've played since day 1)the anklyo posed the least threat and something I could carry with my garbage argy and easily tranq. This is just stupid imho. 4 days of egg collecting and anklyo taming just to tame another high level good anklyo lmfao ark devs. I could have done this in a day or two with DILOS! 

On 3/15/2019 at 5:14 PM, TargetOne said:

I can't see any such method, no.

I think they intended for the new system to work in tiers like this. That is, you HAVE to tame at least one creature (even a low-level one) in a given tier, in order to get the eggs to make the kibble. But once you do that, you can use the kibble on any creature in that tier, even another of the same species (hopefully of a higher level).

So, if you wanted to tame, say, a Raptor, you'd either have to (a) first tame something else in the same tier (maybe a low-level Trike) to get the kibble, OR, (b) just go for a low-level Raptor and use its eggs to get higher-level ones.

In a way, the new system IS kind of a pyramid, only each level isn't directly dependent on the one below it. (Except, inasmuch as you'll probably still be taming easier creatures before you do harder ones.)

In contrast, the old kibble system was more of a pile of spaghetti noodles. ?

I guess that is the solution, just taming a few extremely low level one’s first, at least thats some kind of a solution. ?

23 hours ago, crazybizow said:

I'm with you on this one. The old system was far better and had a nice progression to it. There was nothing wrong with it it made sense...small dinos --> bigger dinos.

This new system is exactly how you put it. To tame an animal in its kibble "group", you have to tame an animal...in its own group. Pretty dumb really and yes, you have to do it the hard way. Hate it!

I tamed 9 low level anklyos to get enough eggs and kibble to tame...ONE higher level anklyo. Why anklyos? Well, as a re-starting player on an ORP server (I've played since day 1)the anklyo posed the least threat and something I could carry with my garbage argy and easily tranq. This is just stupid imho. 4 days of egg collecting and anklyo taming just to tame another high level good anklyo lmfao ark devs. I could have done this in a day or two with DILOS! 

RIGHT?! There was a method to the madness, I don’t recall the community majority complaining about the kibble system. Lol, but here we are. Watch out for the outdated Kibble information on the internet.

Actually the old method was terrible.  pretty much everything you guys counted as a pro for the old kibble tree was just untrue. there was no progression to it you often had to feed kibble from decent dinos to crap dinos and you were often forced to tame dinos that served no other purpose other than to poop out eggs to get the dinos you really wanted.

The new kibble system is better but not great.  I don't understand how so many people are having trouble figuring it out as it is definately simpler and less flavorful than the old system.

9 hours ago, P8triot04 said:

RIGHT?! There was a method to the madness, I don’t recall the community majority complaining about the kibble system. Lol, but here we are. Watch out for the outdated Kibble information on the internet.

I recall that people were in fact complaining about it a lot. Maybe it quieted down a little when "a kibble rework" was announced, because then it was being addressed. Then nothing happened for ages and when it finally came, I believe no-one had expected this when asking for it to be overhauled. The original complaint was that the progression was weird and arbitrary (e.g. you needed a carno for kibble taming trikes ?).

Personally, I was actually hoping for an overhaul changing the kibble "progression", but this is what we've got and no amount of whining will change it. I don't even think it'll be possible to get it as a server setting, which I've seen people asking for. So what we're left with is to figure out whether we can live with this as it is or what, exactly, need to be changed for it to work for us and then communicate that feedback.

Honestly, I don't know what to think really... I think that most of my feelings against it are just down to me not liking big changes. I have a few issues (the major one being how to get Extraordinary kibble when on The Island or The Center as I don't consider golden eggs viable even in the slightest) that I hope will be addressed: preferably by the devs, but if not, I hope for mods. If they are addressed, I might just end up liking this new system better than the old one! :) 

4 hours ago, Zahlea said:

Honestly, I don't know what to think really... I think that most of my feelings against it are just down to me not liking big changes. I have a few issues (the major one being how to get Extraordinary kibble when on The Island or The Center as I don't consider golden eggs viable even in the slightest) that I hope will be addressed: preferably by the devs, but if not, I hope for mods. If they are addressed, I might just end up liking this new system better than the old one! :) 

I think the biggest issue with the golden eggs is that they don't last long.  I spent quite a lot of time taming an ichythornis in order to tame a couple of hesperonis so that I can have a source for the golden eggs.  During this time, I actually found a couple of golden eggs on the beach.  By the time I had flown home to put them away, they were practically spent already.  With this very short viability time it will be difficult to amass enough eggs to make it feasible to bother with making the kibble.  Online I found information that the golden eggs have an 8 day viability, but that wasn't my experience at all.

1 hour ago, choroni said:

I think the biggest issue with the golden eggs is that they don't last long.  I spent quite a lot of time taming an ichythornis in order to tame a couple of hesperonis so that I can have a source for the golden eggs.  During this time, I actually found a couple of golden eggs on the beach.  By the time I had flown home to put them away, they were practically spent already.  With this very short viability time it will be difficult to amass enough eggs to make it feasible to bother with making the kibble.  Online I found information that the golden eggs have an 8 day viability, but that wasn't my experience at all.

That is a very big issue for me as well. About 8 hours - maybe in a refrigerator if you put it in right after you pick the egg up. I checked the wiki and it says 8 hours, like you said, but that's definitely not my experience either. I'll check when I go back to the game (when the Homestead issues have been fixed), but in a player's inventory, I would say it's closer to 30 minutes!

Although that is a very big issue for me, when it comes to viability as a kibble ingredient, an even bigger issue for me is how rare they are and that they take me babysitting a hesperonis until it lays the eggs. That means I can't play the game other than watch this bird lay an egg. Coupled with the amount needed to tame max level creatures (let's face it - kibble is mainly used for the really high level ones!), it just isn't viable! Especially when compared to how hard it is to get the other eggs in the category, if you are on other maps. It's so incredibly imbalanced for The Island and The Center maps.

4 minutes ago, ArkRage said:

They complained about people hoarding useless dinos to make kibble which strained the servers performance. That was the whole point of the rework. Had nothing to do with the previous kibble system and how they were used. ?‍♀️

Not really. The kibble rework was first announced in 2017, way before the first servers were capped. It came a point when they were bringing out new dinos every month that the previous egg layer tamed the next released dino. What’s progressive about that?

The devs knew back then that something had to be done to fix the tree but they delayed it because they didn’t deem it a priority. Just a shame they waited until after the capping to address it. Imagine what the tree could have been?

24 minutes ago, Zahlea said:

That is a very big issue for me as well. About 8 hours - maybe in a refrigerator if you put it in right after you pick the egg up. I checked the wiki and it says 8 hours, like you said, but that's definitely not my experience either. I'll check when I go back to the game (when the Homestead issues have been fixed), but in a player's inventory, I would say it's closer to 30 minutes!

Although that is a very big issue for me, when it comes to viability as a kibble ingredient, an even bigger issue for me is how rare they are and that they take me babysitting a hesperonis until it lays the eggs. That means I can't play the game other than watch this bird lay an egg. Coupled with the amount needed to tame max level creatures (let's face it - kibble is mainly used for the really high level ones!), it just isn't viable! Especially when compared to how hard it is to get the other eggs in the category, if you are on other maps. It's so incredibly imbalanced for The Island and The Center maps.

Yes, I haven't completely figured that one out yet.  I think I'm going to try to put them on wander in an inlet area at an outpost of mine, protected by a few high level sarcos and see what happens.  I was actually surprised by the number of eggs I randomly found on the beach left by wild ones.  There is no way that I'm going to build some complicated contraption in order to attract fish to them or spend time taking them fishing with the low odds of golden eggs anyway.

Archived