GmanPlaysGames

New DLC Suggestion: Oceania

I feel like a fun new map Wildcard could throw our way would be one consisting of almost entirely ocean, and I don't mean like The Center, I mean the small handful of islands that would exist would be tiny, like the little bitty sandbar islands between the big islands on Center but no bigger, perhaps with some mangrove swamps in a few places and some ice floes in the north, but very little land. The majority of our time on this map would be spent either in the water or in underwater caves, of which this hypothetical map has an abundance of, in fact the spawn areas would almost all be in these underwater caves. Since scuba gear isn't normally craftable until much later in the game, some new map specific items would have to be included to make going underwater early on more viable, things like a gatherable plant that you could eat to fill/extend your oxygen meter temporarily (like Gilly-Weed from Harry Potter), and some kind of craftable rebreather and some more primitive flippers we could craft from hide and other easy to get materials, also some water-tight structures we could build earlier than Tek-Tier would be a must as well, and make them buildable on platform saddles so we could turn Mosas, Plesios and Tusos into living submarines, and some kind of underwater turret. There would have to be some interesting and varied undersea "biomes" to make this map interesting, things like coral reefs, whale boneyards, and underwater volcanoes spring to mind. A good number of new aquatic creatures would be in order as well, I have some ideas for a few:

Livyatan Melvillei (aka Leviathan Whale): Basically a much toothier version of the modern-day Sperm Whale. In-game it would act much like you'd expect a Sperm Whale to, and ply the deep waters hunting giant squid, or Tusoteuthis in this case. Would be hostile to wild squid and defensive against everything else. When tamed it would have a multi-seater saddle and be a tanky underwater mount that deals bonus damage to squids.

livyatan.thumb.jpg.fb5e5fa67315917becc6dbe0882728f7.jpg

Cryptoclidus (small Plesiosaur): Basically would act like reptilian seals and would be found in shallower water feeding on fish and sunning themselves on the little sandbar islands, or in entrances to the underwater caves of the noob areas. Would be a fairly early tame and I think a neat functionality for it to have would be for it to act like a living refrigerator when saddled, able to store perishable items and keep them at a rate somewhere between a preserving bin and electric refrigerator.

cryptoclidus.thumb.jpg.b27aee3c7cb0a292aa7efaf1b9788070.jpg

Anomalocaris (cambrian crustacean): 3 words, AQUATIC SHOULDER PET. This guy would act like a sort of living scuba tank for you, passive tame with pearls or fish, gives extended oxygen meter when worn on shoulder.

anomalocaris.thumb.jpg.c6d1e636baf6c201de17a1149974b48d.jpg

Helicoprion (whorl-tooth shark): Smaller shark mount, uses those crazy teeth to gather prime meat and/or prime fish meat from corpses.

helicoprion-4-e1494335102866.thumb.jpg.8e76fa366bdb0c4a38b811c8661ce92b.jpg

Archelon (big sea turtle): Immune jellyfish stings and other stun mechanics (except squid grab), tanky, slow base speed but capable of moving much quicker in bursts, gathers increased biotoxin from jellyfish.

archelon.thumb.jpg.89aa355ddaece30a15918bef685babbd.jpg

Cameroceras (armored squid): A stealth mechanic seems suitable for a relative of modern squids, octopuses and cuttlefish so this dude can camouflage itself and its rider to match the environment for a limited amount of time, scaling with stamina.

cameroceras.thumb.jpg.1abb0f836eab3b1f9ab0d97288842223.jpg

Acrophyseter (pods of smaller whales): Another prehistoric Sperm Whale, these guys are a fair bit smaller then Livyatan and found in the shallower waters, can be passive tamed, get a pack bonus to swim speed and damage resistance when you have at least 2, stacking more based on number of whales.

acrophyseter.thumb.jpg.eb4dec54ec41906bee85cad5119395f1.jpg

Moeritherium (hippo thing): Found in the shallows mainly by mangroves and hanging out on the sandbars, semi-aquatic animal that gathers underwater plants like the gilly-weed I mentioned at an increased rate (aquatic trike basically).

moeritherium.thumb.jpg.76bb962d7742b909f5deb4bf4041325d.jpg

And of course all of the already existing aquatic and semi-aquatic creatures would be found on this map as well, with penguins on the ice floes, a few Pteranodons, Quetzals, Pelagornis and Tapejara on the sandbars or in the skies, the usual swamp creatures in the mangroves, Carbonemys in the shallows, the occasional Baryonyx on the sandbars, etc.

