Getting insided

Airsooner

3 hours ago, 20GT said:

Complaining about insiding is like complaining about getting killed by trying to tame a giga with a club. 

Use the correct tools to protect yourself. 

Giga taming - use shocking darts and a high rifle or die. 

Accepting people into your tribe -  use the tribe ranking system or wish you were dead. 

It's not Wildcard's fault if you eat with your fingers instead of using the silverware they gave you. 

It's not Wildcard's fault that you don't use the correct tools. 

I agree, 20GT.  It sucks, but on PvP you get what you pay for, essentially.  You have to watch your ass, and be on the defensive pretty much at all time.  Paranoia helps you survive.  Most times, NOT making random friends actually keeps you safer, even if the friends are the "Alpha" of the server (meaning the most prolific Managarmr-noob-slayers) you are asking for trouble.  When people know where your base is, you are now a target and it will be a matter of days before you are attacked.  You might survive, but most times the attackers offline-raid you and bring a nuclear warhead to a fistfight, so you stand zero chance.

Well, with everything but using shock darts on a Giga!

Ok ok I can see the tribe rank system not working when you have a bad falling out with someone close to you that turns ugly. 

But I'm sure Wildcard  is purposely not dealing with it because it would open a much bigger can of worms for them. 

They just can't deal punishment willy nilly and having to play judge for thousands of players isn't what they intended for this game. 

They possibly would need a whole separate judicial system because of all the kiting and insiding. Because kiting I'm sure is next on the list of offensive activities. 

2 hours ago, 20GT said:

Here's a question: What if you are insided by your wife, when you are at work, with your own character, because you spend too too much time playing Ark.

Do you divorce her? 

I would not underestimate the power of an addiction. He may in fact use that as a reason to divorce her if he is already spending more time in Ark than with her. 

insiding is legit tactic. you invite . you deal with aftermath . simples . ive been insided for 89 dino and demolished structures in process before cryos were added making it even easier , not cool and heart breaking but it took a while to accept , but lesson learned and im stronger now . look . its just a game , and I play everyday , never invite strangers or even trusted people lol . it can work , I play with a dutch friend I met on ark , we merged and im so happy I did . we let a person who played on our sever for a long time join us and after a long time , he robbed us . now . no one is getting in . and we don't alliance . why ? because another tactic is you alliance with a tribe you may trust and they have someone create another tribe , alliance with each other and then declare war on each other and then come raid your base on pve . playing by rules and assuming everyone else does and wc will always have your back is stupid . to original op . sorry but you just have to learn and move on . nothing will be done.

On 3/15/2019 at 8:09 AM, HoboNation said:

You can pretty much make it that the only way they could screw you over would be to essentially build their own fabricator and farm their own resource to then eventually blow in, and in this case they may as well have just done that without joining your tribe so it makes them insiding you kind of pointless.

You make a good point, but I see one thing going unaddressed - while them farming to get the resources needed to blow a hole into the main base can be done equally well with or without being in the tribe... it does make a difference when they get into the base and the turrets won't shoot at someone in the tribe :/ That way they can bypass all your internal defenses much easier when in the tribe. So your strategy does help a bit, but not fully.

On 3/15/2019 at 12:54 AM, MackTheKnife said:

What the hell? You were trolling me and disliking my stuff the entire time , though you just admitted you agree with me to the point where you banned it.

And I don't mind opposing views at all, but honestly something as damaging as insiding shouldn't just be a matter of opinion. You can think it does good in the long run,  but at the same time you cannot deny the extreme irreparable damage you've caused when you really didn't put any work into it. Just hold a button and click demolish.

I didn't really go off on anyone, I just pointed out how scummy their moves are and they deserve to be called out on it.

Alright. I understand why you feel insiding is hurtful because basically you grant your trust to someone and they betray you and violate that trust.  It can cause some pretty intense emotions and i feel bad for people it happens to.  Meshing is an activity that nobody really has control over and cannot really be defended against.  being insided is what happens when you either do not utilize the tools in place to prevent it or you have poor judgement of character.  I get it though we've all been betrayed by people before, even me.  but that was my failing, not the game's.

7 minutes ago, Kaprosuchus said:

Alright. I understand why you feel insiding is hurtful because basically you grant your trust to someone and they betray you and violate that trust.  It can cause some pretty intense emotions and i feel bad for people it happens to.  Meshing is an activity that nobody really has control over and cannot really be defended against.  being insided is what happens when you either do not utilize the tools in place to prevent it or you have poor judgement of character.  I get it though we've all been betrayed by people before, even me.  but that was my failing, not the game's.

I’ve never been insided but felt a pain similar to it on a grand scale. Ran a PvPvE server on Xbox a while back, baring in mind you couldn’t back up your data so roll backs weren’t a thing. 2 allianced tribes decided to quit the server, not before targeting and wiping every PvE tribe on the server to hurt the population for lols. Now imagine my position, I favoured alliances over ORP and that was my consequence. The community had put their trust into those people only to get royally stabbed in the back. That changed me as a host.

On 3/16/2019 at 9:03 PM, Zahlea said:

You make a good point, but I see one thing going unaddressed - while them farming to get the resources needed to blow a hole into the main base can be done equally well with or without being in the tribe... it does make a difference when they get into the base and the turrets won't shoot at someone in the tribe :/ That way they can bypass all your internal defenses much easier when in the tribe. So your strategy does help a bit, but not fully.

