Quetzal Trap

DeHammer

3 hours ago, DeHammer said:

If you look in this picture, about where my crossbow cross hairs are pointing, is where I first started flying over the Quetzal with my Tapejara. It was flying at its normal height from the ground at that point, a bit higher than my base you see in the background. The altitude of the Quetzal didn't noticeably change from that point to capture. As it flew toward the hill, and the hill rose beneath it,  my Tapejara clearly had an impact on its ability to climb with the hill. 

3 hours ago, DeHammer said:

Here's a better picture of the capture site that shows the hill. My base was right close by so I took my Velos out to act as guards during the tame.

20190316004252_1.jpg

That's pretty great!  Just goes to show there are so many ways to do the job in this game, just takes alot of trial and error, and some creative ideas.  Funny, back in the legacy days creating a trap on a quetzal was the way to go, but it sounds like they have patched it so much that it doesn't work great anymore.  It used to work perfectly though.

That's pretty great!

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply
17 hours ago, Onimusha759 said:

I haven't tried taming 1 in about a year with a tapa so im curious to see if they changed something.  Iv never had a problem hitting 1 from my tapa so im a lil confused to every1 saying that theyre having trouble.

I think the shooting from Tapejara issue has been around since legacy. I remember several times my tribe wasted hours trying to tranq a quetz only to have everyone complain about shooters with bad aim and other things. It drove us crazy to the point where we just traded for a fertilized egg. So its been around several years (or recently came back).

3 hours ago, Melcreif said:

That's pretty great!  Just goes to show there are so many ways to do the job in this game, just takes alot of trial and error, and some creative ideas.  Funny, back in the legacy days creating a trap on a quetzal was the way to go, but it sounds like they have patched it so much that it doesn't work great anymore.  It used to work perfectly though.

@Melcreif I took the Quetzal I tamed initially and built a Quetzal trap on its platform. At first I was confounded because my Quetzal trap was seemingly ethereal, and the Quetzal I was trying to trap just passed right through it. Then after Googling it, I learned that as soon as you hit your 'use' key and dismount from the Quetzal, your trap becomes solid and can actually contain the Quetzal. In a weird way, its almost a bit of an improvement over the legacy days... because you don't have to close in an open side after you trap the Quetzal. Instead you stay mounted as the Quetzal is passing into your trap, then dismount just as its in the center of the trap, 'et voila!'

When I first posted this topic I was wondering whether it was possible to 'ground & gate' a Quetzal. I was then able to pull it off in the particular circumstance that presented itself to me. Now I'm wondering... has anyone since given it a try, and if so, how did it go for you? 

Oh... also wanted to show my third solo Quetzal tame... Tek Quetzal in fantastic colors. Love this thing. It was level 114 wild, taming out to 170. It was quite the thrill ride getting this one tamed as I was surrounded by griffins in mid-air. I did manage to tame it in the Quetzal trap without it falling out however. I found it's health dropped way more than a regular Quetzal vs its torpor. It finally hit its 14k torpor limit with only about 300 HP left. Whew!

TekQuetzal3.jpg

30 minutes ago, dodogal said:

there are multiple methods to solo tame a quetz without a quetz, like argentavis + grappling or tapejara + passenger seat

the later worked for me, sure it's nowhere as easy as using a quetz but it's not that hard either

and finding the guides wasn't hard either so I guess you just expect others to do your homework

You should try reading the entire thread first. I read all the guides and previous threads on the subject I could find, long before I created this thread, and for a fact the method I proposed and used to tame my first Quetzal was WAY, WAY easier than any of the methods you just mentioned... I tried them all. It took me all of two minutes to trap my first Quetzal once I saw it flying by my base... alone.. on my Tapejara with only gates and no firearms needed (to down it).

I had a friend fly me on his platform, then i got one. I tried to fly with the quetzle with a argie on follow, and while chasing i would climb on argie and have quetzle follow in air, so that there is no ground time and you are constantly in the air. Not the most effective and a bit dangerous if you are in the air and dont land on quetz when you jump off argie. Bring parachutes lol. But I pretty much play by myself, so this is what i do.

• 5 months later...

Might have a good idea. My friend and I used a snow owl, he was gonna heal it because I damaged him with arrows and accidentally found that the quetzal will freeze and fall to the ground, we quickly capitalized and trapped it with Beh gates, 3 exactly. His owl had hi Stam which gave me enough time to put the gates up. Let me know if this helps.

