tips plz

HomeLessFreak

Make a taming pen.  Go on youtube and get a design for a taming pen and build it.  Then tame a meat eating dino with meat from dodos and fish.  Other than that, have fun, keep your stuff organized, and download Dododex and SA Companion for your phone.  One other thing, be prepared to die, be frustrated with glitches, and Blue Screen.

7 minutes ago, HomeLessFreak said:

thanks. what dino do you suggest I tame. should I join a low, or high level tribe.

Tame a giga, they look big but are extremely easy to tame. Use a primitive crossbow so they don’t die to the high damage. You only need about 100 narcotics or so. It’s a great solo tame.

Join a large tribe with 100+ people so you can wipe everyone and justify your serial killer personality by saying “it’s pvp bruh”

28 minutes ago, HomeLessFreak said:

ok, but were exactly do I gigas? and what should I put my level into.

That was a joke, my friend. Gigas are very hard and impossible solo. I recommend the island, head to upper west coast where snow borders the sand. Make a small base, create metal tools and crossbow/narcotics for tranquilizer arrows. Make a small enclosed trap for a bird. Lure an Argentavis to your pen and shoot it with arrows. I like building with pillars so you can shoot from safety on the other side. 

After the Argy go somewhere more secluded and build up more. Tame an iguanodon first for berries and unlimited sprint. Use the iguana to get metal from the south, a Doedicurus , then Ankylosaurus. After that you’ll be fine.

9 minutes ago, HomeLessFreak said:

thanks for the info. But I've been having trouble with fiber, rock, and keratin is there an easier way to collect it?

Yes. Certain dinos excel at harvesting specific resources. DoedIcurus is for stone, therizinasaurus for fiber and their pretty good at keratin too. The official ark wiki and dododex.com are good places for info on ark and taming dinos

Start with a moschops. They are easy to tame, depending on the stuff they request. But as soon as you got one, you can harvest berries, fibre, meat, hide, thatch and wood. They also have a good melee damage. Just dont fight against raptors. they can pull you off and your moschops is going to run away. im speaking of experience.

17 minutes ago, BlueberryJackal said:

Start with a moschops. They are easy to tame, depending on the stuff they request. But as soon as you got one, you can harvest berries, fibre, meat, hide, thatch and wood. They also have a good melee damage. Just dont fight against raptors. they can pull you off and your moschops is going to run away. im speaking of experience.

yeah i recently restarted on rag, and i tamed a 145 moschops early on, now its over 200 and is dealing i think... 2500 dmg?

First thing to do is build your base.  It does not have to be big but it should be made of stone as quickly as you get the engrams.  To level up fast collect wood thatch and fiber and craft small storage boxes, many of them.  Crafting helps you to level and small storage boxes are easy.  When you level up enough get the spark powder and the narcotic engram.

In the mean time, tame several dodo birds, you can knock them out with your fists, when they are knocked out put a hundred or so mejo berries in them.  You need to have Narco berries on you (don't eat them)  put Narco berries in the birds inventory as the birds Torpor goes down, force feed them narco berries by highlighting the narco berries in the birds inventory (right hand side) and right trigger.  The bird will eat the mejo berries automatically as it needs.  When done name the bird if you like, pick it up and take it in your bldg.

You should have 1 male and 5 to 10 females.  This will allow you to collect their eggs which is used to make kibble to tame other things.

You will need the mortar and pestle.  Flint and stone make spark powder, this will keep preserving Bins cool so it slows the spoilage of food.  More importantly narco berries and spoiled meat will make Narcotics, with narcotics you can make Tranq Arrows to knock out other animals to tame.

When you have tranq arrows, knock out some dilos (They tame with raw meat)  You need 1 male and 5 to 10 females, their eggs make kibble to tame things like Doedic and Anky.  Kibble lets you tame things faster so you can get higher level animals capable of more weight/Damage/Speed etc.  But, if you have time, you can use Berries or Meat to tame depending on the animal.

Once you have narcotics and tranq arrows you should tame a Trike, this will enable you to collect berries in bulk.  Keep making narcotics it will level you very fast.

Make a few Bolas 10 to 20

Next to tame should be a pteranodon, these are easy find a high level (if you have time) walk up to them, use your bola to capture and hold for a short period then shoot tranq arrow at head till it drops.  Add meat to its inventory and watch the torpor and feed narcotic or narcoberries as the torpor goes down.  It will eat the meat when its food level drops enough. 

The Pteranodon is a quick way to fly across the map, the higher the level you get, the more weight it can carry and the better it's Stamina is a new tame will be good for short trips as it levels up, level it's Stamina then weight according to your needs.  They are not really fighting birds when first tamed so don't put them in a tight spot. They will help you to get around though.

