Quetzal Trap

DeHammer

There's a joke that goes like this... "How to Make a Million Dollars. Step 1: Get a million dollars". That's what its like when I search YouTube for 'Quetzal Traps'. Nearly all of them require that you already have a Quetzal on which to build a mobile platform trap. I had heard that its possible to trap a Quetzal by chasing it into some sort of trap located in the mountains. This seems somewhat plausible as I know I've chased them into the mountains before and found they fly quite close to the ground level of the mountain tops. I've even seen them snag up on rocks before. Maybe a person could try to get a Quetzal snagged up on rocks, then place down stone dino doorway frames to keep it in place?

What is the best way to trap a Quetzal, assuming that you don't already have access to a Quetzal?

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, arrojado1200 said:

If you do not have a Griffin, you can use a Tapejara.

Good Luck

Yea, I actually do have Tapejaras, and we have tried tranqing a Quetzal from the Tapejara. Unfortunately, we found that even though almost every tranq dart appears to hit the Quetzal (close range, red mark appears to indicate a hit), the torpidity of the Quetzal is barely touched. For instance, on two occasions we shot more than 80 tranq darts into a Quetzal, but its torpidity was only at 3000 of 18,000. I suspect there's an issue where it appears to hit, but the server only registers hits on one in every 4-5 shots. I have same issue with my poison wyvern and larger dinos like Brontos or Gigas. Direct hits on the broadside don't register any damage. So this is why I'm looking into traps as opposed to just tranqing a Quetzal in flight. 

26 minutes ago, DeHammer said:

There's a joke that goes like this... "How to Make a Million Dollars. Step 1: Get a million dollars". That's what its like when I search YouTube for 'Quetzal Traps'. Nearly all of them require that you already have a Quetzal on which to build a mobile platform trap. I had heard that its possible to trap a Quetzal by chasing it into some sort of trap located in the mountains. This seems somewhat plausible as I know I've chased them into the mountains before and found they fly quite close to the ground level of the mountain tops. I've even seen them snag up on rocks before. Maybe a person could try to get a Quetzal snagged up on rocks, then place down stone dino doorway frames to keep it in place?

What is the best way to trap a Quetzal, assuming that you don't already have access to a Quetzal?

If u want a legit trap for it u could build a trap on the ground with a ceiling and fly up to the quetz.  Once up to it eat a rare flower which causes even passive creatures to aggro on u. Lead it into the trap.  Iv nvr tried this but iv heared it mentioned b4.  I personally just use a tapa.

1 minute ago, Onimusha759 said:

If u want a legit trap for it u could build a trap on the ground with a ceiling and fly up to the quetz.  Once up to it eat a rare flower which causes even passive creatures to aggro on u. Lead it into the trap.  Iv nvr tried this but iv heared it mentioned b4.  I personally just use a tapa.

Unfortunately, the Quetzals don't get aggro'd by the rare flower. 

1 minute ago, DeHammer said:

Yea, I actually do have Tapejaras, and we have tried tranqing a Quetzal from the Tapejara. Unfortunately, we found that even though almost every tranq dart appears to hit the Quetzal (close range, red mark appears to indicate a hit), the torpidity of the Quetzal is barely touched. For instance, on two occasions we shot more than 80 tranq darts into a Quetzal, but its torpidity was only at 3000 of 18,000. I suspect there's an issue where it appears to hit, but the server only registers hits on one in every 4-5 shots. I have same issue with my poison wyvern and larger dinos like Brontos or Gigas. Direct hits on the broadside don't register any damage. So this is why I'm looking into traps as opposed to just tranqing a Quetzal in flight. 

No, like a giga the quetz has a huge torpor drain rate.  If u fail to hit it b4 every 5 secs itll drain torpor massively.  It takes a longneck nearly 5secs to reload, if ur using a longneck u hav to hit as soon as ur reload is done or u lose a lot of torpor

No, like a giga the quetz has a huge torpor drain rate.  If u fail to hit it b4 every 5 secs itll drain torpor massively.  It takes a longneck nearly 5secs to reload, if ur using a longneck u hav to hit as soon as ur reload is done or u lose a lot of torpor

Ah, good to know... so we probably need two shooters on the Tapejara, or maybe even two Tapejaras with multiple shooters. Our tribe is very small... 4-5 guys actively playing and working together on certain projects when we happen to be on together. Most of the time I'm playing solo. Thus the trap idea. 

Ah, good to know... so we probably need two shooters on the Tapejara, or maybe even two Tapejaras with multiple shooters. Our tribe is very small... 4-5 guys actively playing and working together on certain projects when we happen to be on together. Most of the time I'm playing solo. Thus the trap idea. 

Frankly quetz hav a lot of health, id use a highpowered crossbow.  It reloads every 2 secs allowing u to pelt it repeatedly and therefore save up torpor to avoid losing any.  Not to mention normal darts only hav a 50% gain over the crossbow for 3x the narco plus metal.  Then facter the crossbow bow shoots 2x faster and the crossbow is more efficient time and resource wise.  Simply pelt it the number needed, mayb a couple extra to speed up the ko and as a just in case, thn just follow it til it drops

5 minutes ago, Onimusha759 said:

Frankly quetz hav a lot of health, id use a highpowered crossbow.  It reloads every 2 secs allowing u to pelt it repeatedly and therefore save up torpor to avoid losing any.  Not to mention normal darts only hav a 50% gain over the crossbow for 3x the narco plus metal.  Then facter the crossbow bow shoots 2x faster and the crossbow is more efficient time and resource wise.  Simply pelt it the number needed, mayb a couple extra to speed up the ko and as a just in case, thn just follow it til it drops

I agree. Even if its not the perfect tame, I could then use it to do the quetzal platform trap and solo tame a higher level one. 

