s+ Is this the last of S+?

Zahlea

So, all I know is that Homestead is a large implementation of S+ and if there's been more information about it, I've missed it. Do you guys think there will be:

1. Another pass working on bugfixes, refinement or reworking the existing integration?
  2. Another pass adding more of S+ into vanilla?
    Here, I'm thinking things like Glass set, hideable wires, half walls, dynamic gates, etc.

Funny how a single guy made this incredible mod yet an allegedly professional group of developers are having such a hard time adding just the smallest bits to Official. How about making ceilings sit flush when snapped to a foundation? Or snapping pillars to the underside of ceilings without the top bit sticking out. These are some of the most fundamental parts of S+'s building improvements and somehow they got completely omitted. Here are a bunch more that should be added and aren't all cheaty.

- All items can be picked up
- No building height limit
- Foundations are stackable
- Ceilings snap flush with foundations
- Crop plots snap to foundations & ceilings
- Sloped walls can snap to the bottom of walls & ceilings
- Foundations can snap to ceilings if there is ground support (ie other side of bridge)
- Gateways snap in line with fence foundations
- Storage boxes snap to each other
- Wires & pipes can be hidden & verticals are only 1 wall high
- Pillars (3 sizes: 1, 3 & 5 walls high, do not protrude through ceilings)
- Ramps (1 wall high by 1 foundation long, railings can be snapped to the edges, stair model variant)
- Railings (when snapped to ramp uses a sloped model)
- Staircases (1 wall high with a 90 degree twist, can flip direction)
- Standing & Wall Torch (doesn't use fuel, flame can be dyed, automatically turns on/off, adjustable intensity)
- Elevators (tracks resized to 1 wall tall, platforms to 1x1, 3x2 & 5x3, can set stops, better snapping to foundations)
- Electrical Outlet (can be hidden, sparks disabled & connecting wires hidden)
- Industrial Grinder (turn on/off in inventory, can grind/craft all at once, can make map specific resources)

1 hour ago, AndrewLB said:

Funny how a single guy made this incredible mod yet an allegedly professional group of developers are having such a hard time adding just the smallest bits to Official. How about making ceilings sit flush when snapped to a foundation? Or snapping pillars to the underside of ceilings without the top bit sticking out. These are some of the most fundamental parts of S+'s building improvements and somehow they got completely omitted. Here are a bunch more that should be added and aren't all cheaty.

- Foundations can snap to ceilings if there is ground support (ie other side of bridge)
- Ramps (1 wall high by 1 foundation long, railings can be snapped to the edges, stair model variant)
- Standing & Wall Torch (doesn't use fuel, flame can be dyed, automatically turns on/off, adjustable intensity)
- Elevators (tracks resized to 1 wall tall, platforms to 1x1, 3x2 & 5x3, can set stops, better snapping to foundations)
- Industrial Grinder (turn on/off in inventory, can grind/craft all at once, can make map specific resources)

This is exactly what we need. Most of that I could see being added. Theres a few things they might not like (Foundation extensions, no height limit, grinder mods) but the rest seems like it could be added to Phase 2.

Great post, if you have any more things to be added from S+ make sure to do another list :P 

I think its a real good chance there will be phase 2 in a timely manner. If we keep constructive threads like this one going (mods please dont send it to the boneyard (suggestion forum)) WC can easier see the suggestions

8 hours ago, OtterlyRidiculous said:

they said phase 1 so im going assuming another pass or two if we are lucky

Wasn't Phase 1 when they implemented the ability to pick up items? I hope you're right however! :D 

6 hours ago, AndrewLB said:

This is a very good list! They are all very reasonable and I hope they do implement them. However, as I've understood the forums, stackable foundations was tried but too easy to exploit so the best we can hope for there is a server setting (pretty please?!! :Jerblove:) for it, I assume. I also think that the non-fuel-using torches are considered cheaty by them, unfortunately. I mean, I do, too, but they're just so damn convenient, I got over it ;) But the snapping ones seem really non-controversial and I really hope they get to it!! Like, the main reason I got S+ in the beginning, was so that I could get the roofs in line with foundations! I'm surprised they didn't implement that.

I fully agree with @d1nk about the height limit - I got the impression that's something they want to enforce.

About the resizing of elevator tracks, I think that would be too difficult of a change to impose to all the already-build tracks... 

5 hours ago, d1nk said:

I think its a real good chance there will be phase 2 in a timely manner. 

Oh, I really, really hope you're right!! ?

5 hours ago, d1nk said:

If we keep constructive threads like this one going (mods please dont send it to the boneyard (suggestion forum)) WC can easier see the suggestions

❤️

7 hours ago, AndrewLB said:

invisible electrical wiring or piping is major no no for pvp balance.

