ARK for Switch is great

michas86er

I waited long time for ARK on the Nintendo Switch, since it release i love it. Due lack of further DLC‘s (Scorched Earth Datas are includet  in Swich version, except Models and map) and updates i bought the PCVersion on Steam this week. For me its not the same like on Switch :(. I still hope WC see us one day as normal ARK Players, thath worth further Updates. And please add private servers and/or noTaming would be nice.

Is it though? Is it really that good? I have had the polar opposite experiences (I refunded ARK on the switch for this very reason) WC however, has no plans to implement any of this (DLC, etc), let alone fixing the game on Switch. It was a rushed money grab. Why don't you share some of your personal experiences with me if you claim ARK on Switch is so great? And if so, what makes it better than ARK on PC? Or were you just simply playing on a low spec computer, ARK isn't designed to run on low power machines. When I see screenshots like THIS, it makes ARK on my underpowered laptop look like a godsend.
I also noticed ARK on Switch has a very low frame-cap. (I'm thinking like 24 FPS or less from current memory.) I wasn't pleased with it at all, especially when they showed it at E3 last year, running the game not only BETTER than Xbox and Ps4 (which run 30FPS on a mix of medium/low settings at 720P) but it looked better as well. We ask about this? Nothing. Just complete radio silence from Wildcard.
(The screenshot displayed below is NOT MINE!)

thisisarkonswitch.jpg

• 3 months later...
On 3/10/2019 at 6:07 PM, michas86er said:

I waited long time for ARK on the Nintendo Switch

I agree that Ark on Switch is a brilliant game. The thing with Nintendo is it's always been more about the gameplay than the graphics and the gameplay of Ark (I'm assuming in it's vanilla state) is really impressive and immersive - a true Ark experience in a handheld. I'm glad that I waited for Ark to be released on Switch, and then a bit longer to pick up a copy from the bargain bin. After playing 500 hour in Atlas on PC I understood a bit how Ark works. To be honest I mainly play in portable mode and am really enjoying it, but when docked it steps up and I'm like 'wow the graphics are amazing' even my gf is impressed - before I pointed out that these graphics are actually deemed as terrible. But that is all irrelevant it still does look good enough (if you don't obsess about the gfx side of things) and more importantly it runs really smoothly, in terms of framerate it actually runs better than Atlas does on my PC (i7, 8GB, GTX 980m 8GB) and many YouTuber's vids of the PC versions lol. I love how I can just leave my Switch in sleep mode then just pick it up and literally 'in seconds' I'm playing Ark. There is a lot going for this game, there is so much to learn and experience and I would definitely recommend it - especially if you've never played Ark/Atlas before.

10 hours ago, Kitalon said:

I agree that Ark on Switch is a brilliant game. The thing with Nintendo is it's always been more about the gameplay than the graphics and the gameplay of Ark (I'm assuming in it's vanilla state) is really impressive and immersive - a true Ark experience in a handheld. I'm glad that I waited for Ark to be released on Switch, and then a bit longer to pick up a copy from the bargain bin. After playing 500 hour in Atlas on PC I understood a bit how Ark works. To be honest I mainly play in portable mode and am really enjoying it, but when docked it steps up and I'm like 'wow the graphics are amazing' even my gf is impressed - before I pointed out that these graphics are actually deemed as terrible. But that is all irrelevant it still does look good enough (if you don't obsess about the gfx side of things) and more importantly it runs really smoothly, in terms of framerate it actually runs better than Atlas does on my PC (i7, 8GB, GTX 980m 8GB) and many YouTuber's vids of the PC versions lol. I love how I can just leave my Switch in sleep mode then just pick it up and literally 'in seconds' I'm playing Ark. There is a lot going for this game, there is so much to learn and experience and I would definitely recommend it - especially if you've never played Ark/Atlas before.

Im curious if youve tried online. A small to medium starter base with a handful of dinos & the game behaves ok....but online & offline (with many tamed dinos & a large base) the games stability suffers big time. Yes its fun...I have between 600 - 700 hours just on the Switch version (easily 3 to 4 times that on my PS4- the game is great-when it works)....but being kicked offline during boss fights, falling to your doom while transporting fertilized eggs on a flyer due to a disconnect, your therizino drowning while crossing a river because you disconnect....all due to faults in the game...make it broken in the long run. As you'll find out in Ark....its a very long game, especially solo.

Sadly you wont be enjoying that framerate for long as your game "builds" in player created structures, tamed dinos etc. Also if you ever do play online....dont pick the switch up from the craddle until youre in a safe spot first. Doing so will disconnect you from your lobby each & every time

12 hours ago, Mossenstein said:

Im curious if youve tried online.

No, online mp play doesn't really interest me at all. I played quite a bit of MP in Atlas and while it's fun running a company (and hugely time consuming) I prefer to play the game at the own pace and without other people messing things up. I doubt that I'll ever get to the stage where I'm going to build a mega-base and tame 100 creatures in one place. But for what it's worth, a portable pick up and go (and pause) version I'm really quite happy playing solo. I'm just about to tame my first Therizinosaur which has been stalking me for days, although it seems to be taking me days to get it hungry enough to be able to feed it right now lol.

Personally I don't mind the delay to updates on Switch as I'm really interested to learn about and simply enjoy the vanilla version - maybe one day if I want to progress to the new updates/DLC I'll take the plunge, upgrade and get it on PC. But for me and my gaming style ARK on the Switch more than suits my needs - I just can't get enough of it atm. Excellent game!

• 2 weeks later...

Beware the disappearing ground & disconnects. Should the ground vanish, find somewhere safe to hunker down...dont fly or swim. Its by far the most unstable game of the bunch & disappearing ground is a warning a disconnect is inbound. Other things to watch for....do not open chat box while in somethings inventory as it will move everything into your inventory. Dont attack piranahas while you have a flying mount following on neutral as they always glitch out & fly away. Its a great game when it works, I hope you continue to enjoy it

TQ for the head's up, I will take note. Our tribe is growing rapidly, the only thing is these servers seem so old that long-gone tribes seem to have taken (and abandoned) the best spots - i.e. Herbivore Island is totally built over and fortified on the server we're playing on so we can't even go there. But that's OK, it is what it is. I dunno if they're planning on doing any server resets for unused servers so that we can have a more vanilla game to begin with.

I met two really friendly people in PvE, gave us legendary items as gifts and showed us around their bases. Our little tribe is just trying to find a place to call home.

Someone has just told me that you can even 'host a server' of your own solo game on Switch. Is this true, and how do you do that?

On the bright side, it tends not to happen immediately & gives you a chance to deal with it....if that is, you catch it. You dont want to be flying due to the disconnect causing you to auto eject off your mount. Most times the fall will kill your character unless you are buzzing very near to the ground. I find the under water DC's worse. The "grass to glass" is harder to recognize under water & the DC & amount of time it takes to log back in will result in your character drowning. I once lost a lvl  250 Theri this way. What was more frusterating was the water wasnt that deep for him, we were just bobbing down the shore killing sharks that were too close to the shoreline for easy fish during a bary tame. During the swim & fight I was distracted & missed the warning. Of course if the Switch version of the game was more stable, we wouldnt have to worry at all, lol!

Archived