no idle mating No mating on wandering

Zahlea

4 minutes ago, Zahlea said:

Just a shout out: Who else would love to see dinos not mating when on wandering? We got the Enable mating option (yay! ? ) So that is enough to control mating. I would love letting my dinos wander around in a pen without suddenly having twice as many ?

i mean, if dinos get too far away they'll stop mating. but even if you let your dinos breed non-stop, you still won't have that many unless if you actually claim them, and even then you can kill them yourself or let them starve.

1 minute ago, Techsupport said:

i mean, if dinos get too far away they'll stop mating. but even if you let your dinos breed non-stop, you still won't have that many unless if you actually claim them, and even then you can kill them yourself or let them starve.

Full disclosure: I have boosted rates. They don't seem to starve around my bases... not sure if unclaimed ones still eat from the trough but I get adult dinos running around if I forget to turn off mating (they're currently standing still). And they're pretty annoying to have running around :P

Like, it's obviously not a major issue. I just don't see why both wandering and mating enable mating (now that the latter option was added). Since we have enable mating we can get any combination we want... except, right now, dinos wandering around not mating... which is really weird to me!

I agree. Seems redundant to have enable mating and enable wander initiate mating. Maybe we could use enable wander as a new function to actually make patrols and such now.

Id love to have a pack of prowling wolves.. a ... Paw Patrole if you will (no they wont have outrageous gadgets) .. Anyone with kids will resent this statement hahah..

14 hours ago, MongoGamingX said:

Yes it is, on official anyway

Did not know! ?

But that option is still there with Enable Mating - even more so, I would argue, because it's easy to see that you forgot your creatures on wandering, but not that you forgot your creatures are still on enable mating. 

12 hours ago, d1nk said:

Seems redundant to have enable mating and enable wander initiate mating. Maybe we could use enable wander as a new function to actually make patrols and such now.

Exactly my point, thanks for saying it a lot clearer than I did :)

21 hours ago, Zahlea said:

Full disclosure: I have boosted rates. They don't seem to starve around my bases... not sure if unclaimed ones still eat from the trough but I get adult dinos running around if I forget to turn off mating (they're currently standing still). And they're pretty annoying to have running around :P

Like, it's obviously not a major issue. I just don't see why both wandering and mating enable mating (now that the latter option was added). Since we have enable mating we can get any combination we want... except, right now, dinos wandering around not mating... which is really weird to me!

hmm, unclaimed dinos shouldn't be eating from troughs, maybe you could physically kill them off?

1 minute ago, Techsupport said:

hmm, unclaimed dinos shouldn't be eating from troughs, maybe you could physically kill them off?

I can! It's just annoying to have to :) Real world example - I had a bunch of unclaimed adult carnos... when trying to get rid of them, I had two different problems:

1. They got a hit on me and all dinos not set on passive (or that had somehow reset to Attacking Target) started running after it and I had to put them all back in their places
  2. They started hitting my tamed dinos pushing them out of place so I had to put them back in their places

I'll reiterate - this is obviously not a major issue. This is QoL. I just don't see why we need two options that do the same thing... Or rather, one option that does thing A and B and one option that does thing A meaning it's impossible to do thing B without thing A. I just don't see the point! :D

1 hour ago, Zahlea said:

I can! It's just annoying to have to :) Real world example - I had a bunch of unclaimed adult carnos... when trying to get rid of them, I had two different problems:

1. They got a hit on me and all dinos not set on passive (or that had somehow reset to Attacking Target) started running after it and I had to put them all back in their places
  2. They started hitting my tamed dinos pushing them out of place so I had to put them back in their places

I'll reiterate - this is obviously not a major issue. This is QoL. I just don't see why we need two options that do the same thing... Or rather, one option that does thing A and B and one option that does thing A meaning it's impossible to do thing B without thing A. I just don't see the point! :D

yeah i guess it's whatever then, we'll just have to hope that they eventually fix that, but it might take a while since the Enable Mating feature is a fairly new update.

19 hours ago, Kaprosuchus said:

i'd like to see wandering give dinosaurs free reign to do various automated activities within their nature, like grazing.

certain creatures sort of do this like castroides on wander collects wood, gigapithecus gathers fiber, etc.

though yeah it would be cool to have herbivores go around and gather berries or carnivores to go around killing stuff, but that kind of ruins game mechanics because then you don't have to actually do that much work, you can just put stuff on wander and go afk

19 hours ago, Kaprosuchus said:

i'd like to see wandering give dinosaurs free reign to do various automated activities within their nature, like grazing.

Yeah, me too! Also, if I'm wishing freely, I'd love to see more autonomously harvesting. The most glaring one to me is that the Ankylo doesn't collect metal/flint while the Doed on wandering will collect stone.

11 minutes ago, Techsupport said:

though yeah it would be cool to have herbivores go around and gather berries or carnivores to go around killing stuff, but that kind of ruins game mechanics because then you don't have to actually do that much work, you can just put stuff on wander and go afk

Not sure I agree :) Both meat and berries are really easy to come by once you have some better creatures.

I don't believe it's against their intention since they already have this mechanic with several creatures. I don't know that people grow berries (maybe with the exception of narcoberries or mejoberries) so I don't think it will make the game that much easier. As far as keeping your carnivores on wandering, unless you keep it outside of a pen, it wouldn't find much to kill. Outside of a pen it could end up anywhere. Also, that is sort of possible by setting the creature to "Aggressive" stance where it will attack anything nearby.

On 3/20/2019 at 5:20 PM, Techsupport said:

yeah, that's true, but you yourself still have to go around and kill stuff.

all i'm really saying that it would make it a lot easier, but maybe not game breaking

True, and I agree it would make it easier! I just disagree slightly on how much easier :P But that's really insignificant so I'll just leave it at agreeing with you :) 

• 2 months later...

About the issue at the top, you can spay/neuter ur dinos to keep them from mating. I have a huge pen of dilos on wandering so i have a similar problem, but you can also separate them by gender, but that would be annoying and costly, or have one gender wandering and the other idle (females wandering, males are still and vice versa)

And about animations and such i wish dinos with walk over to a feeding trough and do their eating animation, that would be awesome

58 minutes ago, ContentD3leted said:

About the issue at the top, you can spay/neuter ur dinos to keep them from mating. I have a huge pen of dilos on wandering so i have a similar problem, but you can also separate them by gender, but that would be annoying and costly, or have one gender wandering and the other idle (females wandering, males are still and vice versa)

And about animations and such i wish dinos with walk over to a feeding trough and do their eating animation, that would be awesome

Inb4 a million posts of a dino getting stuck while enroute to trough and starving

Archived