Quetzal Trap

DeHammer

• Volunteer Moderator
22 minutes ago, Onimusha759 said:

Whoa shoa, i never said u could pilot the tapa and shoot at same time.  I hav sat in the passenger seat of a tapa and commanded it to attack a quetz which caused it to autopilot chase it.  Dont bend my words or put new 1s in my mouth.  Never said u can pilot and shoot.

You are right, sorry. That was arrojado1200 that said that if he doesn't have a Griffin he could use a Tapejara in the quote there:

I thought it was you, because you are the one that posted prior to that post. I overlooked it, that's all; no need to be on the defensive. ;)

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply
6 hours ago, DeHammer said:

I have to tame it SOLO. It's too difficult getting others on board for the Quetzal when I want to do it. 

Anyways, I did. Tamed one solo. Lvl 100 Quetzal. Just now. Wasn't so hard.

I spotted a Quetzal near my base and decided to try something I had been considering. I jumped on my Tapejara. I then flew over the Quetzal and kept my Tapejara hovering over it, trying to apply some downward pressure on the Quetzal, while I held a dino door frame ready for placement. After a few minutes it was quite low to the ground and I simply dropped a door frame in front of it. Since it was trying to fly through the door frame and couldn't move, it was easy to fence it in on all sides with more dino door frames. KO'd it with tranq darts and tamed with mutton. 

20190316003841_1.jpg

20190316004051_1.jpg

Congratulations!  That was good thinking.  It definitely shows me that it's possible,  Enjoy your new Quetzal!

For anyone who might try this, I should add a couple of things... its not so much that my Tapejara could noticeably force the Quetzal down, but more that the Queztal wasn't able to move upwards. You can see the slope on the hill in the image below. So when it changed direction and moved into a climbing hill location, it was basically running into the ground. Also, after I began to shoot the Quetzal, I noticed that it can pretty much turn 360 degrees on a dime. When you're flying them they can also turn very sharp, but hemmed in by the gates it was basically able to spin around in any direction. So the gates on every side is vital. Also, although the 'hit box' thing while it flying is definitely an issue.. its so much easier when you can hit it in the head with every shot... the fast torpidity drain of the Quetzal was also very obvious, even with every shot being a bullseye. So I think both of these are major factors when trying to shoot them in flight.

20190316005059_1.jpg

7 hours ago, choroni said:

Congratulations!  That was good thinking.  It definitely shows me that it's possible,  Enjoy your new Quetzal!

I dont even kno how any1 could do that.  The quetzals altitude mechanic forces it to b a certain distance above the ground.  Ull notice whenever the ground goes up or down, b it a cliff or a large hump the quetz will go up or dip down to match it.  The height the quetz flies at is well above even what a behemoth can reach.  So that pic should b impossible.  Also notice these pics hav mods in it which could change things accidentally.  Iv never seen quetz hit ground, iv seen em hit pillars lik on the center, but never the actual ground.  Im open to the possibility that the quetz has been adjusted by updates but iv heard nothing of it.  So afaik this shouldnt b possible @DeHammer

11 hours ago, invincibleqc said:

You are right, sorry. That was arrojado1200 that said that if he doesn't have a Griffin he could use a Tapejara in the quote there:

I thought it was you, because you are the one that posted prior to that post. I overlooked it, that's all; no need to be on the defensive. ;)

Its all good invinc, its just when a mod says ur full of crap it can destroy ur credibility which is probably the most importent thing on a forum lol.

So I built a 'Quetzal trap' on my first Quetza;s' platform and put it to the test, capturing and taming a Level 145 Quetzal. At first I was puzzled why I could not trap any flying Quetzals... they kept just passing right through the model of my Quetzal + platform based trap. Then I read online that they will pass right through you... until to dismount the reins of your Quetzal, at which point your Quetzal stops completely and stays in place and the 'trapped' Quetzal will truely be trapped inside your trap. That all worked. However, after KOing the new Quetzal, its body fell limp on the floor of my platform, then slid forward toward the head of my flying Quetzal, and right off the platform. My Quetzal was stopped in place, but holding the platform at a bit of a slope. The KO'd Quetzal fell to the ground, but thankfully in an area with only peaceful dino. So I was able to finish the tame. 

I modified the Quetzal trap to include some wall pieces to keep the next KO'd Quetzal from sliding off the edge of the platform, but do you think it will work or will it still slide off? 