Anyway I just feel like having more stuff to do in the water would be a fun direction for the game to go if Wildcard ever makes another DLC.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

As i mentioned it before in another aquatic DLC post, the problem would be the lack of berry gatherer. With all the things you mentioned, there are only two creatures capable of gathering berries, the Moeritherium and the carbonemys. And with a bit fantasy, the archelon. So its only three creatures. Thats not much and can cause a problem.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, BlueberryJackal said:

As i mentioned it before in another aquatic DLC post, the problem would be the lack of berry gatherer. With all the things you mentioned, there are only two creatures capable of gathering berries, the Moeritherium and the carbonemys. And with a bit fantasy, the archelon. So its only three creatures. Thats not much and can cause a problem.

hmmm... a berry gatherer... Moeritherium would definitely fill that role but I see where you're coming from. More creatures than the already existing water creatures and the ones I've suggested would definitely be good since most of the non-water creatures wouldn't be present on this map. We could definitely include the big crab thing from Aberration on this map as well as a couple more passive creatures and a low-tier aggressive beasty or two... suggestions?

for another berry gatherer, how about this guy:

Henodus: When tamed gathers berries or aquatic plants for you in a similar fashion to the Moschops, with the bonus of being able to also gather in water.

henodus.thumb.jpg.4e034e41de4d441ed9c826b1f10dd742.jpg

• Like 3

As somebody who exclusively plays under the name "Amfib" ingame, i support this idea.

dino suggestions:

Small octopus that can carry you a bit like gorilla 

Lobsters

hermit crabs

clams

glowing deep sea creatures other than current tired scorpions and stuff

__________________________________________________________________________________________________

areas:

"The center" style underwater bubbles

large caves that are kind of like how abberation is except it's water outside not the sun, could be similar to the center's giant central cave

water-filled caves and crevices for vacuum compartments everywhere.

non 8x damage air caves

pirate cove with atlas references

shipwrecks

deep sea, twilight sea

____________________________________________________________________________________________________

new items:

fabricator tier vacuum compartment or map-wide discount to 0 element for a vacuum compartment and removal of tek generator requirement  (its only fair for a water map)

surf boards

battleship motorboat base

Quay (changes height of water for creating canals)

tek flippers (attachment for tek boots)

submarines

____________________________________________________________________________________________________

map special features: 

tidal waves like in the movie interstellar which are 200ft tall.

most resources that would usually only occur on land in most cases appears in the sea. for instance wood, thatch. 

• Like 2

What would be needed would be that aquatic plants such as algae and corals found on The Island, for example, could be collected as berry bushes. And that corals give small amounts of wood, or better, fungal wood. And these aquatic plants should not give berries, but rather algae, corals and aquatic fruit, like mushrooms on the aberration.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Lucraft said:

What would be needed would be that aquatic plants such as algae and corals found on The Island, for example, could be collected as berry bushes. And that corals give small amounts of wood, or better, fungal wood. And these aquatic plants should not give berries, but rather algae, corals and aquatic fruit, like mushrooms on the aberration.

excellent idea. I think we should also be able to find regular berries on the teeny little islands or in the underwater caves though.

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Lucraft said:

And that corals give small amounts of wood, or better, fungal wood.

That doesn’t make any sense. Maybe a resource equivalent to wood, but it would make more sense if used as an equivalent to charcoal (like in Atlas) or maybe chitin. 

12 hours ago, Royalstar said:

That doesn’t make any sense. Maybe a resource equivalent to wood, but it would make more sense if used as an equivalent to charcoal (like in Atlas) or maybe chitin. 

Yes it's true, you're right. In saying that, I was thinking of a material that would replace wood. Fungal wood seemed to me the best choice for it to look like coral, but in the end, a new type of material would be better.

