Quetzal Trap

DeHammer

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, d1nk said:

Were you moving? You need to come to a complete stop before. 

*solo tamed many-a-quetz - On official, private servers and single player. Yes, there is a small problem with its' wings blocking hit box, even with that if you hit the wings it does count. Did it just last month to confirm

I have tried moving, stopped, leading it, shooting at empty air behind it, point blank, etc. The speed of the quetzle seemed to have an impact as well, if it was turning or flying fast I almost never got a damage number hit. Slowly following it from behind when it wasn't panicked was the best result.

I think I'll try spawning one in a box and just going around to see what areas register hits and what ones don't.

Just now, Whipples said:

I have tried moving, stopped, leading it, shooting at empty air behind it, point blank, etc. The speed of the quetzle seemed to have an impact as well, if it was turning or flying fast I almost never got a damage number hit. Slowly following it from behind when it wasn't panicked was the best result.

I think I'll try spawning one in a box and just going around to see what areas register hits and what ones don't.

I also noticed that with its panicked speed boost - as a rule of thumb I never attacked it while it was fleeing like that.

Would love to see the results :) 

Just now, d1nk said:

I also noticed that with its panicked speed boost - as a rule of thumb I never attacked it while it was fleeing like that.

Would love to see the results :) 

Might also be worth noting that if you are doing this solo in the front seat of a Tap and whistle attack target and let the Tap try and hit it, the Tap attacks several feet away and rarely is it able to actually hit the quetz unless it makes a trun directly into the Tap. So even the dinos have a hard time figuring out how to hit the things.

1 minute ago, Whipples said:

Might also be worth noting that if you are doing this solo in the front seat of a Tap and whistle attack target and let the Tap try and hit it, the Tap attacks several feet away and rarely is it able to actually hit the quetz unless it makes a trun directly into the Tap. So even the dinos have a hard time figuring out how to hit the things.

You'll notice this if you say.. chase one on a wyvern and bite it too. I dont disclaim your idea on the funky hitbox, for sure it is weird but I bet its due to it flying vs on ground. Maybe this can expand into your test? Try hitmarkers on a tamed, landed still one vs flying vs wild flying?

56 minutes ago, d1nk said:

Then its a great coincidence because someone posted almost the same thing yesterday. So take the advice and implement it then :P 

Yes, applies to shooting anything off anything moving (even land dinos, while gliding, parachute etc) its ARK's hitscan system

Thanks so much for this info, I really appreciate it. Maybe now I'll have more success taking out Giga's with my poison wyvern. 

I wouldn't recommend building a non-quetzal trap for trapping a quetzal. You'll end up just pulling your hair out.  The very best method truly us using a Griffin, nothing else comes close.  Another option though which isn't bad is grappleing to a flyer that your tribe mate is flying and knocking one out that way but the Griffin is still best.  Also I used an ascendent long neck on my last tame with about 200 darts.  It takes alot but in the end that's the way to go.  I always recommend taking way more darts than you think you are going to need.  So if Dododex says you'll need 70, bring 300 just to be safe. Nothing worse than running out of darts and having to give up before you get it.

20 minutes ago, DeHammer said:

On the subject of using a Tapejara to solo tame a Quetzal... changing seats seems to be a sticking point. Can you switch seats mid-air, or do you need to attack the Quetzal (making it a target), land the Tapejara, switch to the front seat, then whistle the Tapejara to attack target? 

U get in the shooter seat while its landed and whistle attack target on the quetz.  Itll take off after it

Okay! Just tested and have some better answers.

After summoning a Quetz in a large building I discovered that the problem is shooting from a Tap.

On foot or on a ground tame, I can shoot and hit the Quetz anywhere and get hits showing numbers.

Shooting from the front seat of a Tap, even if the Tap is landed stationary on the ground, I can barely get a hit on a Quetz stuck in the corner. I did a random test with ten shots at the wings and ass scored only 1 hit that showed numbers even though all 10 showed the hit marker. Further testing without moving my aim after getting a hit, and can't score multiple hits in a row.

After all that, I'm now guessing the Tap's head is wiggling back and forth maybe and letting the graphics through but stopping the shot, don't know. But its buggy as heck.

54 minutes ago, Whipples said:

Okay! Just tested and have some better answers.

After summoning a Quetz in a large building I discovered that the problem is shooting from a Tap.

On foot or on a ground tame, I can shoot and hit the Quetz anywhere and get hits showing numbers.

Shooting from the front seat of a Tap, even if the Tap is landed stationary on the ground, I can barely get a hit on a Quetz stuck in the corner. I did a random test with ten shots at the wings and ass scored only 1 hit that showed numbers even though all 10 showed the hit marker. Further testing without moving my aim after getting a hit, and can't score multiple hits in a row.

After all that, I'm now guessing the Tap's head is wiggling back and forth maybe and letting the graphics through but stopping the shot, don't know. But its buggy as heck.

