ShadowMage016

New Map/DLC Suggestion: Rip Tide

Posted (edited)

I've long wished for a heavily water focused map.  I had intended to try my hand at modding my own map, but I quickly found that my PC is not well equipped to run the dev kit.  Plus, I'm not sure my motivation would hold up long enough to finish the project.  I'm notoriously bad at that...
Anyway, since none of the maps so far have really done much with the water/oceans aside from adding a few new creatures, I thought I'd throw this out there.  I've put a fair bit of time into gathering all these ideas together and (disclaimer) I did borrow some of these ideas from other posts and such that I've read so I can't take credit for everything.  Anyway, here's the pitch, let me know what you think:

Suggested map name: Rip Tide
General description:
Mostly ocean map, similar in size to Ragnarok.  A few scattered islands, mostly tropical with a few mountainous and/or volcanic areas and possibly a snow island.  The idea is to focus on the ocean with new biomes, creatures, craftables, and mechanics.

New Biomes:
 - Giant kelp beds
 - Oil fields
    - These could have large deposits of oil stones or new underwater oil veins w/accompanying pumps (similar to oil veins in SE)
 - Steam vents
    - New form of electricity (geothermal energy)
 - Underwater lakes
    - Highly toxic and will harm creatures and players unless proper protection is equipped
 - Coral reefs
 - Barren flats
 - Bioluminescent caves
 - Tropical shallows/tidal flats
    - Shallow areas with abundant fish and generally peaceful dinos (except the occasional baryonyx or spinosaurus)

New Weather Events:
 - Hurricanes:  highly damaging winds, especially to thatch and wood structures; rain
 - Tides:  changing water levels; this could coincide with a tidal flat biome where unique and rare creatures appear during low tides
 - Whirlpools

New Resources:
 - Corkwood: used in flotation oriented recipes such as life vests and lighter/faster rafts
 - Bamboo: new tier of construction between thatch and wood (more below)
 - Underwater oil veins (similar to SE oil veins)
 - Steam vents (for geothermal energy)
 - Underwater currents (for electricity; similar to wind in SE)
 - Kelp/Seaweed: food item for aquatic herbivores
 - Coral: different types like berries; used as food item for creatures
 - Algae: different types like berries; used as food item for creatures (maybe make these a direct replacement for berries to make up for lack of land and/or gatherers for berries)
 - Plant Species W
    - Seeds must be planted and grown underwater (thereby requiring the addition of an underwater planter)
    - Fruits, when eaten, allow player to breathe and regen stamina underwater (plus boost to swim speed?)
        - Shorter duration and quicker spoil time keep Lazarus chowder relevant (could also update Lazarus chowder recipe to use W fruits)
    - Provide oxygen while near them (similarly to how Z plants restore health)
 - Also incorporate existing resources such as:
    - Sand from SE
    - green/blue/red gems and fungal wood (or substitutes) from Aberration; mostly just to be able to craft Aberration items, particularly cliff platforms
    - Element ore/dust/shards or other way to farm element

Craftable Items:
 - Primitive flippers: could be crafted from hide and wood or bamboo
 - Diving pump: An airhose/mask and pump combo that would allow limited range/depth (due to being tethered by the airhose) but infinite duration (provided the pump doesn't run out of fuel)
 - Primitive life vest: crafted from fiber, hide and corkwood; would allow you to regain stamina while floating
 - Mini-sub: similar to the Seaglide from Subnautica; would allow you to move quickly in tighter spaces than even small sea mounts can go
 - Small/Light raft: crafted with corkwood; smaller and just fast enough to outrun a leedsichthys but is not buildable (except for storage containers)
 - Armored raft: just like the wood raft, but plated with metal; vastly reduced leeds damage and doesn't require fuel (unlike motorboat)
 - Large raft: larger version of the wood raft so it can support a greater amount of structures; slower; possibly armored and/or motorized versions as well
 - Hand/Electric water pumps: see the New Structures section
 - Turbines, thermal generators, and oil pumps for the new water currents, steam vents and oil veins