20190316161846_1.jpg

1 hour ago, DeHammer said:

So I built a 'Quetzal trap' on my first Quetza;s' platform and put it to the test, capturing and taming a Level 145 Quetzal. At first I was puzzled why I could not trap any flying Quetzals... they kept just passing right through the model of my Quetzal + platform based trap. Then I read online that they will pass right through you... until to dismount the reins of your Quetzal, at which point your Quetzal stops completely and stays in place and the 'trapped' Quetzal will truely be trapped inside your trap. That all worked. However, after KOing the new Quetzal, its body fell limp on the floor of my platform, then slid forward toward the head of my flying Quetzal, and right off the platform. My Quetzal was stopped in place, but holding the platform at a bit of a slope. The KO'd Quetzal fell to the ground, but thankfully in an area with only peaceful dino. So I was able to finish the tame. 

I modified the Quetzal trap to include some wall pieces to keep the next KO'd Quetzal from sliding off the edge of the platform, but do you think it will work or will it still slide off? 

20190316161846_1.jpg

Once ko'd it will fall out, u cant stop that

17 hours ago, DeHammer said:

I have to tame it SOLO. It's too difficult getting others on board for the Quetzal when I want to do it. 

Anyways, I did. Tamed one solo. Lvl 100 Quetzal. Just now. Wasn't so hard.

I spotted a Quetzal near my base and decided to try something I had been considering. I jumped on my Tapejara. I then flew over the Quetzal and kept my Tapejara hovering over it, trying to apply some downward pressure on the Quetzal, while I held a dino door frame ready for placement. After a few minutes it was quite low to the ground and I simply dropped a door frame in front of it. Since it was trying to fly through the door frame and couldn't move, it was easy to fence it in on all sides with more dino door frames. KO'd it with tranq darts and tamed with mutton. 

20190316003841_1.jpg

20190316004051_1.jpg

Nice, very interesting strategy.  Like Onimusha said, I'm not sure I've ever seen a quetzal get low enough for that to be possible. I'm very curious now and might try this on official just to see if it's possible.

16 minutes ago, Onimusha759 said:

Once ko'd it will fall out, u cant stop that

I've never had one fall out except of course if I remounted my quetz, most recent I've done was probably a month ago or a little less.  The trap I use looks pretty different from his though, although you obviously can't see the whole trap on his screenshot so I'm curious how many foundations/ceilings are on the bottom.  I started typing this then had something come up though lol, I'll see in a little if I can find the video that shows the trap I use.

6 minutes ago, iHartOvi8 said:

Nice, very interesting strategy.  Like Onimusha said, I'm not sure I've ever seen a quetzal get low enough for that to be possible. I'm very curious now and might try this on official just to see if it's possible.

I've never had one fall out except of course if I remounted my quetz, most recent I've done was probably a month ago or a little less.  The trap I use looks pretty different from his though, although you obviously can't see the whole trap on his screenshot so I'm curious how many foundations/ceilings are on the bottom.  I started typing this then had something come up though lol, I'll see in a little if I can find the video that shows the trap I use.

Ive never heard of anyone ever keep 1 in the trap.  Granted i haven't quetz hunted in over a year and i haven't heard any news from anyone besides u saying otherwise.  What im used to seeing is as soon as it ko's it falls to the ground thru the quetz.  If theres a way to keep it up id gladly try it tho :)

On 3/15/2019 at 11:15 AM, Onimusha759 said:

Frankly quetz hav a lot of health, id use a highpowered crossbow.  It reloads every 2 secs allowing u to pelt it repeatedly and therefore save up torpor to avoid losing any.  Not to mention normal darts only hav a 50% gain over the crossbow for 3x the narco plus metal.  Then facter the crossbow bow shoots 2x faster and the crossbow is more efficient time and resource wise.  Simply pelt it the number needed, mayb a couple extra to speed up the ko and as a just in case, thn just follow it til it drops

Time tested and mother approved. Crossbow all the way. You get 100 torp for every arrow, plus whatever torp ticks up before your next arrow hits (not worth timing out the 5 secs, just nail it every time you reload(like Onim said, very high health). Be below it and aim for the belly/head.

1 hour ago, Onimusha759 said:

Ive never heard of anyone ever keep 1 in the trap.  Granted i haven't quetz hunted in over a year and i haven't heard any news from anyone besides u saying otherwise.  What im used to seeing is as soon as it ko's it falls to the ground thru the quetz.  If theres a way to keep it up id gladly try it tho :)

Yeah the only times I've ever let it drop is one time when I realized I forgot something, and when I've helped others get one KO'd. I'm fine with trapping it for them once they find one but I'm obviously not gonna sit there with them for the whole tame lol.  This is just like the trap I use.

1. Find a Quetzal
  2. Get an Argy or a Tapejara
  3. Craft some grappling hooks and tranq darts
  4. Grapple to your flying mount
  5. Set mount to attack the quetzal
  6. As soon as you are close enough set passive and shoot
  7. When it flys away, wait until it calms down, set attack my target, passive and shoot
  8. Repeat until it is down
  9. Tame it with the desired food
  10. Tamed Quetzal
  11. Profit?