On 3/15/2019 at 1:31 PM, DeHammer said:

There's a joke that goes like this... "How to Make a Million Dollars. Step 1: Get a million dollars". That's what its like when I search YouTube for 'Quetzal Traps'. Nearly all of them require that you already have a Quetzal on which to build a mobile platform trap. I had heard that its possible to trap a Quetzal by chasing it into some sort of trap located in the mountains. This seems somewhat plausible as I know I've chased them into the mountains before and found they fly quite close to the ground level of the mountain tops. I've even seen them snag up on rocks before. Maybe a person could try to get a Quetzal snagged up on rocks, then place down stone dino doorway frames to keep it in place?

What is the best way to trap a Quetzal, assuming that you don't already have access to a Quetzal?

There's really isn't a best way. Trying to catch a quetzal with a ground based trap, or trying to get it stuck on some rocks, is just a great way to frustrate yourself to death. You'll almost certainly have better luck just chasing one around the map until you finally knock it out.

What you want to do is start by taming a low level quetzal, like Lvl 20-30, to build your quetzal trap on. That way, if it doesn't work you won't lose much, there will be plenty more low level quetzals that spawn. Your first quetzal will involve a lot of flying around, trying to find good spots to land and shoot it from, and then hoping that when you finally knock it out it lands in a safe place.

Yesterday I tried the Argy/parachute method. 200 darts and 20 parachutes but no success. I had the impression the range of the rifle is too short because most of the shots didn't hit. After reading the comments now I think it must be this hitbox issue. I'll try again with a griffin or tapejara and crossbow.

11 hours ago, MshrmCldLyr said:

Might have a good idea. My friend and I used a snow owl, he was gonna heal it because I damaged him with arrows and accidentally found that the quetzal will freeze and fall to the ground, we quickly capitalized and trapped it with Beh gates, 3 exactly. His owl had hi Stam which gave me enough time to put the gates up. Let me know if this helps.

Good idea that, wasn't possible before because of being dismounted when you did the freeze attack, now that's been changed it could be the best solo method for quetz taming, gonna give it a try later today

13 hours ago, Pipinghot said:

There's really isn't a best way. Trying to catch a quetzal with a ground based trap, or trying to get it stuck on some rocks, is just a great way to frustrate yourself to death. You'll almost certainly have better luck just chasing one around the map until you finally knock it out.

Nope and nope. That's an old post you replied to. Since that time I've tamed many a Quetzal. The easiest tames were simply grounding one on a hill or chasing one into a cliff side, then gating/KOing.

Second easiest, but most exciting was Quetzal trap in mid-air.

The Snow Owl method was mentioned in previous posts and will now probably be the easiest method. I haven't tried it yet, but it's been discussed in several other threads as well. 

4 hours ago, DeHammer said:

Nope and nope. That's an old post you replied to. Since that time I've tamed many a Quetzal. The easiest tames were simply grounding one on a hill or chasing one into a cliff side, then gating/KOing.

Then you must have gotten much luckier than I with using glitch techniques to tame them. So grats for that, glad it worked out for you.

On 9/20/2019 at 1:32 PM, Pipinghot said:

Then you must have gotten much luckier than I with using glitch techniques to tame them. So grats for that, glad it worked out for you.

Not glitch techniques. It's a matter of studying the behavior of the creature. I'm playing on Ragnarok near the mountains. They are constantly flying up and down around the mountains and under AI control, they tend to have to move forward to gain altitude.  Since they can easily come up against something that prevents them from moving forward, they also can't easily climb. You can easily scare one toward a cliff side, where it will sit there flying against the cliff. You can also fly something over them to prevent them from climbing when they are flying against a slowly climbing hillside. It's not a glitch, it's just taking advantage of game physics and creature behavior & limitations. I've tamed at least a half dozen Quetzals this way, in a fairly short period of time (stopped taming them since I landed a lvl 180 Tek Quetzal breeeder).

7 minutes ago, DeHammer said:

I'm playing on Ragnarok near the mountains.

Yeah, that makes sense. I've been on the island for a long time and I forgot that there are better opportunities for using terrain with quetzal taming on Ragnarok.

7 minutes ago, DeHammer said:

Not glitch techniques. It's a matter of studying the behavior of the creature. I'm playing on Ragnarok near the mountains. They are constantly flying up and down around the mountains and under AI control, they tend to have to move forward to gain altitude.  Since they can easily come up against something that prevents them from moving forward, they also can't easily climb. You can easily scare one toward a cliff side, where it will sit there flying against the cliff.

Most people still call this "glitching into the terrain". For some reason, in ARK the pathing logic allows animals to get stuck in terrain a lot. While that's definitely not cheating (I want to make it clear that I was not, and am not, accusing you of anything bad) it's still taking advantage of a glitch in the game caused by poor pathing logic.

Archived