Community Crunch 172: Developer Stream Roundup and Switch Server Maintenance!

Jen

Hey Survivors! Welcome to the latest edition of the Community Crunch! :Jerbhi:

ARK Developer Stream #1 VOD!

On March 5th we had our first developer update stream in our new format! Thank you for joining us on Twitch if you were able to do so. In this stream we talked about the Homestead update, the mod program, as well as answered your questions from the Community Crunch and from chat. Going forward we will be continuing to stream when we've got new things to share with you. We won't have a dedicated schedule like we have in the past so stay tuned to the Crunch and our Twitter for information on when those take place.

If you weren't able to catch the stream, you can watch the video on demand over on our YouTube channel.

As previously mentioned the major topic of our stream was dedicated to discussing the new Homestead update which includes the integration of Structures Plus and the Kibble rework.

If you're still confused about the kibble rework changes definitely check out Dododex and the ARK wiki for an in-depth dive into the new kibble system including new recipes for the new kibbles and which creatures prefer which kibble. Thank you to our community members for collecting this information for all survivors to benefit from. And we hope you have all been enjoying this quality of life update!

Upcoming Server Maintenance!

At 12:00pm Eastern on March 13th we will be taking down some of our Switch servers for maintenance. We expect maintenance to last for approximately 2 hours. Below is a list of all affected servers.

Mod Community Updates!

I've readied a new installment to our VSS project tutorials. Today we're covering the addition of a central targeting list managed by the tower. This backbone will make it possible to take the behavior of our mod in quite a few directions, so for anybody that is following along, please feel free to drop some ideas on behavior in the forum thread below. Happy Modding!

Fan Feature of the Week!

D1Ji1gIWsAAGmPa.jpg:large

ARK Millennium Falcon by Sitharias

Evolution Event!

large.large.EvoEvent.png.eeb58694dd9d4cb

Survivors on all platforms will be receiving a special Evolution Event perk this weekend! It will be active from Friday the 15th of March at 1 PM EST until Monday the 18th of March at 3 PM EST. All Official Servers across each platform will be undergoing this evolutionary change which includes:

• 2x Harvesting Rates
  • 2x Taming Rates
  • 2x EXP Rates

That's it for this post!

As always if you’ve got anything to share you can find us at:

Twitter: twitter.com/survivetheark
Facebook: facebook.com/survivetheark
Reddit: reddit.com/r/playark
Instagram: instagram.com/survivetheark
Twitch: twitch.tv/survivetheark
Steam: steamcommunity.com/app/346110
Youtube: youtube.com/survivetheark

All the best,
Studio Wildcard

View full article

54 minutes ago, Pookina said:

Can you change Extraordinary Kibble back to titanboa eggs? Some players don't have access to drake or wyvern eggs and golden hesperornis eggs are extremely rare. This makes taming those creatures that take this kibble impossible as they take so much for a decent level.

That's the whole point lol makes it a challenge

Can you guys address the terrible issues that have been affecting EVERY version of the game since the S+ integration? You guys had the chance to talk about this during your stream, but ultimately refused. WC, please work on the issues and stop letting so many huge bugs in your updates. What really goes on in your studio? I would like to have an answer if you're willing to do it and are reading this, but a well made one rather than a quick answer, because the whole "working day and night" to address bugs is extremely hard to believe, and you also don't have your "early access" excuse. It's full release and triple-A priced, can't you guys go more triple-A than you currently are? Also, I'm not going to forget about you guys splitting off to leave ARK in the dust and work on Atlas. I will never forget about that terrible move. One thing I've learned from my three years of this game: Over-promise, under deliver. Great game, backed by a very unprofessional company.

• Like 1
  • Facepalm 1

Breeding on Aberration has tames asking for old kibbles like Stego kibble, which when you try to make it, it doesn't create it. And when you craft the regular kibble, it won't accept it because it wants "stego" kibble. 

Also, on Aberration, are the rock drake nests broken? We haven't been able to find any eggs since the update.

Have you fixed the Onyc still not having a preferred kibble even though you said it would? Also, using Regular/blue kibble on Equus wasn't working at all despite some people reporting that it did. Fed 9 to an equus last 2X and it was still at 0% tame, just tranqed and fed carrots.

You need to do something about NA-PVE-TheCenter406 as well. Place is overrun with griefers and dupers. We report the several times a day that the server crashes and tell you to look at the logs to see who's duping, you don't. The same tribes kite alphas and other predators at players on PvE, we screencap and report them, and you do nothing about that as well. They're just emboldened and now every player who was actually connecting from NA is leaving. 

2 hours ago, Smashbox27 said:

@Jen  it might b more acceptable if the extraordinary kibble was used to tame something worthy of it.  None of those 5 creatures are worth that effort.  Thyla and megas belong in superior and yutys/griffins arnt really worth that effort either.  The golem is the only 1 that isnt a complete flop for this teir.  The thyla and megalania are just insulting and the griffin is against progression.  Im not gonna hunt for a griffin when im already riding a wyvern.  Thats a downgrade and obviously i should hav a wyvern if im hunting its eggs(Which we do to tame 1) for the kibble.  The extraordinary teir needs completely redone, both with the egg and what it tames.  I completely back the idea of boa eggs or quetz eggs being used for it.  Even once we have that we still need creatures in that teir that deserve the challenge, that smash is talking bout, of that lvl.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Level4Gaming said:

Can you guys address the terrible issues that have been affecting EVERY version of the game since the S+ integration? You guys had the chance to talk about this during your stream, but ultimately refused.