New Structures:
 - New Bamboo tier: fits between thatch and wood; main benefit is greatly reduced damage from hurricanes
    - Has same pieces as wood, including stairs and columns
 - Sealed stone chamber: fixed in size/shape and can't snap to each other; has a built-in moonpool entrance
 - Sealed metal chamber: metal variation of stone chamber, but can snap other components such as tunnels
 - Sealed metal tunnel: snaps to metal chambers to connect them (comes in T-, X-, L-, and vertical variants)
 - Metal moonpool: moonpool entrance that snaps to metal chambers
 - Metal airlock: airlock style entrance that snaps to metal chambers
 - Glass variants of metal chambers and tunnels
 - Hand/Electric water pumps: snap to exterior walls inside of chambers
    - Hand pump: very primitive and requires significant stamina to use
    - Electric pump: requires electricity; cannot be submerged (could be placed on land or raft and connect a hose to the chamber to pump out water)
    - Submersible pump: requires electricity; can be submerged
    - All pumps will have a limited range/number of chambers they can handle so as to keep the Tek chambers relevant
 - Triangular and sloped variants of the Tek chambers
 - Airlock style entrance for Tek chambers
 - Tek vacuum platform: smaller Tek structure that can snap to underwater cliffs and pillars (similar to the cliff platform)

New Creatures:
 - Sea Wyvern
    - Capable of both swimming and flying
    - Poisonous barbed tail that deals torpor
    - Breath weapon possibilities:
        - Sonic blast that stuns mounts/players; only useable underwater
        - Stream of super-heated water/steam; ignores some armor and increases player temperature
            - Vastly reduce range or switch to sonic blast while underwater
    - Nest in toxic underwater lakes, making them immune to the effects of said lakes
 - Sea Drakes
    - Variation of Rock Drakes
    - Nest in mountainous areas; but also highly amphibious with low or no oxygen consumption while swimming
 - Hatzegopteryx: smaller but much more aggressive than quetz; has dive bomb attack like griffins
 - Anomalocaris: Crustacean that would act as a living SCUBA tank (idea from https://survivetheark.com/index.php?/forums/topic/415323-new-dlc-suggestion-oceania/)
 - Giant cuttlefish: ability to cloak like the Rock Drake
 - Hippocampus: basically water version of Equus (tames with Kelp or other sea food, instead of carrots)
 - Nothosaurus: amphibious plesiosaur with webbed feet instead of flippers
 - Helicoprion: can inflict "gnashed" effect
 - Archelon: giant leatherback turtle; immune to jellyfish
 - Ophiderpeton: aquatic version of Titanoboa (no oxygen stat); has a constricting attack
 - Temnodontosaurus: larger, deep-water version of ichthyosaurus
 - Pakasuchus/Desmatosuchus/Postosuchus/Terrestrisuchus/Anatosuchus
 - Bacculite
 - Xiphactinus
 - Giant crab: basically a brighter colored Karkinos
 - Bananogmius
 - Astraspis/Cephalaspis/Doryaspis
 - Aigialosaurus
 - Kronosaurus/Goronyosaurus: basically an amphibious mosasaur
 - Mud dragons (Phylum Kinorhyncha): IRL these are very tiny, but they could be semi-aquatic versions of the death worms from SE that inhabit beaches and shallow waters
 - Bioluminescent creatures (real or fantasy)

Edited by ShadowMage016
  • Like 2

You should mention some of these ideas in the other thread. I especially like the idea of a tide weather event that causes special creatures to spawn. Currently, the phoenix is the only creature that only spawns in a weather event, and that only feels like a way to make it harder to tame, not something natural like a tide event that lowers the sea level and causes creatures that would only make sense to spawn at a lower sea level spawn. This is my personal favorite out of your ideas but you should mention more for the people who didn’t click the link.

• Like 3

On 3/15/2019 at 9:42 PM, BecomingMegapithicus said:

You should mention some of these ideas in the other thread. I especially like the idea of a tide weather event that causes special creatures to spawn. Currently, the phoenix is the only creature that only spawns in a weather event, and that only feels like a way to make it harder to tame, not something natural like a tide event that lowers the sea level and causes creatures that would only make sense to spawn at a lower sea level spawn. This is my personal favorite out of your ideas but you should mention more for the people who didn’t click the link.

Thanks, nice to see that my ideas are getting a little bit of support. :)  I've been mentioning things in the other thread as they come up, but I felt like posting a big wall of text as a comment there would be inappropriate.  Maybe I'll post it in small pieces here and there to keep some focus on the thread.