Just now, Lucraft said:

Yes it's true, you're right. In saying that, I was thinking of a material that would replace wood. Fungal wood seemed to me the best choice for it to look like coral, but in the end, a new type of material would be better.

Because finding trees in a map completely covered with water is like looking for life on the moon ... xD

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Lucraft said:

Because finding trees in a map completely covered with water is like looking for life on the moon ... xD

Some of the small islands would probably have some palm trees, but you’re right that wood would be much harder to find.  @avnas suggested shipwrecks, maybe wood could be harvested from them? 

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, avnas said:

would be nice if it had an underwater boss equivalent to the dragon on other maps but working like a summoned titan. maybe it could be a king whale or something

Yes of course ! There are several possibilities. I would have seen a Leviathan like Boss.

Posted (edited)

I love this idea! I had an idea for an Archipelago map once and seems many others have had a similar idea. For Rebreathers, maybe they can make the Diplocaulus more common on the map. Coral Reefs have coral, you should be able to make armor out of the Coral similar to Chiten. Sunken ruins and explorer notes. Like mentioned by someone earlier, the underworld from The Center, maybe with bubble entrances or Moonpools. More primitive underwater bases. If land is scarce, then Terrariums added in would be cool, (aquariums but with land animals and plants). Kelp forests that have yellow glows at night, and kelp bandages or cooking kelp in a campfire. The Center bubbles with creature spawns could be another spawn point, maybe an explorer note there about people who spawned there, built a small base (ruins), realized the bubble slowly moves over time but hs now stoped (could explain some of the ruinss leaving the water or patches of grass outside of the bubble), and used Diplocaulus to get to the surface. Other little things like Mosasaurs not being as wobbly so you can actually use them as a base or a TLC for the Plesiosaur would be appreciated. Shipyards with tons of ships sunken and sea scorpians. Lobsters, squids, sea snails, crabs and tropical fish would make great additions to the ocean. Maybe more sea creatures from the Cambrian period. Sunken obelisk. An island floating on the surface of the water. Underwater growbeds. Devs are adding an official map soon, or they said so, so let's get the word around and possibly make this a thing. Also, let's make less tek and flyers and more boats, ships and water mounts.

Edited by jamescoolcrafter15
  • Like 3

On 3/11/2019 at 5:41 PM, GmanPlaysGames said:

excellent idea. I think we should also be able to find regular berries on the teeny little islands or in the underwater caves though.

Yup, the islands would be like the tiny ones on the center (yes), so they would have Palm Trees, stones, small rocks and berrys, aswell as small dinos like seagulls, dilos and dodos. Maybe make the seaguls squack when waves are coming.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, jamescoolcrafter15 said:

I love this idea! I had an idea for an Archipelago map once and seems many others have had a similar idea. For Rebreathers, maybe they can make the Diplocaulus more common on the map. Coral Reefs have coral, you should be able to make armor out of the Coral similar to Chiten. Sunken ruins and explorer notes. Like mentioned by someone earlier, the underworld from The Center, maybe with bubble entrances or Moonpools. More primitive underwater bases. If land is scarce, then Terrariums added in would be cool, (aquariums but with land animals and plants). Kelp forests that have yellow glows at night, and kelp bandages or cooking kelp in a campfire. The Center bubbles with creature spawns could be another spawn point, maybe an explorer note there about people who spawned there, built a small base (ruins), realized the bubble slowly moves over time but hs now stoped (could explain some of the ruinss leaving the water or patches of grass outside of the bubble), and used Diplocaulus to get to the surface. Other little things like Mosasaurs not being as wobbly so you can actually use them as a base or a TLC for the Plesiosaur would be appreciated. Shipyards with tons of ships sunken and sea scorpians. Lobsters, squids, sea snails, crabs and tropical fish would make great additions to the ocean. Maybe more sea creatures from the Cambrian period. Sunken obelisk. An island floating on the surface of the water. Underwater growbeds. Devs are adding an official map soon, or they said so, so let's get the word around and possibly make this a thing. Also, let's make less tek and flyers and more boats, ships and water mounts.

