Desktop PC for gaming?

Chickenhead

Hello everyone

I'm thinking about getting a desktop but I don't know anything about computers. I just want it to be able to run games smoothly, mainly Ark. The monitor on my Alienware laptop that I've had for the past few years just died, been using my sisters old laptop and playing Ark on Xbox, it's brutal. The Alienware could never run it anyway tho.

If anyone could just let me know a few minimum specifications that I would need to run Ark and other games with good fps, like which processor and video cards are preferable, it would be greatly appreciated. I have no idea what the difference between the NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1060 6GB GDDR5 and GTX 1080 8GB GDDR5X is, I just see different numbers. I was also wondering if it's worth the extra money to get the 9th generation intel processor instead of the 8th generation. I'm just assuming the higher the number, the newer it is. Thanks in advance.

Hello everyone
I'm thinking about getting a desktop but I don't know anything about computers. I just want it to be able to run games smoothly, mainly Ark. The monitor on my Alienware laptop that I've had for the past few years just died, been using my sisters old laptop and playing Ark on Xbox, it's brutal. The Alienware could never run it anyway tho.
If anyone could just let me know a few minimum specifications that I would need to run Ark and other games with good fps, like which processor and video cards are preferable, it would be greatly appreciated. I have no idea what the difference between the NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1060 6GB GDDR5 and GTX 1080 8GB GDDR5X is, I just see different numbers. I was also wondering if it's worth the extra money to get the 9th generation intel processor instead of the 8th generation. I'm just assuming the higher the number, the newer it is. Thanks in advance.
A desktop isnt very useful to play ark, it would be better when you would buy a gaming pc.
Because you always can work on it.

Key note. If you want to be able to play ARK without crashing, DO NOT get RTX. Here's my base specs that I always recommend for people who want to play more demanding games like ARK but not spend lots of money:
If you're going Intel for CPU, get an i7 6700K, or i7 8700K... If you're going for any of the 9th generation Intel processors btw, you're going to have a hard time finding any, because they are typically out of stock.
If you're going AMD for CPU, get a reasonable Ryzen 5 (I know much less about AMD. But, it's a good way to save money by going with AMD. However, ARK it much better suited to Intel and Nvidia brand hardware.)
If you're going for an Nvidia graphics card, (NEVER go with an RTX because they cause BSODs) Get a GTX 1060 6GB. It's not too expensive and performs well on many triple A titles in 1080p.
If you choose to go for an AMD graphics card, you could get either an RX 480 or RX 580. Both are inexpensive and perform well, but do not have the added bonuses of Nvidia GPUs such as Ansel, Shadowplay, etc. 
Finally, for RAM (also called memory, it's the same thing) Make sure you have 16GB of RAM. You can game on 8GB, but it's not recommended because Windows 10 eats a lot of memory. Obviously Linux is not well suited for gaming BTW.
That's as simple as I could put it. Hope this helps!
-Level4Gaming

Archived