This is true and is sadly the unavoidable part. Only trust will help at this point and maybe being on alert with members you suspect may not have the best interests in the tribe at heart, perhaps with vigilance one could notice suspicious activity like memebers building a separate base with a fabi and such so it can be dealt with but this is not always going to be the case and no doubt someone trying to inside would be doing all they can to not appear suspicious at all.

I guess another method here would be concealment, so hiding important loot either off server or just in a location where even if a tribe member went rogue and blew into restricted areas they still would not easily find all the vital loot. Only having admins and trusted members know the whereabouts of the important loot and if any low level members get a bit too inquisitive they can then be monitored closer for suspicious behavior. There are many methods for hiding loot that can be deployed that work pretty well at hiding it from actual raiders, so I'm sure it would work equally as well for traitors and insiders. 

There is one situation that I make an exception for when inviting people I dont know to a tribe and actually trusting them right away, and that is when encountering another south african on EU servers, not only is this rare but something about the culture makes bonding with other south africans almost a given in such situations. Me and a friend have literally within meetin another south african found him brought him to the base invited him to the tribe and made him admin withing 5 minutes of talking in global server chat, and it never came to bite us in the ass nore did we ever fear it would.

When you meet south african players on ARK just know you are meeting some top character individuals, usually pretty trust worthy. It's rare but is indeed something special that strangers can develop such a close and almost instant bond just based on your nationality. It probably has a lot to do with there not being a heck of a lot of us playing ark and even less that play PVP on EU servers so when we find each other it's awesome.

On that note any south africans that play PVP EU that may stumble across this post, awe gents, hit me up if you ever keen to tribe up.

When you do multiplayer involving guilds or tribes, the component of human nature, relationships , trust and betrayal, and such becomes a significant factor, even beyond progression or battle strategy of the game.  It allows for a unique and powerful experience that can last well beyond the specific game.  Although I don't do multiplayer anymore, I still have long-time friendships that have continued even though I haven't played the specific games for years.  I'm not sure that it's possible to have a true "team" experience without risking betrayal, just as it is in the "real world".

38 minutes ago, choroni said:

When you do multiplayer involving guilds or tribes, the component of human nature, relationships , trust and betrayal, and such becomes a significant factor, even beyond progression or battle strategy of the game.  It allows for a unique and powerful experience that can last well beyond the specific game.  Although I don't do multiplayer anymore, I still have long-time friendships that have continued even though I haven't played the specific games for years.  I'm not sure that it's possible to have a true "team" experience without risking betrayal, just as it is in the "real world".

Well said. In ARK you have to put your trust in other people if you want to grow and become a strong tribe. People say ARK is a toxic game, yet I have made more friends playing official pvp than any other game in last 10 years.  The bonds you make playing official servers are incredibly stronger than I seen in other games. ARK makes you experience human nature in raw unfiltered form, while most games in this politically sensitive age are such a safe space that minimize human interaction to point it feels like you are playing with bots or NPCs. ARK has been an emotional rollercoaster ride but I am glad I experienced this amazing sandbox universe.

On 3/14/2019 at 3:58 PM, SaltyMonkey said:

Insiding is a perfectly legitimate PvP tactic as said by Wildcard themselves. Insiding is the same as being a mole, so not sure why you’re comparing it to meshing when its more like espionage.

lol, if real world espionage involves grabbing a pair of climbing picks and walking right through a solid 5 foot iron door or magically walking underground with an assult rifle then count me the truck in ?

1 minute ago, Kaprosuchus said:

failure at reading comprehension most likely

The OP’s that comment on their woes about insiding even going into details about what happened so I’m stunned to see other people being so oblivious, unless of course it’s because of their lack of reading comprehension as you put.

'Insiding' is a problem that society in real life is still working on fixing so I'm not sure what you're expecting, here. 

When you invite someone into your home, be it a house, neighborhood, or country, you are risking your own safety and security. The rewards generally outweigh the risks of befriending people because a group is way more capable of getting anything done. We all want security, but what makes the game fun is that it's not handed to us. 

I've never experienced this, or much of anything yet, but hearing about this makes me exciting because it's another great element of the game. I keep being sieged and pillaged by other people and it makes me work out solutions to prevent this and defend myself. It's exciting to think of how intricate and complicated it becomes to attain true security in the Ark. 

52 minutes ago, Kharneth said:

'Insiding' is a problem that society in real life is still working on fixing so I'm not sure what you're expecting, here. 

When you invite someone into your home, be it a house, neighborhood, or country, you are risking your own safety and security. The rewards generally outweigh the risks of befriending people because a group is way more capable of getting anything done. We all want security, but what makes the game fun is that it's not handed to us. 

I've never experienced this, or much of anything yet, but hearing about this makes me exciting because it's another great element of the game. I keep being sieged and pillaged by other people and it makes me work out solutions to prevent this and defend myself. It's exciting to think of how intricate and complicated it becomes to attain true security in the Ark. 

With all the outrage, sensitivity, and lack of even the understanding of personal responsibility, i like to see people who get excited at the prospect of conquering raw human interaction at it's best and worst.

Archived