Also, I'm not going to forget about you guys splitting off to leave ARK in the dust and work on Atlas. I will never forget about that terrible move. 

1) Their stream was on the day the update released, so pretty difficult to speak about the backlash unless you expect the team to not bother with their jobs and only read community posts?

2) The team that broke off from Ark were replaced by different people. Are you just going to ignore the fact that Jeremy was replaced by ChrisW and the new team are the best thing to happen to this game? Will you like many other people, always use Atlas as a scapegoat to your personal issues with the developers?

• Volunteer Moderator
4 hours ago, R3dm0nst3r said:

Any word on if rag boss will in the future unlock the new tek engrams?

They are looking into it:

4 hours ago, ELegantment said:

dododex have too many error

This is a thirdparty site that is not officially supported by Wildcard. Contact them on twitter or use alternatives.

2 hours ago, SaltyMonkey said:

2) The team that broke off from Ark were replaced by different people. Are you just going to ignore the fact that Jeremy was replaced by ChrisW and the new team are the best thing to happen to this game? Will you like many other people, always use Atlas as a scapegoat to your personal issues with the developers?

why do you feel the need to bring this up so often. Why should it matter either way? you saying that is as ignorant as someone saying the devs always break the game with every patch.

4 hours ago, Onimusha759 said:

@Jen  it might b more acceptable if the extraordinary kibble was used to tame something worthy of it.  None of those 5 creatures are worth that effort.  Thyla and megas belong in superior and yutys/griffins arnt really worth that effort either.  The golem is the only 1 that isnt a complete flop for this teir.  The thyla and megalania are just insulting and the griffin is against progression.  Im not gonna hunt for a griffin when im already riding a wyvern.  Thats a downgrade and obviously i should hav a wyvern if im hunting its eggs(Which we do to tame 1) for the kibble.  The extraordinary teir needs completely redone, both with the egg and what it tames.  I completely back the idea of boa eggs or quetz eggs being used for it.  Even once we have that we still need creatures in that teir that deserve the challenge, that smash is talking bout, of that lvl.

The only one that is not worth accepting in this tier is the megalania. Griffins are the only flyers that you can shoot of their back, Thyla are powerful and an extremely good mount for travelling, Yutis are very important for boss fights and Rock Golems are beasts for soaking turrets

1 hour ago, OtterlyRidiculous said:

why do you feel the need to bring this up so often. Why should it matter either way? you saying that is as ignorant as someone saying the devs always break the game with every patch.

Its a new team that is working on an existing game which means that they had to learn how the game works first before starting to code. Considering how much bugs and broken stuff the game had before, they are doing an extremely good job at making ARK a better game.

And bugs/glitchs will come to every game with any update no matter how much testing the devs do

7 hours ago, Smashbox27 said:

It’s not a “challenge,” it’s an annoying time-waster. 

It can take about a 20 minutes to a half hour to get a golden egg from a hesperornis by hunting fish. Then, you have to get honey and slaughter an ovis. The only “challenge” is enduring the game-killing boredom. The rest is based on time wasting and in the case of an egg and ovis, luck. It doesn’t add challenge to the game, it makes it take longer and becomes annoying, that’s it. It sucks the fun right out. 

It’s also completely unbalanced on the island from other maps. On Scorched Earth or Ragnarok, getting a wyvern egg is part of normal play and routine, and ovis are abundant. It doesn’t interrupt or change the gameplay on those maps, but on the island it haults everything else a player is doing and just takes a long time. On Rag and SE it’s just a way to use things you already probably have, but on the island you have to spend a lot of time playing what amounts to a boring mini game of duck fishing and ‘am I LUCKY enough to find an ovis.’ 

The golden egg is completely ridiculous and as a part of the kibble system, it should only be to tame a yuty or giga. The fact a giga is easier to obtain than a thyla is another example of how poorly conceived the new kibble system is. 

That’s just the Extraordinary kibble. As far as the Exceptional kibble goes, it’s a time-waster on any map. While not too bad for higher level players, anyone that hasn’t unlocked the industrial cooker can look forward to staring at the regular cooking pot inventory, because it’s a total drain making the chili, just to get ready to make the kibble.

While I wasn’t a fan of the kibble change, in general, Extinction’s augmented kibble made sense. It only needed to have resources available on the island, but that could have been easily fixed when they allowed tek dinos to drop dust, they could have just gave them random drops of red and blue sap. 

In truth, the new kibbles makes it much more difficult for a new player or small tribe, but larger already established tribes probably do not notice much difference. After all, established tribes are breeding thylas and yuty and are unlikely to bother kibble taming either, while it just easier to kibble tame more Gigas. The balancing is completely out of whack and it’s got nothing to do with challenge.

2 hours ago, ArkP1 said:

On Rag and SE it’s just a way to use things you already probably have, but on the island you have to spend a lot of time playing what amounts to a boring mini game of duck fishing and ‘am I LUCKY enough to find an ovis.’

I agree that the golden eggs requirement on the island is a PITA, but I think you are referencing the extinction kibble recipes cause the island version of extraordinary does not require cooked lamb and therefore no slaughtering ovis.

Edited by Piffguru