Prime fish meat from Sabertooth salmon - tips?

Weiss

My main server is SE, and we have some sabertooth salmons around the obelisks and in a few other water sources. There are no other water tames on the map I can harvest prime fish meat from.

Do big fish give more prime meat than small ones?

According to the wiki the sickle is the best way to get that meat, followed by the metal pick and therizino. Are there any other tames I can use to harvest with good efficiency? I can go to any map to tame creatures not native to SE.

Does it make sense to tame and level the salmons (Similar to sheep and mutton)?

I don't believe you can tame Salmon except by using a fish basket from the Aberration server.  But even then, they aren't breedable like Sheep are so there's not a big point in doing it.

To answer your main concern, yes the bigger ones give more prime than the smaller ones (level doesn't matter much).  There are a few tames that will increase your rate of prime fish gathering, namely the Icthyornis (those annoying item stealing birds) which will cause any small dino or fish it kills to have a sparkly aura on it, allowing you to harvest prime meat or fish depending on what it killed.

If you are brave, or can tame a good Ichthyosaurus (the dolpin thingy), then you can go looking for the Leedsichthys (giant boat eating whale) which you can interact with to obtain large amounts of free prime fish without needing to attack it.  It also won't attack you back, but it will attack any boats you bring near it.

Good strong Mantis and equip it with the highest damage asc sickle you can get your hands on is the best way I know of , bring preserving salt with you if you can make it so your not playing beat the clock as it spoils on you. I leave it all right in the mantis and just carry him home with the wyvern , just leave everything you gather in the mantis so its not eating your primes if its a long flight home.

Archived