I've found that if you trap dinos so they can't move, its also much easier to knock them out. Galli's are a case in point. I've wasted 60 darts on a lvl 150 Galli in  pen, only to find its torpidity @ zero, but after hemming it into a corner with a couple of wall pieces, it only took 15 head shot darts to knock it out. 

I agree. Even if its not the perfect tame, I could then use it to do the quetzal platform trap and solo tame a higher level one. 

True, not that quetz r really worth anything since the nerf and tlc2.  The argent completely outdoes the quetz now, even for hauling and metal runs.  Just to make sure, u do realize the ko method has nothing to do with perfect taming right?  Only thing that matters is the food and not shooting it after it kos(Including midair fall)/keeping it safe from predators attacks.

True, not that quetz r really worth anything since the nerf and tlc2.  The argent completely outdoes the quetz now, even for hauling and metal runs.  Just to make sure, u do realize the ko method has nothing to do with perfect taming right?  Only thing that matters is the food and not shooting it after it kos(Including midair fall)/keeping it safe from predators attacks.

For us, we'd like the Quetzal for the ability to place a cannon on its platform, as a mobile taming method for certain larger creatures that require that sort of KO. Yes, I realize the darts vs arrows won't affect the tame quality, but I was referring to the fact we'd probably just go after any level of Quetzal we can find - as opposed to the difficulty of coordinating multiple players participating in a specific random find of a high level Queztal. 

For us, we'd like the Quetzal for the ability to place a cannon on its platform, as a mobile taming method for certain larger creatures that require that sort of KO. Yes, I realize the darts vs arrows won't affect the tame quality, but I was referring to the fact we'd probably just go after any level of Quetzal we can find - as opposed to the difficulty of coordinating multiple players participating in a specific random find of a high level Queztal. 

Ah ur after a titano lol, yes id hav a high lvl quetz for that for sure.  Ok good, just checking.  As for the longneck, id leave it at home til u get the shockdart.  Only with that dart can the longneck outperform the crossbow, provided the longneck grade is comparable to the crossbow's.

Thanks for the reminder, I always forget that. And yes, you've been a big help. 

Ive tamed just about everything solo in ark, aka the hardway, so if u ever need any help u can msg me here in the community or if ur on ps4 u could drop me a msg there.  My gamertag is the same as my username here.  U can follow me on the community to if u so choose.

43 minutes ago, DeHammer said:

I responded to you on reddit, not sure if you saw.. make sure you stop before shooting the quetz from moving dinos, this will solve your no hit problem

9 minutes ago, d1nk said:

I responded to you on reddit, not sure if you saw.. make sure you stop before shooting the quetz from moving dinos, this will solve your no hit problem

Interesting, on two counts.... good to know about the having to stop before shooting from moving dinos. Do you know if the same applies to poison wyverns shooting poison balls? 

Also interesting because I don't post on Reddit. 

18 minutes ago, DeHammer said:

Interesting, on two counts.... good to know about the having to stop before shooting from moving dinos. Do you know if the same applies to poison wyverns shooting poison balls? 

Also interesting because I don't post on Reddit. 

Then its a great coincidence because someone posted almost the same thing yesterday. So take the advice and implement it then :P 

Yes, applies to shooting anything off anything moving (even land dinos, while gliding, parachute etc) its ARK's hitscan system

1 hour ago, DeHammer said:

Its not the torpor, its the Quetzles hitbox. Their hit box is really, really messed up. I actually just tranqed one out last night solo via the Tapejara method. It was supposed to only needed 15 hits with shocking darts to knock it out. It ended up taking well over 70 shots to bring it down. This was on a private server that shows damage numbers.  While I saw the red hit marker constantly, damage number rarely appeared and only shots showing numbers actually counted.

Anyone who doesn't believe me or is telling you otherwise should try on a server that shows damage numbers. The Quetz hitbox has always been a nightmare. Near as I can figure, there was supposed to be something with the wings blocking shots, but who knows. I had the best luck shooting at it from directly behind it, if you are on the side don't waste your ammo. It was also very rare to get two shots that counted in a row so be patient and don't try to go fast. If you don't see the damage numbers, its going to be a total crap shoot whether you are hitting it or not, so bring many, many, many extra darts/arrows!!!

Just now, Whipples said:

Its not the torpor, its the Quetzles hitbox. Their hit box is really, really messed up. I actually just tranqed one out last night solo via the Tapejara method. It was supposed to only needed 15 hits with shocking darts to knock it out. It ended up taking well over 70 shots to bring it down. This was on a private server that shows damage numbers.  While I saw the red hit marker constantly, damage number rarely appeared and only shots showing numbers actually counted.

Anyone who doesn't believe me or is telling you otherwise should try on a server that shows damage numbers. The Quetz hitbox has always been a nightmare. Near as I can figure, there was supposed to be something with the wings blocking shots, but who knows. I had the best luck shooting at it from directly behind it, if you are on the side don't waste your ammo. It was also very rare to get two shots that counted in a row so be patient and don't try to go fast. If you don't see the damage numbers, its going to be a total crap shoot whether you are hitting it or not, so bring many, many, many extra darts/arrows!!!

I dont hav trouble hitting them and i do use floating dmg.  I found out for me it was the torpor drain.  He did say the hit marker showed so the game registered the hit.

2 minutes ago, Whipples said:

Were you moving? You need to come to a complete stop before. 

*solo tamed many-a-quetz - On official, private servers and single player. Yes, there is a small problem with its' wings blocking hit box, even with that if you hit the wings it does count. Did it just last month to confirm

Archived