I want to get back into ARK.. Solo

I've been playing this game on and off since early 2016. Latest playthrough was Extinction PvE, but unfortunately my tribe was inactive so I lost all motivation to play. Lost a ton of dinos and some cool Tek stuff but it's all good.

I'm mainly a PvE player, I love building and breeding on official, what makes me want to return is the latest kibble and structures rework. I'm thinking of joining a map as a solo, on official, and i'm unsure as to which map to play on as well. I love the island, but i've played it sooo many times, scorched is alright but the storms put me off, aberration is cool but delving deep solo seems hell, and extinction is probably best enjoyed as a group. Any ideas fellas?

11 minutes ago, MayonnaisePlease said:

I've been playing this game on and off since early 2016. Latest playthrough was Extinction PvE, but unfortunately my tribe was inactive so I lost all motivation to play. Lost a ton of dinos and some cool Tek stuff but it's all good.

I'm mainly a PvE player, I love building and breeding on official, what makes me want to return is the latest kibble and structures rework. I'm thinking of joining a map as a solo, on official, and i'm unsure as to which map to play on as well. I love the island, but i've played it sooo many times, scorched is alright but the storms put me off, aberration is cool but delving deep solo seems hell, and extinction is probably best enjoyed as a group. Any ideas fellas?

I got wiped by a huge alpha tribe on pvp ORP, which was the last attempt at pvp servers i was trying. Killed all my tames and wiped every piece, literally, because i was in render distance and they confused me with an insider/undermesher named Harvey Weinstein.

ANYWAYS, I am now on pvE permanently because i’m tired of losing everything. I’m probably going to start on the Island. I recommend finding a dead server and transferring to a busy one later for trading.

You're going to need an Extinction base to farm dust for trading anyways.. but whats limiting you to one map? I get one map is your main, I would say ideally The Center or Rag (for the high weighted spawns / resources) but that comes at a price.. they're packed.

I vote on TC. Most PvE servers are tame capped these days. What about your old Extinction? Any friendlies you can ally with / get a spot given to you? 

57 minutes ago, Demerus said:

So far the patch has been a disaster. I would wait a bit longer to jump back in.

^ I second this assessment.  I went to play SP right after I gave up trying to do a meat run last night.  Ended up crashing and losing my mount and body .  I don't think anywhere is safe right now to play this game.

2 hours ago, d1nk said:

You're going to need an Extinction base to farm dust for trading anyways.. but whats limiting you to one map? I get one map is your main, I would say ideally The Center or Rag (for the high weighted spawns / resources) but that comes at a price.. they're packed.

I vote on TC. Most PvE servers are tame capped these days. What about your old Extinction? Any friendlies you can ally with / get a spot given to you? 

I feel like as a solo maintaining more than 1 base is extra hassle for someone that plays other games but I'm willing to try that out and see how it goes. I played rag and thoroughly enjoyed it but what put me off was how pointless it was to try and get from place to place on a land dino, all the valleys and whatnot. I could be wrong though, i'm sure there's paths around.

I do have people from my old server, maybe i'll contact them when i'm established someplace else. I hate asking for stuff when i'm starting out again haha

Just now, MayonnaisePlease said:

I feel like as a solo maintaining more than 1 base is extra hassle for someone that plays other games but I'm willing to try that out and see how it goes. I played rag and thoroughly enjoyed it but what put me off was how pointless it was to try and get from place to place on a land dino, all the valleys and whatnot. I could be wrong though, i'm sure there's paths around.

I do have people from my old server, maybe i'll contact them when i'm established someplace else. I hate asking for stuff when i'm starting out again haha

I can see that. I also like to play no fliers every now and then, sometimes its a looong way back up (canyon) What about The Center? Recently my cluster opened this map again and ive been having a blast.

@old tribes: You're just looking for a small spot to make a box with a doed, boxes etc, maybe they have some pillared land or such is all I mean. Maybe try bringing over some stuff to 'trade' them to allieviate the guilt? :P Maybe some premade metal or something.. easy to get on TC

2 hours ago, MayonnaisePlease said:

I'm on the fence though. Truly thinking about soloing abb but it sounds like such a pain.. And rag is awesome, featuring literally every biome plus scorched engrams. What i'd do to be a solo with reaper kings lol

Abb is challenging for sure. Great solo experience though. Outside Rockwell the rest is pretty easy (with prep) 

Are you planning on trading for tames etc or going 100% solo? I feel this will influence your map choice greatly. Try Ab solo man. Crab will be your best friend. 

Im kinda in same boat i played for years on and off on ps4 and played with friends, last time i played was solo and quit right before extinction came out, if i knew how useful cyropods and stuff from there was i would have stayed.

I started playing on pc just a few weeks ago as a solo and ended up joining another random solo dude who is around my experience (something ive never done before i usually like being solo) and we've been making great progress

Dont listen to the naysayers about official, i only play official and i havent come across any tame capped servers, my server is super friendly and i've already been invited in on tek cave alpha and brood alpha, could have done monkey but not high enough level

I've almost exclusively played on the island this whole time and am sick of it but im trying to "beat" this game once and for all so im working through.the maps

6 hours ago, d1nk said:

Abb is challenging for sure. Great solo experience though. Outside Rockwell the rest is pretty easy (with prep) 

Are you planning on trading for tames etc or going 100% solo? I feel this will influence your map choice greatly. Try Ab solo man. Crab will be your best friend. 

I plan on trading eventually, but for my main gameplay I like to do things solo. I have some experience playing abb solo, so I think i'll give it a try again. I loved the learning curve the map has to offer, and considering the latest update building is more flexible and so is taming, i'm pretty excited. I'll start there tomorrow!

11 hours ago, MayonnaisePlease said:

Tame a thylo,pump movement speed,valleys will be none existent and you can get around the map very fast.until you get fliers atleast

12 hours ago, MayonnaisePlease said:

I'm on the fence though. Truly thinking about soloing abb but it sounds like such a pain.. And rag is awesome, featuring literally every biome plus scorched engrams. What i'd do to be a solo with reaper kings lol

Aberration isn't very stable from my experience. So often I get bluescreens and disconnects, even when the server is empty. That's why I transferred most stuff and dinos off Aberration. I have much less connection issues and barely bluescreens on The Island and Ragnarok.

Most terrible and frustrating thing when you doisconnect while diving down into the trench with your drake. 

Unfortunately I can't leave the map completely because from time to time I need to tame a sheep, get a new wingsuit or tame a beetle.

5 hours ago, AdligerAdler said:

Aberration isn't very stable from my experience. So often I get bluescreens and disconnects, even when the server is empty. That's why I transferred most stuff and dinos off Aberration. I have much less connection issues and barely bluescreens on The Island and Ragnarok.

Most terrible and frustrating thing when you doisconnect while diving down into the trench with your drake. 

Unfortunately I can't leave the map completely because from time to time I need to tame a sheep, get a new wingsuit or tame a beetle.

See I found the opposite, Abb was one of the most stable maps for me (outside Island) You mention bluescreen, PS4? Im Xbox wonder if theres a difference between the two and that map

Archived