Excellent ideas! This is exactly what you need! Also, I would have seen for a primal diving outfit, fins made with bits of skin, a snorkel to breathe, and ... that's all.

Posted (edited)

An ocean DLC was wanted for years... a map for it was made and it was close to coming out.... but they changed it from an Ark DLC map to a standalone game called "Atlas" ..... it was literaly a DLC map called Ocean that could be seen in Atlas when it came out when you scrolled past the quit button and found Ark host server/singleplayer option which showed it as Ocean among SE and island :/

they abandoned the game, there wont be any more DLC's

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t5kFJLgSN-w

Edited by Klakky
  • Facepalm 2

3 hours ago, Klakky said:

An ocean DLC was wanted for years... a map for it was made and it was close to coming out.... but they changed it from an Ark DLC map to a standalone game called "Atlas" ..... it was literaly a DLC map called Ocean that could be seen in Atlas when it came out when you scrolled past the quit button and found Ark host server/singleplayer option which showed it as Ocean among SE and island :/

they abandoned the game, there wont be any more DLC's

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t5kFJLgSN-w

That isn't true, not at all. The game wasn't abandoned, they just came out with the Homestead Update. More Structures+, TLC 3, Season Pass 2 and more free content is all coming this year. Also, we're not suggesting they copy Atlas, this map would have islands but they will be miniscule to the ocean.

• Like 2

On 3/12/2019 at 11:12 AM, Lucraft said:

You can make a mangrove forest. and with the introduction of the kajak, you can travel around much easier. this could also be the place to find Moeritheriums.

• Like 2

Posted (edited)

Came up with a few new ideas.

Floropedia

Early game item, used for cataloging corals, sponges, and sea plants, although you could catalog island plants aswell. Tells you what resources or food can be harvested from it, how dangerous it is and a short description. It's like a book so you can flip through and read it. Early game item for knowing the danger levels, I assume many areas will be dangerous, especially deap sea. It can also catalog posinous fish (maybe animals) and tell you if they are posinous or not.

Rope Harpoon

Used basically like a Grapple underwater, it can pull in smaller animals like fish or mollusks towards you, or grapple on to some larger animals.

Fish Net

Attachment for the raft, or boats for that matter (there would be many different boats), it can pull up large amounts of mollusks, lobsters, crabs, fish and even other animals, but you would probably have to remove them before they cut the net. Fish Baskets would also be able to capture Lobsters.

I assume Anomalocaris would be GREAT at catching Trilobites aswell, like how it did in real life.

- Bigger building limit for rafts, so we can use them as bases.

Maybe ruins in the world, or explorer notes, could show that the world once had land, but then it flooded, or sank. Possible, (probably not) npc mer people.

I think that the farther into the Abyss you go, the colder it should get, and then it starts getting warmer again once you reach the thermal zones. The thermal areas should have tubeworms around them. The heat should be harvestable with a machine, and could be used as energy. You would also need better submarines, or upgrade the current one, the deeper you go. Unlike the center, we should not have such low height limits, and expand them for depth.

PvP wise, new weapons could be Bang Sticks, Water Taser and Diving Knives.

Buildings underwater, especially the primitive ones, should be more dome and tube shaped, with lots of glass.

Underwater Bubbles were mentioned by someone earlier, I think I got a good spawn list for them.

- Dodos

- Dilos

- Carbonemys

- Dimetrodon

- Diplocaulus

- Parasaur

For a starting cave, this could be one of them, with a direct moonpool to underwater.

File:West Lava Cave (The Center).jpg

Keep this page on the front page and get the word around to the devs, so the next map that comes this year could be this.

Edited by jamescoolcrafter15
  • Like 3

I support this idea 110%.  In fact, I made my own post about this a couple days ago, although it hasn't gotten any responses (probably because yours was here first).  I actually debated adding my suggestions as a reply here, but I thought it might do better on its own since I went into more detail.  Oh well. :)

Anyway, here's my post with the ideas I had for an ocean-centered map:
https://survivetheark.com/index.php?/forums/topic/415983-new-mapdlc-suggestion-rip-tide/

• Like 2