12 hours ago, Zahlea said:

So, all I know is that Homestead is a large implementation of S+ and if there's been more information about it, I've missed it. Do you guys think there will be:

1. Another pass working on bugfixes, refinement or reworking the existing integration?
  2. Another pass adding more of S+ into vanilla?
    Here, I'm thinking things like Glass set, hideable wires, half walls, dynamic gates, etc.

Maybe. I hope so. But don't cross your finger on Automation though, thats about what I can say.

10 hours ago, AndrewLB said:

I am going to bold a few things that I find it unbalanced:

• Allowing pickup of structures without timer makes the game really unbalanced... mostly in PvP especially since there isn't such thing as separate rule set branch. Having a timer before it locks in place is a suitable balance against it.
  • Likewise, allowing wires, outlets and pipes to be hidden breaks the PvP perspective and makes it unbalanced, and remember: there isn't a separate rule set branch. Much as I hate to see them, unless there is a separate rule set which may never happen, this would never happen.
  • Theres a reason why torch lights up: it needs something to burn to work. Having no fuel on it for it to light up makes no sense; you are better off with electricity if "no fuel" on it is what you are looking for (Yes, I am aware some people use torch to incubate eggs, but my point still stands).
  • I completely disagree to allowing grinder to make map specific resources. Much as I want this, it would make visiting to other maps other than for boss redundant, and this would result in mostly deserted servers waiting to get killed.

Me personally, I would like to broaden the "S+ Integration" concept into a "Building System rework" (but that doesn't sound as good :P ). I'd like most of @AndrewLB's list above (as has been discussed), but I would also like to add:

• Stackable foundations server option Because I realise this is improbable to get as an official feature.
  • Glass set (Metal tier) I prefer the look of this a lot over greenhouse, as well as the different models.
  • Railings that aren't just rotated fences (not sure if this is a planned fix to Homestead).
  • The new seamless crop plots!
  • Server option to enable dino scanning from the tek transmitter Again, I realise the improbability of it being an official feature.
  • Server option to allow travelling to bosses from the tek transmitter/teleporter (the large, stationary ones) Another improbable official feature
  • Dynamic gate Or at the minimum a size between the current ordinary and behemoth ones

Outside of S+, I would like to see the following changes:

• Fridge and Preserving bin 1 wall high and able to be placed on top of each other (or at least be able to place a roof above one and another on that roof)
  • Different size crop plots can hold different amounts of berries (a large crop plot could then be viable for berries/crops as well, because of the increased capacity)
  • "Window" that can be put in a door frame - i.e. a door without a handle, so that the door frame and window-door can be used to achieve cool looking builds (easy addition, lots of influence)
  • 2 high, 1 wide doors, for those people that can't walk straight through the ordinary doors (doesn't have to look like the current one where the door is the full height of the frame, the door could be 1,5 walls high and the door frame covering 3 sides of the door).
  • More decorative items (just starting with the simplest I can think of):
    • All dinos can yield a trophy (like if you don't harvest the body immediately, you could choose from the radial menu to "take trophy" which puts the creature's head in your inventory for mounting on a wall trophy base)
    • More wall trophy bases of different shapes and materials
    • Plant pot - put a seed in it and it will grow to that shape (but won't yield berries/crops, or at least very little - it's for decoration)
    • Different frames for paintings

If I can dream big, I would prefer that the following structures were wiped and redone:

• Ramp, sloped roof, stairs - I believe we only need one of these: a 1 wall high, 1 foundation wide sloped ramp that can be switched to stairs. Maybe a sloped roof could be needed as well, but that's it. 3 versions is too much.
  • Elevator tracks resized to 1 wall tall, platforms to 1x1 with stops (like S+)
  • Stairs are 1 wall high with 90 degree twist

I do realise the problem with wiping existing structures, which is why this is categorised under "dreaming big" :P However, I do think it could be possible: for instance by leaving all existing structures as is, disabling the engrams and only allow the new versions to be built, while setting a deadline a few months in the future when the old structures would be wiped (why not allow 100% resource back for demolishing those structures as well?). Sure, a lot of people might still get mad but I'm wondering if it would be as bad as when the flyer nerf hit, Homestead broke a lot of things or any of the other occasions when the forums were set on fire...

6 hours ago, Vaculity said:

Maybe. I hope so. But don't cross your finger on Automation though, thats about what I can say.

Yeah, I agree, I'm not. I'm convinced automation will not make it into the game. I don't see it fitting within my impression of what the devs' vision for the game is. For the same reason I agree about the torches. I do prefer the S+ torches to the electricity run ones because I like the colour of the light better. I wish there was a way of changing the electric ligths' colour to that of the torches.

6 hours ago, Vaculity said:

Likewise, allowing wires, outlets and pipes to be hidden breaks the PvP perspective and makes it unbalanced

I don't play PvP so I must admit I don't know why this breaks the PvP perspective. Do you mind elaborating on it?

