What kind of dino is better to make Alpha Dragon on Island?

skitoledo

I've been trying this on single player, since the patch has us down, and I've been getting whomped.

Been slowly working my way up from 16k health and 600 melee theriz. Up to 25k and 800 md as of last attempt and got beat in a straight up boxing match with me on a pig. Seems like it would be pretty chaotic trying to keep the theriz healed with cakes. 

Went through 2400 kibble trying to keep the pig fed.

10 minutes ago, Nuggie said:

I've been trying this on single player, since the patch has us down, and I've been getting whomped.

Been slowly working my way up from 16k health and 600 melee theriz. Up to 25k and 800 md as of last attempt and got beat in a straight up boxing match with me on a pig. Seems like it would be pretty chaotic trying to keep the theriz healed with cakes. 

If I'm not mistaken, the theris automatically start eating the cakes to heal if they drop to 80% HP so you'd just load each of them up with cakes and let them take care of themselves.  I'm sure someone else can confirm or correct, I don't have good theris of my own and have only done this through alpha Ragnarok with rexes. 

I did do the island dragon on single player to test if my rexes would be able to handle it(spawned in rexes slightly worse than mine) and was able to get beta done, but didn't try alpha.  One more breath would've killed any that were hit by every breath though so I seriously doubt I'd have even come close to getting it done on alpha.

2 hours ago, iHartOvi8 said:

If I'm not mistaken, the theris automatically start eating the cakes to heal if they drop to 80% HP so you'd just load each of them up with cakes and let them take care of themselves.  I'm sure someone else can confirm or correct, I don't have good theris of my own and have only done this through alpha Ragnarok with rexes. 

I did do the island dragon on single player to test if my rexes would be able to handle it(spawned in rexes slightly worse than mine) and was able to get beta done, but didn't try alpha.  One more breath would've killed any that were hit by every breath though so I seriously doubt I'd have even come close to getting it done on alpha.

The main thing is that you need to watch the health of the Theri if you are gonna let it auto eat the Cake when it reach that threshold. It doesn't instantly heal but regen over time until the buff is gone, so if its health gets too low, back off, and let it heal up from the cake, otherwise it will still die by the dragon, especially the enflamed debuff caused by dragon's breath.

Its easier if you do it with a full 10-man tribe, but a bit tricky to call off the theris if soloing or less than full.

5 hours ago, Nuggie said:

Separate Theriz in 2 whistle groups, put a pig on passive healing in some corner, ride Yuty yourself, rotate theriz groups to heal them up near the pig, keep yuty buffs up.

Also raw stats are good and all but you do need good saddles on theriz and other dinos as well. Each Theriz should have enough cakes in their inventory to last the whole battle.

As you can see it is a bit more tactical than in-your-face boxing match.

58 minutes ago, Nuggie said:

Wait, I thought berry eaters were immune to the dragon breathe, or is it just the damage portion? What other effect does the breathe have other than the slow damage over time (DoT)?

I wonder how this crap keeps spreading. Herbivores have some resistance to direct fire damage, yes. But it doesnt help in any way against percentage-based damage like Dragon's breath. The only reason some players prefer Theriz to Rexes against Dragon boss is their ability to heal with cakes and survive a little bit longer.

1 hour ago, DarthaNyan said:

Separate Theriz in 2 whistle groups, put a pig on passive healing in some corner, ride Yuty yourself, rotate theriz groups to heal them up near the pig, keep yuty buffs up.

Also raw stats are good and all but you do need good saddles on theriz and other dinos as well. Each Theriz should have enough cakes in their inventory to last the whole battle.

As you can see it is a bit more tactical than in-your-face boxing match.

I wonder how this crap keeps spreading. Herbivores have some resistance to direct fire damage, yes. But it doesnt help in any way against percentage-based damage like Dragon's breath. The only reason some players prefer Theriz to Rexes against Dragon boss is their ability to heal with cakes and survive a little bit longer.

