Wildcard Windows 10 dedicated servers need some TLC

HyperionOmega

I play ark, off and on and having come back to the game for the homestead update I still find a lot of really bad design choices either purposefully or not missing from my Windows 10 dedicated server.

1. Inability to upload your character to travel to another map. As a dedicated server that operates for just a couple of friends I don't have the real world resources to set up a cluster (nor even the knowledge if a windows 10 cluster is possible) instead I would like to just upload my character shut the server down and then restart it on the new map and download my character. Why this is removed from dedicated servers is beyond me. Note that this makes leveling your character up and playing through the entire game impossible on non-Clustered Dedicated servers. Doubly so on platforms that cant cluster.

2. Inability to make changes to the Game.ini File on Windows 10 Dedicated server.  The stack size override limit looks good too bad I can only use it on console if I pay for a server. Same with enabling auto learning of engrams on certain maps (the inability to learn SE engrams on extinction is stupid). It should be a simple matter to get windows 10 dedicated servers to allow changes in Game.ini to be followed without having to pay money for a Nitrado server.

3. The inability to have events ongoing on my server. All other servers have the ability to set events as permanent from Easter to the Ark-eology event where animals spawned in different colors. Why can a Windows 10 PC acting as a server not do that.

To have paid for the same game as everyone else and then to have most of the features locked behind another companies paywall seems very wrong and I would love to see some care for the Windows 10 platform as a hybrid pc/console server option.

Wildcard can we please get some updates for dedicated servers before another DLC gets sent out.

Does anybody else have any work around to this stuff or is there no solution but to pay Nitrado money to fully access Wildcards game.

The W10 store version is basically the Xbox version I think.

It might have less options than the Steam version.

I'm hosting on Linux and have not encountered most of your problems.

I haven't experimented with some of the servers in a cluster not running, but I think that was possible. I'm going to try. I believe transfers to another server are basically the game moving your player file, so it might even be possible to do it by hand while the server is not running.

10 hours ago, CCRogerWilco said:

The W10 store version is basically the Xbox version I think.

It might have less options than the Steam version.

I'm hosting on Linux and have not encountered most of your problems.

I haven't experimented with some of the servers in a cluster not running, but I think that was possible. I'm going to try. I believe transfers to another server are basically the game moving your player file, so it might even be possible to do it by hand while the server is not running.

I would say not just less options than a nitrado server but a windows 10 dedicated server feels absolutely neutered when compared to command line prompts you can run on a nitrado server that hosts the same xbox players.

As for clusters and moving characters around I know a workaround by moving files in the ARK folder but that leads to problems if you go back to maps and is very messy. My question becomes why was the upload survivor button removed from the game if you run a dedicated server its the easiest option as I dont have the hardware to set up a cluster of servers that I may only use once every so many months.

I would think a Windows 10 version that has crossplay would be seen as a platform to expand and lessen the divide between what the steam people can do and what consoles can do. I'm thinking official mods being released on windows 10 that xbox players can use if a dedicated server is running them but all thats a dream if we cant even get Win10 servers to have half the option available as a 3rd party server like nitrado does. Whats the reason for this?

Archived