2 hours ago, Zahlea said:

. For the same reason I agree about the torches. I do prefer the S+ torches to the electricity run ones because I like the colour of the light better. I wish there was a way of changing the electric ligths' colour to that of the torches.

I believe we can still dye the electric lights to change the colour. Is that what you mean? 

37 minutes ago, d1nk said:

I believe we can still dye the electric lights to change the colour. Is that what you mean? 

Nice! Not sure... I haven't used the neither electric lights nor dyes very much :P What I'm thinking of is that undyed, the torch light is a much warmer (more yellow?) light than the cold, industrial light from the electric lights. Do you know what I mean?

57 minutes ago, Zahlea said:

Nice! Not sure... I haven't used the neither electric lights nor dyes very much :P What I'm thinking of is that undyed, the torch light is a much warmer (more yellow?) light than the cold, industrial light from the electric lights. Do you know what I mean?

Yes completely. I think its the flicker :) Seems more "alive". Angler Gel works wonders in the standing torches, very nice blue glow :Jerblove:

10 hours ago, Zahlea said:

I don't play PvP so I must admit I don't know why this breaks the PvP perspective. Do you mind elaborating on it?

From what I understand, there needs to be something connected to generator to power up any electric machines or lights, or turrets. If the wires are exposed, its their fault for not protecting it well enough, since if that is the only wire powering nearly all of the turret, anyone can simply break the wiring and they end up with no defense other than their dino.

Hiding the wiring out of outside view should be done inside the building. If hiding wiring visually regardless where its positioned, its only going to make it somewhat unbalanced since nobody but the person who built it will know where the weak spot is.

12 hours ago, d1nk said:

Yes completely. I think its the flicker :) Seems more "alive". Angler Gel works wonders in the standing torches, very nice blue glow :Jerblove:

Gotta try this! I've heard about it, but haven't gotten around to trying it :P

11 hours ago, Rattasaur said:

What I liked most about the S+ Torches is that they woukd turn on and off at sunset & sunrise

Yes, me too... I really do get the reasoning behind not allowing it though... but the electrical lights don't have this... why not introduce a "timer switch" which you can set to a certain time that auto turns on/off the electric lights? I mean, that even exists in the real world ;) 

5 hours ago, Vaculity said:

From what I understand, there needs to be something connected to generator to power up any electric machines or lights, or turrets. If the wires are exposed, its their fault for not protecting it well enough, since if that is the only wire powering nearly all of the turret, anyone can simply break the wiring and they end up with no defense other than their dino.

Hiding the wiring out of outside view should be done inside the building. If hiding wiring visually regardless where its positioned, its only going to make it somewhat unbalanced since nobody but the person who built it will know where the weak spot is.

Thank you! Now I understand better. 

18 hours ago, Zahlea said:

Outside of S+, I would like to see the following changes:

• Fridge and Preserving bin 1 wall high and able to be placed on top of each other (or at least be able to place a roof above one and another on that roof)
  • Different size crop plots can hold different amounts of berries (a large crop plot could then be viable for berries/crops as well, because of the increased capacity)
  • "Window" that can be put in a door frame - i.e. a door without a handle, so that the door frame and window-door can be used to achieve cool looking builds (easy addition, lots of influence)
  • 2 high, 1 wide doors, for those people that can't walk straight through the ordinary doors (doesn't have to look like the current one where the door is the full height of the frame, the door could be 1,5 walls high and the door frame covering 3 sides of the door).
  • More decorative items (just starting with the simplest I can think of):
    • All dinos can yield a trophy (like if you don't harvest the body immediately, you could choose from the radial menu to "take trophy" which puts the creature's head in your inventory for mounting on a wall trophy base)
    • More wall trophy bases of different shapes and materials
    • Plant pot - put a seed in it and it will grow to that shape (but won't yield berries/crops, or at least very little - it's for decoration)
    • Different frames for paintings

I thought of one thing I forgot to add to the list! That's one of the major things I've been thinking of as well :P 

• Make foundations and ceilings seamless.

• 2 weeks later...
7 minutes ago, RenobandStit said:

Nothing yet, but I would love to see them add the nanny, gardener and dodo nest to the official servers as well.

To be honest, I highly doubt that will be added, if you forgive me for saying it. Their previous actions have convinced me they're not inclined towards any automation.

9 hours ago, RenobandStit said:

It would still be really nice to have those though, makes life a lot easier for people who work.

I'm not arguing that :) They're not for me, but I don't begrudge others them if they want them. I just wanted to tell you not to hold your breath waiting for them because the impression I've got is that they won't be implemented, so that you don't expect it and end up disappointed. But hey, what do I know? I might be wrong! :D 

Archived