7 hours ago, BlueberryJackal said:
  1. Find a Quetzal
  2. Get an Argy or a Tapejara
  3. Craft some grappling hooks and tranq darts
  4. Grapple to your flying mount
  5. Set mount to attack the quetzal
  6. As soon as you are close enough set passive and shoot
  7. When it flys away, wait until it calms down, set attack my target, passive and shoot
  8. Repeat until it is down
  9. Tame it with the desired food
  10. Tamed Quetzal
  11. Profit?

Ive used this method b4 but it has a high fail probability because 1 ull lose all the torpor waiting for it to calm down, i didnt wait thus why it worked better, 2 because of the drain and misses ull likely kill it b4 it kos

I find that the tapa has wierd desyncing with shots alot, i use a argent carry method with a stamina argent. fly right above and slightly behind it, keep shooting it.  part of the wierdness of the ai for quetzals is that their "flee" ai makes them flee towards the center of their spawn region which is almost always 50, 50 for quetzals.  on extinction i usually just whack them occasionally with my owl until they end up in the city then down them by bombing them with an owl to force them to fall, then i quickly snap gates on top of it.   if you don't wan't to snap gates you can use a velonosaurus that is bred down to no levels into damage to keep the quetzal grounded without killing it.

8 hours ago, Whipples said:

Made a little video showing that you can't hit poop from a Tap...

Front or back, you miss about 90% of the time. Can't figure out the mechanic, but it seems intentional.

I haven't tried taming 1 in about a year with a tapa so im curious to see if they changed something.  Iv never had a problem hitting 1 from my tapa so im a lil confused to every1 saying that theyre having trouble.

On 3/17/2019 at 7:43 AM, Onimusha759 said:

@DeHammerr u trying to say the quetz was at a pitch aka aiming downward?

No, not that I noticed. But it was flying in a hilly area and keeping my Tapejara 'on' it seemed to keep it from gaining any more altitude when it turned into the hill. As the hill climbed underneath it, I just sat over it until it was about to run into ground and placed a dino gateway down.

Edit: Sorry forgot to include this first time around so you get the reply alert... @Onimusha759

11 hours ago, Nuggie said:

Good job and good tactic. Hadn't thought of trying to "steer" one before.

To clarify, it was steering itself, but I just stayed over it as it changed directions, until it changed direction into a hill. Since I was 'on it', it couldn't gain altitude as the hill rose up higher, until it eventually was about to run into ground. At which point I placed the gateway in front of it. 

On 3/16/2019 at 3:52 PM, Onimusha759 said:

I dont even kno how any1 could do that.  The quetzals altitude mechanic forces it to b a certain distance above the ground.  Ull notice whenever the ground goes up or down, b it a cliff or a large hump the quetz will go up or dip down to match it.  The height the quetz flies at is well above even what a behemoth can reach.  So that pic should b impossible.  Also notice these pics hav mods in it which could change things accidentally.  Iv never seen quetz hit ground, iv seen em hit pillars lik on the center, but never the actual ground.  Im open to the possibility that the quetz has been adjusted by updates but iv heard nothing of it.  So afaik this shouldnt b possible @DeHammer

Its all good invinc, its just when a mod says ur full of crap it can destroy ur credibility which is probably the most importent thing on a forum lol.

We're running a few mods like Classic Fliers, S+, and Giga Chill Pill. The entire rational for my initial post was based on observing the Quetzal behavior and a few comments by others (in other threads) about building 'traps' in the mountains. During my last attempt to down a Quetzal in flight by shooting from a Tapejara, I noticed the Quetzal actually got stuck momentarily on the rocks of a mountain peak. It was trying to gain altitude, but wasn't gaining it fast enough for the steep cliff face it had steered into. That's what gave the idea initially. I was watching it and thinking "darn, wish I had some dino gateways right now". It was only stuck until it changed direction again. But that gave me the idea. 

I had watched Quetzals climb the same hill I did the capture on before. They definitely gained altitude as the hill climbed. So during the capture, it's running into the ground there was pretty certainly a result of my Tapejara just not letting it move upward like it wanted to. 

What I would suggest is take a Tapejara on your server, fly over a Quetzal, staying with it carefully and applying some downward pressure as you are able. As the Quetzal tries to change altitude, you'll notice that although you can't push it down, see if you can keep it from climbing. It definitely worked for me. 

If you look in this picture, about where my crossbow cross hairs are pointing, is where I first started flying over the Quetzal with my Tapejara. It was flying at its normal height from the ground at that point, a bit higher than my base you see in the background. The altitude of the Quetzal didn't noticeably change from that point to capture. As it flew toward the hill, and the hill rose beneath it,  my Tapejara clearly had an impact on its ability to climb with the hill. 

20190316004959_1.jpg

Archived