The tap has 3 seats  right, hav u tried the back seat?  I believe i use the backseat when i tame quetz

• Volunteer Moderator
8 minutes ago, choroni said:

This is great news!  I have often wondered why I would want to bother with a Tapejara… and now I know :)

I took Onimusha759's word about the tapejara and edited it in but it is not entirely true as I just tested. Unlike the Griffin, the rider cannot use weapons while piloting a Tapejara. If you use a Tapejara, you will need a passenger that will be able to shoot. You can use weapons while piloting a Griffin, tho.

26 minutes ago, invincibleqc said:

I took Onimusha759's word about the tapejara and edited it in but it is not entirely true as I just tested. Unlike the Griffin, the rider cannot use weapons while piloting a Tapejara. If you use a Tapejara, you will need a passenger that will be able to shoot. You can use weapons while piloting a Griffin, tho.

Oh, got it.  I do single player so that won't be an option.  Maybe someday I'll decide to get off the island and get myself a griffin.

• Volunteer Moderator
2 minutes ago, choroni said:

Oh, got it.  I do single player so that won't be an option.  Maybe someday I'll decide to get off the island and get myself a griffin.

You could spawn a wild Griffin with a random level and tame it. That wouldn't be considered cheating. ^^

8 hours ago, DeHammer said:

Ah, good to know... so we probably need two shooters on the Tapejara, or maybe even two Tapejaras with multiple shooters. Our tribe is very small... 4-5 guys actively playing and working together on certain projects when we happen to be on together. Most of the time I'm playing solo. Thus the trap idea. 

I haven't read the rest of this thread but when I got to this point... You're not solo and you're asking how to tranq a quetz? It's easy, just carry someone with whatever and shoot it in the head with tranq arrows.  Tame whatever quetz you see first, lower is actually better since it'll be quick. Then you can build a quetzal trap on that one and easily solo tame better ones.  I'm solo so I always just buy a cheap quetz or an egg for my first one, there are ways to tame one solo without already having one but it's not worth the trouble compared to what you can usually pay for some low one someone doesn't want anymore.  Or if you can buy a good egg, even better.

4 hours ago, iHartOvi8 said:

I haven't read the rest of this thread but when I got to this point... You're not solo and you're asking how to tranq a quetz? It's easy, just carry someone with whatever and shoot it in the head with tranq arrows.  Tame whatever quetz you see first, lower is actually better since it'll be quick. Then you can build a quetzal trap on that one and easily solo tame better ones.  I'm solo so I always just buy a cheap quetz or an egg for my first one, there are ways to tame one solo without already having one but it's not worth the trouble compared to what you can usually pay for some low one someone doesn't want anymore.  Or if you can buy a good egg, even better.

As you said, you haven't read the rest of the thread... or even all of my post. As I said... "Most of the time I'm playing solo. Thus the trap idea. "

There's no where to 'buy' a Quetzal on our server. We have to do it the hard way. 

If you had read the rest of the thread, you'd find that my issues with tranqing a Quetzal are valid, confirmed by just about everyone else that posted here. 

1 hour ago, DeHammer said:

As you said, you haven't read the rest of the thread... or even all of my post. As I said... "Most of the time I'm playing solo. Thus the trap idea. "

There's no where to 'buy' a Quetzal on our server. We have to do it the hard way. 

If you had read the rest of the thread, you'd find that my issues with tranqing a Quetzal are valid, confirmed by just about everyone else that posted here. 

Buddy, when you got to talking about multiple shooters that's when I went "What? Why is this still being discussed?"  Carry someone or take a tapejara and tranq it, it's not hard.  I'm sure that buying one is very possible on your server unless you're either on your own server by yourself or you're on a very new server and trying to be the first tribe with a quetzal.  But again, you're not solo so no need.  Tranqing it with more than one person is not "the hard way" by any means.

25 minutes ago, iHartOvi8 said:

Buddy, when you got to talking about multiple shooters that's when I went "What? Why is this still being discussed?"  Carry someone or take a tapejara and tranq it, it's not hard.  I'm sure that buying one is very possible on your server unless you're either on your own server by yourself or you're on a very new server and trying to be the first tribe with a quetzal.  But again, you're not solo so no need.  Tranqing it with more than one person is not "the hard way" by any means.

I have to tame it SOLO. It's too difficult getting others on board for the Quetzal when I want to do it. 

Anyways, I did. Tamed one solo. Lvl 100 Quetzal. Just now. Wasn't so hard.

I spotted a Quetzal near my base and decided to try something I had been considering. I jumped on my Tapejara. I then flew over the Quetzal and kept my Tapejara hovering over it, trying to apply some downward pressure on the Quetzal, while I held a dino door frame ready for placement. After a few minutes it was quite low to the ground and I simply dropped a door frame in front of it. Since it was trying to fly through the door frame and couldn't move, it was easy to fence it in on all sides with more dino door frames. KO'd it with tranq darts and tamed with mutton. 

20190316003841_1.jpg

20190316004051_1.jpg

8 hours ago, invincibleqc said:

Whoa shoa, i never said u could pilot the tapa and shoot at same time.  I hav sat in the passenger seat of a tapa and commanded it to attack a quetz which caused it to autopilot chase it.  Dont bend my words or put new 1s in my mouth.  Never said u can pilot and shoot.

Archived