From the tests I was doing yesterday the 20k theriz outlasted the 25k rexes (with slightly better saddles since my rex saddle is better than my theriz saddle. 85-90 on the theriz and 95-100 on the rex. I'm new to this single player gm command stuff, I'm probably doing it the hard way. Im digressing) 9/10 times. With only a pig passive healing. Side by side in the same fight. Seems like there is something else going on there.

Pardon my ignorance, I'm new to the boss fights.

I've defeated alpha dragon with rexes at one point but it was incredibly difficult and by the nose. We wiped the first time. The dragon does a % damage with it's breath. You'll want to pump melee hard on your rexes so they can deliver blows before they fall. A really good daedon is a needed addition, and of course your Yuty. 

Really good Theri pack is also a fantastic suggestion, or an Allo pack for the added bleed. I think no matter what you pick though it's going to be an incredibly tough fight.

As someone who fairly frequently runs dragon on island, don't run it, test it before you do run it, since patch, unmanned therizinos don't eat veggie cakes as often as they should be, I've lost like most of my therizinos this patch because apparently 10/18 of them decided to not eat a single veggie cake (i poop u not) till death when they had a massive time span to eat even just one. Of course they're easy to raise, but it's just a warning incase you do go for runs (Official).

4 hours ago, CryptidHorror said:

I've defeated alpha dragon with rexes at one point but it was incredibly difficult and by the nose. We wiped the first time. The dragon does a % damage with it's breath. You'll want to pump melee hard on your rexes so they can deliver blows before they fall. A really good daedon is a needed addition, and of course your Yuty. .

Bingo, if it gets off five breaths at 20% HP each it's not gonna matter if you had a million HP.  My rexes are 40k HP with MD currently ranging from 1311 to the high 1300s with most of them at 1355(if I remember correctly without checking) so when I tested beta dragon on single player I gave them all 40k HP and 1250 MD with a few at about 1300 MD.  It got off four breaths and judging by the amount of time after the fourth, was probably just about to hit me with a fifth when it went down on beta.  Most of the rexes were at about 4k HP at the end so they apparently lost another 4k on top of the HP lost by the four breaths.

So these stats seem very borderline on beta, I wouldn't trust any lower on either stat on beta and I'm not sure how much higher you'd need to go on MD to be able to trust it on alpha...  I might test it eventually but it's just so time consuming waiting for them to heal up, even with daeodons, once you level their HP to 40k.  Regardless, it'd be very sketchy since you obviously need every bit of damage and any rexes getting stuck on anything or just being little a-holes in general is gonna keep you from getting it done.

4 hours ago, Pellao said:

As someone who fairly frequently runs dragon on island, don't run it, test it before you do run it, since patch, unmanned therizinos don't eat veggie cakes as often as they should be, I've lost like most of my therizinos this patch because apparently 10/18 of them decided to not eat a single veggie cake (i poop u not) till death when they had a massive time span to eat even just one. Of course they're easy to raise, but it's just a warning incase you do go for runs (Official).

49 minutes ago, Jopis said:

Tested beta last week on oficial, 18 therizinos+ yuty. theries had 15k hp 1000+ md. Every thery had 25 cakes and 90+ sadles and only 4 of them survived. Checked bodies and some still have 25 cakes in inventory. 

Eeeek.. thats scary. A new thread should be made to shine light on this issue.

@Jen @Chris

2 hours ago, skitoledo said:

My theris are being born with 8k hp and 449% melee ...

Now I'm wondering if today does Alpha Dragon with theris with cakes or not :(

My English is not good, and reading the above comments, I was confused lol

My question is to do on Official Server

Yes. Those are good stats (ok hp.. but good melee) make 100% imprint on each for 9.2k hp 500~ melee. Level them to 21k hp rest melee%.

You need to not get hit by fire breath all theriz at one time.. make them in 2 different groups, send 1 group in each time, then rest will heal 

7 hours ago, d1nk said:

Yes. Those are good stats (ok hp.. but good melee) make 100% imprint on each for 9.2k hp 500~ melee. Level them to 21k hp rest melee%.

You need to not get hit by fire breath all theriz at one time.. make them in 2 different groups, send 1 group in each time, then rest will heal 

Oh, thanks a lot for this feedback :D

Archived