I would then Tame an Ankylosaurus to get flint stone and metal (it will also gather berries) It tames with Dilo kibble or mejo berries

A low level Dire Bear is easy to tame and great for collecting Fiber

You need to get a forge to make metal into ingots (also used to make gas with hide and oil)

You need a Smithy  (Used to craft metal things as well as other items)

Collect Metal, forge it to ingot then make Flak Armor to help protect you.  Make a metal pick and hatchet.  Make a Crossbow

Doedicurus is great at gathering stone to help you build, they tame with berries or Dilo Kibble or mejo berries.

on a 2x weekend Tame a Bronto, a high level one  they are actually easy, shoot them with tranq arrow and make them follow you to cliff, then stand on cliff and shoot down at them, when they are close to getting knocked out they will run away, follow and continue to shoot them till they drop.  Throw about 800 mejo berries in it.  Leave the area and don't come back to it for about 7 hours, by then it should be standing up.  If it is in an area that other players are at then craft some spiked fences and put around it if you are able.  If there is no one within render distance of the bronto it should be fine but ARK is a pain some times.  A bronto is a mega berry getting machine.  Level their weight and Melee  Pteranodon helps with taming this one as makes it easy to stay out of the bronto's reach.  A platform saddle will turn the bronto into a mobile narcotics lab.  

The Argentavis as suggested has more stamina and more weight than the Ptera their saddle is also a mobile Smithy.  they are tougher but slower and lumbering I am not a big fan of them unless I am gathering Obsidian.

A Carno would be the next easiest thing to tame and you can ride them and eat smaller animals for meat collecting.

An Allosaurus is even better but harder to tame.

A rex is not that bad to tame but without kibble it takes a while.

The key is your ability to get to these animals easily in order to tame.  I would look at trap construction as suggested in an earlier post as this will help you knock them out easier and protect them from other animals while they are knocked out (depending on the trap and ARK)  once you have tamed them, the hard part is getting them home without something eating them.

There is an app available called DodoDex  it is great for knowing what it takes to tame an animal at different levels, making Kibble etc.  I would advise downloading and using it.

2 hours ago, HomeLessFreak said:

Thanks I think i'm good on that part now. But if anyone has tips on building I would gladly take the advice. 

There are countless building tutorials on youtube. If you’re looking for tips on building a pvp base, search for that specifically, if you’re on pve/singleplayer than any build vid that looks nice you can use. Also you don’t have to copy the videos directly, you can use certain features from the vids in your own builds (for example, pillars in the corners of a build looks nice imo). 

Also, you can always go on singleplayer, put on creative mode, and test out the building mechanics. 

Nice tames to start with are parasaur and trike for berries. That will allow you to get a bunch of narcotics which you can use to then get better dinos. Generally a good  start is some form of berry collector.

A list of useful tames and their uses are:

Doedicurus - stone and flint

Ankylosaurus - metal

Raptor - meat

Pteranadon - mobility as it's a flyer

Argentavis - can pick up other dinos like the Ankylosaurus and has better stamina, HP, carry eight etc than the Pteranadon. Useful for farming as you can pick up a Ankylosaurus while a friend is riding it and then fly him past metal nodes while your friend harvests the metal. 

castoroides/Beavers - wood

Therizinosaurus/The nightmare duck - better than the beaver for wood

Mosschops - Thatch

No need to tame a dino to get fiber as all you need is a metal sickle and you can easily grab unlimited fiber yourself.

Dung beetle - Fertilizer 

Phiomia /The pigs - Force feed them stim berries and they unleash a storm of poop which you can give to beetles to make fertilizer with.

• 4 weeks later...
1 hour ago, HomeLessFreak said:

hey everyone i need some more help. I've gotten myself into the low 30's but i don't know what to put my levels in.

Health first, speed second and weight third most is what i do, health useful in every situation whether it be dinos or players. 600 health plus full set ascendant flak and 150 speed makes you unstoppable.

Get stamina to 150 to compensate (compliment?) the speed so you can run a long time. Weight because eventually you’ll be carrying some heavy things, i personally have 500. Those shields and armor plus backup adds up after a while as well as weapons weighing 15 pounds. Keep in mind i’m the absolute max level lol

Melee is worthless unless you’re a scummy passive piker or beach bob clubber. It’s much better to have a ranged weapon, usually crossbows. You can almost always loot a much better blueprint percent.

Crafting speed and fortitude are also worthless..maybe not craft. if you’re ever in a large tribe then make a crafting speed alt account. That REALLY empowers your weapons and armor when crafted. 

Fortitude isn’t worth the investment because 1. Looted temperature clothing  is almost always sufficient enough and 2. Eventually your craft alt will make better insulated clothes to the point you only need 1 piece.

Also, look for the insulation number instead of armor. Armor is nice but the best combo is 3 pieces of actual armor and 2 temperature clothes. It also depends where you live

20 hours ago, ArkTopia321 said:

I upgrade weight to about 300 speed to 150 and health to about 500-550, fort doesn’t matter, and food and hunger are worthless, oxygen and crafting you don’t need for 1, you can get a scuba suit, and two, crafting skill doesn’t effect anything much unless you have a LOT.  Stam about 200

Fort is not useless! Its one of my favorite stats. Torpor resistance, food / water drain less, natural hypo/hyper and you are fortified B|

On 3/14/2019 at 8:31 PM, HomeLessFreak said:

Thanks I think i'm good on that part now. But if anyone has tips on building I would gladly take the advice. 

Want to join the HoboNation? your name is appropriate and we can show you the ropes if you interested.

We play on a PVP server so it's a good way to jump in the deep end.

Archived