Building in ark tips and tricks.

ArkafterDark

I decided to try out the new extinction map especially since I wanted to try to build with the new S+ items that were incorporated into ark recently. So I found a spot up in the air and I decided I wanted to use cliff platforms to make it just a little bigger and for a few other reasons. 

So in trying to figure out how to build on the cliff platform I turned to YouTube and one builder I like named GG Fizz. He shows you to put two fence foundations down and then put pillars on each end and then go all the way around like that. Then you can put a wall below on the outside, and that allows you to place floor/ceiling tiles on the inside. But in the game it will only let me go two tiles in from the outter walls before it says it has no foundation support. I've seen him build all the way across, I'm just not sure how. Because I don't have floor tiles down it won't let me a roof on the place so idk what to do.

So does anyone have any tips, or tricks, on how I can do this, or any tips on building on cliff platforms?

~Ark after Dark~

6 hours ago, choroni said:

I wish I knew!  That "no foundation support" is the bane of my existence in Ark.

5 hours ago, PQQT said:

Same here brotha. 

Glad I'm not the only one!

In a video that GGFizz made he says the fact that the cliff platform has no snap points is a good thing, because it allows you to kinda make your own design. In a way, I can see his reasoning. However at the same time not having snap points makes it a little more difficult I think.

I think that at the very least the cliff platforms sould act as a foundation, even if it has no snap points so you can do your own design, it should still let us tile it all the way across the platform as if it were a foundation and didn't need extra support.

The only thing I can figure out to do at this point is just go under the cliff platform and throw a bunch of pillars under it to make some support. It just sucks doing this, because now I will have chunks of pillars sticking up all over the place through my floor, since the pillars don't line up flush with the floor/ceiling tiles.

SMH!

It might work having the pillars in the beginning just while you are building the foundations and such, then you might be able to remove them afterwards and not have the structure collapse. I would say test it first either with a few foundations and pillars or just in single player and see if after you have done your build if removing some of the pillars causes issues, if not then yeah just spam the pillars while you build and then remove when done

6 minutes ago, HoboNation said:

It might work having the pillars in the beginning just while you are building the foundations and such, then you might be able to remove them afterwards and not have the structure collapse. I would say test it first either with a few foundations and pillars or just in single player and see if after you have done your build if removing some of the pillars causes issues, if not then yeah just spam the pillars while you build and then remove when done.

I doubt that the tiles will stay. More than likely they will fall like it does when you remove a pillar that's holding up part of your ceiling. Unfortunately. 

Still I will try and see what happens. I have already put a bunch of pillars in, so really all I have to do is go in and try to remove one and see if they stay up or not.

So I will let you know the next time I play.

But in the meantime, is there anyone else out there with any other ideas, or tips, or tricks? If so please let me know.

Copied from steamcommunity:

"right at the bottom of your gameusersettings file under the s+ heading, type NoFoundationsRequired=true....if you dont have the heading there, put it in as well....

[StructuresPlus]
NoFoundationsRequired=true

you still need to put one foundation,pillar etc to start off with but this can then just be removed"

This will allow you to build out ceilings and other things without foundation support as far as you like. If you remove this setting all your buildings will break through.

4 minutes ago, Guardianangel93 said:

Copied from steamcommunity:

"right at the bottom of your gameusersettings file under the s+ heading, type NoFoundationsRequired=true....if you dont have the heading there, put it in as well....

[StructuresPlus]
NoFoundationsRequired=true
you still need to put one foundation,pillar etc to start off with but this can then just be removed"

This will allow you to build out ceilings and other things without foundation support as far as you like. If you remove this setting all your buildings will break through.

I don't play on PC, I play on my PS4. So unfortunately I can't go into, edit, or make any changes to any files.

So unless it can be done as an admin command or some other type of command that I can type into the "cheat bar" I can't do that.

Thanks for trying though! A for effort!

~ArkafterDark~ 

On Friday, March 15, 2019 at 4:35 AM, ArkafterDark said:

I doubt that the tiles will stay. More than likely they will fall like it does when you remove a pillar that's holding up part of your ceiling. Unfortunately. 

Still I will try and see what happens. I have already put a bunch of pillars in, so really all I have to do is go in and try to remove one and see if they stay up or not.

So I will let you know the next time I play.

But in the meantime, is there anyone else out there with any other ideas, or tips, or tricks? If so please let me know.

Place all your pillars all around, demolish all the ceilings and place new ceilings ontop the pillars, ceiling the whole thing. Youll have a sub floor aswell where you can put all your wiring / piping

7 minutes ago, d1nk said:

Place all your pillars all around, demolish all the ceilings and place new ceilings ontop the pillars, ceiling the whole thing. Youll have a sub floor aswell where you can put all your wiring / piping

This works really well when building on platforms - this is how I did my redwoods tree platform base after watching an Aaron Longstaff youtube video. The pillars have various snap points, allowing for various "heights" of floating subfloors, but if you set ceilings at the top height of the pillar, you have a large space under your floor that you can hide all sorts of things in.

• Volunteer Moderator
10 minutes ago, d1nk said:

Or pick back the same ceiling every pillar you place. ?

5 hours ago, d1nk said:

Right... I did this with my old base on the island I had my foundations with electric and water running on them then a ceiling tile on top to hide it all.

5 hours ago, d1nk said:

Wasnt sure how his pickup rules were

The game gives me like 30 seconds I'm trying to figure out if I can adjust the times for that or not.

One thing someone suggested somewhere else was if you put a foundation block down. Then stick a pillar in the center. You can then place a foundation block next to it and it will snap down one unit lower.... You can then pick up or demolish the first foundation and pillar, then stick a pillar in the new loser foundation and repeat. Doing this I was able to out foundation tiles down low to the point I couldn't even pick them up from on top I had to go under to do it.

Then I was having problems getting everything to line up and in a video I watched on YouTube I found out it's because the stone cliff platform has uneven sections, where as the metal one has even sections. And the best way is to go one time out from the edge and connect it to the other. This video was done without the homestead update so I think maybe I might be able to make it look even better with the new items.

Thanks everyone for all your help, ideas, and suggestions! I really appreciate it!

~ArkafterDark~

Archived